topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: R.I.P. Robin Williams  (Read 12979 times)

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
R.I.P. Robin Williams
« on: August 11, 2014, 06:44 PM »
You can find the news all over the 'net.  I didn't post a link 'cause there's too many to choose from. 
Another one gone...  :(

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: R.I.P. Robin Williams
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:03 PM »
One of the few genuinely funny comedians. And even better in his serious roles.

Vaya con Dios Robin. :(

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 08:12 PM »
Holy Crap!

One of the few genuinely funny comedians. And even better in his serious roles.

+10

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 08:40 PM »
"Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed, life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor" He says, "I am Pagliacci."

It's always weird to read that some comedian is suffering from depression. It's little understood that those most likely to reach for laughs are those most in need of them. Robin Williams had apparently been on the wagon for 20 years, but recently relapsed. Apparently, life was not very amusing. And now, our world is a little less funny.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Insightful, but deeply disturbing:

“I used to think the worst thing in life is to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone.”
― Robin Williams

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 09:27 PM »
RIP

Genius comic

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 11:12 PM »
I love Robin Williams.  Really added a lot of memorable moments to my childhood.

When I heard the news, the first thing that came to my mind (weirdly enough) was the Louie episode from season 3 (episode 6).  Louie and Robin Williams find themselves together at the grave of an acquaintance, and they have a very interesting time and discussion together.  In the end, they agree to attend the funeral of whoever dies first.  pretty eerie.

Here's part of it:

but I'm going to go back watch the whole thing.

Robin Williams.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:12 AM by superboyac »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 07:24 AM »
 :(

A great actor

RIP

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 08:00 AM »
When I heard the news, the first thing that came to my mind (weirdly enough) was the Louie episode from season 3 (episode 6).  Louie and Robin Williams find themselves together at the grave of an acquaintance, and they have a very interesting time and discussion together.  In the end, they agree to attend the funeral of whoever dies first.  pretty eerie.

Here's part of it:
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=E1OJ3ifG0xA

Just found a more complete version of that :up:

Tom

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 08:01 AM »
Mork and Mindy... life is so short.

May he rest in peace.

A truly sad moment in a time when people are looking for reasons to live.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 09:34 AM »
I wasn't a huge fan of Robin Williams -- though I do acknowledge his unique contributions to comedy.

This was helpful for me in understanding the deep connection many felt towards him: http://www.slate.com...ew_that_changed.html

That article links to a nice hour long interview with Williams.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 11:23 AM »
I haven't been able to find the video.  But I remember on a Dick Cavett show Cavett and Robin Williams were standing directly in front of the audience improvising.  I think Cavett's first comment was his last.  Williams came out with so many oblique references so quickly that by the time Cavett started to move his lips to get a quip in it was moot since the subject had already been changed twice.  Finally Cavett just closed his mouth and turned purple.  It was like Dick Cavett was the lawn and Williams mowed him and bagged the clippings before Cavett could get a line out.  It was uncomfortable to watch.
But I guess competition among comics is tough.  When you get the floor you filibuster.

He surprised me in Good Will Hunting.  He made that part of the plot work.  It's always a bit weird when I watch that flick since it has a couple of exterior shots right outside the room where I lived in South Boston.  But I moved out 5 years before they made the film.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 12:22 PM »
He surprised me in Good Will Hunting.  He made that part of the plot work.  It's always a bit weird when I watch that flick since it has a couple of exterior shots right outside the room where I lived in South Boston.  But I moved out 5 years before they made the film.

He was also great as a serial killer in One Hour Photo, and he was brilliant in What Dreams May Come.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 12:45 PM »
I don't think I saw either of those flicks.  I'll watch if I get a chance.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 12:46 PM »
He was also great as a serial killer in One Hour Photo

That was during the time when he was really letting the dark side out.

Insomnia

One Hour Photo

Death to Smoochy

One wonders about the year 2002 for him...

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 12:54 PM »
Disney posted this on the subject matter.

For those who don't recognize what this is, it is the lamp from Aladdin, where Robin Williams had played the genie.

When that movie came out I actually hated it. At the time I didn't understand the genie's humor at all.

It wasn't till years later I finally began to appreciate Robin Williams humor, going back to rewatch movies he had been in now that I finally understood his role.

Flubber as well. If I had to pick a movie he was in that was my favorite, that would be it. I've yet to see Bicentennial man, though I read a fair amount of Asimov and probably would get the connections from it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 12:55 PM »
I remember Death To Smoochy.  That was really bizarre.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 07:35 PM »
A recollection from Dana Gould:

Two years ago, I was performing at The Punchline in San Francisco, and Robin came to the show with our mutual friend, Dan Spencer.

This particular batch of material was the first time I had touched upon my then still-fresh divorce wounds, and big chunks of it were pretty dark. The next day, I got a text from a number I didn’t recognize. Whoever it was had obviously been to the show and knew my number, so I figured they would reveal themselves at some point and save me the embarrassment of asking who they were.

The Mystery Texter asked how I was REALLY doing. “You can’t fool me. Some of those ‘jokes’ aren’t ‘jokes.” By now I knew that whoever this was had been through what I was enduring, as no one else would know to ask, “What time of day is the hardest?”

He wanted to know how my kids were handling it, all the while assuring me that the storm, as bleak as it was, would one day pass and that I was not, as I was then convinced, a terrible father for visiting a broken home upon my children.

I am not rewriting this story in retrospect to make it dramatic. I did not know who I was texting with. Finally, my phone blipped, and I saw, in a little green square, “Okay, pal. You got my number. Call me. I’ve been there. You’re going to be okay. – Robin.”

That is what you call a human being.

I'm usually not hit much by celebrity deaths.  This one really hit me.  And these little stories... make it hit me all the more.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 03:28 PM »
Statement from Robin Williams' wife:

http://talkingpoints...s-parkinsons-disease

Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.

Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.

Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 04:42 PM »
Great Obit by Russell Brand

http://www.theguardi...madness-broken-world

Is it melancholy to think that a world that Robin Williams can’t live in must be broken? To tie this sad event to the overarching misery of our times? No academic would co-sign a theory in which the tumult of our fractured and unhappy planet is causing the inherently hilarious to end their lives, though I did read that suicide among the middle-aged increased inexplicably in 1999 and has been rising ever since. Is it a condition of our era?

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 07:26 PM »
Great Obit by Russell Brand

http://www.theguardi...madness-broken-world

Is it melancholy to think that a world that Robin Williams can’t live in must be broken? To tie this sad event to the overarching misery of our times? No academic would co-sign a theory in which the tumult of our fractured and unhappy planet is causing the inherently hilarious to end their lives, though I did read that suicide among the middle-aged increased inexplicably in 1999 and has been rising ever since. Is it a condition of our era?

Russel Brand never ceases to amaze me...I used to think "Wow...just another drug crazed 'funny man'" and yet, his insightful and intellectual comments make me realize that I was a complete asshole for judging a book by its cover.

On the main note:  Robin touched many generations and was an amazing actor and comedian and will be sadly missed by a LOT of people.

Rest in Peace dude, and I hope you are up there making all our lost loved ones laugh.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 12:24 AM »
Bizarre coincidence - Family Guy episode that aired while the news broke had Robin Williams in it committing suicide.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker