topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Sunday February 28, 2021, 9:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Gadget WEEKENDS  (Read 370154 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Gadget WEEKENDS
« Reply #575 on: December 31, 2020, 02:07 AM »
Actually, I think we've all kind of missed the point, me included  :-[

AnyDesk, NoMachine, VNC, etc are for controlling the computer remotely. Client controls host.

I thought the point was that even though something like AnyDesk is intended for remote usage, it can still be used for "screen sharing" and allow someone to remotely see what the local user is doing. Or in other words, you can still control the Pi using a keyboard and mouse connected to the Pi while seeing the results "remotely" (i.e., wirelessly) on your tablet. And it also provides the benefit of granting you touch controls if you want to use the tablet as an input device as well.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #576 on: December 31, 2020, 05:24 AM »
I think you need to look for something that implements the WiFi Display protocol (MiraCast), for example MiracleCast.
Interesting! Have you used it? I hope these kind of tools evolve to open, near turnkey, inexpensive two-part wireless hardware kits: plug in a caster/sender device to the PC or Raspberry HDMI out port and plug in the receiver to either the HDMI in port on a display/TV or to USB OTG on an old android phone/tablet (maybe flashed with a custom ROM) and shazam: wireless screen over direct Wi-Fi. Pair them by temporarily connecting a cable from receiver to sender and press a hardware button. Bonus feature would be to allow multiple simultaneous receiver devices for one sender device.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #577 on: December 31, 2020, 06:21 AM »
Actually, I think we've all kind of missed the point, me included  :-[

AnyDesk, NoMachine, VNC, etc are for controlling the computer remotely. Client controls host.

I thought the point was that even though something like AnyDesk is intended for remote usage, it can still be used for "screen sharing" and allow someone to remotely see what the local user is doing.

There you go, I've officially used up whatever brain cells were allocated for this year ... I'm dumb  :-[

And I just discovered NoMachine can do the same with a little fiddling ... I think I'll shutup until my brain cells are replenished next year.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #578 on: December 31, 2020, 08:22 AM »
I'm officially confused.  The original video was about setting up a display that's not a display for the raspberry pi, which was really interested in, and thanks for the video.  The other things were a tangent I guess?  I think?  Maybe?  I dunno.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #579 on: December 31, 2020, 01:22 PM »
I'm officially confused.  The original video was about setting up a display that's not a display for the raspberry pi, which was really interested in, and thanks for the video.  The other things were a tangent I guess?  I think?  Maybe?  I dunno.

• A tablet is not a display for the Raspberry Pi.
  • If you use an HDMI -> USB -> USB OTG converter, and your tablet supports USB webcams, you can wire up the tablet to be a display for the Raspberry Pi.
  • Or if you use remote desktop software like AnyDesk, you can accomplish the same thing wirelessly.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #580 on: December 31, 2020, 05:25 PM »

• A tablet is not a display for the Raspberry Pi.
  • If you use an HDMI -> USB -> USB OTG converter, and your tablet supports USB webcams, you can wire up the tablet to be a display for the Raspberry Pi.
  • Or if you use remote desktop software like AnyDesk, you can accomplish the same thing wirelessly.

The video was about using a tablet as a display for a Raspberry Pi.  I, of course, know that a tablet is not by design a display for a Raspberry Pi.  But the video was about repurposing a tablet in a unique manner.  Therefore, I thought that everything else, since it was answering that post, was about that.  Anydesk lets you remote into the raspberry pi.  I have an all in one raspberry pi, so it has a keyboard attached, and a mouse on it.  That wouldn't work for me, as i said before, so I wasn't interested in that.

I hope we can lay this to bed at this time.  The thread went off on a tangent, and I got a bit confused by that.

Onward!  :Thmbsup:

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #581 on: December 31, 2020, 07:49 PM »
Just one more point regarding the screen share aspects of AnyDesk, NoMachine, etc - they all presuppose that you have a hardware monitor connected in the first place.

As such I think the MiraCast, OpenWFD, WiFi Display route is probably more geared towards this, seeing as it was billed as being "Wireless HDMI".

A couple of my old Android phones had MiraCast and WiFi Display in their settings but haven't seen them in any later phones.
Pretty sure that they would have been for sourcing rather than sinking, (which is what you want).

There are some MiraCast receiver/sink apps on the Play Store.

... and now back to our regularly scheduled program :P

PS. MiraCast is an optional feature in Windows 10 2004+ so it might give you something to play with.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:56 PM by 4wd »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #582 on: December 31, 2020, 10:23 PM »
I ordered the capture card and the converter cable, and they should be here on Sunday.  I'll try it and see how that goes before looking into any other options.

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #583 on: January 02, 2021, 02:52 PM »
I ordered the capture card and the converter cable, and they should be here on Sunday.  I'll try it and see how that goes before looking into any other options.
Keen to hear how well it works. Including which Android app to use - there are a few in the in Google Play and some appear to show ads.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 05:17 PM by Nod5 »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #584 on: January 02, 2021, 10:04 PM »
Keen to hear how well it works. Including which Android app to use - there are a few in the in Google Play and some appear to show ads.

So it worked quite well, with negligible perceived lag!

20210102_224943-1280x960.jpgGadget WEEKENDS
The cable connection- the HDMI from the Pi is at the bottom, then the capture card, then the adapter (used micro usb as that's what my old Samsung tablet has)

20210102_224932-1280x960.jpgGadget WEEKENDS
So when I first connected it, it asked if I wanted to open the app, and had a tick for always perform this action, which I did not tick.  After that, a dialog warning to safely disconnect came up.  I went ahead and connected- bad choice.  As soon as I connected, I couldn't click the dialog as its over the display area.  I had to reboot and try again, clicking the dialog before I connected the Pi.  It comes up not in full screen, but if you tap the display, it expands.  Tap it again to unexpand.

20210102_225253-1280x960.jpgGadget WEEKENDS
The Pi fullscreen.

20210102_225309-1280x959.jpgGadget WEEKENDS
A closer view of the screen.

I used USB Camera Pro - Connect EasyCap or USB WebCam (https://play.google....p;hl=en_US&gl=US).  They have a free version with ads, but with the refund policy on the play store, I figured I'd just go with the regular one, see if it worked, and if so keep it.  Better than even starting out with ads as it was only $5.49US.

micro usb to HDMI - https://smile.amazon.../product/B00LN3LQKQ/
capture card - https://smile.amazon.../product/B08CH9FC22/
usb-c to HDMI - https://smile.amazon.../product/B072V9CNTK/

The capture card appears to be out of stock right now :(  This looks like the same one - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08CXMLZCY/.  It's about $5USD more than I paid though.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:11 PM by wraith808 »

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #585 on: January 04, 2021, 04:07 AM »
So it worked quite well, with negligible perceived lag!
Great, thanks for the details.

I used USB Camera Pro - Connect EasyCap or USB WebCam
Good find. Though this is such a neat way to reuse old devices that I wish Google adds its own USB webcam functionality for it to Android. Also wishing Raspberry Pi OS came with some send-HDMI-over-USB functionality to make the converter hardware redundant.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #586 on: January 15, 2021, 09:19 PM »
The microphone line I hear most often recommended is the Blue Yeti.

Stephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #587 on: January 15, 2021, 09:27 PM »
I am looking to buy myself a good microphone as I want to start streaming, which one would you actually recommend me, or in case there is anyone who is streaming in here, which microphone are you using?

Not for live-streaming (but I could), I use a selection of Zingyou (Chinese) Condensor Microphones + a Behringer (u-phoria um2) interface (to provide 48v power and physical gain control).  I know people don't usually recommend Chinese stuff, but honestly, these microphones I got were both super cheap (<£50 each), came with everything they needed (telescopic arm, leads, pop filter, etc) and I have had 0 problems with a single one of them!

I'd highly recommend a telescopic arm for your microphone + a good pop filter!

Also, as for software, a mixture of Voicemeeter and CARLA (for VST plugins/effects) should be more than enough.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #588 on: February 22, 2021, 01:17 PM »
I finally fixed the Bluetooth issues on my laptop, once and for all, with this:

Screenshot - 2_22_2021 , 1_52_13 PM.pngGadget WEEKENDS

https://smile.amazon.../product/B085LB5Y8M/

It's not just a solution, it's also a nice, inexpensive upgrade to BT 5.0. :)

It seems to have a slightly shorter range than my built-in Bluetooth, though, so my headphones start cutting out on the far side of my kitchen. I can't listen to music while cleaning my bathroom or making a sandwich. But it will do for now, since it lets me use my Bluetooth mouse without any problems.