topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 3:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: USH-II SD Card compatible with my HP?  (Read 4734 times)

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
USH-II SD Card compatible with my HP?
« on: February 27, 2021, 09:24 AM »
This is a 'hardware' question rather than a 'software' question. 

My work laptop is an HP Pavilion.  This one, I think: PAVILION 13 SERIES PAVILION 13-S120NR X360.  It has a measly 100GB hard drive.   I'm thinking of getting an SD Card to use for extra space.  They have Ultra High Speed ones now that are rated for 300mbs/sec.  Does anyone know how to check if my SD slot is even designed for UHS use?   The HP site is here:  https://support.hp.c...ument/c04790206#AbT0 It just says, "Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader."  If it was a high speed one, it would probably say so--yes? 

EDIT:  Additional info:
https://i.imgur.com/MgxKRUD.png

SCS IVDiskSan Disk   SD8S BAT128G1122Z233
SCS KDskSan Disk   SD8S B AT128G1122
SC SI \Disk San Disk_
SCSINSan Disk   SD8S BAT128G1122Z
San Disk   S D8SBAT128G1122Z
Gen Disk
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 09:37 AM by kunkel321 »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: USH-II SD Card compatible with my HP?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 04:02 PM »
The service manual from your device states the card reader is made by RealTek. The HP driver download website tells me that the most modern driver for your device is: Realtek Card Reader Driver 10.0.10125.21277 Rev.C.

You can download a slightly newer driver from the RealTek downloads section of their website, but there is likely not much to gain by that. Anyway, On the Realtek website I found that set of chips they use for card readers is labelled: RTS5169

There is where you will find any and all formats the SD card reader supports. But from what I gather on the last link, no support for the fastest SD card models. TBH, couldn't be arsed into looking up what speeds it does support as SD card manufacturers and their standards committee make almost as bad a mess as the fools that man the current USB standards committee. Both are equally deserving of being taken behind the shed for disposal...in a similar painful way as well, if you'd ask me. And I know you didn't.

Also, your device is sporting a 6th generation Intel CPU. And not the best ones available in that generation, so you shouldn't expect too much from your card reader regardless. As always, when you have high I/O demands, you better have a powerful CPU (with equally powerful supportive chipset) capable of processing that amount of I/O. Especially a problem in low- and mid-range budget laptops which by definition need to compromise on hardware, because of cooling limitations, battery-life and parts prices. On a side note: the current Intel CPU family is designated as 11th generation, so a 6th generation CPU is getting a bit long in the tooth in 'hardware years', which is quite similar to the concept of 'dog years'.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 04:16 PM by Shades »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 04:11 PM »
According to the drivers available it uses a Realtek chip for the card reader and RealTek only list one on their website, the RTS5169 which supports SD version 2.

According to SanDisk, UHS-II was part of SD version 4, (UHS-I was version 3).

HP Drivers
Realtek
SanDisk

Considering the drivers are dated 2015 and it wasn't until ~2014 that UHS-II was available in very very few cameras, the odds are against it being incorporated into a laptop of that age.

You should also be aware that SD version 2 apparently also specifies a maximum of 32GB for a SDHC card.

SDXC (SD v3) cards aren't supported.

EDIT: Shades snuck in before me :P

The Short Version: A decent USB 3 flash drive will be faster and is available in larger capacities than any SD card your laptop can handle.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 04:19 PM by 4wd »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 04:20 PM »
EDIT: Shades snuck in before me :P

Only because of my laziness to look up the SD standards conversion tables for names given out by standard committees and names given out by manufacturer's marketing departments.....  :D

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 08:13 PM »
LOL   You guys are a hoot.  Thanks for the detailed responses and resources.   The laptop has a couple of USB 3.0 slots and I do have a fast thumb drive that I've been using.  Of course it sticks out of the side, daring me to break it off.  I figured with an SD Card I could leave it in all the time.  I wasn't aware of the 32GB limit though.  So that's no good. 

Here are some of the other specs--if you're curious.  It's an okay little laptop, I guess.  The limitations are sucky though.  I believe it only has one RAM card.  I found a tutorial on youtube, and apparently you have to take the whole bloody thing apart to access it.  Like really, the laptop is in pieces before you can get to the RAM.  Whoever came up with that aught to be taken behind the shed with those other two guys...

Processor   Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30GHz   2.30 GHz
Installed RAM   4.00 GB
System type   64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch   Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

EDIT:  Actually, from looking at that manual, maybe it does take two RAM cards?  IDK.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:20 PM by kunkel321 »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 08:52 PM »
I found a tutorial on youtube, and apparently you have to take the whole bloody thing apart to access it.  Like really, the laptop is in pieces before you can get to the RAM.

My Dell has to be completely disassembled if I want to change the RAM or SSD, no fun at all after doing it twice.

Yours actually looks easier so it shouldn't be a problem to just change the HDD for an SSD if work allowed it and considering it's a 6 y.o. 2.5" mechanical drive, (if it's original), that would probably be the best way to increase the storage, longevity, speed, and decrease the weight.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 10:59 PM »
Over here I have a Lenovo Yoga 500-something (it is a 2-in-1 model, just like you have). 6 screws are required to remove the bottom half of the laptop and that is it, full access to RAM, HD. Could hardly be any easier.

However, I do think that when a complete disassembly is required, the hardware is oriented more optimally for getting rid of generated heat when the device is in operation. Or at least less constricted by solid parts the block the natural rise of heat. The cooling fan inside your laptop should have to work less hard than then when hardware is oriented in my Lenovo.

Replacing the (original) HDD for a simple SATA model hard drive is the best thing you can do for your HP device. I did the same with my laptop and although it isn't a speed demon by any means, it is much more pleasant to work with. However, Windows 10 migration from Windows 8.1 (the original OS) made the laptop very slow after some 30 minutes of use. Only a browser with 2 or 3 tabs open and it became slow immediately. It also took between 48 and 72 hours before the battery was fully charged and regardless of this, the laptop screen would dim an get brighter whenever it thought it was charging/on battery. Which was even more irritating than the laptop not "waking up" properly after closing the lid.

Re-installed Windows 10 from scratch (using the method on the Microsoft site for installing Win 10), same problems. Very frustrated I figured I had nothing to lose to try Linux (ended up with: Pop_OS! from System76).
No more dimming, battery charged to 100% in a pretty short period, resulting in the screen not dimming every few seconds anymore, opened browser with 10+ tabs, while listening to internet radio, actively using VPN for remote working and opened document in the LibreOffice word processor. All without a hitch for any period of time. Laptop is "waking up" much more reliably than it ever did under Windows 10 too.

If you are not squeamish about Linux and you wish to give your HP device a second lease of life, it might be something to consider for you too. In a lot of ways the Gnome interface of Pop_OS! is a drastic improvement on the mess that Windows 10 can be (when you need to configure computer settings).

Sorry for repeating the Linux story from my laptop. Just thought I should mention it as an consideration.

If you want to expand your RAM, the manual states that 8 GByte is the maximum. So if you have 2 RAM slots, you can use 2 x 4 GByte RAM modules to get to 8 GByte. It is possible that the 4 GByte you currently have in that laptop are 2 x 2 GByte modules. In that case you will need to replace both of them. Maybe you are lucky if you can get rid of your old RAM modules, but don't expect to get much for them.

But you might be fortunate and have only 1 RAM slot occupied with a 4 GByte RAM module. You could gamble and buy another 4 GByte RAM module. Pay very good attention to the type of RAM you are buying, else you'll end up with the wrong type. RAM modules that use DDR 3 technology come in two types. If you'll get the wrong type, your laptop won't boot.

Even if you get the correct type, there might still be the possibility that both RAM modules are incompatible in combination with each other, while working just fine separately. Best way to go get a new set of 2 x 4 GByte RAM modules (same brand/make/model) of the correct type and Windows 10 will perform quite a lot better. Your old single 4 GByte RAM module is much easier to flip and for a higher price too.

Still, while you will notice the effect of increased RAM capacity in your laptop, it pales in comparison with exchanging the standard HDD with an SSD. That is an order of magnitude more noticeable. Depending on the storage capacity of the SSD, it is cheaper too. The price difference allows you to buy an empty external HDD enclosure and you can build your current HDD into that enclosure. You haven't lost any data this way, you have sped up your device considerably and you gained an external drive with storage capacity you were already used to. Hook that external drive up to one of your USB 3.0 ports and it will be faster than whatever SD card you wish to use and you won't be bothered by that 32 GB limit.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2021, 03:45 AM »
I do have a fast thumb drive that I've been using.  Of course it sticks out of the side, daring me to break it off. 
You could get one of those tiny usb sticks, I've only seen them go up to 64gb though.
Tom

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 08:10 AM »
I do have a fast thumb drive that I've been using.  Of course it sticks out of the side, daring me to break it off.
You could get one of those tiny usb sticks, I've only seen them go up to 64gb though.

SanDisk Ultra Fit is available up to 512GB and the Samsung Fit Plus up to 256GB.
The previous version of the SanDisk Ultra Fit used to get very hot and throttle the transfer speed badly, I have one.
No idea what the new version is like.

I also have a 128GB Integral Fusion flash drive, very small and works pretty well for a brand I'd never heard of before, they're available up to 512GB.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 03:37 PM »
laptop has a couple of USB 3.0 slots and I do have a fast thumb drive that I've been using.  Of course it sticks out of the side, daring me to break it off.
Been there, made that mistake  >:(  Slots at the back of the laptop especially invite destruction.  Two possible palliatives; a right-angle-bend USB adaptor, and/or an extension cable, both cheap on eBay.

Low-profile USB sticks: the Lexar JumpDrive S47 USB 3.1 flash drive - 128GB costs £25.99 from 7DayShop in the UK.  YMMV.

USB_right_angle_adaptor.jpgUSH-II SD Card compatible with my HP? Lexar_Jump_Drive_128GB.jpgUSH-II SD Card compatible with my HP?

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 06:48 PM »
I like the tiny flash drives!

@Shades: Good point about the need to have the hard drive and whatnot near the fan.  I hadn't really thought about that.  My wife's laptop is an Acer.  Much bulkier than the HP.  It was sure easier to upgrade though...  There's a little panel on the bottom.  Take off the panel and the two RAM slots, the HD, and a U3 slot are all right there.  Nice. 

The HP also has a tiny (and dark) keyboard which I absolutely hate.  So I got an external backlit USB keyboard.  Now I have to use a USB splitter to have room for my flash drive + my keyboard.  So I guess the size of the flash drive is moot now.   My mouse dongle occupies the second USB3 socket.  There's also a USB2 socket, but I think it's broken.  You have to wiggle it to get it to work. 

I thought about getting a mouse/key board combo that shares the same dongle, but I have multiple work locations and don't want to lug the keyboard around with me...  I'll just have a separate splitter and separate keyboard at each site.  (I take the flashdrive and mouse around with me though.)

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 07:58 PM »
Good day @Kunkel321,

another thing you might consider to think about (if it is just space you need) can be those two things:

Wifi Nas, that is a multi purpose discspace station
Or Cloud...

Nas aint cheap, cloud space could be free at all.

Nas has advantage of high speed and future safe due replaceable drives.
My Nas (4x Drive slots) has integrated Internet Server feature, means I can reach it from anywhere. I also do run Virtual Systems from anywhere from that.

My suggestion would not need any Hardware adjustments to your Laptop.

@Shades & others .... Guys: u rock!

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 06:36 PM »
For a clear (and pretty!) explanation about what all markings on SD cards actually mean, here is a less than 7 minutes long youtube video.

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 08:45 AM »
Wow I didn't realize there was so much information in those little pictograms on the SD Cards.    :Thmbsup:

As far as Cloud, Linux, etc, none of those are really options...  This is my work laptop, and the school district I work for won't even let me be an administrator.  I recently requested that they increase the RAM from 4 to 8.  They won't do that either.   >:(    I guess I don't blame them though.  There are many 1000s of staff and student  laptops and Chromebooks that they have to deal with.   And I find that the school district tech departments around here (near Seattle) are sorely understaffed. 

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 09:52 AM »
Of course it sticks out of the side, daring me to break it off. 

FWIW, ever since my daughter shoved her laptop in the bag with the tiny mouse dongle still there, and it proceeded to shove itself into the innards and ruin that port (thankfully nothing else), I have insisted on making all dongle connections with these 6" extenders (sample pic). There's no way to forget something is plugged in. Additional benefit, my wife's arthritis in her hands is fairly advanced and these make it possible for her to plug and unplug a tiny dongle.

clipimage.jpgUSH-II SD Card compatible with my HP?
vi vi vi - editor of the beast