ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Search with Bing

<< < (3/5) > >>

sajman99:
It's nice looking, but that's not what I need in a search engine. And since I'm Microsoft-free, I won't use it.
-zridling (December 11, 2009, 03:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Objectively, Bing has more going for it than its appearance. I too care very little about the aesthetics of a search engine; all I want is accurate search results.

...So I've been pitting Google & Bing against each other for a week or so to see who gets the most relevant hits. Bing has been ahead about 40% of the time. showing less total results but having more truly relevant hits bubbling to the top of the first page list...
-Stoic Joker (July 01, 2009, 07:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

To my surprise, my experience has been very similar.

MrCrispy:
Reasons to use bing -

1. the homepage pic. Its usually awesome and a nice touch. I even installed the 'best of bing wallpers' windows theme pack.

2. http://www.bing.com/travel/ - the best travel fare search I've seen

3. the search results aren't too bad.

4. the bing ads are funny :)

I changed my homepage from google to bing for the picture alone.

sajman99:
I'm curious why I can use Bing to search DonationCoder and find comments written very recently (mere days ago), but Google seems blissfully unaware of recent activity (several months?) on this forum. Anybody else notice this? :tellme:

Dormouse:
Google seems to find very recent comments when I use it. There might be a question about how the search is done.

sajman99:
Google seems to find very recent comments when I use it. There might be a question about how the search is done.
-Dormouse (December 30, 2009, 02:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I'm not discounting user error, that's for sure.:-[ But I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong with Google.

Example 1: search the following phrase- "The more from it you take, the more it becomes."
Example 2: search the following terms- antidupl doublepics

In each case I'm getting DC results with Bing and no DC results with Google. If you're getting different results, then I obviously have something messed up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version