topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 11 Announced  (Read 38160 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 11 Announced
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2021, 11:14 AM »
Well, this is an absolute deal breaker for me.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

https://www.microsof...ws-11-specifications

They introduced vertical tabs into Edge because wide screen monitors are so commonplace that it's now worthwhile to do it and save a little of the vertical real estate for content ... then they go do the opposite in the OS.

MS are retarded.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2021, 11:55 AM »
Well, this is an absolute deal breaker for me.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

https://www.microsof...ws-11-specifications

They introduced vertical tabs into Edge because wide screen monitors are so commonplace that it's now worthwhile to do it and save a little of the vertical real estate for content ... then they go do the opposite in the OS.

MS are retarded.

They now want to show you news on the left side of screen, like it or not  :mad:

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2021, 04:04 PM »
YAY!  ;D

Screenshot - 6_27_2021 , 4_54_02 PM.pngWindows 11 Announced

And for anyone else that is wondering exactly what those system requirements are, and if there are some very simple changes you can make to put yourself in the "not qualified" category, Have a look at this:

Screenshot - 6_27_2021 , 4_47_45 PM.pngWindows 11 Announced

Not that I actually did anything to deliberately cause the incompatibility. Microsoft just doesn't like my i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz for some reason. And that's ok with me, at least for now.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2021, 04:55 PM »
Comment from SlashDot looks to be spot on:

"Windows 11 is Microsoft's kiss and make up gift basket to manufacturers for Windows 10. They want the Google Chromebook "5 years and dead" Model and were pissed that MS gave Windows 10 away for free to anyone on 7 or 8 and kept the Minimum requirements so low. Everybody upgraded, no one bought new computers and cue the PC recession.

Now that MS basically killed any PC over 4 years old, Either PC sales will skyrocket now or once 2025 hits."

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2021, 05:57 PM »
Comment from SlashDot looks to be spot on:

"Windows 11 is Microsoft's kiss and make up gift basket to manufacturers for Windows 10. They want the Google Chromebook "5 years and dead" Model and were pissed that MS gave Windows 10 away for free to anyone on 7 or 8 and kept the Minimum requirements so low. Everybody upgraded, no one bought new computers and cue the PC recession.

Now that MS basically killed any PC over 4 years old, Either PC sales will skyrocket now or once 2025 hits."

And having an older laptop with higher hardware specs than most of the brand new crap available on the current market won't save your ass from obsolescence, any more.

My 2.90GHz quad core CPU doesn't qualify, even though it meets the minimum requirements of 1 GHz and at least 2 cores, simply because it's not on their list, by name.

There's no more reason to spend more to buy the best spec laptop available, in the hopes of lengthening the time between laptop purchases. Microsoft can and will kick one of your hardware components off their list, even if it is physically more than capable of running their OS, just to force you to buy a new laptop.

Save your money, buy mediocre...or make sure your kick-ass hardware is 100% Linux compatible.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2021, 09:43 PM »
By 2025 I will likely need a new PC though. The point is not to lock based on artificial requirements (which this is if there are any - Windows 10 iso or other - workarounds). In other words, before 2025 Windows 11 uptake will be worse than some vaccination drives...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2021, 01:03 AM »
And having an older laptop with higher hardware specs than most of the brand new crap available on the current market won't save your ass from obsolescence, any more.

My 2.90GHz quad core CPU doesn't qualify, even though it meets the minimum requirements of 1 GHz and at least 2 cores, simply because it's not on their list, by name.

Your CPU may not have TPM 2.0. My still-quite-capable quad-core (8 threads) Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz CPU certainly doesn't have TPM 2.0 since I bought it in 2011.

AFAIK my machine meets or surpasses all other requirements.

And it's not a good time to buy a new PC due to all the shortages, etc., anyway. Maybe by 2025 or so I'll be ready for a new PC, and the shortages will be a thing of the past. But right now I'm still pretty happy with my 10 year old machine.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2021, 02:08 AM »
Your CPU may not have TPM 2.0. My still-quite-capable quad-core (8 threads) Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz CPU certainly doesn't have TPM 2.0 since I bought it in 2011.

Ordered at the very tail end of 2019, booted up for the first time, January 2020. That's 1.5 years of use before Microsoft decided that it's "obsolete". :(

That's ok though, because I now think Windows in general has come to its end of life, for me, even if it could be installed on this laptop. My next laptop will come with some sort of Linux pre-installed, not Windows. (How's ReactOS coming along, btw?)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2021, 07:46 AM »
For those considering a move to a different operating system like Linux, this YouTube video may be handy.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2021, 10:33 PM »

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2021, 05:03 AM »
We'll be stuck with millions of Windows 10 zombies
We still handle Win7 zombies here, client PC

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2021, 09:34 AM »
That's ok though, because I now think Windows in general has come to its end of life, for me, even if it could be installed on this laptop. My next laptop will come with some sort of Linux pre-installed, not Windows. (How's ReactOS coming along, btw?)

I have been looking through the midrange Laptops for a while now.  It seems now I have to wait until I can get one with W11 pre-installed.  The two Laptops I have purchased so far have had non-functional(we are not allowed to use the word "broken" now apparently) Windows Update mechanisms.  The "free update" to the next Windows version never happens.  So I just assume it will be three in a row if I go with Windows.

The chromebook side of things seems not much better.  There seems to be no logic to the variety of features in a price range.  The exception being that touchscreen is a given.

Walmart just made available a bunch of Gateway Windows Laptops.  The customer reviews seem to indicate kick ass performance in a flimsy housing for cheap.  For example a Ryzen 5 machine with 16GB ram and 256GB SSD for $499. Again though, the W10 with free version update song and dance.  I think I liked things better when they released service packs!   8)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2021, 12:23 PM »
The hardware specifications from those Walmart laptops don't look so great. The CPU inside is not as strong as you believe it is. Ryzen 4800U, 4700U, those are the mobile Ryzen CPUs you should go after. Those are strong and much more future proof than the 3x00U series of Ryzen CPUs. These Walmart laptops only have 2 cores. That is a very weak offering nowadays. Better save up more and get a decent laptop that will last you as these Walmart laptops are more or less useless within a year or two.

Gateway used to be an excellent brand. I still have 15+ year old keyboards from them in active use today. Rock-solid, even though they are not mechanical.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2021, 01:35 PM »
These Walmart laptops only have 2 cores. That is a very weak offering nowadays

Thanks for the heads up.  I guess I have to read up a lot more on Ryzen stuff before I buy anything

Gateway used to be an excellent brand. I still have 15+ year old keyboards from them in active use today. Rock-solid, even though they are not mechanical.

The only Gateway I owned was a Pentium III based desktop I got in 2002.  It came with a VX900 19" CRT.  When I was evicted on Feb. 8 2013 that monitor was still connected to two HP towers via KVMA switch.  It weighed a ton but it would probably still be usable now if it wasn't sent to a land fill.  There was a slight distortion at the perimeter of the screen.  But I had a program to position windows n pixels inside the edge so that the window frames did not appear sliced off at the edge.  A minor quibble.

Besides, that CRT was so heavy I did not want to lift it off the desk once I got it up there.   A very dependable monitor.   :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 01:04 PM by MilesAhead »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2021, 05:51 PM »
These Walmart laptops only have 2 cores.

The only Ryzen 5 laptops in that price range on their website seem to be Ryzen 5 3450u CPUs which are 4 core, 8 thread with Vega 8 gfx based on 12nm technology.

Ryzen 5 5500u based laptops are just starting to become available, (6 core, 12 thread, Vega 7 based on 7nm technology which should reduce battery drain), which are current generation and have a performance equivalent to the previous generation 4500u/4600u.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2021, 08:25 PM »
The Raspberry Pi 4 can run Windows 11:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2021, 01:09 AM »

Kind of makes a mockery of MS' minimum hardware specs, especially w.r.t. the CPU.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2021, 02:48 PM »

It even runs on a Microsoft Lumia 950 phone...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2021, 09:17 PM »

Kind of makes a mockery of MS' minimum hardware specs, especially w.r.t. the CPU.

To be fair, the RPi 4 has a CPU that was made within the past few years, so it may support TPM 2.0.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2021, 08:53 AM »
Why Windows 11 won't run on your new $5,000 Surface PC, but a Mac from 2013 can run the next-gen macOS from zdnet

What that article says (or insinuates) is that Microsoft announced that Windows 10 would be the last version of Windows when they thought there would be higher adoption of UWP and the Microsoft Store, so they could rake in ~30% of all sales taking place on their store and not have to concern themselves with earning money from selling new versions of Windows. Now that they've seen relatively little adoption of their storefront, they've decided to re-theme Windows 10 and force people to pay them for it by requiring them to buy a new computer (and therefore require a new Windows license for the new hardware since Windows 10 licenses are tied to the hardware) to run it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2021, 09:26 AM »
Why Windows 11 won't run on your new $5,000 Surface PC, but a Mac from 2013 can run the next-gen macOS from zdnet

What that article says (or insinuates) is that Microsoft announced that Windows 10 would be the last version of Windows when they thought there would be higher adoption of UWP and the Microsoft Store, so they could rake in ~30% of all sales taking place on their store and not have to concern themselves with earning money from selling new versions of Windows. Now that they've seen relatively little adoption of their storefront, they've decided to re-theme Windows 10 and force people to pay them for it by requiring them to buy a new computer (and therefore require a new Windows license for the new hardware since Windows 10 licenses are tied to the hardware) to run it.

It is kind of weird that Bill Gates was ousted supposedly to shift the focus from desktop hobbyists and office software to a device centric market.  Then they abandon Windows phones altogether.  I remember when I got the Gateway machine it was billed as a server and came with network switches and ethernet card.  It claimed to be capable of running W2K server.  It did, until I tried to create a domain.  I took the domain stuff off but it still crashed on boot every two weeks with the boot error "Illegal opcode in the kernel."  I never saw that error before or since.  It did run NT Server 4.0 fine though.  But if I bought a bunch of them thinking to set my business up on W2K server I'd be pissed.  ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2021, 10:52 AM »

Thanks... I was in a hurry this morning when I posted it so didn't get a chance to post my usual synopsis.

Attronarch

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2021, 12:07 PM »
I'm so happy that I've migrated to Fedora back in 2017. Haven't looked back.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2021, 02:45 PM »
A related article (also ZDNet)
OK Microsoft, you win: I’m buying a Windows 11 PC

with this required hardware-enforced containerization and virtualization tech, Windows 11 will isolate applications and processes much more easily. It will be much more difficult for malware in an errantly running application to access resources it isn't supposed to. It will only access the resources in that specific application task that it infects, such as a particular browser tab.
if you're a Windows user --  consumer or enterprise -- you want this. If you don't have hardware that supports it, it's worth getting a new system.

The problem is that Microsoft buried the lead and employed bait-and-switch tactics to induce us to upgrade, rather than simply being straight with us from the beginning. What Microsoft should have said is: "Look, we can't implement these important architectural changes in the OS to protect you from the bad guys unless your hardware supports this."
OTOH, they say that if you have recent hardware that supports it, this and other security changes enforced in 11 are already implemented in Windows 10...
Tom