topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Interesting "stuff"  (Read 1189274 times)

Prince1458

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Interesting "stuff"
« Reply #250 on: July 08, 2014, 04:02 AM »

The iPhone's Fingerprint Sensor Has Already Been Hacked

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  -_- are you kidding me -_-
i'm selling my phone 

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #251 on: July 08, 2014, 09:35 AM »
(see attachment in previous post)
How the NSA Could Bug Your Powered-Off iPhone, and How to Stop Them  Threat Level  WIRED
How many of you national security threats here need something like this?
I always thought that physically disconnecting an electrical device from its power source was an effective and certain way of "switching it off". If that is true, then what's wrong with simply removing the battery from the iphone?
And if it is a handheld two-way radio communications device, then wrapping it in tinfoil might be as good as or a better way of isolating it than shutting it in the fridge - and less likely to cause harm to it from condensation.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #252 on: July 08, 2014, 09:50 AM »
Weren't iPhones not phones where you cannot replace the battery? That implies there is no option to remove the battery...an aesthetically pleasing listening device according to the owners...whoever that may be.  :huh:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #253 on: July 08, 2014, 11:08 AM »
what's wrong with simply removing the battery from the iphone?

iphone.png

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #254 on: July 08, 2014, 11:34 AM »
Ahaha! Not being particularly interested in iphones, I had not realised that they were effectively unserviceable.
 Is that really true?     :tellme:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #255 on: July 08, 2014, 11:44 AM »

Ahaha! Not being particularly interested in iphones, I had not realised that they were effectively unserviceable.

Is that really true?     :tellme

Judge for yourself. Not unserviceable per se. But what a PITA! And needing a proprietary (i.e. TS1-Pentalobe) screwdriver to open some models...seriously?  :huh: :-\

(Note: the iP4s are considerably easier to work on than the 3 series was.)

I could almost completely assemble a small server in the same amount of time - and only require a single standard #2 Phillips screwdriver to do it. 8)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:12 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #256 on: July 08, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Having gone through several iphones between myself, my wife, and my son... I haven't had a reason to replace the battery in any of them, unlike my other phones.  So there is that...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #257 on: July 08, 2014, 12:28 PM »
Having gone through several iphones between myself, my wife, and my son... I haven't had a reason to replace the battery in any of them, unlike my other phones.  So there is that...

My experience is you get about 3 years out of them under fairly heavy use (at least the 3 & 4s) before the battery starts to have trouble holding a charge. And though I can't speak for everyone, I have yet to get through a full and busy workday without needing to plug my iPhone in sometime in the course of the day. And that's even when it's brand new. But this is probably another one of those YMMV situations.

My GF handles it with her usual "don't screw with me" approach. She refuses to service any of her consumer-level technology. The minute her iPhone starts acting up, she trades it in for a new one. Her feeling is a smartphone is too important a factor in her daily routine to bother fooling around with an unreliable unit.

(Note: as an iPhone user I land somewhere between The Hacker and the Whiner in the spectrum of iPhone owners.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:34 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #258 on: July 08, 2014, 01:00 PM »
Having gone through several iphones between myself, my wife, and my son... I haven't had a reason to replace the battery in any of them, unlike my other phones.  So there is that...

My experience is you get about 3 years out of them under fairly heavy use (at least the 3 & 4s) before the battery starts to have trouble holding a charge. And though I can't speak for everyone, I have yet to get through a full and busy workday without needing to plug my iPhone in sometime in the course of the day. And that's even when it's brand new. But this is probably another one of those YMMV situations.
Probably.  On my personal one right now, I leave it off for a couple of days unless I'm heavily using it, and by the end of the third day or so, it's about 30-40%.  But then again, I don't make calls all that often.

My GF handles it with her usual "don't screw with me" approach. She refuses to service any of her consumer-level technology. The minute her iPhone starts acting up, she trades it in for a new one. Her feeling is a smartphone is too important a factor in her daily routine to bother fooling around with an unreliable unit.
I'm not quite that bad, but I'm definitely at the I don't want to screw with my phone level- when I want to make a call, it needs to just work.

(Note: as an iPhone user I land somewhere between The Hacker and the Whiner in the spectrum of iPhone owners.)

Interesting article!  I don't really fall in any of those areas, though.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #259 on: July 08, 2014, 02:40 PM »
Having gone through several iphones between myself, my wife, and my son... I haven't had a reason to replace the battery in any of them, unlike my other phones.  So there is that...

Well yeah, even brand new I was told too that on a heavy busy day you'll crush the battery charge. My mobile dating app will rip apart the charge in some five hours flat.

I think I'm going on year 4+ with my 3GS, carefully picked as a "watchful medium late adopter" as the sweet spot of the time to be the first version they intended to actually support for a while. Except for that app I also have very little critical data (remind me to spend a day typing what little I have onto my comp). Although they like to talk, an AT&T rep told me it's the constant pulling of updates that tends to grind down the battery capacity. But since I have very little actually hooked to my phone, the rep said I was getting great life usage out of the older phone.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #260 on: July 08, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Interesting article!  I don't really fall in any of those areas, though.

Hmm, I didn't find the article interesting at all because it also totally misses my use case. (Heh Reverse-Whine!)

I used to hate cell phones back when they were just bricks and Mom made me carry one in the car "for emergencies". I tried an HTC with Win Phone 6, but it was really unintuitive compared to I was expecting at least a minimal imitation of Windows. (Jeez, all I wanted was a mini desktop and folders and to type some text files and use mobile versions of some famous desktop apps! But it didn't really work that way for reasons that bothered me and now don't matter.)

After a colleague at my old job again recommended an iPhone, I did take it a bit more seriously, waited and read up a bit, and spent a bit more to get the 3GS (instead of the now significantly importantly weaker 3G - I recall a few times seeing the 3GS was the lowest model still supported for various things.)

But again getting grumpy that it "refuses" to deal with a "desktop, folders and files", I now absolutely believe there is "no computing power" in it - only some hardware that happens to run various apps. So I use the dating one a lot, and the rest are just "cute useful utilities" that make the phone worth carrying (besides the concept of mobile calling itself). But the minute I want to get serious it has to be on a real desktop comp.

(Another sidebar - I used to have a second weak comp I called "Netscreen" that I used for all the raw experimentation, and kept my project comp conceptually clean as a whistle, but then I got lazy somewhere along the way and just did it all on this one comp. And in the light of the death of XP, time has marched on anyway and *maybe* this one can run Win 9 (if I ever get someone to set up a dual boot test for me), but that old one absolutely can't. *

)    xkcd's Missing Parentheses!
http://xkcd.com/859/

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #261 on: July 08, 2014, 03:06 PM »
One phrase I remember from my brother is "If you can hear the scream of the butterfly, you are truly weird". This video shows the source of that line.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #262 on: July 08, 2014, 03:15 PM »
While researching the possible use of the name Rape-punzel, I found this nest of movie universe articles.

Rape-punzel.jpg

30 Disney Movies That Share A World
Posted on 25th August, 2013 by Joshubuh
Are all Disney movies connected?
Walt Disney’s films are littered with so many references and connections I was surprised I was the first to try mapping them in one unified Disney world.
I’ve stuck to major Disney movies and sequels, but I do appreciate the Disney Channel/XD/Junior cross-overs that many people have pointed out in the comments.
Also, because Jon Negroni did such a fantastic job with The Pixar Theory I’ve resist the urge to include connections between the Disney and Pixar worlds.
To see how Frozen fits in to the unified Disneyverse, read: The Frozen Theory.
I hope you enjoy my Disney experience…

Theory: 30 of Disney's Animated Features Take Place in the Same World

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:47 PM by Arizona Hot »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #265 on: July 08, 2014, 07:18 PM »
That's a really complicated video and I've seen the movies 3 times (except #2) and a chunk of new Dr. Who and I still only got 30% of it!!

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #266 on: July 09, 2014, 02:40 PM »
Android Data Wipe Leaves Personal Data
Factory reset tool on Android smartphones does not remove all photos, emails, chats, and other personal data, says security firm.

Android Data Wipe Leaves Personal Data - InformationWeek

Has anyone here sold an old cellphone recently?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:51 PM by Arizona Hot »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #267 on: July 09, 2014, 02:48 PM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #268 on: July 10, 2014, 02:20 PM »
I saw the Update shield on my WinXP machine this morning, and it was real. It seems Microsoft is not done with XP yet. This seems to be related to the Adobe Flash exploit in the news now.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #269 on: July 13, 2014, 02:22 AM »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #270 on: July 16, 2014, 09:16 PM »

I'm still waiting for "Tacky" to show up on Youtube.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #271 on: July 17, 2014, 10:56 PM »

Pet Cats to Get Food From Robots Using Facial Recognition Technology

from aGupieWare Blog

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #272 on: July 17, 2014, 11:13 PM »

I'm still waiting for "Tacky" to show up on Youtube.

That was awesome!
"Irony is not coincidence" <--- that one line just made my entire week.  Year.  Decade.  Do you know the frustration of trying to explain how Alanis Morrisette's catchy but !@#$%& WRONG song about irony is like, totally, absolutely wrong in it's definition of the word? 

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #273 on: July 18, 2014, 07:09 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.../Irony#Irony_misused

I also enjoyed:

Tim Conley cites the following: "Philip Howard assembled a list of seven implied meanings for the word "ironically", as it opens a sentence:

By a tragic coincidence
    By an exceptional coincidence
    By a coincidence of no importance
    You and I know, of course, though other less intelligent mortals walk benighted under the midday sun
    Oddly enough, or it's a rum thing that
    Oh hell! I've run out of words to start a sentence with."[64]

Ironically, I'll have to read the rest of the page to find out how to use the word 'ironically' properly :D :P
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #274 on: July 18, 2014, 08:54 PM »
^Like that ironically ironic example he employed:

You and I know, of course, though other less intelligent mortals walk benighted under the midday sun
    Oddly enough, or it's a rum thing that
    Oh hell! I've run out of words to start a sentence with."

;D