topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:31 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: some useful but less-known software. share your list!!!  (Read 148593 times)

chashnniel

• Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: some useful but less-known software. share your list!!!
« Reply #200 on: August 23, 2020, 02:36 AM »
Why did you strike that out?
Well, it's not less known, slow and not compatible with some modern USB  :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 04:06 AM by chashnniel »

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2020, 06:12 AM »
I think, I should thank all the members who has been posting many tools which I have never heard but looks very much useful.

So  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: and  :Thmbsup:

BTW we should add a "like" button to message in next Forum code upgrade, IMHO.

Regards,

Anand

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #202 on: August 23, 2020, 02:08 PM »
 :Thmbsup: What he said! Thanks folks!!
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

chashnniel

• Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2020, 09:19 AM »
Customize your Windows 10

Change font style.
cranioscopical has mentioned Advanced System Font Changer which can change Windows font style. While I was using another tool from Japan called noMeiryoUI    172K  USB  Windows 10
Pros: Advanced System Font Changer needs to log off for changes while noMeiryoUI don't. Thus it can save you a lot of time when you are testing which font looks much better on your system.

Change cursor.
Change Cursor 2.0 is great utility to apply a cursor pack(just right click on the crs format file then select apply).    290K  USB-  Windows 10
You can also use it to apply a single cursor (so you can cursor you like in different pack.) Don't forget to download cool cursor pack on their website (totally free!).
change cursor.gifsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!!
Here are some of my favorite packs (you can use Picviewer CE+ (a great script for Tampermonkey to hover/zoom/batch view the preview), there are some other similar add-ons can do this). You can view the images by hover on the link.
rw-designer (no preview)

DeviantArt  (with preview)
Tips: Don't worry, Change Cursor 2.0 won't install the cursor in C:\Windows\Cursors. So you can test them as you like.

Windows theme
SecureUxTheme can help you install Windows themes without modifying the system files. So it's better than UltraUXThemePatcher.
SetUp(200K) + ThemeTool(195K)   USB  Windows 10
Tips: Run the setup to install it. Then use ThemeTool to apply your themes.
SecureUxTheme_ThemeTool.pngsome useful but less-known software. share your list!!!
Recommend to use niivu's theme, best Windows 10 theme designer.
Dracula for Windows 10 and Paranoid Android Windows 10 Themes by niivu.

And if you are a Windows Theme fan, there are some other cool tools. eg. 7TSP GUI can help you install icon pack (best one Lumicons) on Windows.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 09:37 AM by chashnniel »

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #204 on: August 31, 2020, 01:27 AM »
Thanks to all who post on this thread.  :Thmbsup:

KodeZwerg

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2020, 05:47 AM »
I was looking for an alternate to NetDrive and found that pearl: Rclone syncs your files to cloud storage

jeromg

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #206 on: September 05, 2020, 04:03 PM »
Indeed, not just a pearl, a pure gem, thanks @KodeZwerg, I have the strong feeling that rclone will save my butt!

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #207 on: September 06, 2020, 01:12 AM »
Walling
Walling is more than just a tool to organize your information. Walling helps you unload your ideas, jot down notes and save bookmarks frictionlessly. It connects those ideas with what you added in the past, creating a network of ideas and resources that's easy to explore and curate from.

You can also use Walling to plan and organize ideas when you’re working on a new project, researching a topic, writing an article or just about anything. With your ideas side by side, Walling empowers you to step back and get a high level of understanding on what you're working on and helps you synthesize information more efficiently.
Walling.app

I've been using Walling for about a week and I think I'm sold! It seems to fit with how I'd like a note taking app to work, just throw everything at it and organize a little bit later. There are some features missing and there's no native iOS or Android app yet (the former should be in beta within a week), but I'm definitely liking it so far.

The Walling community can be found on Facebook: https://www.facebook...om/groups/wallingapp

Edit:
Walling is free for up to 100 Bricks. You can subscribe to Walling premium to get unlimited Bricks and Walls for $4/mo. Walling also offers Workspaces for teams with centralized billing for $6/mo per team member.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 01:42 AM by TucknDar »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #208 on: September 07, 2020, 01:57 PM »
Walling
Walling is more than just a tool to organize your information. Walling helps you unload your ideas, jot down notes and save bookmarks frictionlessly. It connects those ideas with what you added in the past, creating a network of ideas and resources that's easy to explore and curate from.

You can also use Walling to plan and organize ideas when you’re working on a new project, researching a topic, writing an article or just about anything. With your ideas side by side, Walling empowers you to step back and get a high level of understanding on what you're working on and helps you synthesize information more efficiently.
Walling.app

I've been using Walling for about a week and I think I'm sold! It seems to fit with how I'd like a note taking app to work, just throw everything at it and organize a little bit later. There are some features missing and there's no native iOS or Android app yet (the former should be in beta within a week), but I'm definitely liking it so far.

The Walling community can be found on Facebook: https://www.facebook...om/groups/wallingapp

Edit:
Walling is free for up to 100 Bricks. You can subscribe to Walling premium to get unlimited Bricks and Walls for $4/mo. Walling also offers Workspaces for teams with centralized billing for $6/mo per team member.

Looks a lot like Notion.  Have you used that?  If so, can you say how it's different?

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2020, 02:28 PM »

Looks a lot like Notion.  Have you used that?  If so, can you say how it's different?

Sorry, haven't used Notion. I've seen several people comparing them, but unfortunately I can't be of any help there...

sphere

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2020, 07:29 PM »
Walling

Walling.app

Edit:
Looks interesting. Is it possible to use completely offline, without relying on their servers?  I see there is a desktop app.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #211 on: September 16, 2020, 03:41 AM »

Looks interesting. Is it possible to use completely offline, without relying on their servers?  I see there is a desktop app.

Not yet, no. It's a planned feature, however. The iOS app is in beta, and an Android app is coming, too (there's a workaround currently, which makes the website work more or less like an app, including ability to share from Twitter, Instagram, etc.).

Roadmap: https://walling.app/...ling-product-roadmap

A couple of users are using Walling as a portfolio: https://walling.app/...57ssdAD/my-portfolio and https://walling.app/...jiyQ/photo-portfolio

tobi.codes

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2020, 09:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing!
Great overview!  :Thmbsup:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #213 on: December 31, 2020, 08:05 PM »
Restic

Restic is a modern backup program that can back up your files:

• from Linux, BSD, Mac and Windows
  • to many different storage types, including self-hosted and online services
  • easily, being a single executable that you can run without a server or complex setup
  • effectively, only transferring the parts that actually changed in the files you back up
  • securely, by careful use of cryptography in every part of the process
  • verifiably, enabling you to make sure that your files can be restored when needed
  • freely - restic is entirely free to use and completely open source

And not strictly software: ffmprovisr

A ffmpeg resource for help with various operations.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 08:12 PM by 4wd »