topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: RAPIDSHARE.COM sucks!  (Read 40993 times)

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
RAPIDSHARE.COM sucks!
« on: March 30, 2008, 03:29 PM »
Ok, you want me to buy a premium account. I'm willing to wait AGES before my download starts. I'm willing to wait 4 hours between parts of a big file. I UNDERSTAND you guys want to sell a premium account. But those unreadable captchas... ARGH!

RAPID.PNG

How am I supposed to know that the second letter is a G and not a C?

Meh... I feel better now. Use mediafire!

tamasd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: RAPIDSHARE.COM sucks!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 05:30 PM »
Well...it might as well be a part of their business model. They operate on the very edge. Of all the rapidshare links I have ever seen posted anywhere, I can't remember one that was for a legal stuff.
They are in the business of annoying people who don't want to pay for the stuff (books, software, movies, ... ), enough to make them pay for the right to download pirated stuff. That's a tough sell to make.

Btw. the above is just my own experience, drawing mostly from few student forums I visit. I might as well be wrong and perhaps most of the stuff on rapidshare is perfectly legal I don't know.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 12:05 PM »
Of all the rapidshare links I have ever seen posted anywhere, I can't remember one that was for a legal stuff.

I don't know about the majority of it, but just yesterday I was feeling the same way here about the captcha. I was trying to download some graphics for Dwarf Fortress and I had to try the captcha a couple times because those dogs and cats made it too hard to see the letters.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Of all the rapidshare links I have ever seen posted anywhere, I can't remember one that was for a legal stuff.

There's a NSFWload of illegal stuff, agreed. But what about my top three legal stuff you can get on RapidShare

http://rapidshare.co...767667/aimp_2.11.zipAIMP2, the *BEST* audio player. Period.
http://rapidshare.co...sta.anthrax.pack.rarVista Anthracite Pack, some windows skinning stuff.
http://rapidshare.co...ea_andrade_walls.rarSome beautiful nature wallpapers.

Anyway... the captcha could be a bit clearer :)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:15 AM »
@scancode

If you like aimp2, you should check Spider Player out.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 05:36 PM »
@scancode

If you like aimp2, you should check Spider Player out.

Checking out RIGHT NOW!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 10:09 PM »
i guess i was slightly luckier that my "C" was not hidden by a cat. ;)

ws-rapidshare-1.png

p3lb0x

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • Beer, beer, beer, I'm going for a beer!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 11:43 AM »
Reminds me of http://lavalevel.net.../image-verification/ this blog post
Stop mousering people so much - Mouser

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 12:26 AM »
@scancode

(E)lephant - a download manager (downloading from Rapidshare and MegaUpload) that could recognize and submit the CAPCHA images. Read about it @ http://www.raymond.c...idshare-downloading/

The (E)Lephant's Support Forum

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 01:27 PM »
They're back, stronger than EVER!
RAPID2.PNG

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 02:47 PM »
Believe it or not, but the automated Rapidshare download tools can already handle the new "cats only" captcha... RS needs much stronger captchas. :)

JaneDC

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 02:49 PM »
I don't think you got the right to complain. since you're using their service for FREE. Consider it a TRIAL version.

We don't see posts like "dopus sucks because the trial works only for 60 days" or "total commander sucks since the trial version has a nag screen", do we?

Now, if you're a premium user and the service still "sucks", then I'll be right behind you throwing some tomatoes at them as well. But that's an entirely different story...

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 04:58 PM »
Believe it or not, but the automated Rapidshare download tools can already handle the new "cats only" captcha... RS needs much stronger captchas. :)

so they get wobbledy

Rapid.png
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 09:16 PM »
I don't think you got the right to complain. since you're using their service for FREE. Consider it a TRIAL version.

We don't see posts like "dopus sucks because the trial works only for 60 days" or "total commander sucks since the trial version has a nag screen", do we?

I don't think this is a good analogy because we do say a trial sucks if it is crippleware, or if they make it very difficult to use the trial version just because you haven't bought the full version yet. The purpose of a trial is to get you to want to buy the product. Not to make you despise it so much you'll never touch anything made by the company again just out of principle.

Imagine if trial software made you type in a nearly impossible to decipher sequence of digits and letters before you could even access any of the features.

Also keep in mind that people who write software actually perform work to try and make a living. The people who run RapidShare are merely providing bandwidth for others to upload and download what is usually pirated data.

Scancode already said in the original post that he doesn't mind waiting a few hours before being able to download more, and that he clearly understands they're trying to get him to purchase a membership. I think someone with that amount of patience should not be rebuked for complaining about difficult to use systems. Nor do you have the authority to enforce your claim that he has no right to complain. I don't know what part of the world you live in, but from the sounds of it, I would hate to even visit it. I value the freedom of speech, even if I don't agree with what is being said.

kveldulv

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 12:31 AM »
Another perspective...
Yes, the CAPTCHA's for free users are horrrible, I can't disagree there.

However, as someone who's been a premium rapidshare customer for 2 years now since a friend referred me there and have absolutely 0 complaints about the service.  It's truly fantastic. I've actually referred 2 friends to them, who've been members ever since.

Rapidshare is EXTREMELY fast, never goes down and "just works".

If I Want to see how fast an internet connection somewhere will work, I just download a 100+ meg file from Rapidshare.

The captcha images you see are as a free user.
You will never ever see these once you've got a premium account.

Do understand, that RS gets abused by 1000's of people every day, and so their captcha's are a response to a growing problem.
In 2006 they were really quite easy, and I"m sure the RS guys would rather concentrate on their business than adding cats to letters via imagemagick :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 02:50 AM »
kveldulv: Thanks for that insight into a premium customer's experience.

I never would have thought to pay money for the privilege to download files (beyond what I'm paying my ISP), so it's nice to hear the good experiences from a paying customer for a service like RapidShare.

As a person who has a premium account, you might not know that RapidShare has recently stopped using the captchas. They now just throttle download speeds for free accounts. So the original complaint in this topic is a bit outdated. :)

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 03:02 AM »
i tried to use rapid share once when they had the cats, i was never able to get thru the captcha so gave up, with that as an experience of their service, i am very hesitant to try again, and as for giving them money when i am unable to see if the service works, well no, not me

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 08:21 PM »
as Deozaan mentioned, Rapidshare had revamped their website. however non-premium users still have to wait for the 'countdown' and the downloading speed has been capped. imo, now their service is bearable, download speed notwithstanding.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2008, 04:08 AM »
as Deozaan mentioned, Rapidshare had revamped their website. however non-premium users still have to wait for the 'countdown' and the downloading speed has been capped. imo, now their service is bearable, download speed notwithstanding.

I don't think the countdown is even there anymore. I can't remember for sure because I don't use Rapidshare very often, but I downloaded a couple files this past week and I don't remember there being a countdown. If I recall correctly, it just tells me I could download really fast if I had a premium account, I click free account, and the download starts.

EDIT: Just used RapidShare today and the countdown is indeed there.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 02:40 PM by Deozaan »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2008, 04:28 AM »
Maybe you can use sites like:

Windows Live Skydrive
Mihd.net
esnips.com
4shared.com

and there are many others... :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 02:01 PM »
@ deozaan - forgive me for intruding, but I think you overreacted in your post addressed to Jane25. And your final comment, about never wanting to visit her country, was too extreme, to say the least. I mean, you even hurted me, with that remark! I'll bet Jane25 also loves her/his country...

---

My opinion on Rapidshare is that I will look elsewhere for what I may want to download. I have used their service twice or thrice, but not again. Hey,..wait... what is that: Did I say "service"??!!!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 02:17 PM »
I agree, those comments seemed harsh especially coming from deo who is normally very helpful and kind.. :(

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 02:56 PM »
@ Curt - Yeah, you're right. When this thread was revived by kveldulv I saw what I had written in April and thought the same thing: Wow, that was a bit harsh!

I don't remember exactly why I wrote that (it was 4 months ago) but I think I took offense at someone telling someone else that they "had no right" to complain. I interpreted that phrase literally, as though JaneDC was saying scancode wasn't allowed to have an opinion or state his opinion about RapidShare. In hindsight JaneDC probably meant that scancode shouldn't complain because it was free so he should just be grateful he can use it at all without paying for it.

I made a mistake and I'm sorry. :-[

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 04:07 PM »
The bigger problem is that we never heard from Jane25 again.

-

I didn't notice it was from April - expected it to be all new.
Otherwise I might had PM'ed you, or probably said nothing.

-

When I re-read my various posts on DC, I can pinpoint when I was stressed - I don't handle stress very well. From time to time that weakness will later on cause me to have to follow up and make an excuse for what I have said. I have done so repeatedly during my membership at DC. Is it too much to encourage you to PM Jane25?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 01:59 AM »
The bigger problem is that we never heard from Jane25 again. Is it too much to encourage you to PM Jane25?

No. An apology is absolutely in order.