topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What books are you reading?  (Read 678455 times)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What books are you reading?
« Reply #325 on: August 30, 2012, 05:31 PM »
(Please don't ask me what I consider to be the the most dangerous books ever written. :nono2:)
There's two of them, isn't there? (Perhaps three, if you consider the first book to consist of and old and a new part).

Bibles don't kill people, people kill people...;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #326 on: August 30, 2012, 06:13 PM »
(Please don't ask me what I consider to be the the most dangerous books ever written. :nono2:)
There's two of them, isn't there? (Perhaps three, if you consider the first book to consist of and old and a new part).

Bibles don't kill people, people kill people...;)

Exactly right. But most people don't kill without believing (or being taught to believe) there is an absolute justification - and possibly a requirement - to do so.

I have no intrinsic quarrel with the Bible, The Koran, or any of the other tomes that come out of the Judeo-Christian belief system. Nor do I have a quarrel with those who follow them. But a "live and let live" attitude is not always reciprocated. And in most cases, it's a line or paragraph from some holy book (often misinterpreted or taken completely out of context) that gets used as the justification for confrontation. Or worse. So I consider those books extremely dangerous - not so much for how they might be used - but rather for how they have been used. And continue to be used for that matter.
 :)

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #327 on: August 30, 2012, 08:13 PM »
..... I consider those books extremely dangerous  ....

I've seen a number of like minded comments in other threads by other board members over the last few months but I've not said anything.
40hz, don't take this reply a personal affront, it is not specifically aimed at you.
Perhaps we need a new thread for this where things can be discussed civilly.
Not that there are not enough other discussion boards on this subject where one could have a field day, so perhaps not.

Much wrong is done in the name of "religion" when what was done has no relevance with regard to the fundamentals of the actual faith.
I'm speaking only of the Christian faith (religion is an obnoxious term, so I don't use it). 
People are flawed - always have been, always will be.
We're all well aware of the depths of depravity to which people (anyone and everyone) could descend, right.
Even the most seemingly civilized person.

Perhaps you want to read something like this (Atheism and Mass Murder) when you refer to dangerous.

As for delusion, unfortunately Richard Dawkins at the end of his life will discover to his eternal horror how deluded he really was.
The same comment applies to those who believe similarly.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #328 on: August 30, 2012, 08:45 PM »
I happen to agree with your stance, NigelH, as seen here, but you will discover as I have that our metaphysical views are a distinct minority here. Still, I congratulate you for standing up for our faith. I attempt to do likewise.

If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. - Luke 9:26
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:52 PM by kyrathaba »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #329 on: August 30, 2012, 09:42 PM »
@NigelH - no affront taken. But I think you might be misunderstanding what I'm actually saying here...

..... I consider those books extremely dangerous  ....

I've seen a number of like minded comments in other threads by other board members over the last few months but I've not said anything.
40hz, don't take this reply a personal affront, it is not specifically aimed at you.
Perhaps we need a new thread for this where things can be discussed civilly.
Not that there are not enough other discussion boards on this subject where one could have a field day, so perhaps not.

Much wrong is done in the name of "religion" when what was done has no relevance with regard to the fundamentals of the actual faith.

My point has nothing to do with the fundamentals of faith - or what constitutes the notion of "actual" in that regard.

Not being a trained theologian, I do not feel qualified to enter into that sort of discussion, despite sixteen years (eight with Jesuits) of what may be considered "religious education." If I have learned anything from that experience, I have learned that theology, as a science, is not a polite intellectual parlor game - or an excuse to indulge in wordplay. Theological discussion and debate, in actual practice, is something best left to professionals.

What I am talking about is human behavior and how it may be manipulated through the use of certain books which are held in especial regard, and afforded a high degree of credibility, because they are considered (by their adherent faiths) to be divinely inspired. And because these books, and the words they contain, are so frequently and successfully employed for dubious purposes, I therefor consider them - as books - to be dangerous.

As far as the underlying truths contained within them (or the lack thereof) you'll need to find someone far more academically qualified and spiritually gifted than I am to comment on them.

I hope that clarifies for you what I'm actually talking about. :)

I happen to agree with your stance, NigelH, as seen here, but you will discover as I have that our metaphysical views are a distinct minority here. Still, I congratulate you for standing up for our faith.

@k - While it may be laudable to "stand up" for what one believes, in this particular thread I can't see where there was anything that needed to be stood up against considering nothing was being said that in any way challenged a belief, a faith, or some variety of revealed truth. (See my above comment to Nigel.)  :)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #330 on: August 30, 2012, 09:50 PM »
To be honest, I didn't even scroll up and read your post, 40hz. My post was in support of the bravery I perceive Nigel to have shown by standing up to what he perceived as such an attack. I wanted him to know that there is at least one other Christian on this site of thousands. I still haven't read any of the posts before Nigel's. My intent is not to cast any aspersions on you or anyone else, but simply to encourage Nigel in his faith and in being brave in a world that has largely lost faith.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #331 on: August 30, 2012, 09:54 PM »
in a world that has largely lost faith.

That much I think we can all agree is a problem, regardless of our degree of belief or which form it may take. :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:00 PM by 40hz »

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #332 on: August 30, 2012, 11:05 PM »
40hz, with regard to human behavior, you're quite right - I expressed a similar notion.

As for "Theological discussion and debate, in actual practice, is something best left to professionals.", that is a disastrous assumption to make.
The "professionals" themselves have caused much of the problem.
That's not to say there should not be professionals, just that what they say should be weighed against what is written.
Again, I'm referring only to the Bible.
There is no other divinely inspired book.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #333 on: August 30, 2012, 11:31 PM »
In an effort to reduce the number of books around the abode, trying (again) to get through the following:

They are all turning out to be more interesting this time through...

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #334 on: August 30, 2012, 11:42 PM »
As for delusion, unfortunately Richard Dawkins at the end of his life will discover to his eternal horror how deluded he really was.
[...]
-NigelH
Goddamn, you religious people are so full of yourselves >_<
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #335 on: August 30, 2012, 11:47 PM »
As for "Theological discussion and debate, in actual practice, is something best left to professionals.", that is a disastrous assumption to make.

Hardly an assumption by any stretch. It is my conclusion after much serious thought and consideration.

I will neither agree nor disagree.

And perhaps it's best if we let it rest here.

As Mouser has previously pointed out, DoCo's forum is generally not an appropriate place for ongoing discussions or debates about political or religious subjects. Let's get back to talking about books as simply things to read. And maybe leave the issue of divine or inspired authorship for another place and day?

(The same goes for you folks on the other side of the aisle. :P )

Good chatting. Best! :)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #336 on: August 30, 2012, 11:48 PM »
Amen.
- carpe noctem

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #337 on: August 31, 2012, 01:30 AM »
Perhaps you want to read something like this (Atheism and Mass Murder)*conservepedia when you refer to dangerous.As for delusion, unfortunately Richard Dawkins at the end of his life will discover to his eternal horror how deluded he really was.

Conservepedia and typical death-bed threat delusion?
Divine threat or something?

*sigh* this is book reading list thread for galactus sake. Let's move on.

Just finished - Getting Good with GIT - Andrew burgess.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #338 on: August 31, 2012, 02:34 AM »
Umberto Eco: The Prague Cemetery

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #339 on: August 31, 2012, 02:47 AM »
In an effort to reduce the number of books around the abode, trying (again) to get through the following:

They are all turning out to be more interesting this time through...

Unfortunately, the Number Of Books In The Abode increases like Fibonacci, while (mine at least) reading powers only manage between 4-7 per year in my current weakened state. :(

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #340 on: August 31, 2012, 06:04 AM »
... you religious people are so full of yourselves >_<
That word again   ;)
Not so much full of ourselves - just no shadow of doubt.

I will neither agree nor disagree.
As Mouser has previously pointed out, DoCo's forum is generally not an appropriate place for ongoing discussions or debates about political or religious subjects. Let's get back to talking about books as simply things to read. And maybe leave the issue of divine or inspired authorship for another place and day?
Absolutely - I'm good with that.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #341 on: August 31, 2012, 06:49 AM »
As Mouser has previously pointed out, DoCo's forum is generally not an appropriate place for ongoing discussions or debates about political or religious subjects.

+1.

Agreed. That's why I asserted here that such discussions belong in emails, Skype, PMs, or other venues. At the very least, it would be better were they confined to The Basement thread.

Now, since we seem to have gotten off-topic, I'm currently reading Legacy the third in Greg Bear's Eon trilogy.

bear_legacy.jpg

Very good reads, all three books! Any sci-fi buffs who haven't enjoyed these delicacies are encouraged to sample them...

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #342 on: September 09, 2012, 09:44 AM »
Currently reading Line of Polity, by Neal Asher.

line_of_polity.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #343 on: September 09, 2012, 10:06 AM »
Just finished reading the graphic novel style book on economics called "Economix":

economix1a.jpg econmix2b.png

http://economixcomix.com/
http://www.amazon.co...ctures/dp/0810988399

I enjoyed it quite a bit, and recommend it, but a few comments:
  • It's really short on the details of economic theory (it introduces lots of good theory but i was constantly hoping it would go into more detail and do a better job of explaining the theories; really thought he should have done a much better and more elaborate job of explaining some of the basic theories).
  • What it lacks in theory details, it makes up for with a focus on history.  The focus on history (mostly US history in the second half) is quite nice.
  • It is heavy on progressive and left-leaning political explanations of economic problems and solutions, and takes a very strong political advocacy standpoint in the second half of the book.  Now I happen to almost entirely agree with his political explanations and suggestions, so I think this is a good thing, but you should be warned that if you are a conservative, you are either going to find this book an eye-opening education, or you are going to be very unhappy and disapointed (though the classic economic conservatives like Hayek come away looking quite reasonable compared to modern ones).
  • Spoiler alert, giving away the ending: The super-rich and powerful have always found a myriad of creative ways to rig the system and bend the government to ensure that the system remains pervasively, destructively, massively rigged in their favor, and create entire industries of propaganda in order to rationalize their actions, and that's unlikely to change any time soon.
  • If you aren't familiar with terms like "Regulatory Capture", or don't understand why the US Federal Reserve manipulates interest rates, this would be a nice gentle introduction to economics.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 01:58 PM by mouser »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #344 on: September 09, 2012, 01:45 PM »
^^Looks fun, I'll be getting it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #345 on: September 09, 2012, 02:40 PM »
If you liked Economix, checkout Steven E. Landsberg's sly collection of essays: The Armchair Economist: Economics and Everyday Life.

armchair.jpg

A fun and interesting book that shows how an economist views the world. (Not at all like most folks, it turns out!) Plenty of food for thought even if you find yourself desperately wanting to disagree with half of what he suggests.

And if economics really starts interesting you, grab a copy of Robert L. Heilbroner's now classic work:  The Worldly Philosophers: The Lives, Times And Ideas Of The Great Economic Thinkers, Seventh Edition

Now in it's 7th edition (I read the first editing when I was in management school) this is the book that introduces you to all the great thinkers whose ideas about economics shaped the capitalist society we live in today.

wp.jpg

It's been said that in order to understand the present, and anticipate what the future will hold, it's essential to know the events and thought processes that led us here. Heilbroner's book does just that. It's a most excellent book that's written in a style that makes it as appropriate for college level study as it does for quiet armchair reading at home. Easily one of the most well-written books on the subject currently available. Grab a spare hour, brew yourself a good cup of tea (or a pot of coffee), get comfortable someplace, and get down with this book.

Seriously. If you're only ever going to read one book on economics - make it this book. :-*

« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:53 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #346 on: September 09, 2012, 04:02 PM »
Hey 40...do I get a degree if I read and watch all this stuff?  Cuz if I don't, you're just wasting my time!!  I could be getting my EE PhD and get on the fast track to --> $$$
 :(

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #347 on: September 09, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Half way through Dean Koontz' Odd Apocalypse:

odd-apocalypse.jpg

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #348 on: September 09, 2012, 10:36 PM »
Hey 40...do I get a degree if I read and watch all this stuff?

Nope! :)

Cuz if I don't, you're just wasting my time!!  I could be getting my EE PhD and get on the fast track to --> $$$
 :(

Yup!

(But if you do, be sure to take classes in either Mandarin of Hindi. Because you'll need it for where you'll be working with that level of education if the US continues going in the direction it's going.)
 :tellme:

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #349 on: September 09, 2012, 10:47 PM »
^^ ;D

So true!  Shh!!  You're not supposed to say it out loud!!