topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for Mar 26, 2013 - Codename: Major Updates  (Read 22107 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for Mar 26, 2013 - Codename: Major Updates
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:41 AM »
Newsletter for March 26, 2013
"Codename: Major Updates!"

1. Newsletter Editorial

Greetings readers, and welcome to another edition of the DonationCoder newsletter.

March is typically the month we hold our annual fundraiser -- so normally in this newsletter I would be asking you to visit the site and make a donation to support us.  However, while the site has been busy in the last year -- with our regular big NANY (New Apps for the New Year) programming event held in January, and a major new release of one of our more popular applications (more about that in a minute) -- it just didn't feel right asking for your support while we haven't made more progress on the long planned upgrade of the website.  Let's hope we have a reason to celebrate that next year.

But I do have something I want to ask for your help with.

The sending of this newsletter coincides with a major new release, version 4, of my program, Screenshot Captor, and the new release is filled with tons of new features.  If you haven't tried it yet, now would be a perfect time to do so (big thank yous to DC member Carroll D. (hamradio) for creating a ton of beautiful new icons for the program, and app103, for creating a bunch of great new clipart which is included with the program).

Screenshot Captor has consistently been one of the more popular and well-reviewed programs on the website.  It's also the program that I most frequently receive commercial-site-license inquiries about.  The policy here at DonationCoder has always been that our software is free for personal use (and free for individuals using for work), but that we ask larger companies to purchase commercial site licenses.  And while we've sold commercial site licenses is the past, we've never done a good job of explaining our commercial site licensing policies or had a dedicated page explaining them.

That is now changing.  I've created a dedicated commercial site license landing page complete with prices for high-volume site licenses, and a description of the benefits of choosing DonationCoder software for commercial business use. I'm requesting your help in spreading the word about our new commercial site-licenses.  If you know a medium or large organization that you think would be interested in purchasing a commercial site-license for any of our software programs, or might be interested in hiring us for custom development, please point them to our commercial site license page.

In addition to the major Screenshot Captor update, I've also released a new major version of my Multi Photo Quotes screensaver, which is now capable of extracting and displaying random frames and subtitles from video files (perfect for movie buffs or home videographers), a medium sized update to my popular URL Snooper application, and minor update to my Desktop Coral and Easy Screencast Recorder tools.  Details below.

2. Official DonationCoder News and Updates

Summarizing the major official updates on the site:

3. User-to-User: Your Input Requested

We love nothing more than having interesting discussions on our forum -- and we love when new people participate in the discussions.  In each newsletter we try to highlight a few topics that we think might interest casual readers and that are good candidates for making your first post.

4. Coding Snacks, Mini-Reviews, and DC Member Projects

We love to keep up with projects that our members are working on, and hearing what our forum members think of software they use.

5. Software Discussion

The Software Discussion section is one of the most active areas of the DC forum.

6. Entertainment and Education: Website Discoveries, Debates, Essays, Discussions

What's new in cyberspace? What exciting new sites have been discovered by forum members?  What's the current hot topic and debate? Read on to find out...

7. Developer's Corner

This section highlights some discussions that might be relevant for not just for coders and developers, but also people interested in entrepreneurial issues.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:27 AM by mouser »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: --> Newsletter for Mar 26, 2013 - Codename: Major Updates
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:40 PM »
Thanks mouser for all the great work lately
(just installed Screenshot Captor 4 :Thmbsup:)
Tom

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 02:09 PM »
Working your behind off on getting all the updates bug-fixed and released, and still time to write an awesome newsletter? Kudos :Thmbsup:

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 07:16 PM »
  Wow, 2 updates on software that I use!  I'm also going to give Easy Screencast Recorder a try.  Guess it's time to make another donation, eh?   :P

Vox Populi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 05:21 PM »
Many thanks to all for the hard work that you put in on this site.