topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:36 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Show us a picture of your.. CAR!!!  (Read 125605 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Show us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2015, 03:38 PM »
Yeah 4 cameras seems a bit excessive  :huh:

Not really...I plan on way more than that when I get my new wheels - I will have Drivers View recording via a mini-cam hidden in the dash (pointing at drivers face, and remotely accessible) - front facing camera (recording) 2 cameras on the front wings (which will connect to a screen in the car, useful for "corner peeking" where you can select which camera to look through on a screen in the car, and it will show you a nice view of what otherwise may be obstructed) - I will also have 2 of those on the back wings of the car for the same reason.  On top of those I will also have a rear facing camera (not a parking camera...purely for recording purposes).  I will also have a camera pointing out to the sides (will be in the door panels somewhere), which will be on both sides and will be a wide angle lens - this will be a recording only camera - useful for proving an accident wasn't your fault (if hit from the side where your other camera won't be able to see).  All in all that is 10 cameras. 

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2015, 03:39 PM »
The rest seem to be to have a record of potential traffic incidents, including a view of the driver if the car is stolen or if the driver is attacked or something.

I'm thinking it would be best to just go with how I tell the story ... As apposed to taking a chance biasing a jury with video of me shooting him.. ;)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2015, 03:46 PM »
I suppose it's more of a CYA thing.

The backup camera has an obvious use for convenience/help with backing up the car.

The rest seem to be to have a record of potential traffic incidents, including a view of the driver if the car is stolen or if the driver is attacked or something.

* Deozaan shrugs.

Yes, I think you have the gist of it.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2015, 04:49 PM »
Number of current Elio reservations: 44,556.

The number is big enough for a production to begin. However, the design tells me that it will fail. The look of the car is totally without any hint of "Driver's Spirit" (or what this may be called), but is quite frankly pathetic. You cannot win this game on the foundation that it is a pity for America to have lost a lot of jobs. That's simply not an argument for building cars!

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2015, 05:30 PM »
However, the design tells me that it will fail. The look of the car is totally without any hint of "Driver's Spirit" (or what this may be called), but is quite frankly pathetic.

(While historically not an Elio fan) I don't know if I'd jump there... The Prius is about as butt ugly as a car can get, with the "Smart" car running a close second. Yet they both appear to be selling like mad. The Elio is set to get better mileage by far, and has a sportier look (yeah, I know not saying much but still the advantage is there), with performance numbers that set it at least a full second in the quarter mile faster than the Prius.

Projected curb weight: 1,250
Horse Power: 55
^~= 18.528 @ 77.819mph in the quarter (with fair potential to drop into the 17's).

While the Prius' runs in the 19-20+ seconds range in the quarter.

Not to mention it's way cheaper, appears to be available as a convertible, and is American made...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2015, 07:18 PM »
And gets 84mpg.  If you check the blog, you will see that they were quite open about needing $25mil more in order to get the production run up and going, and were in the stages of securing that.  And they have in prospective interest, but there's a difference between that an offering, which they are currently in the early stages.

As far as the 'driver's spirit', I think it's made more for the commuter's spirit.  I'd love to go 2 weeks between gas ups, personally.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2015, 08:20 PM »
I saw a 3-wheel car on the road within the past couple of weeks. It looked similar to what Elio is trying to accomplish, but I think the two wheels were in the back, rather than in the front like Elio does it.

Personally, I'm a "fan" of the Elio concept. I want one. But I rarely drive anywhere anyway, so I'd like to gas up only once per year rather than once every 2-3 months. Or something.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: August 10, 2015, 10:57 PM »
He didn't happen to die in the van did he? :D ...Because that could explain why it was so cheap. :o

Nope. Zero accidents. He just died. I don't know how.

Not really.

Front and rear (2) cameras (DVRs) are for recording accidents. Those are perfectly justified in any vehicle, and certainly not over the top.

The backup camera isn't a DVR. It's a live feed for backing up, and doesn't include recording. Its field of view is just for backing up, so it doesn't have that breadth that other cameras do. Again, a great addition to any vehicle, and especially for larger ones.

The driver camera was stupid cheap. I just got a 90 degree cheapo DVR. It was $20:

http://www.ebay.ca/i...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

At $20, who cares? Will it work? Dunno. But it's worth a gamble. It's the same housing as many others, but the guts are minimal specs. At $20, it's not like it isn't worth trying out, and if it does work out, I scored large. 8)

Also, I can use the driver camera to point into the back and then have a small 2.7" monitor to see what's going on there. That's useful to check on the little on rather than trying to turn around while driving.

I'll figure out how the camera works, and see how I want to use it. I might want to get another one. Heck, I considered side cameras, but figured that I'd try out some of these super cheap ones to see if they work ok first. If it works out, I might get a couple more for the sides, but probably not. For side impacts, the front camera will have enough info to determine what happened in a legal framework, though there may be some edge cases there.

Not really...I plan on way more than that when I get my new wheels - I will have Drivers View recording via a mini-cam hidden in the dash (pointing at drivers face, and remotely accessible) - front facing camera (recording) 2 cameras on the front wings (which will connect to a screen in the car, useful for "corner peeking" where you can select which camera to look through on a screen in the car, and it will show you a nice view of what otherwise may be obstructed) - I will also have 2 of those on the back wings of the car for the same reason.  On top of those I will also have a rear facing camera (not a parking camera...purely for recording purposes).  I will also have a camera pointing out to the sides (will be in the door panels somewhere), which will be on both sides and will be a wide angle lens - this will be a recording only camera - useful for proving an accident wasn't your fault (if hit from the side where your other camera won't be able to see).  All in all that is 10 cameras. 

I've considered cameras for the front bumpers to see if I can "peer around corners" there. However, I don't want to spend $200+ on cameras for each bumper. Hence, my initial foray into super cheap cameras to see if they work well enough. If I can spend $20 to $40 on a camera, then I'll likely go ahead with it. But I won't spend much more.

But 10 cameras??? Wow... that's a lot! Remember that you need to have space for those displays. Or, you need to have a good display that you can switch between views on. I'm looking at having 4 displays now, and that's quite a bit (1 front rear cam display, 1 backup cam display, 1 driver cam display, 1 GPS display). Later on I may look into figuring out how to get a system assembled where I can get most cameras on 1 screen, but I'm a long way from that now. It may not be worth it.

I'm thinking it would be best to just go with how I tell the story ... As apposed to taking a chance biasing a jury with video of me shooting him.. ;)

BWAHAHAHAAHAHA~! 8) ;D  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

I have a knife in my glove box for utility purposes as that's all that you can really do in Canada. Sigh... I am rather envious of the freedoms Americans enjoy. ;(

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2015, 06:54 AM »
I saw a 3-wheel car on the road within the past couple of weeks. It looked similar to what Elio is trying to accomplish, but I think the two wheels were in the back, rather than in the front like Elio does it.

Personally, I'm a "fan" of the Elio concept. I want one. But I rarely drive anywhere anyway, so I'd like to gas up only once per year rather than once every 2-3 months. Or something.

There's actually quite a few (that I've seen frequently during Daytona Bikeweek) like the Campagna T-Rex, or the most (seemingly) popular Can-Am Spyder, but my personal favorite is the Morgan Threewheeler.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: October 09, 2015, 10:08 PM »
A week or so ago I saw a 12"x24" whiteboard magnet for sale in the store for a measly $1.99 a sheet -- you know that flexible kind of magnet that a lot of businesses use to put their contact info on so that you can slap it on your fridge? That stuff.

With it being election season, my mind instantly went into "let's screw with people" mode...

And I decided to pimp out my ride... 8)

vote-satan-s.JPGShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

My parents had a conniption when they saw it~! ;D

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: October 09, 2015, 11:34 PM »
I went with Cthulhu.  It's not overtly religious, and actually a little more subversive. :P

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2015, 12:09 AM »
I went with Cthulhu.  It's not overtly religious, and actually a little more subversive. :P

Hahaha~! ;D

Actually, I went through the "Cthulhu" logic, and simply figured that Satan is better known and the logic of the argument/humour would be more readily understood than with Cthulhu.

I really did want to go with Cthulhu, and that was the first version of my lawn sign. For my lawn sign, I went with a "Nobody" theme.

Still, I'm thinking I might want to change the "O" in VOTE to an inverted pentagram...

Oh... the many different ways to "pimp my ride"~! 8)

-- I'll post my "Cthulhu" and "Nobody" lawn signs in the silly humour thread as they're a bit out of place here.

dspelley

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • But it's a dry heat.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2015, 03:33 PM »
My 2014 Camry.
Camry.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

Bought this about a year ago after driving Honda Accords for several years. Honda's were great, but when the last one was getting near 200,000 miles, I wanted a vehicle I could take on longer road trips with more confidence I would get there. Our 2 youngest daughters are in college - one about 100 miles south of here, the other about 165 miles north, so some weeks we're on the road quite a bit to get to concerts (one in choir, the other in band), family weekends, etc. This one gets about 26 mpg around the city, and 33-34 mpg on the highway.

Also drive a 2010 Honda Odyssey van. Very comfortable, lots of room.
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on.
--- Richard Feynman (1918-1988)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 03:52 PM by dspelley, Reason: fix spelling »

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: October 13, 2015, 03:17 PM »
OK, I'll join the game.
20140610_194747-small.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
It's a '13 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Grand Touring Edition.

The specs are ridiculous, with a 3.8 V6 liter engine making 340+ hp. With a 8-speed transmission and paddle shifters, it does 0-60 in less than 5.5 seconds. To be sure that you appreciate its engine, there's actually a duct that focuses the sound of the engine into the cockpit.

I got this when the maintenance on my Subaru WRX start getting excessive. Since I'm in TX now, I don't need the AWD, so opted for something sporty with rear wheel drive.

However, in the GC I don't feel anywhere near as "connected" as I did in the WRX. I think that's largely down to the wheelbase of the GC being much longer, so its turn-in is inherently less quick. Also, the GC doesn't have a limited-slip diff (this is fixed in the current year edition), which causes wheel slip at corners, which triggers the traction control and makes the car bog down (so I always disable the traction control, except in the rain).

Oh, and one other complaint - the user interface and bluetooth connectivity in the entertainment system seems to have been designed by a summer intern.

But man, is this car fast. It doesn't matter how fast you're already going, there's always plenty more power to accelerate further. And it's the first car I've ever had in which I have to actually be careful leaving a stoplight so I don't spin the tires.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: October 13, 2015, 10:47 PM »
My 2014 Camry.
[ Invalid Attachment ]

Woohoo for the Camry!

They're actually made about 4~6 km from where I live now, depending on the route you take there (and 2~3 km as the crow flies). I used to work right across the street from where they are.

Buy more Camry cars everyone~! :D

(Yeah... I'm a total fanboi for local businesses and the local economy wherever I live. 8) )

My parents have one, and they're nice to drive.  :Thmbsup:

OK, I'll join the game.
[ Invalid Attachment ]

When I was a kid, my mom had a Hyundai Stellar. I loved that car. That was quite a while back.

But... Having lived in Korea for so many years, and having worked on some Hyundai marketing campaigns, I do have a soft spot in my heart for Hyundai.

They've really come a very, very long way.

The big thing that pushed me towards the Dodge Grand Caravan was the "Stow-n-go" seating. I wanted cargo space, and that was just a killer feature.

No balls like the GC there, but it does what I need for now.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: October 14, 2015, 03:59 AM »
OK, I'll join the game.
[ Invalid Attachment ]

The specs are ridiculous, with a 3.8 V6 liter engine making 340+ hp. With a 8-speed transmission and paddle shifters, it does 0-60 in less than 5.5 seconds.
[..]
But man, is this car fast. It doesn't matter how fast you're already going, there's always plenty more power to accelerate further. And it's the first car I've ever had in which I have to actually be careful leaving a stoplight so I don't spin the tires.

I wish you long clear stretches of road, without speed-traps :D
Tom

jadinolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2015, 11:45 PM »

This is my 1997 Toyota RAV4L which I purchased for my Basset hound, Fred on August 8, 1997.

It has since passed on to Fred II and now Fred III.

I have never kept a car this long before but since I drive only a little less than 100 miles a month it is silly to even think about replacing it. It still looks and runs like a new car.RAV4.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2016, 09:02 PM »
Thanks for that... I'm checking it out... but I think I'm all in. :)
  Oh yeah, I'm ALL IN with the non-refundable $1000.  Now for the hard part, waiting for it to come off the assembly-line.....   :D

The only two things I still have to research are the maintenance/parts and acceleration.  If they're in high demand and your car needs a part... are you going to be able to get it?  Are there going to be mechanics certified to work on it, or how easy/hard is it to work on?  Especially with those exposed wheel mounts.  And they mention top speed... but not acceleration...

Anyone who paid/reserved for an Elio car... Have they given you any updates? 2014 came and went as AFAIK nobody has gotten an Elio 2014 model. Are they releasing this year for sure? Next year? Or is it vaporware?

Yes, I reserved, and yes, it's still on.  Some of the development has taken longer- understandable as they're the first startup to make their own engine in 60 years.  But the date has been pushed back to early 2016.  And it's definitely not vaporware, as they're in testing and going to trade shows and such all the time with the cars.

http://www.eliomotors.com/blog/

And now?

They're still posting stuff on their blog, but I don't see any easy to find details about the planned release date.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2016, 10:02 AM »
It's still taking longer, but they're better funded now from a crowd funded stock offering, so it looks even better.  They've stopped giving dates, and instead been giving more detailed updates into the process, to show movement towards the finish line.

https://www.eliomoto...l-elio-momentum-v57/

They are planning to sell 100 preproduction units this year, to deliver next year.

http://www.autoblog....ike-deliveries-2017/

http://www.prnewswir...ction-300203118.html

http://jalopnik.com/...h-and-and-1744213503

http://www.otcmarket...com/stock/ELIO/quote
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:11 AM by wraith808 »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2016, 11:23 AM »
Taking this long I hope they have quality dialed in nice and tight or it could be a really short dance.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: July 07, 2016, 05:08 PM »
Recently got my new baby...Vauxhall Astra 1.4 TDI Sports Tourer, 150BHP

Gotta say...for an estate, she pulls like crazy!

13450775_505168886349754_4810778418693646518_n.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
13509140_505168829683093_3760799117025532158_n.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
13510803_505169056349737_6062042726615488141_n.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
13511987_505169086349734_7610704519114488838_n.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
13516657_505169076349735_2232786392568857012_n.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!
13524553_505168946349748_1416068098580032173_n.jpgShow us a picture of your.. CAR!!!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: July 07, 2016, 05:49 PM »
Why does the car behind it change? :huh:

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: July 07, 2016, 05:52 PM »
Why does the car behind it change? :huh:

Couple of the pics were taken before we went for a walk, and the ones with Munch in the back are when we returned, so the car parked next to us in the first ones, moved, then another turned up xD

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2018, 10:26 PM »
Necro-thread arise!

It's still taking longer, but they're better funded now from a crowd funded stock offering, so it looks even better.  They've stopped giving dates, and instead been giving more detailed updates into the process, to show movement towards the finish line.

They are planning to sell 100 preproduction units this year, to deliver next year.

Any update on the Elio? Their website makes it hard to find out how much progress has been made. It just seems to have a regular blog about the auto industry and how Elio hopes to shake it up, but with very little details about what's actually going on with the production of Elios.