topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 9:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Splinter  (Read 87899 times)

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Splinter
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2012, 06:07 AM »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:36 AM by dmd7978 »

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2012, 02:59 PM »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:37 AM by dmd7978 »

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2012, 04:13 PM »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:37 AM by dmd7978 »

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2012, 12:17 PM »
30 Minutes Step by Step tutorial of how to create the Mario Page within Addition Edition Splinter. Not the best audio recording. Best bet is to turn down the bass and up the treble.

Feature / functions run through:

splicon creation
splanimation
toggle button with triggers
Splicon sequences (multiple splanimations linked together in an internal script)
showing and hiding of triggers
hot linking

Basically a "from scratch" to finished product tut. A better one will come later this week when I have more time.

fggf.png

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:39 AM by dmd7978 »

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2012, 09:33 PM »

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2012, 09:35 PM »

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #106 on: September 15, 2012, 07:18 PM »
Elegant Edition Splinter page screenshots and run through vid demo. Will upload the splinterface later today

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #107 on: September 15, 2012, 11:23 PM »
Some videos have been removed?

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #108 on: September 15, 2012, 11:48 PM »
Some videos have been removed?

UGH. Thanks for the heads up. Lame. Here is the link to my latest, Elegant Edition. Just go to my channel from there to see the rest....

Elegant Edition Splinter demo vid

Also, here is the link to the download page for the Elegant Edition splinterface, on devianART

Elegant Edition Splinter download page

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2012, 09:43 AM »
Elegant Edition Splinter page screenshots and run through vid demo. Will upload the splinterface later today

great video :Thmbsup:
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2012, 11:22 AM »
At first I wanted to test your program, because I like to test programs..., but then I changed my mind because of all the "desktop" references... I NEVER go to my desktop; I have nothing to use it for, and the icons are hidden. But this leaves me in the dark, regarding Splinter, I don't know what I may be missing! So please tell if you think your program then can be of interest to people like me who doesn't use the desktop?

--------
Also, I don't want to go to rapidshare. I agree, DeviantArt has made a big mistake!

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2012, 12:07 PM »
At first I wanted to test your program, because I like to test programs..., but then I changed my mind because of all the "desktop" references... I NEVER go to my desktop; I have nothing to use it for, and the icons are hidden. But this leaves me in the dark, regarding Splinter, I don't know what I may be missing! So please tell if you think your program then can be of interest to people like me who doesn't use the desktop?

--------
Also, I don't want to go to rapidshare. I agree, DeviantArt has made a big mistake!

HA. Absolutely!!!!! THAT is Splinter's 'purpose'. IF by you mean "use the desktop'  as in for purely file access functionality. And do NOT mean desktop as in the LOCATION of the desktop environment.

That is 100% why I designed it. To allow for ANYTHING to "occur"/happen/etc on the desktop. Like interactive stories, games, educational presentations. All interactive and in real-time. PLUS have the ability to load purely utilitarian functionality if you so choose.

To be honest, I am JUST like you. I dont have a single icon on my desktop, I do everything through the start menu. I am an MCSE and a hard-core admin user. The latest "icon based" splinterfaces are in no way something that I personally would run. But they are EXACTLY what the majority of end users I have come across, want, and so I had to show the diversity and ability.

If you notice, the first three YEARS of splinterfaces were in NO way anything that was icon based or purely desktop utility oriented. I ONLY did the recent ones cause the majority of users either didnt see how, if Splinter could do complex interactive hotlinkable imagery that did such in depth things as tell stories and educate people, that it could EASILY accomplish such "trivial" tasks as hotlinking standard looking icons that only opened up files and folders.

I LOVE your question. ESPECIALLY, since so many poeple have commented JUST the opposite to it. THAT is Splinter's "power" and breadth of depth. It is completely flexible and completely viable for any and all "types" of things that you would want to do in an interactive media presentation. The KEY about it being a "desktop interface", is that everything can be hotlinked in ways and have imagery "appear" in ways that cannot occur "anywhere" else.

The desktop INTERFACE, not the "other aspects" of the computer, IS, THE most powerful and capable medium, on the planet, due, SOLELY to its hotlink and imagery abilities, basically allowing you to bring the ENTIRE internet and all of its data/info/media, to YOU, rather than having to go OUT to "search" for it. And games and "movies" and stories and informational presentations do not simply have to run "over" your desktop environments anymore, they can be far more powerful and diverse by having that game or story actually BE the desktop interface.

It takes a leap of conceptual "understaning" of how hotlinking EVERYTHING to ANYTHING means that ANYTHING can now happen/occur/take place in the new universe of "spli-space".

It is SO simple, once you start looking at hotlinking things the right way. "Everything" you do on a computer when clicking something, is more or less a hotlink. You could even say that the things you "click"/shoot/etc while playing a video game is a type of hotlink. You are pressing something and something is occurring. The internet is the same way.

The world is run by clicks, nothing more. And Splinter "only" adds the ability to click more things, in new ways. And allows them to be linked to create more complex sequences of "clicks". Nothin to it, "technically"

Also, and you can call it whatever you want, it doesn't "matter" to me, but I want to be clear and say that it isn't a "program". Or at least not 'just" a program. It is the literal dictionary definition of a new visual programming "language", so it is easier to "see" what it is potentially able to do when you look at it that way. What could possible be created with C#? Almost "anything", right? Any type of "anything". That is what I believe Splinter allows for the creation of. It is just a glorified and visual binary system with hotlinks, nothing more.

And the DA comment, thanks, and nice to hear it wasn't just me that thinks it is so foolish!

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2012, 12:13 PM »

great video :Thmbsup:

Thanks tomos! Just a "draft". I will refine it as well as create one with narration for Elegant.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2012, 03:59 PM »
-thank you for the thorough and enthusiastic answer.

When I look at the various examples of Desktop Hotlinker Splinter features, I cannot help but wonder if most or even every feature could be offered as auto-hiding / auto-pop-out toolbars / buttons on the sides of the screen - just like any toolbar will offer? Or am I again missing a point?
 :tellme:

My reason of course being that I meant it when I said that I don't go to my desktop - why should I, I can never see it, because it is always covered by windows from the programs I am using...

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2012, 08:12 PM »
auto-hiding / auto-pop-out toolbars / buttons on the sides of the screen - just like any toolbar will offer?

Hi. Thanks again for the reply. Yes, absolutely, splinter can do exactly what you ask, it just does it "differently". I would gladly create/show how/or anything else for ANY specific request or question, it just needs to be asked.

And as I see Splinter and "spli-space" so vividly and "uniquely", perhaps, I see ALL of it, everything that Splinter can do, which is "EVERYTHING" that any and "all" other desktop interface "type" software can do, as simple and without question because it, Splinter, is THE most simple programming "language" on the planet.

When you start to see Splinter as "nothing" more than an imagery based double and sometimes triple binary system, with the triggers either shown or hidden, the splicons either open or closed, and whether you are or are not on a particular page (wallpaper), each NOTHING more than a 1 or a 0, a fully imagery based binary, with the ability to "drag and drop" these triggers and splicons INTO their "animations"(openings), and the ability to, both hotlink by drag and dropping files or folders onto ANY image within a splinterface and "hotlink" by running ANY of the objects within a splinterface through THE most simplistic, yet insanely powerful scripting language, spli-script, which consists of ONLY SIX simple commands that need to be learned in order to create everything I have done and an infinite amount more,  "you" "can" no longer believe that ANY limitations  WITHIN the desktop environment, now exist.

I have also, I believe, done everything you ask about in several tuts, but will need to know specifically what you mean by each, as I could make "many" different types of EACH of those things you listed, with Splinter, easily

I mean just think of ANYTHING specific that you would want Splinter to do or show you and I will do it, I "guarantee" it. Im a po white guy so I don't guarantee it with bread, just my name and my software's rep. Neither of which are anything  stellar to anyone but me, at this point.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 09:22 PM by dmd7978 »

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2012, 10:55 PM »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:40 AM by dmd7978 »

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2012, 11:07 AM »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:40 AM by dmd7978 »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2012, 02:12 AM »
Itchin Edition Splinter

-wow, this is really awesome to look at, dmd7978. Bravo!  :Thmbsup:

--------------
However, the picture you've uploaded is 3MB, so I have taken the liberty to compress it:

click 480kb thumbnail to enlarge:

itc3hin - Copy.jpgSplinter

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2012, 06:32 AM »
Thanks, Curt, I appreciate it. As far as the image size, I agree it is large. The "problem" , if you look at the image below, is that when compressed that much there is noticeable loss of quality. And since it is the more visually appealing, recent splinterfaces that are getting it the attention it deserves, finally, I am more concerned with the screenshots being actual quality than the extra time it takes for someone to view the image...

However, I live in Northern CA, and my internet pipeline is a ridiculous 20Mbps fiber network through Comcast. So an image this size opens "instantly" on my end. I suppose it may be a relatively "large" file for some "third world" locations? Is that why you recommended it?

I may have to figure out a middle ground between the two images, if this is the case.

Thanks, again

hh.jpg
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:44 AM by dmd7978 »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2012, 07:49 AM »
-my speed is 25mbps, but the original picture took so long to open, that I already was scrolling past it, thinking it probably wasn't a full sized picture.

As you said, my compressed version of your original is not looking very good. I really would like to have some fast, affordable desktop alternative to Picasa's image compressor; I think it is impressive how much they can compress a picture and still have it looking good.

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2012, 06:21 AM »
Edition Edition Splinter

Download page
Edition_Edition_Screencap_WIP.jpgSplinter

Dishin Edition Splinter

Dishin_Edition_Splinter_WIP_Screenshot1000.jpgSplinter

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2012, 08:14 PM »
Ted Wood Edition Splinter.

Named after my grandfather, who died yesterday.

deviantART download page

TW_Solo_SS.jpgSplinter
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:20 PM by dmd7978 »

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Extended screenshot of Ted Wood Edition Splinter. See the post above for the details

Ted_Wood_Edition_Splinte_Final_SS.jpgSplinter

dmd7978

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Spli-Stuff Blog
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2013, 10:08 PM »
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:41 AM by dmd7978 »

dmd7978