topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How to Share Your Programs with the World (PAD Files, installers, etc.)  (Read 54499 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I think we need a sticky thread here where we can post tips and tutorials for how to announce your software and make it available to the world so people can find it.

Some topics to discuss:
  • PAD files, how to make them and where to submit them.
  • Installer Tools, which to use and why.
  • Where to hosting your files, and webpage.
  • Best ways to ask for donations?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here's a sample PAD file from one of my programs, it can get you started (make sure you change all the info about author, company,etc.):

And very important, here are two online pad validator tools (never submit a pad file without first validating it):

There are also some free pad file tools out there, let's find and post some.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 05:20 AM by mouser »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You can get PadGen here. It is a free tool for simplifying the creation of .pad files.

While you are there picking that up, take a look at other pages on the site. There is a wealth of info there about pad files, and even a huge list of links to download sites that will accept them.

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
And of course submit them to my PAD Database:
http://www.paddatabase.com/

This will help get it some exposure.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks App. I normally prefer editing my xml pad files by hand, but figuring out the program category official names are a pain, and these pad creation programs can really help.

Let's make a nice list of the top places to submit files.  I'll post my favorite places soon.

Note: You really need to have a proper little permanent web page for your program if you are going to create a pad file and submit it, rather than simply attaching it to a forum thread.

We are absolutely more than happy to provide permanent web space at http://YOURCHOICE.dcmembers.com for anyone who has freeware or donationware programs they want to put up, just send me a message.

[You are welcome to put google ads or whatever on the page - you don't have to credit us or anything - we just ask that you not break any laws with the space or host anything else that would end up causing massive traffic.]

There are other places to get free web hosting as well if you like, perhaps people can share their favorite places.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
I do a LOT of this, and for anyone that is serious about it, you must get RoboSoft. The small pettance of the price is WELL worth it.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

fowmow

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I realize this is not PAD-specific, but isn't AnalogX's SoftSubmit relevant?

http://www.analogx.c.../program/ssubmit.htm
I code.  Therefore I am.

Anatolie

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • ToyCatSoft.com
    • Donate to Member
Hi,
I use Robosoft for PAD editing and submiting. It's free for one month.
I use InnoSetup as installer. InnoSetup is simple and free.
my web site is ToyCatSoft.com

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I realize this is not PAD-specific, but isn't AnalogX's SoftSubmit relevant?

http://www.analogx.c.../program/ssubmit.htm

Probably not anymore.  Too old

windowssucks

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PAdGen is a cool one ;)  :up:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm hip to PadGen and have my own site.  After looking around here I see a place for quick hacks, which I love(my first AutoHotKey script is for Vista and just waits for Control-Enter hotkey to open Explorer selections in another window like XP.) I'm curious how I could contribute some little hacks of my own.  I toyed with my own licensing code when I first opened my page but after awhile it was just a pain so I enabled all my software for free download.  So I guess anything that's already out of the bag doesn't fit the license key paradigm? Or where do I find out more details?

I'm a newbie and took a quick look around but maybe I missed something right in front of me.  Happens a lot. :)

kevinjmills

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Redfern Place
    • Donate to Member
Re: How to Share Your Programs with the World (PAD Files, installers, etc.)
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 10:16 AM »
Mouser,

What engine do you use for software license keys?  What's your opinion on providing feature limited software for free, but asking for donations to unlock full functionality?  I'm not currently using any licensing mechanisms for my software, but am interested in maybe going that route in the future.

Thanks,
Kevin
--Kevin

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 11:41 AM »
kevin these are great questions, but i'm going to split it off into its own thread so it doesn't distract from this thread about pad files, etc.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
And of course submit them to my PAD Database:
http://www.paddatabase.com/

This will help get it some exposure.

Seems to be giving off a CGI error at the moment. :(

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Fixed now.  Server hiccup.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Fixed now.  Server hiccup.

Got it.  Thanks. :)

giddy

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Giddy - We make websites and software
    • Donate to Member
Installer Tools, which to use and why.
Where to hosting your files, and webpage.

I've had a great time using NSIS(Nullsoft Scriptable Install System). Very simple to use, tons of features and examples.
http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

www.mediafire.com - The best place to host files. More reliable when you signup =P

insert_nick

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • @insert_nick
    • Donate to Member
I would like to make a proposal here.

I do follow since several years both the DonationCoder environment and the Zero Install project. Call me a shameless connector or whatever bad word you can think of, I don't mind, but I want to say I'm confident that some kind of partnership, in a direction or the other, would really benefit both. Zero Install works on Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, UNIX. Awesome would be if every piece of software, coming from DC developers, even the most little one, could be packaged providing a "Zero Install feed"; dreaming a bit, but not that much, that would also make flowless and easier to accomplish an interoperability between various DC apps (see how ZI manages dependencies), and the software index would include all the DonationCoder apps, so they would be easier to find and explore (and immediately run! :) Thinking forward, a donation system in DC style could eventually be integrated in the service and/or the project itself. With Zero Install would be very easy for users e.g. to try DC apps (easy as clicking a "Launch!" button), eventually fall in love with them, and donate for a lifetime unlock.

Really, I see a lot of potential here for both the ecosystems, and I could write a lot about that - but I'll let you use your own imagination while here and now I'll just prefer begging to stop for a moment, and take a serious look to the Zero Install project for the possibilities that your contributions would bring; what I'm asking here is to make your tiny/little/big/huge/whatever apps available as Zero Install feeds (if they work on the supported platforms); of course you can continue using your usual way of packaging and distributing stuff, but I'm asking to make a Zero Install version *too* - it's easy and well explained:
http://0install.net/...ector-packagers.html

If you want to explore the possibility, please join the mailing list that is the main place for discussions; also for any trouble in making the feeds, there will be always someone capable and willing to help there:
http://0install.net/support.html

Zero Install for Linux:
http://0install.net/install-linux.html

Zero Install for Windows:
http://0install.de/downloads/?lang=en

Zero Install for MAC OS X:
http://0install.net/install-mac.html

Zero Install for UNIX:
http://0install.net/install-unix.html

Let me know what you think!

insert_nick

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • @insert_nick
    • Donate to Member
Worth noting that the only big problem for the Zero Install project is the low number of apps available as feeds - and that's where DonationCoder could help ;)

jeremejazz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • hey!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
    • Donate to Member
hi, I just read here about pad files... what are pad files? :)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A pad filew is a file which describes a program. It is hosted on your site, and you may submit its URL to sites which collect such files. Then, software listing sites download your pad file and use it to list your software on their site.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hi, I just read here about pad files... what are pad files? :)

You can read more here and also download free PadGen specialized editor:

http://pad.asp-software.org/

I'm no longer so enthusiastic about using them.  Every time I update my program, help and readme files, I also have to update the pad file and upload that.  The new utilities I write now I don't bother.  The bots can read the apps off my site if they want to make them available for download.

If you have a program that's actually selling then it may be worth the trouble. :)

jeremejazz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • hey!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
    • Donate to Member
thanks ... now I know.. I'll try that too  :D

jeremejazz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • hey!
    • View Profile
    • Personal Website
    • Donate to Member
it's very cool
A pad filew is a file which describes a program. It is hosted on your site, and you may submit its URL to sites which collect such files. Then, software listing sites download your pad file and use it to list your software on their site.
cool.. I wanna learn more about that .. thanks :) I'll try to work on one

Aaron Stewart

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 04:39 AM »
Hello All,

I am selling my applications (shameless plug: Ron's Place Apps), and I use Inno Setup for the install files, which I host on my own website. The whole site and domain don't cost much more than 100 euros per year, so not a deal breaker.

For the PAD files, I made a base template from a few downloaded examples (I forget where from but they are easy to find), then populate changing fields with tokens like '<%ProductName%>'. At build time I can then generate the pad file for each product automatically, from generated meta data and a csv file containing product specific information. Of course I validated the first few runs but now it just works.

There is a little up-front time investment, but I have gained that back 10 times over. Of course the technology used will depend on the individual, and there quite a few details to think through but it has been worth it to me.

I hope that helps.