topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 26, 2024, 8:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Valve Announces Steam Deck: A Handheld PC  (Read 106609 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Valve Announces Steam Deck: A Handheld PC
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2022, 01:59 PM »
I confirmed my order for the 64 GB model today.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2022, 04:10 PM »
 :Thmbsup: Congrats!

Checking my link again, it seems like they're really accelerating!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2022, 11:38 PM »
Here's a tongue-in-cheek review of the Steam Deck that may help fence sitters decide whether or not they really want to get one:

Girlfriend Reviews: Should Your Boyfriend Get the Steam Deck?

Checking my link again, it seems like they're really accelerating!

Yeah, the 64GB link jumped from 90% to 144% today. And at the same rate of today's progress for my spot in the 512 queue (~9.5%), I should be able to order it (if I still want it) by August 1st. :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2022, 12:22 PM »
Assuming the same percentage jump (about 12.3%) from the last update (June 27th-30th) holds true for all future "email days," you should get your email in 5.5 more email days. Rounding up to 6 would put you at July 21.

It jumped over 20% for you yesterday, wraith808, which puts you at 86% and means you'll likely get your email to confirm your order this Thursday the 14th.

I haven't received the 64 GB model yet. It should arrive tomorrow if FedEx can deliver on time, which is a pretty big "if" in my experience! I was expecting to have about a month with the 64 GB model to put it through its paces and decide if I wanted to proceed with the 512 GB model, but now it's looking like they're speeding things up fast enough that I might get my email next week!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2022, 02:39 PM »
A week is enough time, right?  ;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2022, 02:45 AM »
I guess we'll find out. 😅

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2022, 11:29 AM »
I guess I'm in... I bought some accessories already on Prime Day. Now to await the notification!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2022, 01:29 PM »
I guess I'm in... I bought some accessories already on Prime Day. Now to await the notification!

Nice! You probably won't have to wait long. Or at least, not much longer. :)

Which accessories?

I was really hoping the official Docking Station would be ready by now (before it got delayed last month) so I could order it with the Deck. I may have to go out and buy a generic hub, because one of my primary intended uses for my Deck is to see how it fares as a total desktop PC replacement when connected to a monitor and mouse, etc.

It should arrive tomorrow if FedEx can deliver on time, which is a pretty big "if" in my experience!

As expected, FedEx is as worthless as always. The tracking information hasn't been updated for two days but still says it's scheduled for delivery today. So I can't tell if it's still halfway across the country or if it's on the way to my door right this minute.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2022, 02:38 PM »
The FedEx tracking information updated about 20 minutes ago. It still says the expected delivery time is within the next 2.5 hours, but it's at least a 5 hour drive away from here. Maybe if they put the package on an airplane to the nearest major airport and then drive it here it could get here on time, but I seriously doubt anything remotely close to that will happen. At this point I'm not confident it will even arrive tomorrow. :(

You'd think that once it got scanned at a location 5 hours away on the day it's supposed to be delivered they'd update the expected delivery time/day to reflect the reality of the situation. >:(

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2022, 04:06 PM »
Which accessories?

Screen Protectors - https://smile.amazon.../product/B09X1B9FSB/
Carrying Case - https://smile.amazon.../product/B09ZYFV1GD/
Stand - https://smile.amazon.../product/B09WV5YGGQ/

I've heard horror stories about 3p docks, so just went for a stand, and I might get this Anker dock later

https://smile.amazon.../product/B08C9HZ5YT/

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2022, 10:57 AM »

Me waiting for 1PM EST today...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2022, 11:02 AM »
If you weren't aware, it may be faster to check your Steam account rather than wait for the email. I've read reports of people not receiving the email for a while, but their Steam account notifies them that they can complete the purchase. :Thmbsup:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2022, 11:08 AM »
If you weren't aware, it may be faster to check your Steam account rather than wait for the email. I've read reports of people not receiving the email for a while, but their Steam account notifies them that they can complete the purchase. :Thmbsup:

Thanks, I didn't know that! I'm trying to force myself to wait for 1EST before checking.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2022, 12:18 PM »
Just completed my purchase! I had to do it on the website rather than through the app for some reason- the app's complete purchase button was non-responsive.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2022, 12:27 PM »
Strange thing happened. I completed my purchase, but it looks like I can purchase another because it's in my cart on Steam after I aborted there.

steambuy.jpg
steambuy2.jpg

Not going any further in trying to purchase it because I don't want 2, but it is strange.

And just checking, I do see my purchase already there.

steambuy3.jpg

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2022, 12:33 PM »
You found the secret loophole! :P

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2022, 12:44 PM »

I reported it just because I don't want to see anyone exploit it and screw up the queues. I should have figured it would be an issue, because I've seen before how the carts on the client and the website are not linked, and it's screwed me before.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2022, 03:10 PM »

I reported it just because I don't want to see anyone exploit it and screw up the queues. I should have figured it would be an issue, because I've seen before how the carts on the client and the website are not linked, and it's screwed me before.

You couldn't have waited a week until I get my 512 order email? ;) :P

I've heard horror stories about 3p docks, so just went for a stand, and I might get this Anker dock later

https://smile.amazon.../product/B08C9HZ5YT/

Have you heard horror stories specifically about the Deck? I've heard tales of 3rd party docks for the Nintendo Switch bricking the system, but nothing about docks/hubs breaking the Deck.

Also, did you see that that Anker hub only supports 4K @30Hz? I'm not sure how well the Deck can handle anything at 4K, so maybe 30Hz is good enough. But I just wanted to be sure you were aware of that hub's limitations in that regard.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2022, 03:38 PM »
Have you heard horror stories specifically about the Deck?

https://www.reddit.c..._bricking_the_steam/

And thanks for that note about the dock. My TVs aren't 4k so I wouldn't be using it with 4k.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2022, 03:43 PM »
https://www.reddit.c..._bricking_the_steam/

I hadn't seen that. Thanks for the link.

The 64GB Deck just arrived! I opened the box to make sure everything was there and that it appeared to be in good condition, but haven't even turned it on yet. Time to dive in! :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2022, 08:41 PM »
Let us know what you think!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2022, 05:48 AM »
As best as I can tell, the hubs "bricking" the Deck was a BIOS issue that has been fixed by now.

https://old.reddit.c...ick_devices/i24z4ey/

I had a little bit of a rough start with the Deck. I had read on Reddit earlier that the Deck doesn't power on when you plug it in, and the instructions said to plug it in before turning it on for the first time, so I plugged it in without turning it on and then I walked away for a few minutes for something else that needed my attention before I got engrossed with the Deck. When I came back it was on and asking me to configure my time zone and connect to WiFi. I pressed a couple of wrong buttons a few times in quick succession and suddenly the screen went black, though it was still lit. I had no idea what was going on. It seems it crashed, or something, and rebooted itself, because after about 30 seconds or so (it felt longer in my confusion) I saw the Deck splash/logo thing and then I was right back selecting my time zone and WiFi. Once I connected to WiFi I can't remember if it asked me to sign into my Steam account right away or if it downloaded some updates first. But the download took longer than it felt it should. And the estimated time remaining said 5 minutes for pretty much the whole time. Then I stopped paying attention to it and eventually it finished and booted into Steam OS. At which point I got a notification that there was a system update ready to be downloaded and installed. So I did that one, too. But that one was really quick, even though it included a reboot of the device.

The 64 GB of storage feels pretty tight. After finally getting into the OS and taking a look at storage, it showed about 42 GB free. I wasn't sure what game(s) to install that I wanted to play right away. I was wary of using up all the storage on games I just wanted to see on the Deck but didn't actually intend on playing. Or on the other hand one game I've been playing lately is the Master Chief Collection (6 Halo games), which takes up over 64 GB and that's without any of the PvP multiplayer stuff installed, and even though you can kind of modularly install each Halo game, the collection is listed as Unsupported, so I didn't want to risk wasting time/space on something that wasn't going to work. So I was having trouble deciding what I should install. At the same time, I had a young family member asking to play a little car/racing/driving game and it was under 500 MB so that was my first install on the Deck. We played that for about an hour and then I decided to check out the Deck's Desktop Mode.

I've never really used Arch Linux before, so there's plenty for me to figure out and explore there. I don't have a hub, and I don't have any USB-C to USB-A adapters, so I can't really connect any of my other devices to my Deck. I also don't have a bluetooth mouse, but I did remember eventually that I have a small bluetooth keyboard I got for an Android device many years ago. So that makes using desktop mode slightly less cumbersome than having to use the virtual keyboard.

One funny thing I caught myself doing: On my Windows PC I have Godot installed through Steam because I figured that would be the easiest way to keep it up to date. But for some reason I didn't even think about installing Godot through Steam on the Deck and went straight to the Discover app and installed the flatpack from there. Though maybe I was smarter than I realized because as I think about it more, I'm not going to want to be confined to Game View (or whatever it's called) while working in Godot. I'll probably want a browser open and probably a file manager and maybe other stuff to alt-tab back and forth to. And I don't see that being a good experience while in Game View. But I'll have to experiment and see how things go.

I actually didn't even run Godot because I wanted to set up some emulation while I was in Desktop mode so I inserted a 256GB microSD card I had laying around after decommissioning my Raspberry Pi earlier this year, and then I spent a couple hours copying files over and making sure the artwork looked nice and by the time I "finished" (in quotes because there's more I want to do) with that I had forgotten about Godot and was eager to get back to the Game View to test out the emulation. Then I started a game I used enjoy a lot in my youth and unintentionally played it all the way through to the final boss. Then I realized how far past my bedtime it was so I checked back here and wrote this up. So that was my first ~12 hours with the Deck.

I actually haven't done much with it yet, but so far I'm really liking it.

One really interesting thing I noticed: The trackpads feel like they physically click, like they have a mechanical button underneath them. Kind of like how you can click joysticks or a mouse scroll wheel. But I think the click feeling is actually just haptic feedback, because if you close the Steam client in Desktop mode, you lose some of the Steam Input stuff and how you interact with the OS changes slightly, and the trackpads no longer "click" when you press on them. It was a really weird feeling to not have those clicks when I pressed down on the trackpads when I thought there were buttons under them. Even thinking about it now after having been using the trackpads quite a bit to drag and drop files and type on the virtual keyboard and stuff, I'm honestly doubting myself and wondering if I actually experienced the click go away. The click just feels so clicky that I'm having a hard time believing that it's not really clicking a mechanical switch. I guess that's another thing I'll have to experiment with some more.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 06:53 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2022, 01:40 PM »
Thanks for the update! Some other accessories I'm looking at:

A different power brick - https://smile.amazon.../product/B09KY4D7RJ/
A Stand adapter - https://smile.amazon.../product/B09YGPKHW8/
Protective Case - https://smile.amazon.../product/B09ZQPWHT1/ (I was going to use the one you get with the 512, but I heard it was crappy)
TouchProtect Steam Deck - https://smile.amazon.../product/B09S3Y74JY/
Keychron K7 65% Layout 68-Key - https://smile.amazon.../product/B08X1GKW3B/

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2022, 02:38 PM »
I had some Dell Rewards available, so I got this dock instead - https://www.dell.com...-afji/pc-accessories

I figured it would work better with my laptop too!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2022, 08:47 PM »
Nice. I've been looking into some hubs. I've been hoping to find something for about $35 at the high end of the price spectrum, but honestly I'm not sure I'll be buying any accessories for a while since buying two Decks back to back is really putting a strain on my budget. I'm really hoping Valve's official Docking Station isn't much more than that when it finally becomes available. I'm also hoping it's not backordered for another year when it launches. 😅

I actually got a 3rd party stand for my Switch a couple years ago that I've intended to repurpose for use with the Deck. But about a year ago I realized that I never play the Switch in tabletop mode (either always docked or handheld) so I removed the stand from my desk and put it away somewhere and I haven't been able to find it since.

Switch Stand.jpgValve Announces Steam Deck: A Handheld PC

In the meantime, I've been using a stand that came with my Wii U. I've found it's actually pretty comfortable to sit the Deck into this Wii U stand and rest my wrists on the desk or table or wherever it's standing and just play it that way.

Wii U Stand.jpgValve Announces Steam Deck: A Handheld PC

Here it is in that stand. The camera focused more on the reflection than on the Deck/stand itself, so the important stuff is a little blurry. . .

Deck in Stand.jpgValve Announces Steam Deck: A Handheld PC

I've actually been pretty busy with other things today and haven't had much time with the Deck yet. But I've gotten Hellpoint installed, which I'm looking forward to taking for a test drive on the Deck soon. It was a free giveaway on GOG sometime last year which I grabbed and then promptly forgot about. I finally tried it out in March or so and really liked it, and it features multiplayer, including split-screen multiplayer, so I bought it on Steam so I could take advantage of Steam's Remote Play Together feature for "local" multiplayer with faraway friends.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 09:52 PM by Deozaan »