ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

How to Share Your Programs with the World (PAD Files, installers, etc.)

<< < (5/5)

jgpaiva:
A pad filew is a file which describes a program. It is hosted on your site, and you may submit its URL to sites which collect such files. Then, software listing sites download your pad file and use it to list your software on their site.

MilesAhead:
hi, I just read here about pad files... what are pad files? :)
-jeremejazz (June 24, 2011, 11:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can read more here and also download free PadGen specialized editor:

http://pad.asp-software.org/

I'm no longer so enthusiastic about using them.  Every time I update my program, help and readme files, I also have to update the pad file and upload that.  The new utilities I write now I don't bother.  The bots can read the apps off my site if they want to make them available for download.

If you have a program that's actually selling then it may be worth the trouble. :)

jeremejazz:
thanks ... now I know.. I'll try that too  :D

jeremejazz:
it's very coolA pad filew is a file which describes a program. It is hosted on your site, and you may submit its URL to sites which collect such files. Then, software listing sites download your pad file and use it to list your software on their site.
-jgpaiva (June 24, 2011, 12:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
cool.. I wanna learn more about that .. thanks :) I'll try to work on one

Aaron Stewart:
Hello All,

I am selling my applications (shameless plug: Ron's Place Apps), and I use Inno Setup for the install files, which I host on my own website. The whole site and domain don't cost much more than 100 euros per year, so not a deal breaker.

For the PAD files, I made a base template from a few downloaded examples (I forget where from but they are easy to find), then populate changing fields with tokens like '<%ProductName%>'. At build time I can then generate the pad file for each product automatically, from generated meta data and a csv file containing product specific information. Of course I validated the first few runs but now it just works.

There is a little up-front time investment, but I have gained that back 10 times over. Of course the technology used will depend on the individual, and there quite a few details to think through but it has been worth it to me.

I hope that helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version