ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > DC Gamer Club

Valve Announces Steam Deck: A Handheld PC

<< < (30/49) > >>

wraith808:
EDIT: I guess that answers that question. I just restarted the Deck while still plugged into the hub and now the drive is no longer showing up.
-Deozaan (August 29, 2022, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

You will probably have to have a script that runs on boot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/wu044l/did_you_know_you_can_setup_a_nas_as_a_steam/

This is the one on using a NAS. The actual post with the instructions can be found at https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/wu044l/comment/il6xlti/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

This includes shell scripts for recreating the mount and remounting if necessary from game mode after restart.

Shades:
The script will be the most sure way of getting what you need done.

However, Samba on my Linux Laptop and now one of my desktops allowed me to auto-mount shared drives on both. Even did so with shared drives on Windows 11 and Windows Server 2019 computers. Besides turning the computers on, I don't have to do anything to access any of the shares from anywhere in my network at home.

Whether that is also the case with the SteamDeck, I don't know as I don't have access to one. But that option only being available in desktop mode on the Steamdeck would be a safe assumption.

Deozaan:
I should mention that I had another success with a game marked as "Unsupported" last night. With some caveats.

By all accounts on ProtonDB, Halo: The Master Chief Collection works just fine despite being ranked as Unsupported, with the caveat that the game's Easy Anti-Cheat doesn't work on Deck/Linux and therefore online multiplayer doesn't work. I'm not interested in the PvP anyway, but I do enjoy playing co-op through the campaigns. I haven't had a chance to test if co-op still works, whether online or via LAN, but I'm not sure why you'd need EAC for co-op in the first place. So I don't really have my hopes up but I'll keep my fingers crossed that co-op still works. But I tested it on Deck by playing through a mission in single-player without any issues, so if all you care about is the single-player campaign(s), give it a go.

EDIT: I guess that answers that question. I just restarted the Deck while still plugged into the hub and now the drive is no longer showing up.
-Deozaan (August 29, 2022, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

You will probably have to have a script that runs on boot.

This includes shell scripts for recreating the mount and remounting if necessary from game mode after restart.
-wraith808 (August 29, 2022, 07:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link. And for the extra info as well, Shades. It should be helpful for re-mounting the external drive. And even better: I didn't think I was interested in setting up an SMB share but after seeing the image and skimming the instructions, I'm starting to see the potential appeal. I can see it being especially useful for having a large ROM/emulation library accessible on demand without having to take up space on the device itself. :D

Deozaan:
I just learned about Remote Play Whatever, which is an app that allows you to use Steam's Remote Play Together feature on any game, including non-Steam games (such as emulators). It also now has an AppImage to make it usable on Steam Deck.

GitHub repo:
https://github.com/m4dEngi/RemotePlayWhatever

Reddit post with some details:
https://reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/wvc0rt/remoteplaywhatevertogether_now_has_an_appimage/

wraith808:
By all accounts on ProtonDB, Halo: The Master Chief Collection works just fine despite being ranked as Unsupported, with the caveat that the game's Easy Anti-Cheat doesn't work on Deck/Linux and therefore online multiplayer doesn't work. I'm not interested in the PvP anyway, but I do enjoy playing co-op through the campaigns. I haven't had a chance to test if co-op still works, whether online or via LAN, but I'm not sure why you'd need EAC for co-op in the first place. So I don't really have my hopes up but I'll keep my fingers crossed that co-op still works.
-Deozaan (August 30, 2022, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for this! I'd wanted to get it, but passed when I saw unsupported. I know on Destiny 2 they're making it so that if you even try online play, your account gets banned.

And even better: I didn't think I was interested in setting up an SMB share but after seeing the image and skimming the instructions, I'm starting to see the potential appeal. I can see it being especially useful for having a large ROM/emulation library accessible on demand without having to take up space on the device itself.
-Deozaan (August 30, 2022, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, I was thinking about it because even with 512 GB additional, I'm down on space, and I thought about just setting up a share for those things I want to play at times, but I didnt want to switch out SD cards like I see some doing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version