topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2021 Entry: The Lightning Bolt Quiz  (Read 13897 times)

relipse

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I love Jesus. Coding in PHP primarily.
    • View Profile
    • See my GitHub
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2021 Entry: The Lightning Bolt Quiz
« on: December 21, 2020, 07:55 PM »
Using PHP, HTML, CSS and a bit of JavaScript,
I came up with The Lightning Bolt Quiz
How many lightning bolts do you deserve?
https://cworklog.com/gospel/quiz
A unique way to share the gospel of Jesus Christ
2020-12-21 19_53_36-Window.pngNANY 2021 Entry: The Lightning Bolt Quiz
Ex C++Builder coder, current PHP coder, and noob Qt Coder

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2021 Entry: The Lightning Bolt Quiz
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 12:49 AM »
You deserve 7.009.793 lightning bolts.

Great. Electricity for life.

:)

relipse

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I love Jesus. Coding in PHP primarily.
    • View Profile
    • See my GitHub
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 08:15 PM »
What did you think? Did you like the final message?
Ex C++Builder coder, current PHP coder, and noob Qt Coder

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 05:44 AM »
Okay, so it's definitely not my thing... But it is rather cute, and could stand to be a tad longer - Me thinks..

Maybe have a few - grayer area - questions like cheating, and kindness (good deeds subtract lightning).

There really is a lot involved in making - or breaking - one being a good person. I tried to be nice in traffic the other day and let a guy out of a side street...he got hit by a truck two lanes over. If I'd have cut him off, he'd have avoided the accident.

Shit gets tricky sometimes, ya know..?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 06:27 AM »
Meh, Hell has always been where the fun is ...

Spoiler
The Lightning Bolt Quiz - Opera.png

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 09:10 AM »
One seems to deserve lots of lightning bolts for things done during their whole life.  I suppose repentance and penance don't count for anything as far as electricity is concerned, eh?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 10:47 AM »
Meh, Hell has always been where the fun is ...

Spoiler
[ Invalid Attachment ]

How did you do that?  Even maxing everything out, I only got 20,012,580 lightning bolts.  I feel cheated!

Update: And I noticed something.  If you redo it with the same answers over and over, the bolt count keeps going down.  There's a lesson there somewhere, but I don't think it was intentional...

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 03:56 PM »
How did you do that?  Even maxing everything out, I only got 20,012,580 lightning bolts.  I feel cheated!

You're in the USA:
20,012,580 Imperial Lightning Bolts = 34,001,996 Metric Lightning Bolts

Fwiw, I originally clicked on the up arrow for lies to get to 100, (iirc), then I thought "nah, I'm probably underestimating" and entered 1000, then I thought "screw it" and went for broke with Max.
Then I kept that theme going  ;)

Some people are naturally more evil

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2020, 05:16 PM »
I had the same thought process LOL

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 09:55 PM »
I had the same thought process LOL

I think it's random, I just hit max everything this time and got: 28,016,972

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 05:22 AM »
I am so evul that I can not even write a word evul right and I cannot get past 20 mio bolts.

Such a shame

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 06:48 AM »
I am so evul that I can not even write a word evul right and I cannot get past 20 mio bolts.

Such a shame
maybe one gets bonus points for living in Australia....
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2020, 10:11 AM »
I've split the topic.  Anyone that wants to discuss the real-world religious implications is free to do so here.  Please refrain from doing the same in this thread.

Thanks!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2020, 01:41 PM »
I've split the topic.  Anyone that wants to discuss the real-world religious implications is free to do so here.  Please refrain from doing the same in this thread.

Greetings DonationCoder members. I have just completed my re-education.

I, for one, am thankful that DonationCoder has at least one censor who will protect me and other members of this forum from scary thoughts and ideas such as "I wish you joy and happiness," and "God loves you," and "goodwill toward others." Especially when shared on Christmas day. I shudder to think how horrible life would be for all inhabitants of the Earth if these messages of love and goodwill ever managed to become widespread.

Thankfully, DonationCoder censors are doing their part to make sure that will never become a reality. :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2020, 02:25 PM »
Hi Deozaan,
I prompted the 'censoring' of this thread.
You must know that it was not censored because you said things like "I wish you joy and happiness" and "goodwill toward others". You also must know where that discussion goes, and that, if you want that discussion on dc, you gotta allow pretty much all other discussions related to religion. You must also know where that will eventually go.
I understand the dislike of this moving of posts / call it censoring if you want. I also remember the days where there were all sorts of people (I mean beliefs/ views) on dc and there wasn't much discussion about those beliefs or views. That was really nice, but it didnt last. It was a just couple of peple who screwed that up, but that's beside the point.
Sorry that the thread did end up like this ...
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2020, 04:11 PM »
Here's what I see in this thread:

One person, let's call him the evangelist, who has a history of openly and often times annoyingly evangelizing, submitted a NANY which, you guessed it, evangelizes.

A bunch of other people, who are or probably have been annoyed by the evangelist in the past, jumped in the thread bragging about how "evil" they are, effectively trolling the evangelist into doing what he does: evangelize.

Once the evangelist falls for the bait, and responds with the expected evangelism, one or more people cry out, "Censor! Censor! Protect me from the rulebreaker!"

And the message that finally got the hammer to drop was one which took a pretty neutral tone and wished people Merry Christmas on Christmas day.

It makes multiple people in this thread look like crybullies, ganging up and picking on the evangelist, then acting like somehow they're the ones who were wronged. I expected better than that from long-time members of this forum.

I would argue that no one is being forced to read this thread. And due to the nature of the NANY submission, which is described as "a unique way to share the gospel of Jesus Christ," I would say that a little bit of religious discussion is on topic and warranted. Even though I disagree with the way it ("the gospel of Jesus Christ") is being shared, as I mentioned in my now-censored post.

Yes, politics, religion, and perhaps a few other things are generally verboten topics on this forum. But that has always been a soft line, and small exceptions where the discussion veered somewhat across the line have existed in the past. In them, a few mostly respectful, if not slightly heated, posts about politics and/or religion were made. And then, because it was usually off topic for the thread the posts were made in, or because of at least one warning from a moderator (but usually mouser) with the power to enforce the warning, the conversation was steered back to the topic on hand.

This hard-line censorship without warning, in a relatively milquetoast thread, all because someone said something some other person/people disagree with is new.

But as I said before. I've completed my re-education. So I couldn't be more thrilled that after 15 years of allowing respectful discussion of different viewpoints like what I described above to exist on this forum, this is now a place where people we don't like can be bullied into silence. And if they don't choose to be silenced by the bullying, at least they'll be silenced by the censorship. In a year as awful as 2020 has been, we can all be grateful that at least DonationCoder is a better place to be now that the dangerous practice of hearing ideas from people we think we disagree with is no longer allowed. This is the way. :Thmbsup:

EDIT: And keep in mind that I didn't name anybody, though it's pretty obvious who the evangelist is. So if you're not the evangelist and you think I've called you out, then maybe it's your own conscience telling you something. :-\
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 04:23 PM by Deozaan »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2020, 04:48 PM »
^ You make a lot of very good points.
Especially:

Yes, politics, religion, and perhaps a few other things are generally verboten topics on this forum. But that has always been a soft line, and small exceptions where the discussion veered somewhat across the line have existed in the past. In them, a few mostly respectful, if not slightly heated, posts about politics and/or religion were made. And then, because it was usually off topic for the thread the posts were made in, or because of at least one warning from a moderator (but usually mouser) with the power to enforce the warning, the conversation was steered back to the topic on hand.

Some maybe relevant points:
I havent noticed (or had forgotten) this evengalising in the past that you speak of.
I dont think anyone intended to bully, but unfortunately it was disrespectful how we all hopped on the 'I'm evil' bandwagon :( and maybe boils down to bullying
I think my posts were taken as the "warning" by the moderator. (As I say above, I guess I prompted it as well.) Meaning the moving of the posts was not really 'without warning'. But I guess that's a minor point...
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2020, 06:41 PM »
Thank you for your thoughtful and humble response, tomos. I think you make a great example of why this site has been such a pleasure to be a part of for the past 15 years. :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2020, 07:27 PM »
I moved the post, after reporting it.  It was not intended as censoring, just that it had already been asked that we not discuss by members, and the discussion continued.  We did the same thing on Coronavirus related concerns, the most recent being a few scant days ago, so to single this out as not that seemed a bit like it was an uneven application of the rules.  In the future, I'll just report such things for someone else to take care of, as it seems I stepped over a line or something.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2020, 09:57 PM »
I moved the post, after reporting it.  It was not intended as censoring, just that it had already been asked that we not discuss by members, and the discussion continued.  We did the same thing on Coronavirus related concerns, the most recent being a few scant days ago, so to single this out as not that seemed a bit like it was an uneven application of the rules.  In the future, I'll just report such things for someone else to take care of, as it seems I stepped over a line or something.

Do with this what you will, but wraith808 was given the right to moderate, so by all means he should moderate. Maybe my indifference to religious matters clouds my vision, but I didn't see where wraith808 overstepped any line. Timely and consequent application of forum rules I personally appreciate more.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2020, 10:15 PM »
But, in an effort to bring a lighter tone to this thread, check out this link to a fun and musical intermezzo, made by Google. However, you can create your own compositions as well.

The similarity between the music behind this link and Gregorian chant music is quite high. Especially the latter I find "soothing" on many levels , but the Google project comes quite close. Let's hope the link does the same for other participants in this thread.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2020, 02:31 AM »
A bunch of other people, who are or probably have been annoyed by the evangelist in the past, jumped in the thread bragging about how "evil" they are, effectively trolling the evangelist into doing what he does: evangelize.

I'd just like to point out that I'll excuse myself from this bunch because:
  • I have no idea who the OP is and/or whether or not they are Pro-religious because it is quite literally the first time I've looked at a thread by them, (AFAICR), and only because it had "lightning bolt" in the subject, (being a lover of thunderstorms).
  • I am completely indifferent to all things religious ... actually I just don't care.
  • Given the cartoonish nature of the initial graphic I took it as a bit of fun and responded in kind.

BGM

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • bgmCoder DC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2020, 10:27 AM »
Forums topics should be clean and on topic.  I agree with the decision to split the topic as it was easily changing scope (I admit I was helping that along, but I couldn't let things stand like that - I hope you understand what I mean).  As long as the topic was about the app, things were fine with me, and it was amusing to watch people's responses.  I think our moderator is a good one.

I don't know whether y'all think I'm part of the "bunch" or not, though.  hee hee  I do try not to engauge in religious topics here simply because it's not the reason for the site (not that I'm adverse to discussing religion).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 10:33 AM by BGM »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2020, 01:36 PM »
For me the phrase "Situational Awareness" come to mind. This is a software/programming forum, that also just so happens to get a lot of attention (NANY) this time of year. So (to me) any discussion - in a NANY thread - should solely and only be in regard to how well any given program fits - or accomplishes - its intended purpose ... Period!

Yes, at times there can be some 'grey areas' but in the interest of respecting someone's "house" (e.g. Mouser's), I think it is generally best - at times like this - to err-on-the-side-of-caution, and keep things as technical as possible to avoid running across something - potentially... - inflammatory during a time when the audience is highly mixed...

tl;dr Never ask a cop if he wants to get high during a traffic stop, when his body cam is running... Savvy?!?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2020, 02:27 PM »
My 2 cents:

1. The NANY apps are about the coder doing what they want; people can take or leave it.  No shame in making a NANY app that has a personal position on something like politics or religion; everyone is entitled to their own views.
2. We also try very hard to keep politics and religion off the forum (except in the basement section); this is for our own sanity and is a purposeful decision to focus on areas of discussion where we can be most supportive of each other despite our differences; there are other places on the web better suited for healthy disagreements on these topics.
3. I can see this thread has the potential to sit in both realms of #1 and #2.  We try to avoid hard and fast rules here, so this calls for some balance and common sense.
4. Accordingly, I think it makes sense to give this thread some leeway, BUT in general if people want to have an ONGOING active discussion of religious stuff, better to split that off and continue it in the basement or elsewhere.
5. After all -- a thread about a NANY app should be about THAT APP -- not general religious discussion.
6. And of course everyone keep civil and friendly and try to find ways of being supportive of each other.. Especially this year of 2020 where we have all been tested and stressed and freaked out enough already   :Thmbsup: