topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: GemX - missing in action  (Read 266791 times)

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GemX - missing in action
« Reply #325 on: January 16, 2008, 07:30 AM »
I agree. Why shouldn't we post comments here if we want to? Are GemX going to try to close this forum down as well? Are we not allowed to criticise a piece of software if we want to and post our opinions? This was a totally ridiculous comment to make doublewitt... The only reason people are expressing their opinions here is because there is no other place to do this.

That about sums up how I feel as well.  If a company has done something to deserve being criticized (or applauded), then I see no better place to do so than here, in an open software discussion forum.  And why not in this thread, instead of starting more threads, it was after all started regarding the lack of inaction on the part of GemX.

sigh...

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #326 on: January 25, 2008, 10:24 PM »
well well well,

seems gemx now has video tutorials on a number of subjects - so, it seems they ARE alive and well......

http://www.gemx.com/..._movie_tutorials.php

i haven't looked at any of them yet though.....

this is a very strange company.....

but, until Nighthawk is ready (www.nowsoftware.com), i have not found anything that does what DO does......for the things that i need to use...sigh...

What you allow, you encourage...

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #327 on: January 25, 2008, 11:14 PM »
this is a very strange company.....

... And Do-Oganizer is a strange software... Impressive, oddly compelling (as Darwin would say)... but strange. It wants to do way so (to) many things (IMHO). They should stop adding these "not that useful" features (ie : the file explorer ???? ), and concentrate on perfecting the more important dimensions (the calendar, the  task manager, etc.), clearing all the bugs, adding palm + pocket PC syncing capabilities, etc.

They "should", ahem, probably also take care of their customers, of course.  ;)

sigh...

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #328 on: January 26, 2008, 05:03 PM »
i completely agree, Armando - they are the jack of many trades and the master of none  - instead of the master of a few.

as was previously mentioned, i think that they are/were overwhelmed.   if they are "behind the scenes" getting their act together (or if someone else has bought/taken over GemX), then they have the ability to have a comeback -

granted, most of the customers will be new(er) customers......

zak11000

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2008, 06:16 AM »
Word of advice - don't install the new version. Its incredibly buggy. You are much better off using the previous version they put out.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #330 on: February 05, 2008, 04:57 PM »
Is this any surprise given GemX's history of buggy applications? I am half tempted to get a refund on the 9.95 app portion I paid for (minus the trialpay versions), just as a sense that they gave me something back.

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #331 on: February 05, 2008, 06:15 PM »
Of course, these bugs were reported, no? I mean, as one mod had suggested, in the spirit of the new year, giving GemX the benefit of the doubt or even another chance at offerring better service...?

I've DSM'ed them a couple of times, & in both cases , I've rec'd timely responses with explanations, as well.

If you don't try at all to get your issues addressed, than perhaps this really is an unproductive branch of the DC board (I'm always the last to figure these things out)...
-Sarah

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #332 on: February 05, 2008, 06:58 PM »
I've reported issues that have gone unresolved since before this thread began. I have not received any sort of response despite several follow up communications.

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #333 on: February 05, 2008, 07:23 PM »
Sorry...I should have made it clear that I was responding to the post that says the latest version of DO is buggy, & advises others against using it. (Zak, I thought.)

(My laptop is broken & from the Palm I've yet to see how to respond to a particular post...responding to the last post in a thread seems to be my only option.)
-Sarah

sigh...

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #334 on: February 05, 2008, 07:51 PM »
Word of advice - don't install the new version. Its incredibly buggy. You are much better off using the previous version they put out.

i hate to admit this, but i did install the new version and have not found any more bugs than it had before - actually a few areas are operating better than they were.  but i don't use a Palm or the mail section  - mainly calendar, tasks, and contacts

sigh...

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #335 on: February 22, 2008, 06:33 PM »
well, seems that Nighthawk may just give DO a run for its money - as i was reading in the Nighthawk forums, hey are in beta for the Calendar module - i do like that they are taking their own sweet time getting this done so that it is done right -

seems that it will sync well with the iPhone too! 

click the link to see some screen captures of the Contact module:

http://forum.nowsoft...c.php?f=29&t=345

and guess what - the color coding will actually work - unlike in DO where i wasted my time color coding my categories and they have no relevance in the contacts, or calendar....big sigh....

did you guys see that GemX has tutorials now?  however, i could not download them for some reason lol lol lol rotfl!!!!

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #336 on: June 21, 2008, 03:27 AM »
Fascinating thread. I came here from the new GemX discount thread and was intrigued enough to download and install DO.

From the thread and website, I would have to say that it is looking a bit like endoflife ware trying to wring the last bit of cash out of the embers of their remaining energy. I saw no sign on the website that the current (apparently reduced) prices were a sale or available for a limited period. I did notice that the 60 day trial only licensed it for 6 days; I've sent them an email, and it will be interesting to see if I get a response.

I do have a lot of experience of developers going missing in action (as we all do). Frequently terminally, sometimes in spasms. Seems to happen to payware, shareware and freeware alike. I do have a certain amount of sympathy; overall income is frequently not that great and never guaranteed, real work is needed to keep things going, and when real life (in any form) intrudes it is the program, its support or community that has to give. I assume that it is the desire and hope that things can be got back on track tomorrow/next week and reluctance to accept or make public the truth that causes the lack of communication. I'm not sure that big companies are really any better, and still remember my irritation when Informix abandoned Wingz.

vizacc's comments on libraries etc really reflects my own (indirect) experience. It seems to me that a lot of programmers start to run into a deadend when their programming environment stops developing as needed and they have to spend more and more of their time trying to code around the deficiencies of their environment/libraries. They really need to start again from scratch, but quite a few years have been sunk into what they have, the program has got very complex in its current incarnation, they have lost the initial buzz and energy, real life has reduced the time available and the community is probably bugging them for improvements. I think Tranglos' description of why he stopped with Keynote is a good description of a situation that many developers end up in.

Of the programs mentioned here, quite a long time ago now, it is interesting to see that Nighthawk is still not out, that Helpmaker 8 is still not out (still development in 7.3 though), and that Yagoon Time/Calimanjaro seems to have been endoflife ware for a long time. SQLnotes, of course, proceeds apace.

In this thread, I notice a lot of enthusiasm for DO as a vision and a lot of references to its being buggy and the bugs not being tackled. Most people seemed to be saying that they were moving away from it because of the lack of support or future rather than the bugs though. A few people said they'd keep on using it because it worked well enough and there was nothing else like it. Having a quick look, I can see the attraction. I certainly would not risk long-term data in it, but I can see that it does a lot of things and might help me not have to use Outlook. It would not replace TreeDBnotes or TheBat! or ToDoList, though it might do instead of Calimanjaro. The lack of development does not really bother me if the program works well enough now; I'm quite used to working around bugs (though the loss of the bug reports that must have been available in the Forum is a sacrilege in my view) and despite all the programs I have, I probably don't have a question for support from anyone more than once a year or so.

Of course, I would need more than 6 days to try it out  ;D

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #337 on: August 03, 2008, 11:26 PM »
Too bad they had a decent set of applications with some good thoughts put in them

borengate

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #338 on: November 17, 2008, 10:24 AM »
HI Guys,

GemX is back in business!! They completely changed their website and there is also a new version of DO available for download. Maybe I am quite naive but perhaps this time they won't fail us.

Take a look!

bo

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #339 on: November 17, 2008, 10:49 AM »
Strange - I checked the site yesterday and it was still the old one... Wake up this morning, read your post, navigate to Gemx.com and I don't recognise it! Thanks for heads up - I'm off to read through it now.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #340 on: November 17, 2008, 10:52 AM »
Hmm... prices have been SLASHED and there is a new users forum up - http://www.gemx.com/forum/

Announcement here: http://www.gemx.com/?page_id=14

Wonder how many of the old regulars will return? Postiive develpment, anyway...

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #341 on: November 17, 2008, 11:27 AM »
Wow, that's pretty cheap...$20.  Not bad at all.  For that price, I have no problem recommending this program to people (Texnotes, that is).  However, for me, I have no need for Texnotes now that I have InfoQube.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #342 on: November 17, 2008, 11:41 AM »
Update: if you were registered with GemX in the past, your username/password are no longer valid. As far as I can tell, you'll need to contact support to have your login details updated.

borengate

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #343 on: November 17, 2008, 12:36 PM »
Hi Darwin,

I entered my old username and password and after three error pages (I assumed that the old pass and user were deleted) it worked. I realized that I was already within the registered users area. I cheked my account details and I downloaded the update of DO3. So, try it. At least in my case it was not necessary to contact the GemX's.

I hope that they update TexNotes soon.

Bo

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #344 on: November 17, 2008, 01:00 PM »
Hi Bo - thanks! Not working for me, though...  :( I am trying to login via the "Login" link at the upper right of the Home page (next to search). I enter my login details and consistently get a  "Password not correct for the user. please retry!!" error. I've checked the e-mail that I received in 2006 to confirm that the details that I am entering are correct, but no joy. I've also tried a random password and my original username (e-mail addy) and am then told that the username is invalid  :(

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #345 on: November 17, 2008, 07:19 PM »
Nice to see some activity and a minor upgrade. I'd be cautious about exactly what it means as yet, though reinstating the forums is a very positive move (even if no-one could register to post when I checked). Also nice to see a price reduction and an acknowledgement that customers at higher prices may be aggrieved and deserve free upgrades to make up for it. No problems with checking in and downloading new version.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #346 on: November 17, 2008, 09:18 PM »
No problems with checking in and downloading new version.

No joy for me. I kid you not, I logged in yesterday successfully (old site) but today, no luck whatsoever. TexNotes hasn't been updated anyway... but still! I'm going to give them a week or so to iron out the wrinkles and see what happens.

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #347 on: November 17, 2008, 10:03 PM »
Hi Darwin,

I thought that you requested a refund...? Didn't you?
I guess then, they removed or de-activated your account.
It's normal business procedures to do so...? isn't it?
Why would they offer you free software after a refund?
Earlier in the thread, you were expecting them to do so...
and so they finally got around to it...
You don't have to wait for a week; the account is closed.

Kindly,

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #348 on: November 17, 2008, 10:33 PM »
Doublewitt - you're correct, I did request and receive a refund for Do-Organizer. I did not request, and thus did not receive, a refund for TexNotes Pro and my log-in information (up until yesterday) consisted of the e-mail address that I registered TexNotes through and my TexNotes Pro serial number. I don't expect to be able to login and download Do-Organizer, but I feel that I should still be able to access TexNotes Pro. If you and others (including Bo) are able to log-in with your old log-in details, it appears that you are right and there is no point in waiting a week. However, the account should not be closed and I'll be contacting support.

doublewitt

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #349 on: November 18, 2008, 04:32 AM »
Oh, I didn't know about the TexNotes application. Well, in that case, I guess your account should have remained "open" as you say with your details about TexNotes... you're right then...