topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Movies you've seen lately  (Read 545561 times)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movies or films you've seen lately
« Reply #475 on: February 06, 2015, 05:32 AM »
Not a movie but a TV series:

"There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to – The Outer Limits."

Working my way through the original 1963 series:

TheOuterLimits-Screenshot-old.jpg

Ah, the good old days :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #476 on: February 06, 2015, 05:42 AM »
Ah, the good old days

Heh.  For some reason I hated TOL when it first aired.  I guess I was put off by the control tripper intro.  :)  Later I appreciated the camp value of the low budget scifi.  It did have some good stories though.  I think I used to get bubble gum cards of something with TOL.  Or stickers.  I can't remember.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #477 on: February 09, 2015, 01:15 PM »
I'm studying animation right now, and stumbled across this.  I love the look, so good.  It kind of stopped me in my tracks for a sec, so I figured it was damn good enough to post!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #478 on: February 09, 2015, 07:51 PM »
@SB! I really really like the look of that animation. Almost a noir vibe don't you think? Did they rotoscope it? Or are they working off 3D models? (It looks rotoscoped.)

Great music too! :Thmbsup:  :Thmbsup:

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #479 on: February 09, 2015, 09:57 PM »
The Little Death - Funny movie that is enjoyable for the music alone. But if you are blessed with the type mind that is a joy forever...you will more than like the story as well. There is a whole plethora of relationship styles being shown in this one...that's for sure.  :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #480 on: February 10, 2015, 05:41 AM »
Working my way through the original 1963 series:

(see attachment in previous post)

Ah, the good old days :)

Heh! I did the entire series about 2 years ago. It's still an excellent series! Don't forget the new series as well. It's also quite enjoyable!  :Thmbsup:

I also did the Twilight Zone -- both the original and new series.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #481 on: February 10, 2015, 08:49 AM »
I also did the Twilight Zone

I thought both Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents packed more punch in the 1/2 hour format.  Hitchcock is the only show I can think of where I actually want to watch the original commercials when watching the show.  He often had clever comments that wouldn't make sense without them.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #482 on: February 10, 2015, 09:03 AM »
There was also Boris Karloff's TV series Thriller and the Alcoa Aluminum sponsored One Step Beyond that were similarly themed and quite good - although Karloffs sardonic intros, and Hitchcock's dry wit and backhanded swipes at "The Sponsors," added an appreciated humorous touch that the others lacked.

Thriller_Title.png   onestep.jpg

They're both out on DVD! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:13 AM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #483 on: February 10, 2015, 10:00 AM »
They're both out on DVD! :Thmbsup:

One Step Beyond seems to have 3 seeders on TPB. ;) :P

Not so much luck for Thriller though. :(

The Alcoa thing is interesting though... They have quite a history.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #484 on: February 10, 2015, 11:33 AM »
One Step Beyond

My favorite episode of OSB was the one where John Newland had a researcher who was investigating the effects of a special mushroom found in the rain forest.  The guy gives Newland a mushroom and hits him with a strobe light and if I remember rightly, a hypnotic wheel.  You could tell Newland was really flying high.  I guess the TV networks weren't uptight about it because they didn't know what it was back then.  And the researcher likely had a PHD.  :)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 11:42 AM by MilesAhead »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #485 on: February 10, 2015, 12:03 PM »
@SB! I really really like the look of that animation. Almost a noir vibe don't you think? Did they rotoscope it? Or are they working off 3D models? (It looks rotoscoped.)

Great music too! :Thmbsup:  :Thmbsup:

The movement seems too off for rotoscoping to me. I think it's just cell-shaded 3D models from Poser or something like that.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #486 on: February 10, 2015, 12:32 PM »
I think it's just cell-shaded 3D models from Poser or something like that.

Thx. Learn something new every day. :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #487 on: February 10, 2015, 12:55 PM »

It should be noted that I am not certain about how the video was made. I was just sharing my opinion based on what I saw. My conclusions could be wrong. :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 04:35 PM by Deozaan »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #488 on: February 10, 2015, 01:35 PM »
^That's fine. You were just offering your opinion. Though after looking at some cell-shaded examples, I suspect you're right. :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #489 on: February 10, 2015, 08:25 PM »

I've been looking at the tools available now.  I also think it's not rotoscoping.  But it's not just 3D either.  I may be wrong, but the most efficient (cheap) way to do this now is the rig a character in your choice of software, and then use motion capture for the joints/movements.  The movements are too realistic for me to believe an indie person did it without motion capture.  Otherwise, I'm VERY impressed.

[edit] You know...I think it is Poser, actually!  Those parts where he shows the characters changing shows that he has a way of just substituting models/clothes easily...and Poser is the only one that does that out of the box, I believe.  but the guy is a pro, he might have access to some custom software.  Still, it does remind me a lot about Poser.  Damn, if that's true, Poser is awesome!!  Hmm...Poser with motion capture, that's a lot of bang for the buck.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:32 PM by superboyac »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #490 on: February 10, 2015, 08:37 PM »
Damn, if that's true, Poser is awesome!!

Just googled it. There are several motion cap apps that work with Poser apparently. Some are very inexpensive considering, Uh-oh! ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #491 on: February 10, 2015, 09:00 PM »
Back on topic...just rewatched the 1941 masterpiece Citizen Kane recently. Orson Wells at his finest moment. Lives up to all that's been said about it. Recommended :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:20 PM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #492 on: February 11, 2015, 09:40 AM »
I'd never seen a "One Step Beyond" episode before this evening.

The first episode? Pretty darn cool.

Spooky?
http://en.wikipedia....e_Wreck_of_the_Titan

Actually, if you know a bit about the history there, it sounds planned. Much worse than just "spooky".

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #493 on: February 11, 2015, 10:45 AM »

I really liked OSB and sprung to get it on DVD along with a multi-disk Hitchcock TV collection.

The short story format was definitely experiencing a Golden Age between the late 40s and early 60s. Especially in the scifi, mystery, and horror genres. Some of the finest writing those genres ever produced got penned during that era. All the biggies (Asimov, Ray Bradbury (who was probably the best), Bob Heinlein, Harlan Ellison, Sam Delaney, "Doc" Smith, Ellory Queen, Rex Stout, et al were all busy cranking out these fantastic short stories. So it was only natural that TV shows like OSB, Thriller, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, (and the much later Night Gallery) would benefit from their existence. These were stories written by actual writers rather than just some backroom network hack screenwriter - with the utterly brilliant Rod Serling being the notable exception.

A lot of times, these old shows we remember so fondly disappoint us once we get to rewatch them. (Hindsight may be 20-20 - but it also has a habit of looking at what's "fondly remembered from the past" through rose-tinted glasses just the same.) So I was really happy to discover these old shows held up rather well for me. There may have been one or two episodes in each I didn't really care for because of the subject or a particular actor. But they were all nicely written and produced. And still entertaining. Which is more than I can say about some movies I bought which I remembered enjoying at one time.

(OMG! I can't believe I ever thought Ben-Hur was a good picture! ;D)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #494 on: February 11, 2015, 10:59 PM »
I always liked The Evil Touchw presented by Anthony Quayle - too bad it only had one season  :(

Episode 1 "The Lake":

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #495 on: February 12, 2015, 08:06 AM »
Twelve O'Clock High (1949) with Gregory Peck as Gen. Frank Savage.

12o.jpg

In this story of the early days of daylight bombing raids over Nazi Germany, General Frank Savage must take command of a "hard luck" bomber group. Much of the story deals with his struggle to whip his group into a disciplined fighting unit in spite of heavy losses, and withering attacks by German fighters over their targets. Actual combat footage is used in this tense war drama.

Classic WWII military "bomber buddies" coming of age tale that's unusual in that it raises the issue of the fundamental insanity of warfare without getting either rah-rah patriotic or surreal about it. (Like the brilliant Catch-22 did.) One of the few military movies from the period that openly recognized what war can do to an individual's mind after a while.

A "good old-fashioned" yet somehow very modern-feeling war movie, populated with all the usual characters. All presented in a short 132 minutes worth of glorious B&W! Who could ever ask for more?

Well worth a viewing. :Thmbsup:

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #496 on: February 12, 2015, 10:44 AM »
Predestination.

Loved ethan hawke and sarah snook in it and the story, cool.  :up:

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #497 on: February 12, 2015, 02:36 PM »

I really liked OSB and sprung to get it on DVD along with a multi-disk Hitchcock TV collection.

The short story format was definitely experiencing a Golden Age between the late 40s and early 60s. Especially in the scifi, mystery, and horror genres. Some of the finest writing those genres ever produced got penned during that era. All the biggies (Asimov, Ray Bradbury (who was probably the best), Bob Heinlein, Harlan Ellison, Sam Delaney, "Doc" Smith, Ellory Queen, Rex Stout, et al were all busy cranking out these fantastic short stories. So it was only natural that TV shows like OSB, Thriller, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, (and the much later Night Gallery) would benefit from their existence. These were stories written by actual writers rather than just some backroom network hack screenwriter - with the utterly brilliant Rod Serling being the notable exception.

I think that's why The Twilight Zone holds up better for me than any of the other anthology shows. He wasn't necessarily a great wordsmith, but he had the soul of a storyteller and knew great writing when he read it. If nothing else, he deserves credit for bringing Richard Matheson's work into the mainstream and helping launch Richard Donner's career.

I didn't even realize how much a fan I was of Matheson's work until about 15 years ago. Besides all the Twilight Zone episodes, like Terror at 20,000 Feet and Little Girl Lost, he wrote The Night Strangler (the second TV movie preceding Kolchak: The Night Stalker), Duel, the Star Trek episode The Enemy Within, where he invented the alternate universe goatee, and Trilogy of Terror. Second to my father, who introduced me to all that at a young age, Matheson deserves the most credit/blame for how I turned out. That's without even getting into all his movies, the ones based on his stories, or the numerous authors he inspired.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #498 on: February 12, 2015, 02:57 PM »
^I'd add Thomas Ligotti and Poppy Z. Brite in with Matheson as well. Brilliant - utterly brilliant storytellers both. And, with Matheson, are some of the very few that can instil that same sense of 'absolute otherness' and cosmic dread that Lovecraft strove for.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #499 on: February 13, 2015, 07:19 AM »
^I'd add Thomas Ligotti and Poppy Z. Brite in with Matheson as well. Brilliant - utterly brilliant storytellers both. And, with Matheson, are some of the very few that can instil that same sense of 'absolute otherness' and cosmic dread that Lovecraft strove for.

As a fellow Lovecraft fan, I'm curious now. I don't know the references to Ligotti or Brite or Matheson (or not by name anyways).

Where should I look?