topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: making a single .jpg from a web-page that is over one screen long  (Read 11984 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is this easy to do with one or more of the tools?

My normal screen capture is Win-Snap and Abbyy ScreenShot Reader.

I've used some others.  I simply want to make a jpg that shows the whole magilla.
The source web pages will usually be under two screen pages long.

Also if there is a way using a Windows and "-" key, or reducing in some way, that is an alternate.

Your suggestions?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Have you looked for extensions/addons for your browser that will do this -- they often the best solution.

Screenshot Captor does scrolling capture, is very good, (but this job appears to be problematic at times for all apps).
Was going to recommend mouser's series of videos related to SC but have no idea where they are -- mouser ! there's no links to those videos on SC's homepage?
Tom

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FWIW Firefox's own screenshot tool does that well in my experience

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks!

So far I've tried Nimbus and Awesome Screenshot on Chrome. 

Some results here:
http://www.purebible...&p=1318#post1318

Awesome allows lots of tweaking.
Both seemed to want to make .PNG which do not get large easily like my .JPGs

I can simply cut and paste from the website into the forum, but then the double column loses the matching integrity.
I am leaving the examples on the page for now.

And I own SnagIt 7 - that might be a good try.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 11:45 AM by Steven Avery »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
With you being a DC veteran, I'm a bit disappointedsurprised you haven't tried Screenshot Captor yet... (as already suggested above) :huh:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Both seemed to want to make .PNG which do not get large easily like my .JPGs
-Steven Avery (June 12, 2018, 11:36 AM)
I think this sentence might be incomplete or incorrect? Doesn't make sense to me anyways.

You say above you want jpgs (in SC you can make jpg default). Why jpgs btw?
Tom

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've used Pearl Crescent Page Saver Basic for a while, it allows both PNG and JPEG.

Also, I second the question: why jpg ? PNG offers lossless quality and may even produce lighter files (depending on the contents on the page).

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I've used wkhtmltopdf and wkhtmltoimage before with great success.

What is it?
wkhtmltopdf and wkhtmltoimage are open source (LGPLv3) command line tools to render HTML into PDF and various image formats using the Qt WebKit rendering engine. These run entirely "headless" and do not require a display or display service.

There is also a C library, if you're into that kind of thing.

How do I use it?
Download a precompiled binary or build from source
Create your HTML document that you want to turn into a PDF (or image)
Run your HTML document through the tool.
For example, if I really like the treatment Google has done to their logo today and want to capture it forever as a PDF:

wkhtmltopdf http://google.com google.pdf
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've used Pearl Crescent Page Saver Basic for a while, it allows both PNG and JPEG.

Also, I second the question: why jpg ? PNG offers lossless quality and may even produce lighter files (depending on the contents on the page).
-ConstanceJill (June 12, 2018, 03:35 PM)

png is larger in many cases.  And if you reduce the quality, why go lossless.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
P
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 05:22 AM »
Not sure whether these will have been already tried/suggested:
Screengrab:
http://www.s3blog.org/screengrab.html
(Add-on for Firefox and Chrome.)

ScreenshotGuru:
Screenshot Guru - <https://screenshot.guru/>
Screenshot Guru, available at screenshot.guru, lets you screen-capture beautiful and high-resolution screenshot images of any web page on the Internet. You can screenshot tweets, news articles, photo galleries and everything that's public online.

You don't need any screen-capture software or browser extensions to capture screenshots. And the tool works with lengthy web pages too that extend below the fold. To get started, simply enter the full URL of any web page in the input box, solve the CAPTCHA and hit the "Screen Capture" button.

Screenshot Guru cannot capture web pages that require login (like your Gmail mailbox), pages with Flash embeds (like the YouTube video player) or AJAX based sites like Google Maps.

You can also add device frames for more awesome mobile screenshots. iPad and iPhone have built-in screen capture, including some Android phones, but they cannot capture full screenshots of web pages. Screenshot Guru has no such limitation.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: making a single .jpg from a web-page that is over one screen long
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 05:46 AM »
Thanks!

I had noticed with regular pics, that if I took two pictures of the same screen region
with WinSnap .. that the .PNG pic would not go into vBulletin as large as the . JPG
So I made sure the setting is .JPG.  Dunno why it works that way.

==============

Awesome Screenshot (ran better in Chrome) did fine in making the image, .PNG, but again, it would not
go into vBulletin as large as I would like.  Maybe there is a fix for that.

Screenshot Captor seems to want me to do some stitching, and was showing me part of my
screen above and below the actual browser window (I think) I would be happy to try again
later but for now it is not simple enough.

Pearl Crescent Page Save is Firefox 57 (Quantum) and I use lower Firefoxes like 52.
In a pinch I could run both versions.

My SnagIt 7 license is pretty low for Windows 10, not really compatible.

Screengrab and ScreenshotGuru - maybe

Conceptually, it may well be that extensions do better, because they are thinking website window.

Of course, there are likely a couple dozen others.

Steven

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:02 AM by Steven Avery »

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Use FastStone Capture last free version and click on Capture scrolling window.

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 04:39 PM »
png is larger in many cases.
It heavily depends on the type of picture you have. JPEG is mostly better for photos while PNG is better for pictures with much higher contrast, such as most webpages that do not include photos as their main contents.

I just tested with this thread's page as it was displayed on my computer before I posted, and got a 449 KB .PNG file on one side, and a 1.2 MB .jpg file on the other side.
Trying to save to JPEG that same picture (starting from the lighter, lossless version) with enough compression so that it goes below 450 KB (using IrfanView, either with the RIOT plug-in and specifying a size, or without the RIOT plug-in but by trying various possible values for the quality slider) produced pictures with lots of artefacts around the text, which is really ugly.

Also, the PNG file I obtained can be quickly optimized to become even smaller, still without quality loss, with programs such as PngOptimizer : I got it down to 372 KB.

Pearl Crescent Page Save is Firefox 57 (Quantum) and I use lower Firefoxes like 52.
-Steven Avery (June 13, 2018, 05:46 AM)
Only the version called Page Saver WE (for WebExtensions) requires 57+, while this one is for earlier versions.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 08:11 PM »
It heavily depends on the type of picture you have.
-ConstanceJill (June 13, 2018, 04:39 PM)

That was my only point.  It does depend.  But in your original post you said "why JPG" as if it had no place

* wraith808 shrugs

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 02:29 AM »
I just "instinctively" thought PNG was very likely to be better for webpages because from my own (admittedly subjective) experience, I found that most web pages produce both lighter and better quality pictures being saved as PNG, unless the contents of the page includes a significant portion made of pictures (especially if those are already in JPEG), and thus it seemed only natural to question the choice of JPG.

For now we only know that OP encounters some kind of issue when posting PNG pictures to forums working with vBulletin, which seems to be the only reason —although I guess it may be a fair enough one, if the issue is too bothersome and can't be fixed— why he favors JPG.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 02:51 AM »
For now we only know that OP encounters some kind of issue when posting PNG pictures to forums working with vBulletin, which seems to be the only reason —although I guess it may be a fair enough one, if the issue is too bothersome and can't be fixed— why he favors JPG.
-ConstanceJill (June 14, 2018, 02:29 AM)
Yes, the issue was simply that the .JPG would fill up the page in vBulletin on the large sizes.  The .PNG would make a smaller image to the left. For my purposes, I generally like the biggies.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 07:43 AM »
Yes, the issue was simply that the .JPG would fill up the page in vBulletin on the large sizes.  The .PNG would make a smaller image to the left. For my purposes, I generally like the biggies.
-Steven Avery (June 14, 2018, 02:51 AM)
Would be interesting to hear if that also the case with screenshots taken by other softwares
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 09:04 AM »
I just "instinctively" thought PNG was very likely to be better for webpages because from my own (admittedly subjective) experience, I found that most web pages produce both lighter and better quality pictures being saved as PNG, unless the contents of the page includes a significant portion made of pictures (especially if those are already in JPEG), and thus it seemed only natural to question the choice of JPG.

-ConstanceJill (June 14, 2018, 02:29 AM)

Sometimes I've found that JPG is better still.  The PNGs on some (even not photographs) is very much larger.  I still like PNGs better, but after anecdotal evidence (especially with photographs as you state), I always check the size and go with whichever works best for the situation.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 10:07 AM »
JPG format really doesn't do websites/text well. If you want clarity, PNG is just going to work a lot better. Personally, I'd use the Awesome Screenshot extension for the capture and then run the image through https://tinypng.com/ to optimize file size.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 01:09 AM »
What I read from the OP is that not the smallest file is the issue, but the fact that vBulletin displays the jpg's larger then png's. And in the end that's just a setting/style fix on the vBulletin side...

From that startingpoint, the discussion on jpg vs. png, it comes down to the actual use, seeing that jpg is crap on fine details, but quite alright on photos, where png is very good in fine details, but also good in photos, with the side note that those png-photo files seem to be a tad larger than their jpg counterparts.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 04:31 AM »
What I read from the OP is that not the smallest file is the issue, but the fact that vBulletin displays the jpg's larger then png's.

it sounds like it has a fit-to-window setting for jpegs; the png OTOH is being shown actual size.
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2018, 03:50 PM »
PicPic (free-for-personal-use) will also do scrolling capture.  A few years ago, I tried it and mouser's SSC side by side on a complicated web page.  SSC was more 'fuss' in that it wanted to do a dummy run first, but when I let it do that, there was no question that it gave a rather better result.  However, it still wasn't perfect because the web page was just too complex.

Is the OP irremediably determined to use JPGs?  I wondered if other options had been considered, e.g.:
  • Save web page to disk complete - can end up with a multitude of files/directories, though
  • Save as a .MHT / MHTMLw file, so the whole web page is in a single file
  • Print to a PDF
  • in extremis, print to a text file

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2018, 11:05 AM »
http://www.faststone.../FSCaptureDetail.htm

FastStone Screen Capture is now at version 9. She's still both cheap and easy, but highly capable.
$20 for a lifetime key. Mine has so far lasted 6 years. A Best Buy.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 09:30 AM »
Great suggestions.  Will be revisiting and testing. 

The goal is to make a scrollable website, usually under 2 page sizes total into one clear and simple pic.  This will often be quicker, and look better, than doing multiple pics.  And in some cases even a longer web, like 3 or 4 pages, may do well.

Lintalist

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Lintalist
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2018, 01:28 PM »
You can automate it if you wish and/or need to using PhantomJS - a headless browser (its portable, just unpack it) - example code
http://phantomjs.org/screen-capture.html
(note you can adjust the view port so you could grab a page at various resolutions e.g. mobile vs desktop)