ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (69/212) > >>

NigelH:
... you religious people are so full of yourselves >_<
-f0dder (August 30, 2012, 11:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
That word again   ;)
Not so much full of ourselves - just no shadow of doubt.

I will neither agree nor disagree.
And perhaps it's best if we let it rest here.
As Mouser has previously pointed out, DoCo's forum is generally not an appropriate place for ongoing discussions or debates about political or religious subjects. Let's get back to talking about books as simply things to read. And maybe leave the issue of divine or inspired authorship for another place and day?
-40hz (August 30, 2012, 11:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
Absolutely - I'm good with that.

kyrathaba:
As Mouser has previously pointed out, DoCo's forum is generally not an appropriate place for ongoing discussions or debates about political or religious subjects.
--- End quote ---

+1.

Agreed. That's why I asserted here that such discussions belong in emails, Skype, PMs, or other venues. At the very least, it would be better were they confined to The Basement thread.

Now, since we seem to have gotten off-topic, I'm currently reading Legacy the third in Greg Bear's Eon trilogy.

Very good reads, all three books! Any sci-fi buffs who haven't enjoyed these delicacies are encouraged to sample them...

kyrathaba:
Currently reading Line of Polity, by Neal Asher.

mouser:
Just finished reading the graphic novel style book on economics called "Economix":

http://economixcomix.com/
http://www.amazon.com/Economix-Economy-Works-Doesnt-Pictures/dp/0810988399

I enjoyed it quite a bit, and recommend it, but a few comments:

* It's really short on the details of economic theory (it introduces lots of good theory but i was constantly hoping it would go into more detail and do a better job of explaining the theories; really thought he should have done a much better and more elaborate job of explaining some of the basic theories).
* What it lacks in theory details, it makes up for with a focus on history.  The focus on history (mostly US history in the second half) is quite nice.
* It is heavy on progressive and left-leaning political explanations of economic problems and solutions, and takes a very strong political advocacy standpoint in the second half of the book.  Now I happen to almost entirely agree with his political explanations and suggestions, so I think this is a good thing, but you should be warned that if you are a conservative, you are either going to find this book an eye-opening education, or you are going to be very unhappy and disapointed (though the classic economic conservatives like Hayek come away looking quite reasonable compared to modern ones).
* Spoiler alert, giving away the ending: The super-rich and powerful have always found a myriad of creative ways to rig the system and bend the government to ensure that the system remains pervasively, destructively, massively rigged in their favor, and create entire industries of propaganda in order to rationalize their actions, and that's unlikely to change any time soon.
* If you aren't familiar with terms like "Regulatory Capture", or don't understand why the US Federal Reserve manipulates interest rates, this would be a nice gentle introduction to economics.

superboyac:
^^Looks fun, I'll be getting it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version