topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: E-mail client recommendations  (Read 36361 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: E-mail client recommendations
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 04:06 PM »
I'm liking Spicebird (it's been mentioned on DC a few times).
Based on Mozilla code, but there's a certain je ne sais quoi about it that I like very much, where I disliked Thunderbird for the same (read: nebulous) reasons.
Handles multiple accounts pretty well, and setup is 5-year-old-level easy.

That said, there are a few nits about it, like not being able to use T-bird extensions, that would probably not please some people.

YMMV, $0.02, etc...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 05:27 PM »
To me, probably the most critical feature of an offline email client is the quality of the stored content.  That's what makes the Bat awesome: it's not likely to screw up the files holding all the emails.  The program is quirky, but you can be fairly sure those emails are going to stay with you for a long time.  I have emails in there stored since 1996, no problem.  Crashes, blues screens, all sorts of migrations, etc...everything still stays perfectly intact.
That, plus great multiple account interface makes it in a class of its own.  That's why I stick to it despite all my constant bitching about the quirks.  i won't even sniff another client without that kind of rock-solid backend or multiple account features.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 06:19 PM »
I'm liking Spicebird (it's been mentioned on DC a few times).
Based on Mozilla code, but there's a certain je ne sais quoi about it that I like very much, where I disliked Thunderbird for the same (read: nebulous) reasons.
Handles multiple accounts pretty well, and setup is 5-year-old-level easy.

Je ne sais quoi indeed!

Just downloaded it to give it a try. I do like it better than TBird, and am also having a problem saying exactly why. Maybe it's because it feels lighter and smoother in some indefinable way compared to "the bird"?

Handles IMAP very nicely. And to your point, setup is a breeze. Gave it a Gmail account and password and it handled all the server settings for me. Nice! A few seconds later it synced a good number of folders and messages and still felt light and snappy afterwards

Hmm...gonna have to feed it for a week or two and then decide if it's allowed to stay.

Thx for the suggestion. :Thmbsup:

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 07:14 PM »
Just had a look at eM Client. What is that thing supposed to be? Where are the major advantages?

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 11:06 PM »
One thing that keeps me using Mulberry is its "Cabinets" feature.  I use sieve filters to filter my mail on my two university accounts into a variety of mailboxes, depending on various criteria.  I have a Mulberry cabinet that shows me just the mailboxes that are able to receive new mail, so I can see at a glance which mailboxes have new mail.  Mail in some mailboxes I know I want to look at right away, whereas others can wait.  When I use Thunderbird, I have to scroll through my MANY mailboxes to find which ones have new mail, and I find that rather inconvenient.  I also have a cabinet that holds just those mailboxes that I want to synchronize with mailboxes on my computer. With IMAP, I don't have to download messages, but I have 18 mailboxes whose contents I want to save on my hard drive.  Mulberry's Auto-Synchronize cabinet makes it very easy to do this.  Yet another cabinet I use is Copy Messages To.  It simply lists all the mailboxes in which I might want to move a message after reading it.  I haven't found this "cabinet" functionality in other email clients.  It's not the only reason I stay with Mulberry, but it's one that I really don't want to give up.  If there are more modern email clients that do have a similar feature, I'd like to know about them.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 01:09 PM »
Late to the thread, but I have to throw my hat into The Bat!'s ring for one simple reason: 33,000 emails. If you can find any other email client that can handle that many emails without slowing to a crawl or even down-right imploding I'm listening. Seriously.

Diva, I don't know if The Bat! mimics the Cabinet functionality well enough for you to take a look at it or not. There's a tab view that will only show you unread messages in your email accounts. There are configurable Virtual Folders that allow you to use powerful filters to show only the messages in the accounts/folders that match your criteria. Finally, there's a powerful filtering technology that allows you to manipulate/copy/move/delete any email anywhere by matching (or not matching) countless criteria. This powerful mail filtering technology is also harnessed for use in the creation of your virtual folders as well.

I've never used Cabinets, but Virtual Folders sounds similar to what you are asking for.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 01:38 PM »
Late to the thread, but I have to throw my hat into The Bat!'s ring for one simple reason: 33,000 emails. If you can find any other email client that can handle that many emails without slowing to a crawl or even down-right imploding I'm listening. Seriously.

Becky! from Rimarts can handle that easily.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that The Bat! has, but it's been my sole email client for over a decade.  My install currently handles 22 accounts with a mix of IMAP, POP3 and NNTP along with several hundreds of thousands of messages across them.  One of my most favourite apps ever.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 11:41 PM »
It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that The Bat! has, but it's been my sole email client for over a decade.

Never cared for Becky! and the fact that it doesn't have all the bells & whistles of The Bat! while costing twice as much as I paid for The Bat! doesn't help its case in my eyes, either.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 02:52 AM »
Another vote for M2. For me, how fast I can compose an email from anywhere is key. I have a single-key shortcut in opera that does that. E-mail integrated in the browser is pure win, was never able to do this with gmail.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012, 04:20 AM »
I liked Opera M2 for its "one box, virtual folders for on the fly classification" approach, but it would get slow after a certain size (i have years of email) and didn't support tags the way I would like. I need to revisit it though as there are many new versions since I last used it.

You should definitely revisit it. In the latest versions of Opera, the mail client is operating much faster with a large mailbase. The email database loads independently -after- Opera has started, so browser startup itself is a lot better with a lot of mail.

I also really like Postbox, especially as gmail is my primary email provider. Postbox's gmail support integration is by far the best I've seen.

I did, and you're right! It is much faster, it now also has more flexibility around tags, and it also allows to look at the imap mailboxes with folders, the traditional way, should you want to move things at the server level (incidentally that fixes another annoyance I had with M2, that when you moved an email on the server you ended up with duplicate copies in M2)

I also really like Postbox, especially as gmail is my primary email provider. Postbox's gmail support integration is by far the best I've seen.

Postbox has some nice touches that make it very efficient for every day email. It's only weakness is weakness on the contact front. I can easily live with a todo list or calendar that is not linked to my email, but contact information is something one needs when dealing with email. I'm looking into using memotoo/funambol synchronisation for thunderbird with postbox, will see how it goes

(a warning on things like funambol, memotoo, gist, nimble, plaxo sync etc.: add things one at a time, prepare for a lot of manual sync/clean duplicates and data/sync/clean duplicates and data cycles - less each time. Also, be very very careful sync'ing contact with gmail 1)if you have ever imported in the past a list into gmail, you'll get duplicates and b)it now adds all your G+ circles as contacts, and they get sync'd too. my phone is full of one-word contacts, grrr!)

bratliff

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2014, 09:24 AM »
For a great free email program try em client. It can access multiple email services. It will handle large databases.

BOB

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2014, 09:31 AM »
eM Client is not free.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2014, 10:16 AM »
eM Client is not free.

It's free for home use, right?

Pricing Options

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2014, 10:20 AM »
With max. 2 accounts? That's not "free" for a typical "power user", I guess. But hey, some *ix clients can only handle one...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2014, 11:27 AM »
With max. 2 accounts? That's not "free" for a typical "power user", I guess. But hey, some *ix clients can only handle one...

It's free in terms of you can use it for minimal uses for no cost.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 09:37 PM »
@Tuxman:
And a "power user" also knows how to auto forward messages for one account to another account, making a mess with rules and whatnot, I'll admit, but it would be possible.  :)

Ok, more serious now. What about FoxMail? I have used that in the past with several mail accounts and it worked quite well. In some areas actually better than Thunderbird some years back. It is still around and remained free as well.

If you can get over its Chinese roots (which is noticeable in the English translations on the website), it is a decent email client.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2014, 09:53 AM »
I've been happily using TheBat for over a decade (there is a discount on the forum for those interested).

I have about 800,000 emails stored in it.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2014, 06:09 PM »
I've been happily using TheBat for over a decade (there is a discount on the forum for those interested).

dayam! power user!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2014, 07:28 PM »

dayam! power user!

Seriously! :tellme:

If each email averaged 10 seconds to read, that's about 92.5 days worth of non-stop reading...  :huh:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2014, 07:53 PM »
About 300,000 of those are donationcoder forum alert emails -- i have written before about how i use emails as a low-tech backup system (in addition to the other redundant backup systems in place on DC) -- anytime a post is made, the post is emailed to me.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2014, 11:40 AM »
About 300,000 of those are donationcoder forum alert emails -- i have written before about how i use emails as a low-tech backup system (in addition to the other redundant backup systems in place on DC) -- anytime a post is made, the post is emailed to me.

that would be the most epic restore job in the universe

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2014, 12:53 PM »

Bloody bugger, Mouser!  :huh:

Speaking as a 'systems' person, that's insane doing that! ;D ;D ;D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2014, 11:28 AM »

Bloody bugger, Mouser!  :huh:

Speaking as a 'systems' person, that's insane doing that! ;D ;D ;D

Zoiks Scooby ... that's a literally more granular version of a brick level restore.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2014, 03:08 PM »
Zoiks Scooby ... that's a literally more granular version of a brick level restore.
-Stoic Joker (May 05, 2014, 11:28 AM)

That's an even better way to describe it. Yesiree! ;D

( Mouser should put in for a patent on it.  :P )