topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: General brainstorming for Note-taking software  (Read 841441 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: General brainstorming for Note-taking software
« Reply #850 on: July 27, 2012, 10:12 AM »
Speaking about taking notes in Excel, you can try XLnotes add-in that allows to take notes with Word documants, web pages and attachments. Great if you wanted to have pictures/documents in your comments.

A few people I know have mentioned this to me; they seem to like this add-on a lot.

But not me... Nooooo, I need to have every darned notes app out there. Alive or dead.   ;)

Thanks!

Jim

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #851 on: July 27, 2012, 10:20 AM »
^+1! ;D

It's an addiction many of us share.  :Thmbsup:

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #852 on: July 27, 2012, 10:33 AM »
+2 Addict too, big time.

I have almost settled on one, almost. Hasn't stopped me trying others really.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #853 on: July 27, 2012, 06:22 PM »
+3 Addict too.  And Editors.  Actually spent $250 on SlickEdit because of my addiction- even though I love it, that's a lot of scratch.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #854 on: August 26, 2012, 11:39 AM »
Just found cherrytree so thought updating this thread.

http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #855 on: August 26, 2012, 03:03 PM »
Another added to the list to try, thanks Mahesh

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #856 on: August 26, 2012, 09:18 PM »
+3 Addict too.  And Editors.  Actually spent $250 on SlickEdit because of my addiction- even though I love it, that's a lot of scratch.

Wow - you are truly a dedicated addict, wraith!

Jim

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #857 on: August 26, 2012, 09:22 PM »
I have copied some notes that seemed relevant to this discussion, extracted from a discussion thread in another forum - outlinersoftware.com that I contributed to.
The discussion extracts:
  • primarily cover aspects of InfoSelect v5 and v8 ("IS5 and IS8") and OneNote;
  • make mention of ClipGuru-->NoteFrog; Outlook, and Jello;

Discussion: Can we talk about Info Select?
(Opening Post)
Posted by razorboy - Aug 25, 2012 at 06:40 AM

I have two concerns: the software, and the forum.  The forum - http://tech.groups.y...om/group/InfoSelect/ - was last posted to on 23 July, 2012.  Many discussions were about leaving for Evernote.  I applied/registered, as one must do so in order to be accepted by the list owner.  However, it has been several days, and I have heard nothing.  So: is there another Info Select group, preferably one with living members?

I had IS 3, a long time ago, and loved it. (I still have the disk.) I now need IS again for organizational purposes.  I will probably only need the basic features, with which to create, save, and organize, zillions of pieces of information and data.  IS 10 has bad reviews from users, so no thanks.  This brings question #2: what is the oldest version of IS which can be run on Windows 7 64-bit?  Officially, IS 2007 – which I take it is version 9 – can run on it, but “full functionality is not guaranteed.” OK, I’m sure I could live with that.  So, is there anything earlier which will run on that OS?

And finally, if there is any competing software which has a tree structure and search structure exactly (or nearly) the same as IS?  I know there are all kinds of organizers, outliners, and PIMs, but I don’t know them.  If IS’s tree and search features are duplicated by another software, I will take a look.  Otherwise, I will probably live with the oldest version of IS which will run on my laptop OS.

Thanks very much to anyone who can address any of my questions.

Posted by Slartibartfarst - Aug 26, 2012 at 01:58 PM

@razorboy: Just some hasty notes. Not sure whether this might help, but here it is in case there is something useful to you from my experience - some of which may be common with yours.
I was a Lotus Agenda user since 1990. I have been an InfoSelect user since 1997.
I still very occasionally use Agenda(!), and I regularly use InfoSelect 8, and the latter runs just fine on a Win 7-64 laptop (Home Premium).
I also subscribe to the Yahoo IS User Group you mention, and have noticed that it has started to look pretty moribund. The IS developer (who took over the Admin/Manager role for it) seemed to have a Cavalier approach and scant regard for users’ needs, and this has apparently upset some users, who were saying they were looking to emigrate to Evernote. I don’t know how many may have made the switch. I had already been investigating Evernote by then anyway.

A query in a discussion in that group, about IS5, led me to reinstall my old copy of IS5 as an experiment, to prove that it too works just fine on a Win 7-64 laptop (Home Premium). I reported on that to the User Group.

Though it feels like I have trialled (and still trial) almost every PIM out there, I have not yet come across any other hierarchical 2-pane PIM (Personal Information Manager) that is quite as well-designed, consistently stable and useful as IS8. It is very good at what it does. Later versions that I tried looked pretty hopeless by comparison, and I did not consider them worth the investment - so I have stayed with IS8.
I also use NoteFrog (and before that, its predecessor Clip Guru), and have been a ß tester for it. It is an excellent Clipboard Information Manager, but it is not designed to be a PIM like IS8. It is NOT hierarchical, by the way.

A couple of years back, I started to use and compare Evernote and Microsoft OneNote. I have since settled for OneNote, since the OneNote database allows me to store ALL my data - including image data with any text in it, and the spoken/sung audio data (Yes!) - and index/search through it all (OCR for the image data), with the database being on a local hard drive. This all suits my peculiar needs, though it might not suit other peoples’ needs.

Incidentally, for a while now, I have been trialling Jello - which Integrates with Outlook, which integrates with OneNote. The possibilities seem endless, but I am just exploring.

Posted by Slartibartfarst - Aug 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM

@razorboy:
1. So, you tried IS 9 (2007) and 10, and found them inferior to IS 8?  IS 10 has really bad user reviews, I see.
Yes, I couldn’t see that IS9 was necessarily any better than IS8 - at least, not from my perspective. I don’t have any notes written up about it, but I recall that I thought IS9 seemed a bit of a regressive step. I very briefly played about with an earlier prototype version (I think it was) of IS10, when the IS/Yahoo forum was active (but again, no notes, sorry, though I did put my thoughts into the forum thread and you presumably can still read that material).
I couldn’t see the need for half the changes that were made/proposed for IS10, a good many of which seemed to be removal of previously otherwise stable functionality. Then there was the introduction of the feature of the “ribbon” interface.

The developer (and the forum users/members) seemed to be fixated on features (e.g., “ribbon” interface) rather than whether the functionality met their needs. Neglecting NEEDS is usually a classic error in software design/development, so if IS10 got any bad reviews (and it definitely did), then it’s arguably because of that rather than that IS10 is a “bad product” per se.
The needs never were defined (to my knowledge) and the classic step of prioritising them into A, B, C (A=mandatory, B=highly desirable, C= nice-to-have) seemed to have been omitted throughout. The whole exercise thus seemed appallingly confused and almost purposeless, and it was apparently being driven this way by the developer (go figure). Sadly, in restrospect, it seemed to have been an exercise in missed opportunity to improve the design in line with users’ needs.

I don’t think the IS10 developer produces “bad product” per se - at least, not from my experience. Even an egregiously bad design can be made operational, but that won’t necessarily make the design any better - e.g., the Maginot Line.

2. …led me to reinstall my old copy of IS5 as an experiment, to prove that it too works just fine on a Win 7-64 laptop (Home Premium).~~~~ How did you do that?  Did the installer do its job, or did you have to resort to hackery?
It was no problem at all - piece of cake. As with all my trial or old software, I deliberately install the software into a special directory of my own choosing and thus avoid installing the software into the Windows “Program Files” or “Program Files (x86)” directories - thus bypassing the need for extra system privileges that the OS puts on proggies using those directories. The only difficulty I recall was in ensuring I had the appropriate InfoSelect v5 (and later) English spelling and thesaurus files. I also have the IS database in a specially defined data area (for targetting of backups).

3. Do IS 9 and 10 not save audio (note) files?  Does Evernote?
I don’t know of any other PIM that handles words spoken/sung in audio files as text data AND that handles text embedded in images as text data. Furthermore, the smooth and uncluttered way in which OneNote does this is amazing. I only discovered a few days ago that if you put an mp3 song in OneNote, and paste the text of the lyrics below it, then when you play the mp3 in OneNote, it automatically tries to step down through and highlight the lines of the lyrics as they are being sung. That’s pretty smart. Of course, being able to search through the words in an audio file when you have no transcript is also pretty damn smart, and arguably just what you’d need in a note-taking PIM tool.
I think that in this regard OneNote leaves Evernote in the dust. Evernote would not be so far behind OneNote if they hadn’t crippled their client application so that you couldn’t have an OCR store of your text images - you are locked-in to being dependent on the cloud-based store for this. I detest such archaic business models that use lock-in in any shape or form.

4. I confess that I don’t know what It is meant by “hierarchical” in the context of describing these softwares. Please explain. (..blush..)
A flexible hierarchical categorisation tree is an immensely powerful tool for organising information into categories and for marshalling and communicating your thoughts on a complex subject - e.g., in writing a book or a report in sections and subsections, on a particular subject.

For IS8, imagine a diagram of a structured set of categories and sub-categories - e.g., an organisational hierarchy diagram - then turn it on its side, and what you have is a linear view of that in the LH pane of IS8 (the categories can be anything you want, and there is a way of mapping unstructured cross-categories too, which can be rather handy). The RH pane contains the relevant content material for each point in the hierarchy.

EXAMPLE:
   1.0 Parent (e.g. CEO)
    1.1 Child of the above parent. (e.g., Vice President #1)
    1.2 Child that is a parent (e.g., Vice President #2)
      1.2.1 Child of 1.2 (e.g., 1st Deputy Vice President to #2)
      1.2.2 Child of 1.2 (e.g., 2nd Deputy Vice President to #2)
         1.2.2.1 Child of 1.2.2
   2.0 Another parent - etc.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 09:27 PM by IainB, Reason: Minor corrections. »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #858 on: August 28, 2012, 01:41 AM »
More on the InfoSelect PIM:
As regards installing is8, is9 (called “2007“), and is10, you can install them either in the default directory or wherever else you might want them to go.
As with all my trial or old software, I deliberately install the software into a special directory of my own choosing and thus avoid installing the software into the Windows “Program Files” or “Program Files (x86)” directories - thus bypassing the need for extra system privileges that the OS puts on proggies using those directories. The only difficulty I recall was in ensuring I had the appropriate InfoSelect v5 (and later) English spelling and thesaurus files. I also have the IS database in a specially defined data area (for targetting of backups).

As a result of responding to the discussion thread Can we talk about Info Select?, I have reinstalled and tested is9 (called “2007“), and is10 (the latest version is v10.00.87).
I put them both into my trial directory, running concurrently with is8 (which was already installed).
I am currently putting is10 through its hoops, and so far it is looking quite good, though it kept crashing when I tried to install it with my old .wd2 is8 database files, so I figured out how to install it first and THEN convert the .wd2 files to .wd3 format. It’s a bit tedious that way, but as a workaround it seems to be OK.

I had not trialled this version of is10 before, and I must say it looks quite good! If it enables me to easily save my browser .html pages (I currently have these in a Scrapbook library), then I might consider using it for that, though it seems expensive so I am hoping I shall find more benefits than just that. Otherwise I will not be able to easily justify the outlay. I am already doing what data management/manipulation I want with OneNote and separate tools and FREE Firefox browser add-ons. At worst, is10 may not offer much extra, but at best, it could offer a degree of increased consolidation of functionality - which is always a good thing IMHO.

If anyone is interested, I would recommend they download is10 free of charge as a trial, and that will apparently give you 60 runs (that is what it states) before the trial licence expires. You should be able to get some idea of how useful it is from that.
WARNING: Though the is8 and is9 Help files were self-contained and very well-documented, there is apparently only an online Help facility for is10. I have tried using it and it unfortunately seems like rubbish. I presume that they are still writing a proper one! It badly needs one anyway - and especially for the price they are asking.

You can download the various versions of InfoSelect from here: http://www.miclog.com/download/index.htm

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #859 on: September 20, 2012, 03:45 AM »
Copy pasted from my OutlinerSoftware.com reply: http://www.outliners...om/topics/viewt/4354

It's sad that no one mentioned the multi-bar in this thread and you had to actually click on the demo. It's actually an exclusive feature of the software.

There's only like one or two notetaking services that do that and only this software and Remember the Milk comes to mind at the moment.

RTM can auto-format to-do lists and this one can create date logs, titles and csv from the bar.

For the price though, I would have at least wanted a direct Dropbox support/direct portable installation and native cross-platform software but the fact that I'm talking about price at all when I'm not usually a buyer shows how excited I was of hearing this.

Where are the people who make this threads? I bet they would be more excited:

http://www.outliners...e-bones-spread-sheet

It also has a basic right click filter view which puts this thing in the category of a barebone file explorer albeit with the caveat that it only filters through a limited set of folders and only have 3 bookmark buttons. (Which for this kind of software is a good thing.)

If there's one criticism for this program, it's that it uses slow double click to rename instead of the F2 button which doesn't work really well and the focus keyboard shortcuts are too far apart. You need to click Ctrl+Alt+N/R/F/D/M. These shortcuts also don't appear to work in Virtualbox.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #860 on: September 20, 2012, 04:40 AM »
I'm confused Paul -
what programme(s) are you talking about?

Ah, okay, it's *all* about Knowsy Notes
http://www.knowsynotes.com/Home.html

EDIT/ looks very nice (looking at their videos now)
Tom

flamerz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #861 on: October 02, 2012, 05:44 PM »
I'm confused Paul -
what programme(s) are you talking about?

Ah, okay, it's *all* about Knowsy Notes
http://www.knowsynotes.com/Home.html

EDIT/ looks very nice (looking at their videos now)

im waiting for some bugs fixed before buy this.

i got many issues, but developer seems to be responsive (he kindly answered my emails).

Seveleven

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #862 on: October 05, 2012, 03:46 AM »
Personal Knowbase has been my perfect note-taking software for years:
http://www.bitsmithsoft.com/

It does exactly what it says it does. You can literally keep ALL your notes in one file (if you want) and search through it for anything you want, whenever you want, lightning fast. Store text, images, web pages (with or without formatting), etc.

I used to have notepad txt files cluttering my desktop, but then I found this and now I don't know how I lived without it.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #863 on: December 01, 2012, 02:51 PM »
From a thread on a RightNote discount:
Bought it yesterday, and very pleased to find that it clips from Opera; also like the Evernote linking. Haven't properly explored it yet, but think I will probably use it extensively. Doesn't replace TreeDBNotes, which I prefer for writing, or Ultra Recall, better for email etc, or Evernote, better for stuff that doesn't need to be organised & web availability, but it looks as if it might be my be my main app for info heavy uses.
@Dormouse:
I'd be interested to hear more detailed comments on why you prefer your different apps for different things, perhaps in the General brainstorming for Note-taking software thread?

So, I'll emphasise that I won't be trying to review the good and bad points about each program, simply why I use each one as I do rather than one of the others.

TreeDBNotes
I use this for writing anything from small notes up to something the length of a chapter, and generally have it open all the time. I also use it for things that I will be adding to over time. I don't use it to collect information from elsewhere, although it says it is an information manager. I use other programs for longer and more complex writing - where generally I will just be working on one project at a time. I don't like using word processors for the creative part of writing; it has always felt that the program is getting in the way, good for final editing into the printable state and for reviewing and making notes but not the original writing.

The reason I use TreeDBNotes for writing, is simply that it suits the way I work and is very mouse friendly (  ;D ). The toolbars contain all the buttons I use most often, and there is an extensive right-click menu. If I want a simpler screen, I can maximise the current note in an external window. Organisation of what I do is with the tabs across the top and hierarchical trees on the left. External files can be linked or attached. There is a scratch pad and alarms/reminders. Easy to set up and use templates. Can be portable and you can choose which folders/trees you want encrypted. Good import and export. Can set the colour schemes to suit yourself (though you can't set individual tab colours).The clipping is quite good, but I don't see it as a web clipper at all. There are keyboard shortcuts, but I don't use them. Virtually all these features are there in the free version of the program.

Development has been proceeding much more slowly recently, really irritating those who want to see the PIM functionality extended, but not really bothering me.

Ultra Recall
I use this mostly for gathering information, in the way of files, emails etc. It is a good webclipper, especially if you use Internet Explorer or Firefox, or you can use its integrated browser, but I found I didn't use this because I prefer to use Opera. I like it's flexibility of use and the ability to chose how many panels are visible, and its searching is good across everything that has been brought in to the program. More integrated with Microsoft programs than I like, but that can be useful too.

Was temporarily discontinued a while ago and development appears now to be very limited, although new versions still emerge.
I don't use it as much as I did, but that might always change because it remains very functional for what it does.

Evernote
I originally had this in v2 form; IIRC, what attracted me originally was the OCR, search speed, timeline and ability to organise what was in it.
Like most users then I was rather disconcerted when v3 came out with fewer features and an emphasis on the cloud. But I never stopped using it as it always clipped from Opera.
Over time my usage has steadily increased in frequency, though I haven't yet put a lot of information in it. I am likely to do so in the near future mostly because the cloudiness that many dislike has become a major attraction in itself. Being able to make or read notes on my phone has proved really useful. I can chose which notebooks I sync over the net, so I don't really worry about privacy. It still has OCR and will now convert speech into text, which saves me a lot of time. Organisation is quite flexible; there are no folders, but there are notebooks and hierarchical tags which have the same overall functionality that I remember from before.

I'm not sure how interested I would be if I didn't use a smartphone, but with one it is a pretty compelling package. Free too, up to a 60MB a month upload (unlimited data limit means you can buy a premium service for a month or two and revert to free once you have uploaded all the data you want); quite a nifty pricing scheme, it seems to me.

Development and marketing and general buzz seem very positive. There's a clear vision for the product, and everything seems to be going in the direction they anticipated when they switched to the new focus for the product. More than can be said for nearly all of its competitors in the notes or clipping arena.

OneNote
I always liked this more than the other MS Office programs, but it always felt rather heavy and without the flexibility of use that would have made me use it more. Seems rather unloved by MS and irritations (such as the number of levels in the hierarchy) have never been tackled, though others have produced workarounds/scripts. I alwasy thought I'd use it if I had a really big project, but I have never needed too.
Too integrated with the other MS programs for me to really like it and with MS moving towards a walled garden, I have no intention of putting info into it.

RightNote
I've only just started using it. It is good that it works with Opera, but I can't say I love its UI. Doesn't seem to be as configurable as I would like (or expected) and have come across a few irritations; maybe I willbe able to find ways around them, I don't know. The lack of a forum makes communication about issues rather limited and probably does not help the developer know which way his user base would like him to go.

Surfulater
I've looked at this a few times, and am always slightly tempted when there is a BdJ offer - but the fact that it doesn't have good clipping from Opera has always stopped me testing it out in detail or making a purchase.

GemX/Harmony PIM
Given that development appeared well stalled when I got it (and has hardly gone forward much since), I still use this surprisingly often. It's the one program I use that does a lot of different things (and is probably best at none of them - in fact, I have better programs for everything it does, I think) and so I use it. There is usually a reason for me to open it, and then I can use it to do stuff that comes up when I don't fancy deciding what program to use. Of course, it is not really a Notes program, although it contains one. And I still really like being able to have a very extended calendar view.

InfoQube
I download and look at this semi-regularly. I am always very impressed with the idea of the things it can do, but put off by the fact that I can't easily see how to do almost any of them myself. And never feel an urgent need to have to do so, as I feel I have adequate programs I already use. Maybe in the future.

Others
Like, it seems, virtually everyone here, I have tried huge numbers of these programs, but don't really remember the details of why I don't use the others.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #864 on: December 01, 2012, 03:15 PM »
I'll just quickly affirm TreeDB Notes was my winner of a survey of these types of programs I did a while back.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #865 on: December 01, 2012, 10:31 PM »
Thanks Dormouse for that information.  You won't let this thread die!!

Interesting about TreeDBNotes.  i agree it is a very comfortable program for note taking, one of the best.  I've been dedicated to RightNote for a year now, but I also consider TreeDB in the group that belongs at the top of the list.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #866 on: December 02, 2012, 03:07 PM »
@Dormouse
Many thanks for taking the trouble to write such a detailed description of why you use which program.  It's a fine example of why I think this thread is rather stalled: there just isn't any One Program to Rule Them All  :(

I too use several programs, never finding one I was happy to commit to exclusively.  My usage is mostly data storage, especially of web clips, for which EverNote 2.2 is very good, especially when you need graphics and live hyperlinks.  I just wish it wasn't orphaned...  and I don't need the cloud.  Yet, you made me realise I tend to use a different program for self-generated text notes and plain-text clips than I do for web clips.

I never really used a word processor, preferring editors for writing and editing text.  Sometimes I had to massage it for printing, but as work moved from paper to e-mail, that became irrelevant.  Windows word processors seem to lean too much towards desktop publishing rather than efficient text creation and editing.  I mostly used my old DOS programs, PC-Write and VDE, both WordStar-style editor/word processors, quick and efficient.  I was interested in your use of TreeDBNotes for writing, and wondered if you'd ideally have preferred a single-pane outliner like Noteliner?  Which seems a more natural way to operate than two-pane?

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #867 on: December 02, 2012, 06:06 PM »
@Dormouse
Windows word processors seem to lean too much towards desktop publishing rather than efficient text creation and editing. 

Agree completely.

I too use several programs, never finding one I was happy to commit to exclusively.  My usage is mostly data storage, especially of web clips, for which EverNote 2.2 is very good, especially when you need graphics and live hyperlinks.

Yes, Evernote 2.2 remains a good program.
And when you wish it weren't orphaned, it is quite conspicuous how few of the programs in this sector are being actively developed - a minority of those I use.

I was interested in your use of TreeDBNotes for writing, and wondered if you'd ideally have preferred a single-pane outliner like Noteliner?  Which seems a more natural way to operate than two-pane?

Thanks, I hadn't come across it. I've had a quick look and don't think it's for me. I'm usually working on many things at once, and I do need to bring in external documents as well. And I like a very rich environment in terms of buttons, because I'm far happier using the mouse than the keyboard - which I only need for typing; and I don't even need it much for that if I'm dictating direct. And TreeDBNotes gives me a large single pane for when I do purely want to concentrate on one thing.

I actually like lots of panes generally. When I use Ultra Recall, I have all the panes open nearly all the time and I like Shellless Explorer and Q-Dir because they have more panes than Dopus or XY, even though they have less power.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #868 on: December 03, 2012, 12:23 AM »
OK...I feel like the "best in class" notetakers are:
treedbnotes
rightnote
evernote 2.2
cintanotes
infoqube

just for my own info, i like to keep track.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #869 on: December 03, 2012, 01:10 AM »
All of those fall short for me in the area that I need most- syncing across devices, and the ability to use them there.  Rightnote is the closest for me of those, but I haven't given it a good trial.  Because my primary concern is having my notes where ever I am, I use Evernote and Simplenote/Resophnote/everything that syncs with simplenote.  I guess it really is a matter of what you need and your priorities, and since Syncing across platforms is my number one priority, those are the ones that I continue to go back to.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #870 on: December 03, 2012, 01:47 AM »
I use Evernote and Simplenote/Resophnote/everything that syncs with simplenote.  I guess it really is a matter of what you need and your priorities, and since Syncing across platforms is my number one priority, those are the ones that I continue to go back to.
I agree with that; it is very much about individual need and preference.
I was intrigued by your using Simplenote. Why do you use that as well as Evernote?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #871 on: December 03, 2012, 01:31 PM »
I use Evernote and Simplenote/Resophnote/everything that syncs with simplenote.  I guess it really is a matter of what you need and your priorities, and since Syncing across platforms is my number one priority, those are the ones that I continue to go back to.
I agree with that; it is very much about individual need and preference.
I was intrigued by your using Simplenote. Why do you use that as well as Evernote?

A lot of the notetaking I do is in Markdown, rather than something heavy, and doesn't need images, nor formatting other than that.  Simplenote is aces for that, and very lightweight.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #872 on: December 03, 2012, 05:53 PM »
I never knew about Simplenote.  Looks very cool, definitely would consider it vs the current Evernote.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #873 on: December 03, 2012, 07:44 PM »
I never knew about Simplenote.  Looks very cool, definitely would consider it vs the current Evernote.

The essential part of my workflow is ResophNotes.  I could find/make something that does what I use ResophNotes for, and probably will.  But it syncs up with Dropbox, and syncs each note as a separate file.  That lets me use a wider variety of applications with it than I normally would be able to.

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #874 on: December 04, 2012, 10:22 AM »
yahoo has a very simple service without tags,
notepad.yahoo.com