topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:05 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: FARR and Indexing Option - Feedback Requested  (Read 51501 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR and Indexing Option - Feedback Requested
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2011, 05:41 PM »
Just wondering : who uses or has tried phitsc's farr Windows Search's plugin ? Here, apart from the  occasional crashes (EAccessViolation : I seem to be the minority with that problem), it's pretty quick searching about 190 000 files (it's not that much... but...) and a 1.53 GB PST file's content : usually 1s, but might take up to 4s for longer queries. I can definitely live with that.

YvonZh

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2011, 12:09 AM »
FARR,it's so slow,I have a lot of files,like 1,000,000 files.
Launchy with index is fast,but the indexing is annoying,then I turned to FARR,it's good ,but  I found it's not really what i want.
I'm wondering if FARR can use windows USN Journal as well as Everything,that will be perfect.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:15 AM by YvonZh »

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2011, 11:51 AM »
YvonZh: Have you tried the Everything plugin for FARR? See here:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=18724.0

I myself very often use this alias to quickly pass a search from FARR to Everything
https://www.donation....msg213412#msg213412

You might also like: AHK script for replacing the current folder search in Explorer (CTRL+F) with Everything
https://www.donation....msg150661#msg150661

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2011, 12:20 PM »
I'm wondering if FARR can use windows USN Journal as well as Everything,that will be perfect.

yes, my plan is implement a kind of api for hooking farr into better search engines transparently, like ntfs etc.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2012, 10:26 PM »
Everything is great when it is working.... but it continually breaks down here. My D:\ drive is my data drive - all data and media files are there. It is the largest and most used drive of the several I have. And Everything drops it at least two or three times a week! I mean, I get some results on D:\ drive, but mostly it ignores it. Settings are correct, the drive is healthy, and Everything initially indexes it along with the others. But then - it decides not to search it any more. No error mentioned in its errorlog.

No other utility or program does this with D:, so I Don’t know why Everything has a problem with it. I do notice though that a few others mention the same issue on their forum, and it is always D:\ drive.

So c'mon mouser!

Thanks!

Jim

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 12:53 PM »
Everything is great when it is working.... but it continually breaks down here. My D:\ drive is my data drive - all data and media files are there. It is the largest and most used drive of the several I have. And Everything drops it at least two or three times a week! I mean, I get some results on D:\ drive, but mostly it ignores it. Settings are correct, the drive is healthy, and Everything initially indexes it along with the others. But then - it decides not to search it any more. No error mentioned in its errorlog.

No other utility or program does this with D:, so I Don’t know why Everything has a problem with it. I do notice though that a few others mention the same issue on their forum, and it is always D:\ drive.

So c'mon mouser!

Thanks!

Jim

Yep, Everything isn't bullet proof : I do experience problems with it too, from time to time (same as the other indexers : files can't be found, etc.) the problem seems to be that the journal or index isn't updated properly. Closing everything / re indexing the drives (which is still pretty fast) solves the problem.

murdock01

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2012, 08:53 AM »
Mouser,
  I really like the way Farr works now, without an index. I dont want to have to re-index everytime I use Farr on a new machine; I use it from a usb. An option to turn on an index would be an option but how about this:
Have it search the Master File Table just like you search the start menu directory. Why create an index of files when the file system already has one.
I refer you to: http://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearch/
This is a search program that does search MFT. Please check it out. Maybe you can incorporate something like this instead of calling out to another program like everything.
Hope this helps.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 11:10 PM »
I'm pretty sure MFT-based searching is what we're talking about here, but it still requires creating and maintaining an index/database for faster searching.

- Oshyan

Scott_Y

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2012, 08:43 PM »
Previously when entering a search string could be so slow, yes, I thought indexing would be a good thing to speed up FARR. But now that Armando has solved that problem ( https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=29756.0 ) I don't wish for indexing any more. But my search needs are not very demanding.

tory55

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2012, 12:20 AM »
As a total newbie to FARR... and as one who has clearly not investigated all the remarkable features of this program...I hope my input may still be worthwhile.

I have temporarily migrated to Win from Linux where I used a similar,  and much less mature program called Synapse. It uses a third-party background daemon to index content by type (app / audio/ video / image/  document). I believe it also schedules a raw indexing of dir/file names daily, using cron and updatedb.

The hot key dialog (Ctrl-Alt) lets me 1) quickly choose the content type from a small menu bar , and  2) provides a text field to key in the file/ dir name  I'm searching for.

These days, intuitive search for video vs. audio vs. images vs. apps vs. text is becoming a natural approach.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:30 AM by tory55 »

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2012, 03:25 AM »
I think that it would be better to tap into the USN journal like Everything just to get the filenames or windows search index to get the content index also than to implement it all over again. There is a windows search plugin already but for me it consistently crashes FARR (win7 x64).

I use FARR to quickly find commonly used files and folders. If I need to search the entire disk I use Everything (with FARR alias to trigger it on double space at the end). Only time I use windows search index is to search for emails.

For me, index in FARR is not really necessary, as I rarely search the entire disk for just one file (ie. i search for multiple log files, or a group of images etc) and FARR cant' handle multiple files selection and manipulation (as far as I know).
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

soulwanderer

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2012, 11:53 AM »
A little late to the party, but I'll explain how I do it:
i) I use FARR to launch, and have a couple of directories with links to tools (to make FARR run faster)
ii) When I want to search a file, when i remember part of the name, i use everything

How would I like FARR to index? Easy, I would love if FARR scanned the directories configured on startup (or maybe a subset of them, a check to cache...) so my tools folders would allways be indexed and work blazing fast, and when there is no match (or I dealy on clicking) it'll keep on searching on other folders...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2012, 01:43 PM »
My plan is to have FARR move from v2 to v3 with the addition of (OPTIONAL) indexing this year (2012).

Cel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2013, 10:48 AM »
im considering moving to FARR, away from years of advanced use of Launchy, but my main use case is launching documents from amongst thousands of candidates, so indexing of pre-selected locations is really key for it to be on par with Launchy - what's the current situation with respect to indexing in July 2013?
im looking for a launcher that is actively developed and covers what Launchy does, and would be interested to contribute.

ta!

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2013, 11:43 AM »
My plan is to have FARR move from v2 to v3 with the addition of (OPTIONAL) indexing this year (2012).

Almost 3/4 the way through 2013 :-/

dwilbank

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2013, 11:59 AM »
"Everything" won't index remote drives without installing extra software on those remote systems (which is not allowed at most workplaces, I suspect).

Here's hoping an indexing system would improve on that limitation.

Thanks

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2013, 12:39 PM »
Here's hoping that FARR indexing will make into FARR at some point! :-/

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2013, 04:16 PM »
Here's hoping that FARR indexing will make into FARR at some point! :-/
+1
I'd like to see this as well
Tom

sideparker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2015, 01:13 PM »
hello, sorry for the thread-necro, but i just want to ask if is this still being actively worked on?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2015, 01:18 PM »
Well "actively" might be stretching it.. however i've recently been updating farr -- new update coming in next few days -- and while i haven't implemented indexing yet, i've been thinking about it a little more and i'm still committed to adding it -- as an option (many people like farr specifically because it does live search and doesn't mess with indexing).  Hopefully sometime towards the end of this year.

sideparker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2015, 02:09 AM »
Well "actively" might be stretching it.. however i've recently been updating farr -- new update coming in next few days -- and while i haven't implemented indexing yet, i've been thinking about it a little more and i'm still committed to adding it -- as an option (many people like farr specifically because it does live search and doesn't mess with indexing).  Hopefully sometime towards the end of this year.

yeah an option would be just fine. thank you!

Filipe Meira Castro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2015, 06:33 AM »
Would be nice for the option to be independend for each drive, for example, fast SSD drive C with no index, but slow drive D to use index! :)