topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: 10th Anniversary - long time member check-in thread  (Read 297704 times)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 10th Anniversary - long time member check-in thread
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2015, 04:57 PM »
I got my head back together mostly by reviving an interest in long-distance cycling. I worked up to doing a couple of 200+ mile rides last year, and have hosted a few passing international tourists.   I'm still looking for enough employment to stop the savings eroding.  :(

Hey, come join us for RASDAK!

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2015, 08:21 PM »
Hello All,

I was surprised when I got the e-mail from mouser. Has it really been that long? I guess a combination of switching to Ubuntu for a few years (college experimentation  ;D) and having my life consumed with school, dating my now wife :-* , and work. Sorry, I was away for so long! It's amazing to think that back in 2007 I was still doing my undergraduate degree.I'm glad to see others are still with us!

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2015, 05:57 AM »
I got my head back together mostly by reviving an interest in long-distance cycling. I worked up to doing a couple of 200+ mile rides last year, and have hosted a few passing international tourists.   I'm still looking for enough employment to stop the savings eroding.  :(

Hey, come join us for RASDAK!

Looks interesting, but there's  the little matter of the Atlantic Ocean (I'm in Northern Ireland)     :)
If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2015, 10:45 AM »
Hi Laughing Man -- congrats on the wife and life progress!  :Thmbsup:

czb

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • My open-source online piano game
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2015, 01:26 AM »
Hi all,

it has been a while since my last post and even longer since my real activity here (7 years ago!! :) ). The time runs really fast - unbelievable.

Well during the last 7 years I finished university studies in the Czech Republic, moved to Denmark where I successfully finished PhD. studies. Then I got married bought a house and got a job at the Danish Technological Institute :) . But I still keep DonationCoder part of my life - every morning at work I drink a cup of tea from the mug I got during NANY 2009!  :-* .
My open-source online piano game: https://github.com/musicope/game

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2015, 11:16 AM »
czb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

That's wonderful! What was your thesis on?  Show us some photos!  And if your mug ever breaks, send me an email so I can send you a replacement  :)

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2015, 07:23 AM »
Hi Mouser,

Thanks for the reminder email. Wow, I made the lost sheep list. Didn't even realized I made that many posts previously.

I do return to Donationcoder every so often, lurking around, so not really lost. Just not posting as much as in the past.

I'm still using Windows as my main OS, just that my time is split with Android devices as well.

I certainly did learned a lot and still learning about useful software from everyone here and really appreciate that.

Thank you for starting this great site and leading the community.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2015, 03:39 PM »
patteo!!! great to see your snoopy avatar, brought a smile to my face :)  :up:

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2015, 08:21 PM »
Hey, mouser - how cool to see your name in my inbox. I hope you and all of the other brilliant DC members are doing well.

Most of the time I was here, I was trying to learn (often by reading interesting threads) how to keep my VAIO running. It occurred to me one day that learning how to do things like dig around in my registry & perform other magic tricks was no longer a skill to be learned, but rather a requirement in order to run windows & over time it really ticked me off that I'd spent so much money and time, only to be forced to learn what did not come naturally to me at all - to need so many skills just to get the computer to allow me to do something simple like write an email. So, one day I just got so frustrated, I turned the VAIO off & never turned it on again. I went 3 years with no computer, the last 2 relying on my iPhone 4s which worked like a dream. Then, I didn't even want a computer but I got one, with the hope of getting a job online. I have an Apple MacBook Pro. I'm taking my time with learning it, but so far it's just like a computer that works.

I loved my time here. I loved the huge variety of topics and most of all I loved the way it was run...nobody except a troll I think was ever condescending of my elementary queries, or anyone else's, and that's really what the forum here was to me. Kind of a shelter from the storm of too much information. I was so happy when I could get help, I remember all of the times members have answered my questions, and how nice everyone was.
I have so much respect for all of you here. It's like the computer keeps telling you, "No", & you all keep saying, "Really? Watch me".
Now I'm just an old lady on Facebook (I still don't understand twitter,  :()
Thanks for pulling me out of the rock I was under, I also have some unfinished business with another member for their kindness when I was on the board. :)

Good luck, have fun & keep up your nice attitude, mouser.  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Sincerely.
-Sarah

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2015, 06:54 AM »
Howdy y'all! Has it already been 10 years? Also, a related question: has it only been 10 years? I still use a lot of the software that I learned about through this forum and some of it I feel like I've been using "forever" so 10 years almost doesn't seem long enough. Thanks for the call-back mouser!

I've picked up the hobby of CNC milling so most of my forum time has been on CNCZone lately. I also have a YouTube channel I've been trying to update every now and then with my current machining projects (I'm sure a clever person could easily find it if they wanted).

My battles with software are unending. The CAD/CAM software landscape is bleak, I don't know how some of these people sleep at night when they charge thousands of dollars for software that is occasionally barely-functional. My desire to vent is hard to repress, but I'll save it for other threads...

Good to see the site is still kicking!

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2015, 04:06 PM »
Hello all,

hard to believe i haven't posted since a few years. :tellme:

Mouser, i have to tell you i still think FARR is the most useful software on the planet !  :-*

mwang

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2015, 12:57 AM »
Many thanks to mouser for starting the thread, and sorry for being late to the party. I'm busy, and it's mostly for the same reason I no longer frequent this forum.

Another big reason, as mentioned by some others: my main desktop is a Mac (a hackintosh to be exact) nowadays. A macbook air and two Android devices (a phone and a pad) take turn accompanying me on the road, and my server is a linux box. Windows? I still use it occasionally, but only in a virtual machine.

I'm not a programmer. I came here to find software not heavily promoted elsewhere, and more importantly, to find software reviews written by real users, and from time to time could share my experiences with others. Having used mostly mac software the last few years, however, little on the forum remains relevant to me, and there's even less I could contribute.

I do check out the forum from time to time, but the frequency has declined; so does the average length of stay. I thought of saying hello a couple of times, but the longer I've been away, the harder it is to say hello. It doesn't mean I don't miss you guys. As many have said, this is a great family.

Happy Birthday, DC!

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2015, 06:15 AM »
Hi!

So, ummm, I got a software developer job back in 2011, and after that it seemed like less fun doing hobby development. After having forgotten to check in at DC for a while due to real-life stuff, I guess it's been a nagging sense of guilt that has kept me away - including not having worked on fSekrit for far too long. That, and the overwhelming thought of "how the heck will I ever be able to read through the backlog of unread posts?". There's 103 pages of those, so that's about ~4100 posts. I think I'll skip catching up :)

Other than that, I've been thoroughly disillusioned with the opposite sex, and have given up the idea of a happy ever-after. Instead I've developed a serious relationship with World of Warcrack, which is a time-consuming polygamy of 8x level 100 toons (and counting). Yep, that game has also just had its 10-year anniversary.

Still got the job. After having worked for some 3 years with Adobe's crapjob AEM CMS system, I'm currently working on back-end integration stuff in Java on the JBOSS platform. I'm slowly reaching the conclusion that RedHat makes up version numbers by adding the various 0.x versions of alpha-quality software, but I guess that's what Open Source gives you... can't make the software too good, or you won't be able to make an income on supporting the hackjob :p

Using a shiny macbook for work now, but won't be switching away from Windows for my home workstation anytime soon. OSX is just too unstable and full of suckyness.
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2015, 07:39 AM »
YAY!@!!!!
:redface: :redface: :redface: :greenclp: :redface: :redface: :redface:

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
So many wonderful voices and avatars from the past!!!!
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

SKesselman, great to see you!
Hirudin!! I'd like to see some photos of your hobby work.. I will look for your youtube channel.
Nitrix, i still wonder what your forum name means..
Mwang, thank you for the nice sentiments -- don't feel bad for switching to mac -- whatever works for you!
f0dder!!!!!!!!!  :greenclp: it is so great to hear from you.  no need for anyone to feel any guilt for being away from dc or declaring "bankruptcy" from unread post list :) ps. you're too young to give up on the idea of happy ever-after!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2015, 10:53 AM »
The #1 most wanted lost sheep is now Nudone, 13th person to join the site, and infamous creator of Cody the donationcoder mascot.  This individual must be tracked down and subdued!  I'm doubling the bounty!

Update, according to the forum info (hard to say if it's accurate), but it says today is Nudone's Birthday!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2015, 11:28 AM »
Cody is feeling lost without his creator.. :(

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2015, 01:44 PM »
Elvis just left the building (aka: nudone was a visitor, less than 30 minutes ago, but it may be something automated as I see his name in the recent visitors list several times a day)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2015, 01:56 PM »
Hello. Indeed it is my birthday today but more importantly it is nearly the 17th of March, the date ten years ago I joined the site. (I was going to wait until Tuesday and then briefly say hello but Mouser has called me out.)

There's not a lot to say... I'm still here; just lurking. I probably check the forum five times a day. I don't do Facebook nor Twitter so this forum takes the place of all that (as it did before social media came along).

I'm busy with work, putting wordpress sites together (none of my own designs) or fixing other people's. I don't do any illustration, etc. I wouldn't have the time even if I had the inclination now. Maybe that will change one day (sorry Cody).

Anyway, it seems odd saying much else as I'm still here, everyday, just lurking behind that wall over there. I'll still be here in ten years as I'm sure DC and mouser and Cody will be. Until then, all the best to everyone on the forum.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2015, 03:16 PM »
nudone!  the nude one!!

good hearing from the old time members.  You know, a lot of people scoff at the nature of the internet and technology, and how it's not as personal.  I don't know.  This is pretty real.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2015, 03:21 PM »
Just wanted to post the historic first time Cody appeared.  Some sweet nostalgia:
November 12, 2005, 12:25:42 PM
Untitled-2.jpg

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2015, 05:09 PM »
Great picture SB!  Thanks for posting it!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2015, 06:19 PM »
For those not familiar with some of the amazing illustrations that nick (nudone) has done, a good site to check out is his Codex Transportica: http://www.codextransportica.com/

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2015, 06:23 PM »
Nick, I cannot express to you how happy it makes me to see you post.  This may sound loopy, but to me, the cody you created has become donationcoder to me, in my mind.  And it's that little bird that I think of when I think of the site.  You breathed life into him with your illustrations and he is real to me.  And it's important to me that you know how much he means to me and to the site, and how much I appreciate the gift you gave the site in your drawings of him.  I cannot (and do not wish to) imagine the site without him, and by proxy, you.

Cody

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2015, 06:31 PM »
I baked a cake for my creator.  I want to thank him for giving me life and giving me a place to call home.
codycolorcakephoto_noframe.png

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2015, 09:33 PM »
Happy Birthday Nudone! (a bit early, I suppose...) Thanks from me also for contributing the mascot.  I still remember the thread where he was born:

https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1093.0

:Thmbsup: