topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows 8 prices seem to have been announced during period to 31st January  (Read 11613 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
They are desperate to get this thing out there:

http://www.v3.co.uk/...pgrade-windows-gbp25
http://www.windowsit...ial-promotion-143592

This seems to be any version of XP, Vista or 7 to 8 Pro and they are even throwing in Windows Media Center for free during the promotion (well whoopdidoo).

Seems you are going to be able to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99 (US) or £25 (UK) until the end of January from the day of release.

That is for a download version. You can get a DVD but it will be $70 - (yep that's $30 for a DVD that costs 15 cents) (see articles)

Either they are trying to compete with MacOSX prices or they are desperate to tempt people to adopt early so they can say what a success it has been!

They are either being clever marketing it like this or the bad press rumbling over this release has them scared! Can't quite decide which. I suspect it is the first because they see Joe public adopting Metro wholesale and buying everything they need from the store - maybe that will happen - or maybe pigs will fly.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is a great idea. Now how about throwing in Office 2013 (or whatever the version is), too?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is a great idea. Now how about throwing in Office 2013 (or whatever the version is), too?

Pretty much they do.  Most of the functionality is available on the web in Office Live.

NigelH

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If anyone is planning to order Windows 8 Pro at the upgrade price of $39.99, you can get the DVD for the same price at Amazon until Oct 30.
Windows 8 Pro
Well, only if you don't mind spending the $30 promotional credit at Amazon.
Someone has to support it, right?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ Thanks.  I might actually do that.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If anyone is planning to order Windows 8 Pro at the upgrade price of $39.99, you can get the DVD for the same price at Amazon until Oct 30.
Windows 8 Pro

-the date seems to be "Through October 20, 2012", not "30".

2012-10-17_162037.gif

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
No offers on Amazon UK - in fact they only seem to offer Pro Upgrades at £50 at the moment.

Has MS made it clear yet what happens to WMC when you upgrade from Win 8 Standard to Pro - does the 'upgrade' delete WMC ?

blikksem

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looks like the pre-order copies from Amazon itself are sold out.
Pricing is now for a third party - at $159.99 for Windows 8 Pro

blikksem

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, back in stock and $69.99 again

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Has anyone looked at the lovely shiny new Windows 8 N-editions?

Fantastic offer - only 3+ times the normal price. I am sure they will be snapped up very quickly - grab yours while you can!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Fantastic offer - only 3+ times the normal price. I am sure they will be snapped up very quickly - grab yours while you can!

this ms page claims they should be the same price - but maybe they just dont make any offers with 'N'.

Do you know does this mean that we in the EU can *only* get 'N', or is it simply another option?
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member

this ms page claims they should be the same price - but maybe they just dont make any offers with 'N'.

Do you know does this mean that we in the EU can *only* get 'N', or is it simply another option?

IIRC - The N versions are just crippled versions that you can fix through downloading some MS software (WMP) that the EU in its infinite wisdom deemed illegal.

I'd recommend using a VPN with an IP in the place where you want to purchase. Once you pop out there, you're pretty much good to go, as long as you can get through the torture of the payment process.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Amazon are selling standard and N versions in the UK - been the case since Vista and the EU court case. The case didn't stop standard versions being sold but N versions had to be available too. Last time I looked on Amazon Win 8 Pro upgrade was £49.99 but Windows 8 Pro N version was £158.99

Perhaps time for another court case as the N version should be the same price or cheaper (since it lacks a number of features like WMP and Internet Explorer).

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I went non-pro System Builder 64-bit with additional 30 USD off (valid through 2012-10-25?) of 99.99 USD:

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-System-Builder-DVD-64-Bit/dp/B0094NY3R0/

windows-8-promotion-code.pngWindows 8 prices seem to have been announced during period to 31st January

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I went non-pro System Builder 64-bit with additional 30 USD off (valid through 2012-10-25?) of 99.99 USD:

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-System-Builder-DVD-64-Bit/dp/B0094NY3R0/
 (see attachment in previous post)

Why? Why pay $60 more than you need to?

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there a cheaper non-upgrade option?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there a cheaper non-upgrade option?

I'd like the answer to *that* one.  Doing the math... 99.99 - 30 (your price) - 60 (the more you paid that you needed to) = 9.99.  I'd go for that!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You can still get a full OEM copy of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit for about $75 if you shop around.

I still think that's a smarter buy and a much better deal.  :P

--------------------

Note: Last I checked, the offer for a $14.99 USD upgrade to Win 8 Pro on any new Windows 7 PC purchased between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013 is still available. (You'll need to register to qualify.)

Get the PC you need today and upgrade later

Buy a Windows 7 PC between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013. *
    (You can even use our PC Selector to help you choose.)

Register for the offer at windowsupgradeoffer.com before February 28, 2013.

We'll send you an email with your promotion code and purchase instructions when Windows 8 Pro is available.

Download and install Windows 8 Pro on a compatible Windows-based PC with Windows Upgrade Assistant.

Plus, the offer includes 90 days of Microsoft technical support at no charge. **

Already purchased a Windows 7 PC?

Great, we’ve still got you covered. If you bought a PC preinstalled with Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate on or after June 2, 2012, just go to windowsupgradeoffer.com and register. We'll send you an email with your promotion code and purchase instructions when Windows 8 Pro is available. You can then download and install Windows 8 Pro on a compatible PC with Windows Upgrade Assistant.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:45 AM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
You can still get a full OEM copy of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit for about $75 if you shop around.

I can get a full OEM copy of Win 7 pro for 35 euros (45$) :P
oooh, let me bask in that a bit :D I'm so used to things being a lot more expensive here than in the States.
(this bargain is made possible because the courts here declared it legal to sell on OEM versions.)
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ :Thmbsup: LOL