topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684552 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #850 on: September 21, 2016, 03:53 PM »
For me, Windows 10 has by far been the operating system that has been the easiest to have. The easiest to install and the easiest to use - the easiest to "live with". I also think it has been easier for both my laptop and for my PC to run Windows 10, rather than Windows 7 (I have never tried Win 8.).

I recommend getblackbird

I can now say that Win 10 by far also has been the easiest to repair! Something went wrong a couple of weeks ago when an update failed big time. I then downloaded the Media Creation Tool from microsoft and took a deep breath and clicked Run. One hour later everything was just fine.

One program had been removed by the installer, and two others needed to reinstall before working properly. But considering that the reinstallation and updating of Windows 10 was so wonderfully easy and that I still have every file and document, I am simply impressed!

Unfortunately, all the MS culprits are back:

Blackbird does not currently support Redstone builds.
-blackbird 0.9.95 32
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:31 PM by Curt »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #851 on: September 21, 2016, 11:54 PM »
Microsoft rolls out update to remove 'Get Windows 10' app.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Microsoft rolls out update to remove 'Get Windows 10' app

Anyone here still using Win 7?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #852 on: September 22, 2016, 03:16 AM »
Yes, on my work-pc I don't have enough free diskspace to do the upgrade :huh: Think I'll wait until my next system-replacement, next year.
W7 'just works' so as long as it works... And yes, I'm mainly developing software and related tasks on that system 8)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #853 on: September 22, 2016, 09:20 AM »

I had to replace my primary work PC (i7, 32GB RAM) last month because of an intermittent fault on the motherboard. A major consideration in my choice of a replacement was that I could get a system with similar specs on up-to-date hardware with Windows 7 Pro pre-installed instead of Windows 10.

I simply don’t have the time now to spend working around Microsoft’s debugging process for Win 10. When Microsoft gets their act together and things stabilize, I will consider upgrading the OS, but not before.

Many, if not most, large enterprises seem to be taking the same route, which is why the PC makers who sell to them (Lenovo, Dell, HP) all provide the option to get Windows 7 Pro pre-iinstalled on most new business computers through “downgrade rights “ on a Windows 10 Pro license.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #854 on: September 22, 2016, 11:26 AM »
I simply don’t have the time now to spend working around Microsoft’s debugging process for Win 10. When Microsoft gets their act together and things stabilize, I will consider upgrading the OS, but not before.

Yup. Well put. Same here.

According to this article,

Microsoft has been criticised over its Windows 10 software by consumer rights group Which?.

The body said it had received hundreds of complaints about the upgrade, including lost files, emails no longer syncing and broken wi-fi and printing.

In some cases, it said, users had had to pay for their computer to be repaired. (...)

Which? surveyed more than 5,500 of its members in June, and said that 12% of the 2,500 who had upgraded to Windows 10 had later reverted to an earlier version.

It could be that there is something wrong with members of Which?, but still, this was supposed to bring Windows closer to consumers, not to piss them off...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #855 on: September 22, 2016, 12:32 PM »

Isn't that the same as for any organization?  I don't ever remember one of my organizations being on the cutting edge of OS upgrades, ever.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #856 on: September 22, 2016, 01:07 PM »

Isn't that the same as for any organization?  I don't ever remember one of my organizations being on the cutting edge of OS upgrades, ever.

You're right, there are good business reasons not to be early adopters of OS (i.e. not absorbing the cost of being guinea pigs).

But here I was thinking of my personal desktops and laptops, and Which? is also about consumers, rather than businesses.

And ultimately I think MS wanted to pursue a consumer-targeted strategy of spreading Win10 to compete with Apple and Google, among others.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #857 on: September 23, 2016, 11:33 PM »

exjoburger

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #858 on: September 26, 2016, 11:46 AM »

Yes, on most of my home PCs and laptops. My one "excuse" is that my work is on Windows 7 (and they are unlikely to upgrade for some time). I also quite like Win 7.

I only upgraded one computer to Windows 10, an oldish Lenovo Thinkpad which I'd previously updated from Vista to Win 7. It runs horribly slow, but I know that is because of the hardware - and it probably could do with a fresh install.

I'm vaguely tempted to update one of my faster machines (both with i5 processors and enough memory and disk space) to Windows 10, but can't decide between my laptop which I mainly use to sync with my iPhone and manage media, or my Primary Desktop. I have a secondary desktop, but that dual boots between Windows XP and Windows 7, and I really need to move the one or two programs off XP onto Windows 7.

exjoburger

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #859 on: September 26, 2016, 12:54 PM »
Arizona Hot, thanks for the "What to do when you hate Windows 10" link.  :Thmbsup:

I didn't realize that you could no longer easily go back to a previous version of Windows during the first 31 days (From Point 4 of the article). This will make me think twice before upgrading to Windows 10. Fortunately I keep my OS and Data on separate partitions, so the "Nuclear Option" of returning to Windows 7 is easier.

The comments section of the PC World article also makes interesting reading, it seems very few people are totally happy without having to do some workaround with Windows 10.

Is anyone here really happy with vanilla Windows 10?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #860 on: September 26, 2016, 09:04 PM »
I didn't realize that you could no longer easily go back to a previous version of Windows during the first 31 days (From Point 4 of the article). This will make me think twice before upgrading to Windows 10. Fortunately I keep my OS and Data on separate partitions, so the "Nuclear Option" of returning to Windows 7 is easier.

Just to clarify, I believe that's refering to the fact that you are now, (as of this date), more than 31 days past the end of the free upgrade period.  Therefore, if you took them up on the free upgrade at this point you can no longer revert to a previous version because that option no longer exists.

However, if you upgrade now you will have 31 days from now to determine if you want to stay with Windows 10, if you don't then you can revert to the previous OS.  But again, once the 31 days expires that option is removed.

I could be wrong, the info in that point is a bit ambiguous.

Just do a drive image backup before embarking upon the upgrade, then you can always replace Windows 10 with your current OS no matter if the 31 days has expired or not.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #861 on: September 29, 2016, 10:18 PM »
Win 10 Update 09-19-16.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Is Microsoft harder or softer now because of this?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #862 on: October 02, 2016, 06:34 PM »
So, today I had my first real reservations about my choice to upgrade.  Microsoft doesn't really think things through.

They have that anniversary update.  So I tried to set my working hours, and it wouldn't let me give it a window of more than 12 hours, even though I have need of my computer for longer than that.  I got pissed, and figured I'd figure it out when I got back.  And found that it had updated.  They apparently removed the setting where you can set it to not do updates or anything unless you ask.  Then, when it started, it had removed/blocked my displayfusion.  And put up some BS FUD about it might damage my computer.  Do they not even realize that people want control of their computer and how they use it?  Or do they just not care.  I was OK with the auto update stuff when they let me put the control of them asking me when I wanted to do it.  But this isn't cool.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #863 on: October 02, 2016, 07:22 PM »
... and it wouldn't let me give it a window of more than 12 hours, ...

Yeah, annoyed me too but it did say that it will check to see if the computer is being used if outside that 12 hour window.

Then, when it started, it had removed/blocked my displayfusion.  And put up some BS FUD about it might damage my computer.

I didn't get that, DF continued to work without a problem, ClassicShell upgraded itself to cope with the new updates.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 07:35 PM by 4wd »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #864 on: October 02, 2016, 07:26 PM »
However, if you upgrade now you will have 31 days from now to determine if you want to stay with Windows 10, if you don't then you can revert to the previous OS.  But again, once the 31 days expires that option is removed.

A bit more info:
You'll be able to go back to an earlier version by going to Settings > Update & security > Recovery . The time you have to go back depends on what version of Windows 10 your PC is running after the upgrade. For example, if your PC is running Windows 10 Version 1511, you have a month to go back to your previous operating system. If your PC is running Windows 10 Version 1607, you have 10 days to go back. (To see what version of Windows 10 your PC is running after you upgrade, select the Start button, then select Settings > System  > About .

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #865 on: October 02, 2016, 07:40 PM »

Yeah, annoyed me too but it did say that it will check to see if the computer is being used if outside that 12 hour window.

Then, when it started, it had removed/blocked my displayfusion.  And put up some BS FUD about it might damage my computer.

I didn't get that, DF continued to work without a problem, ClassicShell upgraded itself to cope with the new updates.

I was actually able to get it to run.  And the thing that bothered me about the check for activity, is that it takes 90 mins+ to install.  Just because I went upstairs to get coffee, I wouldn't be ready to install.

And they installed skype, and made it front and center.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #866 on: October 04, 2016, 10:19 PM »
I got the dreaded update 14393.222 which I've heard has had lots of reports of breaking things for many people. It all seemed to upgrade without any problems for me. And I've never had a problem with an update breaking/blocking DisplayFusion.

But yes, I was also miffed about not being able to select more than 12 hours as my "active" hours. :down:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #867 on: October 05, 2016, 08:49 AM »
And, apparently there is a problem with a piece of software that I've never had a problem with before.

Rocksmith 2014 has worked fine for me since win 10 came out.  After the update, whenever I exit normally, it kills the video, and doesn't come back.  In order to get out of it, I have to either do a hard reboot, ctrl+alt+del and down arrow and enter to log out, or alt tab instead of exiting, and kill the process (that last one is what I'm going to do if it works).

And I'm not the only one...

https://www.reddit.c...xit_with_windows_10/

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #868 on: October 05, 2016, 09:49 AM »
"Vanilla = having no special or extra features; ordinary or standard"

Is anyone here really happy with vanilla Windows 10?

^You know what, I have NEVER thought of that question before!

Is not half The Meaning Of Life, to look for addons and extensions for your computer? Well, is not the very purpose of DonationCoder's forum to debate, create and refine such applications? Then, Happy us! In such an alienated world, where people suffer from loneliness and isolation: We have an operating system that makes it easy to find someone else with the same problem as we ourselves have. Wow! Hurrah for vanilla Windows 10! It has been making me so many friends from all over the world. Thank you, Microsoft!
 8)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #869 on: October 05, 2016, 10:36 AM »
^ ;D :Thmbsup:
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Windows 10 update - try out Windows Update MiniTool
« Reply #870 on: October 06, 2016, 02:52 AM »
Looking at some of the comments in this thread, I would recommend trying out Windows Update MiniTool - Alternative To Windows Update In Windows 10
It does rather put the user back in the driving seat on the updates front. Seems to be very stable and problem-free - though I'm expecting Microsoft to inject some virulent antibodies to try to "fix" that any day now...   ;)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #871 on: October 12, 2016, 07:44 PM »

I was actually able to get it to run.  And the thing that bothered me about the check for activity, is that it takes 90 mins+ to install.  Just because I went upstairs to get coffee, I wouldn't be ready to install.

And they installed skype, and made it front and center.

And I went upstairs to do some random stuff... and came back downstairs and it had restarted.  I just want active hours to be 8AM to 12AM.  Is that so unreasonable?

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #872 on: October 12, 2016, 09:19 PM »
Win 10 update 10-12-16.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Behold! the latest incarnation of Win 10.

Windows 10 Redstone 2 Build 14946 Hits Fast Ring With Customizable Touchpad Gestures.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Windows 10 Redstone 2 Build 14946 Hits Fast Ring With Customizable Touchpad Gestures
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 04:50 PM by Arizona Hot »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #873 on: October 14, 2016, 06:49 AM »
food for thought...

You could therefore consider Home and Pro users of Windows 10 beta testers as well to a degree. All those systems report back to Microsoft, and the company may use the information to make sure to fix them before they hit the bulk of the company's valuable Enterprise customers.

Are all non-Enterprise Windows 10 users beta testers? - gHacks Tech News

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #874 on: October 15, 2016, 08:39 PM »
When trying to update MediaInfo from 0.7.61 to 0.7.89 today, the update had problems and I had to reinstall the previous version I had. Has anyone here had this problem? 0.7.89 is the latest version and the installer could do both 32-bit and 64-bit installs. I was installing on my 32-bit machine. I tried to install on my 64-bit machine with the installer from SourceForge and had no problems. I downloaded the SourceForge version on my 32-bit machine and it still had problems so I aborted the install, but when I checked the version it said it was the 0.7.89 version and worked fine.

Clipboard01.jpgWindows 10 Announced   Clipboard02.jpgWindows 10 Announced   Clipboard03.jpgWindows 10 Announced
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 09:26 PM by Arizona Hot »