topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Hating on AVG antivirus/firewall (internet security)  (Read 12519 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hating on AVG antivirus/firewall (internet security)
« on: June 04, 2018, 10:58 AM »
I've been using AVG Internet Security antivirus and firewall for last few years (I like that it's an integrated tool).

Each year it seems to get worse and worse -- more bloated, more opaque, more intrusive into system, more convoluted, slower, etc.

Today I plugged in one of my backup drives, and slowly started getting notices that AVG was deleting files from it that were dangerous mail attachments.  It was a backup of an older mail folder, so the problem is not so much that it was deleting malicious files (the attachments in the old mail folders were surely spam and bad) -- the point is --- I don't need my pc slowed down by an antivirus scanning entire backup drives the moment i plug them in.. It's just one more example of AVG trying to "help" me by doing a million things behind my back that slow down my pc.  STOP DOING THINGS I DIDN'T ASK YOU TO DO!

I think I am basically at my breaking point and need to move to another software.

Any other suggestions for a NON-BLOATED antivirus + firewall combo?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Hating on AVG antivirus/firewall (internet security)
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 12:27 PM »
I use Malwarebytes and Windows Defender.  For the firewall, I currently just use Windows firewall.  I've tried a few (WinPrivacy, Tiny Personal Firewall, AVG) but in the end, it was more trouble than it was worth.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 12:53 PM »
My security measures (for home) are practically similar to what wraith808 applies. The Windows Firewall is good and doesn't demand much resources. It's interface isn't that great, but there are solutions for that as well. Since Windows Vista/7 the Windows firewall has been so good that I never used another one again. Heck, even the one in Windows XP was already half decent.

Windows Defender might not be the best of the absolute best, but it is good and in combination with common sense and a good add-blocker, you are already very secure. Then add MalwareBytes and notice how much faster your computer is, while being protected against the lion's share of culprits on the internet. Keep all of these tools up-to-date and you will have the smoothest Windows experience your computer can provide.

Nowadays the anti-virus software itself is being targeted, because of the amount of low-level access and rights these suites claim and their ability to process every type of file (to see if a file has been infected) on your computer.   

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 06:55 AM »
Vote 3 for Windows Defender, as all the latest trends in security point to AV being virtually useless because of the focus on hacking the wetware (user). So low resource usage "good enough" AV (e.g. Windows Defender) is the most common recommendation coupled with the need for reduced permissions, and "Human Firewall" training. Which gets the user into the habit of slowing down just a bit and thinking about what they're about to click on. Anything hot-button or excessively emotive should be reflexively deleted.

It sounds tricky as hell - Eek! Training End Users!?! Impossible! Sacrilege!! ...But it's really not as bad (or completely insane) as it sounds. I've had really good luck with it here for quite a few years.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 07:28 AM »
I don't know. On some of our computers we do this. And I think it's good enough for the vast majority of threats.

But I can usually arrange it so that Bitdefender doesn't cost me much and system impact seems very small except for a minute at start up. Also have Malwayrebytes (except when it decides it won't deal with live threats).

So, for me, it is all a small bit of gain (maybe) on the one side against a small cost on the other. Decision could swing either way any time depending on circumstances.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 12:45 PM »
Funny story.  I have a laptop from my company that they have for me to take home.  They've become more and more restrictive, to the point that to even use webmail you have to connect to to the vpn.  On my home computer, I set up a virtualbox, used one of my mb lifetime licenses on that box, and connect that way.  On my laptop, they're using Kaspersky.  They updated kaspersky, and I did the reboot, and Kaspersky was completely borked.  I hate Kaspersky already, but that made me hate  it with a passion.  I tried to re-enable windows defender, but whatever they did to disable it appears to be permanent.  Kaspersky said to repair it, but lo and behold they have disabled the repair option with administrative policy.  So I downloaded a trial of malwarebytes, and am back up and running- hopefully support will get back to me within 14 days (it's been 2 days so far of non-productive time :-\).  They seem to care more about security and vpns than productivity, so who am I to argue?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Windows Defender / Firewall and Malwarebytes for me.

Don't know if you are aware but Avast now owns AVG - Avast was supposed to be a light AV but has gradually succumbed to bloatware. I always thought AVG was more bloated than Avast but they seem to be going the same way now.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Funny story.  I have a laptop from my company that they have for me to take home.  They've become more and more restrictive, to the point that to even use webmail you have to connect to to the vpn.

That might have to do with DNS registration and security (through obscurity). When you connect with VPN to your company's network, your system becomes part of that network and features such as webmail do not require to be completely/correctly/properly configured to become accessible for the computers in your company's network. Which makes for (much) less direct attack vectors that people outside your company's network can use to wreak havoc.

Such things suck for legit external use...but as you stated, security trumps productivity, right? 

On the AV topic:
For those that do not want or can use WinDefender, there is BitDefender, which has barely any interface to speak of, but also doesn't bother you much with advertorial pop-ups. Not sure about its consumption of resources, but the lack of nagging is in my book a blessing.   

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 11:35 PM »
Funny story.  I have a laptop from my company that they have for me to take home.  They've become more and more restrictive, to the point that to even use webmail you have to connect to to the vpn.

That might have to do with DNS registration and security (through obscurity). When you connect with VPN to your company's network, your system becomes part of that network and features such as webmail do not require to be completely/correctly/properly configured to become accessible for the computers in your company's network. Which makes for (much) less direct attack vectors that people outside your company's network can use to wreak havoc.

Oh, I understand it.  It's just stupid.  Especially when your VPN software locks just about everyone remote out of the software at some point, reducing productivity to zero.  We even have a public e-mail thread about people sharing methods that they've used to connect when AnyConnect isn't working.

erikts

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 11:35 PM »
The Windows Firewall is good and doesn't demand much resources. It's interface isn't that great, but there are solutions for that as well.

What is the best solution that you use? Thanks.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 08:31 AM »
The Windows Firewall is good and doesn't demand much resources. It's interface isn't that great, but there are solutions for that as well.

What is the best solution that you use? Thanks.

https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php

Malware yes just bought it, so not sure of the future of it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 09:48 AM »

from the homepage:
We at Malwarebytes are big fans too. That’s why we’ve asked Binisoft founder Alexandru Dicu to join our team. Moving forward, we will be integrating the Binisoft Windows Firewall Control technology into our cybersecurity products. This key integration will enable Malwarebytes to deliver more flexible and robust cybersecurity to you or your business. And not to worry—we will maintain, support, and [we will] keep Binisoft products free for everyone in the short term. Learn more about the acquisition here.
my emphasis
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 01:39 PM »

from the homepage:
We at Malwarebytes are big fans too. That’s why we’ve asked Binisoft founder Alexandru Dicu to join our team. Moving forward, we will be integrating the Binisoft Windows Firewall Control technology into our cybersecurity products. This key integration will enable Malwarebytes to deliver more flexible and robust cybersecurity to you or your business. And not to worry—we will maintain, support, and [we will] keep Binisoft products free for everyone in the short term. Learn more about the acquisition here.
my emphasis

That short-term is my worry.

YannickDa

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2018
    • View Profile
    • StackNotes homepage
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 05:52 AM »
Well, i was absolutely in the same case as Mouser.
I couldn't stand the intrusive behaviour of AV software anymore;
so i went to search for something really different and found this :

Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus

I went for the "Gamer" version and since i've installed it, i am very (and i mean VERY) happy with it.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 06:00 AM »
Well after using AVG Free for more than 10 years and always vouching for its benefits, I finally uninstalled it few months ago.

I ignored the intrusive behavior, taking away window focus, random popup message etc. as it is a free product. But when it started locking my exe and dll (which I developed), I had enough.

I rely on Windows Defender now.

Regards,

Anand

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 08:46 PM »
I have come to view AVG as a loathesome bloated blight.. I strongly advise against using it.  It has become ever more painful and confusing to use over the years.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 12:00 AM »
I have come to view AVG as a loathesome bloated blight.. I strongly advise against using it.  It has become ever more painful and confusing to use over the years.

Sadly I think that could apply to most (if not all) of the alternatives 

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 01:29 AM »
Linux + gufw

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 04:43 AM »
Yes. I left AVG for good since last 2 years. I am not regretting.

Relying on default Windows Defender now.
No 3rd party anti-virus now, as developing in AutoHotkey is problem for most of them.

Regards,

Anand

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2020, 05:39 AM »
For those curious about just how horrifyingly asymmetrical the AV war has become, check out the ebook Panzer posted in the free ebooks thread:

The Antivirus Hackers Handbook: https://www.donation....msg441234#msg441234

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2020, 01:56 PM »
Now that book looks interesting..

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 11:32 AM »
Now that book looks interesting..

It's as close to riveting as you can get with technical documentation. We're not talking about watered down high level (Barney Style..) Pablum for upper management to consume in the boardroom via PowerPoint. This is live fire, in the trenches, pack-A-lunch, scientifically proven reproducible results with all the code - both disassembly and exploit - given for review and testing!

This by far the single most incredibly in-depth flat-out awesome thing I have ever read on the topic!

SamDengmar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2020
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2020, 12:56 PM »
I do not recommend using antivirus software other than Microsoft antivirus! :up: :up: