topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 684468 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #200 on: June 01, 2015, 12:04 PM »
Supposedly it is July 29.

I've read that July 29 is the RTM date. But there's a bit of a delay between RTM and when it's officially released to the public.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #201 on: June 01, 2015, 12:14 PM »
But I'll have to decide what their timetable is, and whether if whatever they would call 10.1 with their rolling updates contains any bugfixes that sound really important.

What worries me is that they want to do everything using the Window Update.  That is just too much work if something blows up.  I even had several machines balk at installing ordinary service packs.  Never mind sifting through all the updates to see what to put on and what to leave out.  The descriptions are not very informative.  I feel like I am working for them at no pay when I start reading through all that stuff.  I try to stay away from Windows Update if at all possible.

I'd normally prefer to just install all updates, but I recall some of the stories about how not all of the 8.x updates connected smoothly. Now imagine that with the entire OS involved with lots of updates! You can have say 20 updates that go just fine, then "that one update" hoses everyone or something.

Well, I meant from the perspective of not installing it at all until "10.1", but yes, I am also quite distrustful of their "rolling forever" approach - because let's just suppose it doesn't work, then they change their minds again (!!), and "go back to classic distribution", but in the meanwhile the early adopters become guinea pigs!

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #202 on: June 01, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Windows 10.jpg

Found this notification in my Win 7 icon bar. The end is near!

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #203 on: June 01, 2015, 12:56 PM »
Some places say the upgrade offer is available in the first year after Windows 10 is released.

Edit: The FAQ seems to cover most of these:

https://www.microsof...ndows/windows-10-faq
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 01:56 PM by Jibz »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #204 on: June 01, 2015, 02:47 PM »
Some places say the upgrade offer is available in the first year after Windows 10 is released.

Edit: The FAQ seems to cover most of these:

The FAQ wasn't working for me last night when I clicked the links. I just got an error 404 type message.

But now it is! Oddly, the EN-US version is different from the EN-GB version:

And here's a link with information about the Windows 10 Upgrade:

https://www.microsof...s/windows-10-upgrade

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #205 on: June 01, 2015, 02:50 PM »
Supposedly it is July 29.

I've read that July 29 is the RTM date. But there's a bit of a delay between RTM and when it's officially released to the public.

And yeah, looks like it is July 29, straight from Microsoft's mouth!

Microsoft is making Windows 10 available as free upgrade for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. It will be available starting July 29, 2015; people can reserve their free upgrade today.

You only have until July 29, 2016 to take advantage of this offer. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #206 on: June 01, 2015, 03:14 PM »
One thing I noticed on TenForums was a post about what you lose if you upgrade from W7.  The main item seemed to be Media Center.  If you have a Media Center edition of Windows that upgrades to W10, the Media Center is stripped out.  I don't want to duplicate all the TenForums News articles here so I'll just supply the link if anyone wants to check out the subforum.  Once W10 is released then the forum will switch into problem solving mode.

Windows Ten Forums - News

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #207 on: June 01, 2015, 03:40 PM »
I was just reading about that here:

Feature deprecation section

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
  • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
  • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
  • Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
  • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
  • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.
  • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #208 on: June 01, 2015, 03:50 PM »
  • Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.

Wait what? so if there is an update with issues on your system, you cannot stop it being applied?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #209 on: June 01, 2015, 03:56 PM »
I have seen the offer on Windows 7 - but not on Windows 8.1, where I would actually consider updating...
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2015, 04:04 PM »

Wait what? so if there is an update with issues on your system, you cannot stop it being applied?

Sounds like standard Windows behavior since at least Vista. I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my PC. My wife has Vista Home on her laptop. Her laptop will automatically restart or even resume from sleep/standby to install updates. Mine never install or reboot without my permission.

That said, you can probably configure it so it only installs critical updates automatically and other updates are optional. But I'm just guessing at that. Hopefully critical updates won't cause issues, but rather will resolve them. :D

I have seen the offer on Windows 7 - but not on Windows 8.1, where I would actually consider updating...

Did you install the Windows Update you need for it? See below for info:

You might recall back in April there was a lot of noise about an optional update that Microsoft released to Windows 7 and 8.1 users, KB3035583.

When the folks at MYCE took a closer look at this patch they discovered that it could be used for downloading Windows 10 when it comes to market. There was also code in that update that referred to ads/advertising for the Windows 10 upgrade.

It is very likely that these system notifications are a results of that Windows Update because at least one user in the Reddit thread removed KB3035583 and the notice went away.

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #211 on: June 01, 2015, 04:08 PM »
I'm not entirely sure why I'm so excited for Windows 10. I couldn't get the Technical release to work, VM or otherwise. I have the computer power, and plenty of RAM, so it shouldn't have been an issue. Yet, coming from Microsoft 'July 29th', and free to boot, I feel very anxious with anticipation.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #212 on: June 01, 2015, 04:27 PM »
I was just reading about that here:

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
  • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
  • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
  • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
  • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.
  • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

The data loss is the one thing that isn't really covered in much detail and is the one thing that is being asked the most.  The things on your list Deo...if they are all that will be wiped, don't really matter all that much :P

As a side question...in terms of coding for Windows 10...has much changed?  Can we still use the same processes as in Windows 7/8?  Will we still be allowed to download software from outside the Windows Store?  Will the OS still bullshit people and tell them because you are not installing from a "Verified Publisher" that it was probably a virus...and then deletes the installer for you? (Seriously...that annoys me more than anything else on Windows recently...Having my OWN software blocked by my own OS then being told I am not trusted and probably trying to release viruses...)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #213 on: June 01, 2015, 04:30 PM »
Just noticed this (which you can find from the menu on the top right of the popup thing)

Ready.png

So...I am gonna go ahead and assume it isn't gonna wipe anything.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #214 on: June 01, 2015, 04:33 PM »
I'm not entirely sure why I'm so excited for Windows 10. I couldn't get the Technical release to work, VM or otherwise. I have the computer power, and plenty of RAM, so it shouldn't have been an issue. Yet, coming from Microsoft 'July 29th', and free to boot, I feel very anxious with anticipation.

Yeah, after playing around with Windows RT (which is pretty much Windows 8.1 on ARM, I think) on my Surface, and a bit of the Windows 10 preview, I'm pretty excited about Windows 10 as well. I'm liking it a lot. Though honestly I'm not entirely sure why, because it runs pretty sluggishly on my VM and I haven't bothered to really explore the OS much.

As a side question...in terms of coding for Windows 10...has much changed?  Can we still use the same processes as in Windows 7/8?  Will we still be allowed to download software from outside the Windows Store?  Will the OS still bullshit people and tell them because you are not installing from a "Verified Publisher" that it was probably a virus...and then deletes the installer for you? (Seriously...that annoys me more than anything else on Windows recently...Having my OWN software blocked by my own OS then being told I am not trusted and probably trying to release viruses...)
-Stephen66515 (June 01, 2015, 04:27 PM)

Answering your questions in reverse order:

I've never experienced the OS deleting the installer for me. I've had Chrome hide downloads from me and not tell me how to find them. But not Windows.

In the Windows 10 Technical Preview, I've installed things using the regular .exe/.msi installers. I don't think I've even used the Windows Store in the preview.

As far as coding things go... I've only slightly dabbled in it. I managed to install one of my games on my Windows RT Surface tablet using the Windows 10 Technical Preview (because you need Windows 8.1+ to make Windows Store builds). And the process I had to use to do that was new to me. But I was doing it for A) a Windows RT device and B) Windows Store application. So I don't know if regular .exe builds are affected by this.

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #215 on: June 01, 2015, 04:48 PM »
In the Windows 10 Technical Preview, I've installed things using the regular .exe/.msi installers. I don't think I've even used the Windows Store in the preview.

2nd that. I'm running one system (touchscreen laptop) on 8.1 and one (desktop) on 10 now - I never see the "metro" interface on 10 on desktop. Not even sure it's still there. There's a metro-like start menu (which you'll never see because you'll install "Classic Start Menu") and a few Modernish apps (like "Settings") that you'll need to use every once in a while. By and large the desktop on 10 is indistinguishable from 8.1 and in daily use it's identical. If I had to pick one word to describe the transition from 8.1 to 10 it'd be "uneventful." Which is probably exactly what Microsoft should be shooting for after the mess that was 8.0. Upgrading from 7 to 10 should be easier than from 7 to 8.

That said there are some things that still don't work right, like Cortana, and the People app.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2015, 05:24 PM »
My everyone jumped on that one immediately! I hope everyone is still so excited when they get it installed.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2015, 05:29 PM »
My everyone jumped on that one immediately! I hope everyone is still so excited when they get it installed.

I wouldn't say "Excited" would be the term to describe myself...Cautiously optimistic maybe.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #218 on: June 01, 2015, 06:30 PM »

I wouldn't say "Excited" would be the term to describe myself...Cautiously optimistic maybe.
-Stephen66515 (June 01, 2015, 05:29 PM)

You were certainly interested enough to reply immediately.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #219 on: June 01, 2015, 07:09 PM »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #220 on: June 01, 2015, 07:40 PM »

Maybe you missed the discussion about it that started yesterday?

I just got home and found my computer (Windows 7 x64) had rebooted after a BSOD, and I noticed a Windows logo in the tray which I had never seen before.

I clicked it and got a message about a free upgrade to Windows 10:
 (see attachment in previous post)
Anyone else seeing this?

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #221 on: June 01, 2015, 08:09 PM »

Just popped up on my Win 8.1 box during the day. I went ahead and opted in, I have full image backups. :-)

Hm, may need them. The box popped back up and after digging in it says the AMD Radeon HD 7660D video is "not fully compatible - you'll experience problems with your display."

That is not good. That's the on-motherboard junk that is working well enough for my two monitor system, but I already tried to replace it with an add-in R7750 card and the box just squawked at me. I better look into this again...

vi vi vi - editor of the beast

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #222 on: June 01, 2015, 08:21 PM »

-Stephen66515 (June 01, 2015, 05:29 PM)

It's tech news...I love tech news, so of course I am going to reply to one of the biggest tech news stories of the week.

Just popped up on my Win 8.1 box during the day. I went ahead and opted in, I have full image backups. :-)

Hm, may need them. The box popped back up and after digging in it says the AMD Radeon HD 7660D video is "not fully compatible - you'll experience problems with your display."

That is not good. That's the on-motherboard junk that is working well enough for my two monitor system, but I already tried to replace it with an add-in R7750 card and the box just squawked at me. I better look into this again...

Had a few friends say they have not got the notification on Windows 7 yet, but it popped up for me and my Mrs at the exact same time (Although, both laptops are same make/model/spec/OS/update version - Only difference is software installed).

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #223 on: June 01, 2015, 08:32 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile