topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: OK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?  (Read 1019102 times)

Darryl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi "Mouser":

So far I kinda like what I'm seein'. This sounds like an interesting concept, and I've been doing this computer stuff for 20 years so I've seen Freeware, Shareware, Donationware, Postcardware, and I can't even remember some of the others.

Since you're just starting out, I think you should tell new members a little about yourself. Things like your age, experience level, background [like how you got started with computers, etc.], education, et al. Just give out general info.

Good luck in your endeavor.

Darryl
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 06:40 PM by brotherS »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: BIO
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 01:00 AM »
i was thinking about putting up a little bio.
i'm one of those people who are kind of private but i realize people like to know who they are dealing with; we put a real snail mail address up on the contact page for people who want a real person to contact about registering, but it might be helpful if i put up some info about myself so people can feel like they are interacting with a real human being :)

i was actually thinking about making a blog for developer's with their software here (so far i'm the only author here but i think we will have more once i figure out the best way to do it).  might be interesting for people to hear about whether this approach is going to work or not..

i tried in the past offering my software and just making a passing reference to donations and no one ever donates, so i'm trying to do a more pro-active approach this time, while still keeping with the core idea that the software remain free for all, but just trying to offer some incentives for donating, and making it more of a community thing.

swing

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 05:10 PM »
Yeah a bio sounds nice, i'd love to get a better grip on who that weird person on irc really is *hehe*

And hey, some of us donated before u made this site, so it isn't all true that noone ever donates  ;)

randiroo76073

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Who are you & what do you do?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 04:33 AM »
Hi, I'm new here & thought this would be a good way to get aquainted with other members, so w/o futher ado:

Went in Air Force right out of High school[1964], was told I was a BPC[bedpan commando] aka: Med tech. Spent 18 mos in Turkey[smelt bad], made it to Independant duty tech, on flight status got to fly all over region, came back to US & retired from AF after 4 yrs Worked at Borax mine as laborer,then heavy equipt operator.Drove amulance 1yr[lousey pay & hrs] Went into Mfg, became supervisor,quit[don't like playing politics] Worked at K-mart for awhile. Went back to mfg, became plant mgr,quit[again politics] Worked at steel mill[now thats hard work,hot too]in Illinois. Moved back to Calif, went to work at Rhor aircraft for awhile[assembling 747 engine struts]. Moved to Lake Havasu,Az,played darts, formed dart league, also filled in spare time being a sheetsewer at local waterbed sheet factory[1st male ever in job] Wandered to Texas, became a carpenter, done all kinds of construction[21 yrs worth] Had a stroke 3+ yrs ago, NOW THAT WAS FUN! Now am a wanabe puter something, enjoy trying to help people. Am married to "EXCEPTIONAL" lady[she has to be to put up with me!], 2 daughters, 7 grands[a set of triplets increases # fast]. Still in Texas[found home?] That's my sorid tale & I'm stickin to it :)
Randy
98se/sp2/982ME/Revolutions 2.1
Firefox/Kmeleon
ASUS-A7V400MX,AMD-2400+Sempron,1gb-Kingston ddr2700

Some ask Y, I say Ynot!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 04:38 AM by randiroo76073 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Who are you & what do you do?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 11:42 PM »
I'm a ph.d. student in computer science who should have gotten his degree about 5 years ago.  Projects like this keep me constantly in debt and delayed :(  grew up in nyc, now living in midwest.

Ozzy1

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Acino
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 06:27 AM »
I'm a 30 year old man from Norway. (No, there is NOT white icebears jogging around in the streets, and Norway is NOT a part of sweden.)
I live together with my girlfriend, who is a nurce, its nice to have that in mind getting older:)

So, what do I do...
I work in a company called "Logistix". We own a chain of stores in norway that sell boat-stuff to all kind of people and other stores.

What I do there...
Ok, most of the times I am a buyer of goods (I buy all the goods that the stores needs) I don't know what this is called in english, but I guess there is a fine name for it :)
The rest of my time at work is divided on many parts: I make a 178pages catalouge for the stores, it is printet in 100.000 copies, and is sent out to all of our customers. I'm not alone doing this of course, but I am the guy who put it all together in Quark Express (make the design, making the pages work and look nice at the same time).
I also run the computers at work. I am not reallt an IT-guy, I am more a IT-manager,making things work and when soemthings go to he##.. I'm the guy they call.
I also make all the ads the company needs in its marketing, and I also make the web-pages we have work. www.maritim.no is one of them, its only useful if you know norwegian, and well.. need boat-stuff ;)

What do I do in my spare time?
Making the most of it.. As Mouser know, I am a busy guy.. trying to be with my gf as much as possible, we have a house that alwasy needs something (yes, i hate paint, its offisial).
I love computers (thank god, my gf loves them too), and use much time using it. I make little games in VB sometimes, www.acino.org is where you can find the resent ones. I am also learning php, trying to make a norwegian questuion-game that my gf will be running.
I dont play games much, but CivIII and Superpower2 is getting the minutes I have.
I love new software, tinker tinker... Dopus, Samurize, Firefox, Thunderbird and now Mousers software is what I love when I am in tinker-mode.

Being an old amiga-user I always look for good programmers that love to well.. tinker... I think I have found a new home here.. :)

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 07:00 PM »
I am a 52 yo guy who lives with his wife and 16 yo daughter in a provincial town in Australia called Kingaroy.  Kingaroy is approx. 220km north west of Brisbane, the capital of the state of Queensland.  We have about 12,000 people.

I work as a mechanical engineer in a power station, looking after monitoring the non financial parts of the business eg plant reliability, energy efficiiency and greenhouse gas issues.

I am a Christian and like to read, watch sport, computing especially mucking around with software as a user (I can't/don't program).

I moderate on a forum at www.emailaddresses.com which is about email and is a good place to visit if you are looking for a provider or have email problems.  I have mentioned donationcoder.com over there but no advertising is allowed so I have to be careful not to breach the forum's guidelines, especially since I am a moderator.

Ozzy1's home, Norway, is also the home of an excellent email privider at www.runbox.com which has a forum over at emailaddresses.

Regards,

Jeff

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 02:00 AM »

OPEN UP YOUR WORLD TO ME

Ah, emm.  Just wanted to freak you out ever so slightly!  :)

« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 02:31 AM »
Hey, I didn't post that here!  Mouser, you forgot to change the subject line.  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 02:40 AM »
i just thought it would be good to merge the two similar topics and give you a chance to freak out more people in the process.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 11:15 AM »
wow nice site and forum jeffk - i just added to our Best Of links page.  :Thmbsup:

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 04:54 AM »
I'm 43, a professional writer, and am consumed by the pursuit of great software (see signature below). I spend my entire day and most of my night on the computer, usually writing books, articles or translating between Canadian and US English dialects — ha!— so hardware ergonomics, along with user interface and sound design are keys to what I favor in software. As a result of my sedentary lifestyle, I watch too much TV, eat too much chocolate, and fully intend to exercise again when I win the lottery. I have a PhD in philosophy and taught college undergraduates for ten years, though I did not enjoy the departmental politics and game-playing by too many faculty in modern academia. That came to an end in 2002 when I moved to St. Louis with Access Foundation and I haven't looked back. I've lived all over the place, but hope to move back to Nova Scotia someday.

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 05:06 PM »
A smart, educated guy who spends an enormous amount of time on the computer, and who has tested and used an endless list of software titles.  It's no surprise, then, Zaine, that I almost always agree with you!  :)

jpfx

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2005, 08:37 AM »
43, from UK.
Joined british army at 16. Became an electronic warfare operator, learnt (some) arabic, left in 88.
Truck driver for a while, then drainage engineer (no Job too big!). Spent summers working in France as an area supervisor for camping holiday company. Got first PC.
Called back to army in 91 for a brief waste of time.
Went fulltime with holiday company, running warehouse in winter and supervising in summer. Left in 94 to start a degree in Computer Science (systems). Did some contract PC engineer work for us army in Germany.
96 I was offered a job overseas as sotware support for british army. Had to leave university with one semester to do. Did that for 3+ years. Met my wife (to be) on Yahoo.
2000 moved to USA and got married. Got a job as Network Admin (read all IT) in small local company and been there ever since. Learning/using various languages. I remain a beginner at all of them. Jack of all trades, master of none.
       |\      _,,,---,,_         
ZZZzzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;, 
      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'    
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK - lets het to know each other a bit ... where do we all come from ...
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 08:05 AM »
Following up 'lucky dog Stefan' living in Heildelberg ....

I live in the North of England in the Yorkshire Dales National Park ...

here is a local view ... (basically nearly out of the back of my house)

and some local visitors to my garden:

http://www.lairdswoo...od/garden-birds.html

How about adding your own so we get to be a little more friendly around here ...

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice to see someone else from the UK.  I'm in north Somerset.  Is that Ingleborough or something rather like it on your horizon?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The nearest hill is Penhill, the one to the right of it in the distance is Buckden Pike.

How about a photo of your part of Somerset?

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
St. Louis, Missouri, US, right in the middle of the country, and five hours south of Chicago. The eastern side of town is French, the western is German. All the parades and celebrations here herald French kings and saints and German settlers who built the roads and museums. In my part of town, all the streets are French, "Rue St. Germaine" and so on. It's a cool place. Below is the 633-ft. St. Louis Arch, and a locator map.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice arch - did you take that photo?

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yea, I got a couple of others. If you catch the sun just right, it's easy to get a good photo of it from almost any angle.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Carol, I meant to say that half my current imagination of England is framed by the photos at the Sensitive Light blog.

So it's either one:

Or the other...

« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 10:41 AM by zridling »

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
<==  Burg Bergwartstein bei Erlenbach im Dahner -Felsland

--> German map and facts broken
--> German map and facts
--> English <-> German Translater

img_3835-38p.jpgOK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?

img_4024.jpgOK - lets get to know each other... who are you, what do you do, where from?

EDIT: 4 years later, i have to fix the broken links.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:42 AM by AbteriX »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
LOL - i presume the Jolly Green Giant is a tribute to US drug laws ;)

Are they flying saucer trails Stephan?

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Are they flying saucer trails Stephan?
I don't think so, Tim  :)
No, i hope not, either from a jet or clouds  ;)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't think so, Tim  :)

Who is Tim ?