The link (http://bayfiles.net/...ufd/tools_v6.0.9.zip) leads to an 440KB exe! Is it a downloader of the real thing, or will it destroy my pc and leave me bankrupted? Or does one really have to pay for a Premium account, in order to download the money-saving anti-drm extension? The problem could maybe be my browser not allowing some important popup telling me what I should have done.
Curt, I'm sorry for your trouble trying to get the plugin for Calibre. The download page is very confusing; I even had trouble with it myself since my reply to you.
The BIG <Download> button is a decoy which leads to the executable file you got. The Calibre plugin is obtained via the SMALL <Premium download> button (which, as it turns out, does not require payment despite the misleading label). I regret that I did not know that when I posted my reply.
Having said that, note that the link describes how to install the plugin in Calibre, which would have alerted you to the fact that you had downloaded something different.
So to clarify for anyone interested in the DeDRM plugin for Calibre:
1. Instructions are at http://apprenticealf...ving-most-ebook-drm/
2. The instructions say "The DRM removal plugin (DeDRM_plugin.zip) can be found in the tools archive linked from the most recent post in this blog."
3. Go to the most recent post in the "Posts" panel on the right. Currently that is "Tools v6.0.9 posted".
4. The current tools collection is "Tools_v6.0.9.zip", which contains several different tools for removing DRM. Among them is the Calibre plugin, found in its own folder in the archive.
5. The plugin is FREE. If you have to pay for your download, you got the wrong thing. See here http://apprenticealf...al-tools-for-ebooks/
I agree that this is an unnecessarily complicated way to obtain the plugin, and the hosted download page is intentionally deceiving
. However, the plugin does work well once you finally find and install it. [EDIT: The download page is hosted, so not the direct responsibility of the authors of the plugin. Nevertheless, it is nasty to their users.]
Again, my apologies for the difficulties you experienced. I last downloaded it a year ago, and the layout changed since then.