topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Valve Announces Steam Deck: A Handheld PC  (Read 103487 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Valve Announces Steam Deck: A Handheld PC
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2022, 12:01 PM »
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09ZY6J8P4

This is pretty cool- I didn't think I'd be connecting it to my TV, but this makes that more likely.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2022, 12:12 PM »
It's the same price as their full actual-dock which has more USB ports and ethernet and supports 4K@60Hz. The difference being that the actual JSAUX dock doesn't include a charger. But that charger is only 45W, just like the official Deck charger.

I don't think that's for me. On the other hand, I suppose it could be pretty nice to have when traveling, as a nice, compact way of keeping your options open.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2022, 12:41 PM »
It's the same price as their full actual-dock which has more USB ports and ethernet and supports 4K@60Hz. The difference being that the actual JSAUX dock doesn't include a charger. But that charger is only 45W, just like the official Deck charger.

I don't think that's for me. On the other hand, I suppose it could be pretty nice to have when traveling, as a nice, compact way of keeping your options open.

I have a dock- this is more for just keeping near the TV, and it gives options for traveling. That Dell Dock I have is working well for my desktop use.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2022, 02:04 PM »
Customizing the Steam Deck's sounds, boot video, and suspend video

https://www.reddit.c...i_mod_full_tutorial/

Tutorial links and commands:

VIDEO .webm file location: /home/deck/.steam/steam/steamui/movies/

AUDIO .wav file location: /home/deck/.steam/steam/steamui/sounds/

Terminal Command: truncate -s (byte size) (file name)

Example: truncate -s 1840847 steam.webm
(Case sensitive, make sure to open terminal in the same directory that you're editing)

SwitchPro Boot Video files: https://www.dropbox....d5crrYp0LNsCGra?dl=0

SwitchPro Audio files: https://www.dropbox....7twyr5cGk7UrA3a?dl=0

Original Youtube Video link: https://youtu.be/9nq1kz8Yjjc

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2022, 09:22 PM »
I just came across ShareDeck, which says it's "an unofficial site to find and share Steam Deck performance configurations."

Customizing the Steam Deck's sounds, boot video, and suspend video

That's not really my kind of thing, but it will be interesting to see what other people come up with.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2022, 01:31 PM »
I had my first success with an "Unsupported" title on Deck last night.

I checked out Final Fantasy IX on ShareDeck.games and saw that it didn't have any logged playtime by users, which disappointed me because that's one of my favorite games in the series and I was hoping to play it again. But it also included a link to the ProtonDB page which I clicked and saw that multiple people say it works perfectly on Deck with the Moguri Mod 8.3.0.0. And since Moguri Mod greatly improves visuals and makes a few QoL enhancements anyway, all while trying to stay as faithful to the original as possible, I figured I wouldn't want to play it any other way.

Anyway, it was pretty easy to get working. Just install FF9 from Steam, then download Moguri Mod and unzip its contents anywhere. One of the files you unzipped was an .exe installer which you can use with proton (I used the latest version of Proton-GE) or you can just extract one of the other files which is a huge .7z(?) file over the installation directory of FF9. There is a known issue of some rare crashes near the end of the game, but that can be fixed by removing a specific file from the mod. More details can be found on Moguri Mod's Support page.

If you want a tutorial video on how to install Moguri Mod on Deck, you can follow the steps outlined in this video:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2022, 10:50 AM »
Looks pretty cool! Not into FF personally, but glad it worked! I couldn't get EAPlay nor Ubisoft Connect to work so far.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2022, 09:20 PM »
This is a good idea for some... my case that I got doesn't have this problem, but it's a cheap way to make it not a problem with the stock case

https://www.reddit.c..._your_deck_a_second/

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2022, 03:12 PM »
I "always" zip up the case at least half way when I put the Deck inside, but that Steam Deck Lifesaver looks pretty useful for the time when I inevitably forget. Or maybe if I'm not the only person in the world who will ever use the device, I can't be sure other people will be as mindful about the dangers of accidentally dropping it if it's not zipped up. So thanks for sharing that find! I'll need to look into whether or not my local library offers any 3D printing services and see what it takes to make a couple of them.

In other news, I just got back last night from a weekend trip out of town, on which I brought my Deck with me. But I didn't really use it much. It was about a 6 hour drive to where we were staying, but I couldn't use the Deck while riding in the car because I get carsick if I'm reading or doing other things that don't include frequently looking out the windows. And then for the rest of the trip we were either busy doing other things most of the time or in social situations where it would have been rude to just pull out the Deck (or a phone) and be doing my own thing while ignoring everyone else. But I did turn it on for a couple of minutes each day to continue receiving one game's daily login bonus streak that would have gotten reset to the start had I not been able to do that while I was out of town. So that was nice.

I knew I probably wouldn't be spending a lot of time with it for this trip. I think it would have been great to have with me on a longer trip, or at least one with more downtime. And if something like this comes up again I may try playing while riding in the car for long stretches of relatively straight freeways, because now that I'm thinking about it, I think I get carsick from not looking at the road while doing lots of stopping and starting and turning and weaving, such as in the middle of city traffic or curvy mountain passes. But when it's mostly just driving straight for hours I think I might be OK.

Next time... :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2022, 09:41 AM »
I decided it was more important (and less expensive) to get this JSAUX Docking Station which has 3x USB-A 3.0, 4K@60Hz HDMI 2.0, Gigabit LAN, and a 100W PD USB-C port.

The JSAUX Dock finally arrived yesterday. I connected a keyboard and mouse and another display to the Deck. I played a bit of Factorio, because while the game runs fine on the Deck, I feel it's just not the same without a mouse and keyboard. I haven't done a lot with the dock to put it through its paces. I still need to connect it to a 4K TV and the ethernet, and maybe connect an external storage.

I noticed that my external display would rarely go blank for a few seconds, as if the signal was lost. It happened a few times throughout the day. I hope it's not a faulty dock, but I'm pretty sure none of the other hardware is faulty. I typically use the same display as a secondary monitor for my desktop PC and I haven't seen it do this before. I suppose it could be a software issue. Maybe the Deck is trying to do something weird. I'll have to experiment with other displays, cables, and my other hub in various configurations to see if I can single out the problem.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2022, 06:32 PM »
Maybe the Deck is trying to do something weird. I'll have to experiment with other displays, cables, and my other hub in various configurations to see if I can single out the problem.

Are you by any chance running Skype or Teams on your Steam Deck (in the background)?
I have seen something similar happening on my Linux laptop (Gnome) when either Skype and/or Teams show notifications of incoming messages. Started happening about 3 months ago.

This doesn't happen when Skype/Teams are not running on my laptop.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2022, 09:20 PM »
Are you by any chance running Skype or Teams on your Steam Deck (in the background)?

Heresy!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2022, 06:42 PM »

I was not running Skype or Teams. I may have been running Telegram and/or Discord. I've been sick lately and haven't spent much time at my PC or using the Deck. And it has been long enough that I don't remember the details exactly, but I think I only noticed the problem in Desktop mode. I don't think it happened while in Gaming mode. But then again, I don't think I spent long in Gaming mode except for a bit of Factorio.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2022, 07:15 PM »
FYI if you try to install Lutris, Valve made it so the beta channel is hidden in the last update, so you have to install it from Kommand.

Code: Text [Select]
  1. flatpak install flathub-beta net.lutris.Lutris

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2022, 05:47 PM »
According to Gaming On Linux, you can now install Lutris from Discover.

Lutris adds Amazon Games integration, plus Flatpak finally out (good for Steam Deck)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2022, 07:49 AM »
According to Gaming On Linux, you can now install Lutris from Discover.

Lutris adds Amazon Games integration, plus Flatpak finally out (good for Steam Deck)

I'll have to check to see if the one I installed shows up in Discover, or since I installed it from the terminal it doesnt show.

Another good beginner guide:

https://overkill.wtf...er-guide-start-here/

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2022, 02:20 PM »
It sounds like Lutris and Heroic pretty much do the same thing. And maybe Bottles, too? Anyone with experience with all of them have a preference? If so, which one do you prefer and why?

I only have a little experience with Heroic to install a few GOG games, but it feels pretty clunky on the Deck using the gamepad controls to navigate. I'm not very attached to it and would happily switch to something else if it was better.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 03:17 PM by Deozaan »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2022, 03:12 PM »
I've [...] ordered this Dockteck 7 port USB Hub (with 4K@60Hz HDMI, 1 Gig Ethernet, SD & microSD, 2x USB 3.0 A, and a USB C 100W PD port)...

I've just connected my M.2 SATA SSD to the Deck using this hub with the idea of installing only games I intend to play while the Deck is "docked" to it. And since I didn't have to worry about filling up the internal storage, I queued up a bunch of larger games to install.

The downloads were going a little slow over WiFi, so I connected an ethernet cable to the LAN port in this hub for the first time and the activity light is blindingly bright! It's a pure white LED that's constantly flickering (on network activity, of course) and it's just sooooo bright! I don't really understand it, because the other "connected" LED indicator, which is constantly lit, is a nice, soft amber color. Why couldn't the activity light be a soft green light? So puzzling...

Other than that I don't have any complaints about the functionality of the hub. But to be honest I haven't really used it a lot, so it's possible there could be issues I'd be displeased with that I haven't discovered yet. That said, my experience with it has been positive overall, other than the near-strobe-light effect I'm getting from the LAN activity LED while downloading games.

Anyway, I'm still getting files on the external SSD so I can't test it yet, but hopefully having part of my Steam Library on an external drive will be "plug and play" when I connect to or disconnect from the dock/hub. 🤞
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 03:18 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2022, 03:18 PM »
but hopefully having part of my Steam Library on an external drive will be "plug and play" when I connect to or disconnect from the dock/hub.

If it works with SDcards, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'm probably going to use a NAS with mine at some point. Not sure if I put the link in here, but someone mounted their NAS as part of their steam library.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2022, 03:26 PM »
but hopefully having part of my Steam Library on an external drive will be "plug and play" when I connect to or disconnect from the dock/hub.

If it works with SDcards, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I imagine that the Deck is designed to automatically mount microSD cards when they're inserted.

When I first connected the external drive, it didn't show up in the "Storage" section. I had to go into Desktop mode and mount the drive first, at which point I could then manually add the drive as a secondary location for the Steam Library from within the Steam client. Then I booted back into Gaming mode and it appeared there and allowed me to install/move games to it. So my concern is that I'll have to boot into Desktop mode and manually mount it each time I connect it. But perhaps now that I've added it as a Steam Library it will remember and automatically reconnect.

EDIT: I guess that answers that question. I just restarted the Deck while still plugged into the hub and now the drive is no longer showing up.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 03:39 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2022, 07:15 PM »
EDIT: I guess that answers that question. I just restarted the Deck while still plugged into the hub and now the drive is no longer showing up.

You will probably have to have a script that runs on boot.

https://www.reddit.c...up_a_nas_as_a_steam/

This is the one on using a NAS. The actual post with the instructions can be found at https://www.reddit.c...=web2x&context=3

This includes shell scripts for recreating the mount and remounting if necessary from game mode after restart.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2022, 10:37 PM »
The script will be the most sure way of getting what you need done.

However, Samba on my Linux Laptop and now one of my desktops allowed me to auto-mount shared drives on both. Even did so with shared drives on Windows 11 and Windows Server 2019 computers. Besides turning the computers on, I don't have to do anything to access any of the shares from anywhere in my network at home.

Whether that is also the case with the SteamDeck, I don't know as I don't have access to one. But that option only being available in desktop mode on the Steamdeck would be a safe assumption.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2022, 11:26 AM »
I should mention that I had another success with a game marked as "Unsupported" last night. With some caveats.

By all accounts on ProtonDB, Halo: The Master Chief Collection works just fine despite being ranked as Unsupported, with the caveat that the game's Easy Anti-Cheat doesn't work on Deck/Linux and therefore online multiplayer doesn't work. I'm not interested in the PvP anyway, but I do enjoy playing co-op through the campaigns. I haven't had a chance to test if co-op still works, whether online or via LAN, but I'm not sure why you'd need EAC for co-op in the first place. So I don't really have my hopes up but I'll keep my fingers crossed that co-op still works. But I tested it on Deck by playing through a mission in single-player without any issues, so if all you care about is the single-player campaign(s), give it a go.

You will probably have to have a script that runs on boot.

This includes shell scripts for recreating the mount and remounting if necessary from game mode after restart.

Thanks for the link. And for the extra info as well, Shades. It should be helpful for re-mounting the external drive. And even better: I didn't think I was interested in setting up an SMB share but after seeing the image and skimming the instructions, I'm starting to see the potential appeal. I can see it being especially useful for having a large ROM/emulation library accessible on demand without having to take up space on the device itself. :D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 09:50 PM by Deozaan »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2022, 12:15 PM »
I just learned about Remote Play Whatever, which is an app that allows you to use Steam's Remote Play Together feature on any game, including non-Steam games (such as emulators). It also now has an AppImage to make it usable on Steam Deck.

GitHub repo:
https://github.com/m...i/RemotePlayWhatever

Reddit post with some details:
https://reddit.com/r...now_has_an_appimage/
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 03:39 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2022, 01:01 PM »
By all accounts on ProtonDB, Halo: The Master Chief Collection works just fine despite being ranked as Unsupported, with the caveat that the game's Easy Anti-Cheat doesn't work on Deck/Linux and therefore online multiplayer doesn't work. I'm not interested in the PvP anyway, but I do enjoy playing co-op through the campaigns. I haven't had a chance to test if co-op still works, whether online or via LAN, but I'm not sure why you'd need EAC for co-op in the first place. So I don't really have my hopes up but I'll keep my fingers crossed that co-op still works.

Thanks for this! I'd wanted to get it, but passed when I saw unsupported. I know on Destiny 2 they're making it so that if you even try online play, your account gets banned.

And even better: I didn't think I was interested in setting up an SMB share but after seeing the image and skimming the instructions, I'm starting to see the potential appeal. I can see it being especially useful for having a large ROM/emulation library accessible on demand without having to take up space on the device itself.

Yeah, I was thinking about it because even with 512 GB additional, I'm down on space, and I thought about just setting up a share for those things I want to play at times, but I didnt want to switch out SD cards like I see some doing.