topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Search with Bing  (Read 22692 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Search with Bing
« on: June 01, 2009, 08:40 PM »
it seems to be the season for new search engines, this time from Microsoft. Bing looks quite fresh and does quite a good impression of a search engine. there are general and local search plus images and news, maybe an alternative to the almighty Google? more importantly, is anyone from DoCo using it yet?

ws-bing-search-1.png
http://www.bing.com

P.S. i did a search but couldn't find any topics on this offering by Microsoft. :)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Search with Bing
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:28 AM »
the image search results look fancy. other than that i don't understand why anyone would use it.

mediaguycouk

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Mediaguy
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 04:13 AM »
I'm finding it quite useful for related information, so if I'm not looking for a certain site but looking for information on a subject. In that case the layout is a little better.

However in high contrast mode the front page just looks weird. Lots of boxes with nothing in them.
Learning C# - Graham Robinson

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 01:21 PM »

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Howdy,

I've read some pretty good reviews of bing so far... So I tried it, and I must say I'm quite impressed with what they've done! To benefit of all new features you need to set your locale to US, hopefully international markets will get the same features soon.
I'm quite happy to find a serious competitor to google! Time for a change?

Cheers  /jerome

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 03:01 AM »
I read Gizmo's review when he first published it. Followed his process and tried different searches using Google and Bing. My results were similar to his; Bing mostly didn't measure up.

Ironically, I saw the first "Bing" spot on one of the local network stations later that day. The campaign attempts to create FUD by warning against "search overload", with Bing as the ample bosom of care-free serenity. Even in a media-intensive market like Los Angeles, I thought it was a little over-the-top. Too bad Bing isn't, IMO.
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

tide

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 01:02 AM »

P.S. i did a search but couldn't find any topics on this offering by Microsoft. :)

Microsoft called it the "Decision Engine" but debuted it as "Bing" named after the lead developer. I guess they thought "bing" sounded better. Visit http://www.decisione...ine.com/Default.html for more info or just bing "decision engine"

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 07:32 AM »
I tend to search for part numbers and other obscure bits of information frequently. So I've been pitting Google & Bing against each other for a week or so to see who gets the most relevant hits. Bing has been ahead about 40% of the time. showing less total results but having more truly relevant hits bubbling to the top of the first page list.

Last weekend I use it to find some break parts (complete with printable OEM manuels & pricing) for my Harley (middle of page 2), which Google had burried on page 7 using the same query string.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 02:24 PM »
I've used Google exclusively for as long as I can remember, but just lately I'm turning to Bing much more frequently. On some searches, Bing can make Google look bad by presenting more precise/relevant results.

With the meta-search engine Zuula, you can do the head-to-head comparison of Google and Bing and see for yourself.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 03:08 PM »
It's nice looking, but that's not what I need in a search engine. And since I'm Microsoft-free, I won't use it.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 03:55 PM »
It's nice looking, but that's not what I need in a search engine. And since I'm Microsoft-free, I won't use it.

Objectively, Bing has more going for it than its appearance. I too care very little about the aesthetics of a search engine; all I want is accurate search results.

...So I've been pitting Google & Bing against each other for a week or so to see who gets the most relevant hits. Bing has been ahead about 40% of the time. showing less total results but having more truly relevant hits bubbling to the top of the first page list...

To my surprise, my experience has been very similar.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:07 PM by sajman99 »

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 05:07 PM »
Reasons to use bing -

1. the homepage pic. Its usually awesome and a nice touch. I even installed the 'best of bing wallpers' windows theme pack.

2. http://www.bing.com/travel/ - the best travel fare search I've seen

3. the search results aren't too bad.

4. the bing ads are funny :)

I changed my homepage from google to bing for the picture alone.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 02:02 PM »
I'm curious why I can use Bing to search DonationCoder and find comments written very recently (mere days ago), but Google seems blissfully unaware of recent activity (several months?) on this forum. Anybody else notice this? :tellme:

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 02:10 PM »
Google seems to find very recent comments when I use it. There might be a question about how the search is done.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 02:39 PM »
Google seems to find very recent comments when I use it. There might be a question about how the search is done.

Well, I'm not discounting user error, that's for sure.:-[ But I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong with Google.

Example 1: search the following phrase- "The more from it you take, the more it becomes."
Example 2: search the following terms- antidupl doublepics

In each case I'm getting DC results with Bing and no DC results with Google. If you're getting different results, then I obviously have something messed up.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 03:05 PM »
Example 1: search the following phrase- "The more from it you take, the more it becomes."
Example 2: search the following terms- antidupl doublepics

In each case I'm getting DC results with Bing and no DC results with Google. If you're getting different results, then I obviously have something messed up.

same here for example one
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 03:55 PM »
Just trying it out - I'll probably stick with it for a while
It caters a little better towards international needs than google does

In Google it's a pain to change settings (click click click etc etc)
It's easier in Bing :up:

Strangely though - I added the Bing (official) Search Plugin to FF, it recognised my location (Germany) but only offered me the 'United Kingdom" search site, probably because my OS language setting is English(Ireland).
Eventually I realised that by clicking on the 'United Kingdom" link, I get offered to change to a different country (logical but I managed to take quite a while to figure it out - if you want to make a GUI foolproof get me to test it!)
Tom

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 06:45 PM »
With Example 2 I mentioned, this thread (ie. Search with Bing) is now showing up in Bing results just hours after I posted the comments. It seems Bing is aware of DonationCoder and updates quite often.

shobazi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 07:55 PM »
Google and Bing are working hard to deliver the latest and greatest features to their loyal users. I just hope they don't lose focus on basic things like filtering search spam and phishing detection in the rush to deliver new features before the other guy does.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Bing is better in terms of privacy and has way less spam results (for me).

Direct comparison:
http://www.furia.com/code/bg/bg.cgi?q

No one should use Google these days anyway.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 01:11 AM »
Have you tried searching for your address and trying the "Birds-eye view?"
 :o :o :o

In Google maps, I could only tell it was my house by the reflection off the backyard kiddie pool.
(no street view yet, thank goodness!)
In Bing, I could see it was my car in the driveway, no street view required!

That could be bad or good depending on how you look at it...

nogojoe

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2010, 03:29 AM »
The more from it you take, the more it becomes
that came up good on google search   :Thmbsup:  the quotation is a riddle with the answer being

"the more you take away the larger it becomes" is referring to a hole. The more you dig the bigger it gets  :beerchug:
Often the most convincing people are those who have lost the plot so much they don't recognize the difference between fact and fantasy

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 12:15 PM »
Yep, I think you got that riddle solved.8) But still no DC search results with Google. In contrast, other search engines such as Bing and Ixquick seem to find DC comments.

I still use Google occasionally, but I'm frequently turning to other search engines.