topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:22 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 682331 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #225 on: June 01, 2015, 09:56 PM »

Windows 10 pricing If you’re not upgrading, it’ll cost up to $199  Ars Technica

From the above link:
As previously announced, upgrades from Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 are free for the first year of availability.

Gotta love ambiguous statements...Does that mean if you upgrade within a year of release...it's free.......or does it mean tha a year after upgrading I will be stuck paying them however much?

The whole thing is becoming more confusing lol...although, I am 99% sure it is simply free if you upgrade within a year (With no sudden "pay us $X" at the end of it)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #226 on: June 02, 2015, 12:29 AM »
I wonder how software that uses machine IDs in license activation schemes will stop working. Some developers may get a lot of email come July 29th ;D.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #227 on: June 02, 2015, 01:28 AM »
From the above link:
As previously announced, upgrades from Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 are free for the first year of availability.

Gotta love ambiguous statements...Does that mean if you upgrade within a year of release...it's free.......or does it mean tha a year after upgrading I will be stuck paying them however much?

The whole thing is becoming more confusing lol...although, I am 99% sure it is simply free if you upgrade within a year (With no sudden "pay us $X" at the end of it)
-Stephen66515 (June 01, 2015, 09:56 PM)

Stephen, do yourself a favor and read the FAQ by Microsoft. It clears up almost every question you've asked in this thread.

But just because I know you're almost as lazy as I am (:P), the answer is that you don't pay to upgrade after the first year if you've done it within the first year.

It's not that Windows 10 is free for the first year, it's the upgrade that is free for the first year. After that, if you want to upgrade to Windows 10 (because you didn't do it during the first year), you'll have to pay for it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:37 AM by Deozaan »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #228 on: June 02, 2015, 02:25 AM »
Heh so everyone can mark May 1 2016 (or so) on their calendars to be within the upgrade window, and by then more information will be available! And probably at least two minor horror stories! Go Microsoft!

But well before that, it feels like the July 29 release will be pretty bumpy. I'm def interested in the overall evolution of this version of Windows, but MS is kinda known to be rough at the seams with a big OS release.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:31 AM by TaoPhoenix »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #229 on: June 02, 2015, 07:37 AM »
Heh so everyone can mark May 1 2016 (or so) on their calendars to be within the upgrade window

Thanks, have just done that  ;)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #230 on: June 02, 2015, 01:34 PM »
Wasn't Windows 10 supposed to be free?  lol.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #231 on: June 02, 2015, 01:45 PM »

A PlaysForSure music player and a Zune got to talking about Microsoft consistency of marketing...

:)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #232 on: June 02, 2015, 01:48 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much.  Just leave your machine up and connected to the net overnights.  One morning 10 will just be there.  ;)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #233 on: June 02, 2015, 02:25 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much.  Just leave your machine up and connected to the net overnights.  One morning 10 will just be there.  ;)

The hanged start screen  :P

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #234 on: June 03, 2015, 11:57 AM »
Wasn't Windows 10 supposed to be free?  lol.

http://www.techsuppo...g-how-get-rid-it.htm (regarding KB3035583)
# "All About the Windows 10 Upgrade App Including How to Get Rid of it"

Today the update advert ^ was installed on my laptop (and it won't exit), so I gave them my email address, because I expect this to be one way they will leave me in relative peace, until the end of July. The advert specifically said that the upgrade to '10' would only be free for a limited period of time: [advert]*Yes, free. This limited time upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10,[/advert] It will be interesting to see what they actually mean. Also, I am anxious to see how Cortana, the Personal Digital Assistant, will work. If it works like I fear, I will also like to know if it can be killed and buried. Otherwise I may have to learn how to use Linux, Mac or whatever. I am scared of Cortana!

2015-06-03_183908.gif
2015-06-03_183853.gif

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 07:02 PM by Curt, Reason: KB3035583 »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #235 on: June 03, 2015, 12:15 PM »
Today the update advert ^ was installed on my laptop (and it won't exit), so I gave them my email address, because I expect this to be one way they will leave me in relative peace, until the end of July.

Have you tried this? How to block Windows 10 Upgrade notifications in earlier versions of Windows

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #236 on: June 03, 2015, 12:53 PM »
By the way, I am sure PC/hardware manufacturers are thrilled MS is giving people reason to keep their current systems  :P

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #237 on: June 03, 2015, 01:51 PM »
By the way, I am sure PC/hardware manufacturers are thrilled MS is giving people reason to keep their current systems  :P

I'm sure most companies will simply upgrade all their old stock to Windows 10 and try sell it as something new and fantastic to people who don't have a clue :p

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #238 on: June 03, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Also, I am anxious to see how Cortana, the Personal Digital Assistant, will work. If it works like I fear, I will also like to know if it can be killed and buried. Otherwise I may have to learn how to use Linux, Mac or whatever. I am scared of Cortana!

cortana.png

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #239 on: June 03, 2015, 06:57 PM »
By the way, I am sure PC/hardware manufacturers are thrilled MS is giving people reason to keep their current systems
I'm sure most companies will simply upgrade all their old stock to Windows 10 and try sell it as something new and fantastic to people who don't have a clue
-Stephen66515 (June 03, 2015, 01:51 PM)

-that's what 'they' did to me some years ago: "This is a new computer", they said. No, it wasn't, it was an old computer with some updated parts. Unfortunately it took me so loooong time to understand how I was cheated, that the shop no longer existed.

Today the update advert ^ was installed on my laptop (and it won't exit),
Have you tried this? How to block Windows 10 Upgrade notifications in earlier versions of Windows

I have followed this instruction:

Wasn't Windows 10 supposed to be free?
http://www.techsuppo...g-how-get-rid-it.htm (regarding KB3035583) "All About the Windows 10 Upgrade App Including How to Get Rid of it"

Uninstall KB3035583. The next time Windows Update will promote KB3035583, just hide it.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #240 on: June 03, 2015, 06:59 PM »
^^ hehe, you scary girl !  :-*

cortana.png
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 03:21 AM by Curt »

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #242 on: June 04, 2015, 06:50 PM »
Just been reading (and now can't find the link) something about Minecraft coming free with Windows 10 - Anybody else heard this?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #243 on: June 04, 2015, 06:59 PM »
Just been reading (and now can't find the link) something about Minecraft coming free with Windows 10 - Anybody else heard this?
-Stephen66515 (June 04, 2015, 06:50 PM)

I have only heard rumors of mines coming with it.  :P

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #244 on: June 05, 2015, 01:21 AM »
An exasperating aspect of the Windows OSes is that they may include features that seem to be a designer's idea of "what we are going to like" (or more often, "what the marketing people say we are gong to be obliged to accept, whether we actually like it or not") - for example, a case in point being all the redundant Metro/Win8 interface rubbish - fortunately mostly easily fixed by installing The Classic Shell and disabling most of the useless/redundant aspects of the interface.

We aren't really given much option with these force-fed but potentially unwanted/unneeded features, which sometimes/often appear to pay scant regard to ergonomics, and be all about so-called "new interface standards" or "modern tools" that we are going to be given for our own good. (Thus putting the many perfectly adequate "old tools" in a pejorative light as being "outmoded".)

So it really is a pleasure for me when I come across an example of some real effort being made by Microsoft to ensure that ergonomics may be - albeit belatedly - coming to the forefront in the OS' interface design criteria.
Here is a really heartening example, relating to Win10:
Snap Assist (extracted from Arrange your Windows in a Snap
One of the most popular Aero Snap features in Windows 7 is the ability to drag windows to the left or right edges of the screen to resize them to half the screen. This allows you to choose any two windows and easily snap them side-by-side—a very handy feature when drafting an email or comparison shopping, for example.

When arranging two windows side-by-side, we noticed in practice that this scenario frequently involved snapping the first window and then spending time wading through other windows on screen to find the second one to drag and snap. This insight lead us to ask: instead of making you hunt for the second window to snap, why not present a list of recently used windows up front? This is the fundamental idea behind Snap Assist in Windows 10.

Snap Assist significantly speeds up the process of snapping two windows side-by-side by offering you a choice of windows to snap. Through our Windows Insider Program, we’ve seen that 90% of the time, users have chosen to take advantage of this improvement and pick the second app directly from Snap Assist rather than hunting for it manually. Snap Assist also has a number of related benefits. For example, just like Task View, it makes it easier to use the desktop with touch and comes in handy as part of Continuum.

I found it heartening, for the reasons given above, but I also found it depressingly obtuse, because the quote above illustrates a mentality that is so far behind the times as to be apparently ignorant of users' needs. Depressingly, it has apparently taken the designers several years to realise that users actually might want to "choose any two windows and easily snap them side-by-side — a very handy feature...", and even more depressingly that they give as an example "... when drafting an email or comparison shopping". I'm almost (but not actually) surprised that they didn't write something like "when comparing a Pinterest post with a Facebook post" - or something equally facile.

The requirement to do such a side-by-side comparison predates Aero Snap in Win7 by several years, originating in early Windows stone age OS limitations. For example, I recall using a free ZDNet proggy in Win3.1 (I think it was) that conveniently popped up 2 Windows Explorer windows, stuck together side-by-side, because, well, a lot of people really needed to be able to do that, and it was a darn sight easier to use the freeware proggy than open two separate Windows Explorer instances and try to juggle their two windows side-by-side and keep the two windows ON TOP at the same time. Sheesh.

Even worse, the article says "For example, just like Task View, it makes it easier to use the desktop with touch and comes in handy as part of Continuum." The implication being that designers may have been still oblivious to the gaping need on the Desktop until they perceived an ergonomic dysfunction vis-à-vis the new technology touch screens and the new "Continuum" product.

Anyway, on a more positive note, I am very pleased that some awareness of real user needs for good ergonomics seems to be permeating the conciousness of designers. It's a veritable milestone. I am incredibly excited at the prospect of being more easily able to compare my fav Pinterest posts with my fav Facebook posts, or something.    ;)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #245 on: June 05, 2015, 01:27 AM »
IainB: Do you write for a magazine, newspaper, website, or blog?  I ask because you ALWAYS post huge walls of text (I'm not bitching here) that contain huge amounts of information...and I feel like you should be writing for $$$ lol

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #246 on: June 05, 2015, 01:37 AM »
IainB: Do you write for a magazine, newspaper, website, or blog?  I ask because you ALWAYS post huge walls of text (I'm not bitching here) that contain huge amounts of information...and I feel like you should be writing for $$$ lol
-Stephen66515 (June 05, 2015, 01:27 AM)

Done!
From Mouser's little idea from a while ago, I just gave him $2 in CodyBucks! Because underneath "huge walls of text" is ... thoroughness ... which matters when a "secure data service" threatens to nuke your data on day 96 if you don't "log in and look at it".

ayryq

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2015, 06:56 AM »

The requirement to do such a side-by-side comparison predates Aero Snap in Win7 by several years, originating in early Windows stone age OS limitations. For example, I recall using a free ZDNet proggy in Win3.1 (I think it was) that conveniently popped up 2 Windows Explorer windows, stuck together side-by-side, because, well, a lot of people really needed to be able to do that, and it was a darn sight easier to use the freeware proggy than open two separate Windows Explorer instances and try to juggle their two windows side-by-side and keep the two windows ON TOP at the same time. Sheesh.

There are two new features that are really nice with Aero Snap in Windows 10: the aforementioned side-by-side "helper," (which I cancelled most of the time, making me part of "the 10%" in the article cited, I guess) and also, windows can now snap to corners—they take up ¼ of the screen in this mode. In fact, I went almost a whole day before I installed WinSplit Revolution on my PC  ;)

Before I used Compiz Grid (which was based upon WinSplit), I used a small utility that "snapped" windows to one another, and to the screen edge. Pretty handy.

Also, didn't Windows 95 introduce "Tile" mode to put windows side-by-side?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 07:33 AM by ayryq »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #248 on: June 05, 2015, 09:01 AM »
@Stephen66515: Nice of you to notice. All donations/contributions/credits gratefully accepted. Thankyou in anticipation.
In answer to your query:
  • My notes: Actually, I tend to write notes about things because I have trained myself to do that to focus my concentration on what I am involved in or doing, and because that is when and how I do most of my recording of events and thinking - that is, when I am writing and trying to articulate some meaning. The notes are useful because I can't remember everything that I do or think, so the notes act as an aide memoire. My intention is to articulate and communicate useful information and sense (rational meaning) so that I or others would be able to read it later and make some use of it, and perhaps gain from it.

• Payment for writing: I effectively get paid for my writing in those cases when my notes are included in a report for a client about a complex problem resolution, or something - where it is important that everything that needs to be mentioned is adequately dealt with in a rational, thorough and objective manner (no opinions).

• Level of detail: When I keep the notes to myself they are usually in abbreviated form, and others may never see them. However, when I put them into a report, or blog or forum in an attempt to make a useful contribution, then I will expand them and write in much more precise and factual terms that are self-contained and (hopefully) lucid. Any references I give help towards that end, and are usually already in my abbreviated notes.

@TaoPhoenix: Sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

@ayryq: Thanks for all the links - interesting, and could be useful. Not sure about Win95 functionality - I think I might have skipped using that one, or only used it for a short while.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2015, 04:20 PM »
http://www.kitguru.n...u-will-get-for-free/

So Windows 10 is on the way and those of you who own a genuine license for either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 will be getting the free upgrade on the 29th of July. However, Microsoft had not fully detailed exactly which version of the operating system you would be upgrading to until now.

On a new Windows 10 question and answer page, Microsoft tried to answer quite a few common questions about the upcoming upgrade, including details on exactly which version of Windows 10 users will be receiving, as there are quite a few, which we have reported on previously.

(Q&A Page from M$): https://www.microsof...ndows/windows-10-faq