topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)  (Read 471222 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)
« Reply #400 on: March 31, 2016, 09:14 AM »
I've just downloaded the latest version in the hope that things would start working again and the .exe file has been gobbled up by Norton Internet Security which complains that it is monitoring my keyboard. Since it's never done this with previous versions, I am puzzled. Is there anything I (or indeed you) can do? I'm running XP SP3.

Thank you for taking the time to write.  This is a false positive that comes and goes due to the language my applications are written in (AutoHotkey).  As a test in the past, I've written a single line AHK script and compiled it:

F1:: ExitApp

That's it...one hotkey to exit the application.  Even that won't come up clean on VirusTotal.  I know it's only my word, but I can state that there is no malware in any of my applications.

Years ago, when the AV companies were a lot fewer, I used to contact them about stuff like this.  Things would get fixed but, due to the AV updates, false positives would, inevitably, occur again. I got tired of dealing with it so now I just shrug and trust that my body of work speaks for itself.  I know it sounds terribly apathetic, but fighting it just isn't worth the cycles.  =]  Cheers.

kevlar_heart42

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #401 on: March 31, 2016, 12:13 PM »
Hi: Windows 10 Pro, version 1.6.1 works for a minute then crashes to null reading.  :huh:

Brothbeard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #402 on: March 31, 2016, 01:33 PM »
I've resolved the problem by asking Norton to exclude it from its SONAR checks. Thanks for replying though. It works beautifully.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #403 on: March 31, 2016, 01:48 PM »
I've resolved the problem by asking Norton to exclude it from its SONAR checks. Thanks for replying though. It works beautifully.

Good to hear and thank you for the donation.   :Thmbsup:

FWIW, these false positives are usually because of the keyboard hook code AutoHotkey uses for the global shortcuts.  Basically, the A/V engines see this as potential keylogger.  However, in this latest update, I didn't change around any of that code so it probably has to do with compiling sWeather with a later version of AutoHotkey than before.  This usually causes A/V signatures to go apeshit again regarding the keyboard hook thing.

JanJ

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #404 on: April 02, 2016, 06:43 AM »
I've noticed that the new version: 1.6.2.Build 1, will randomly act like the previous version did, (get no data) until you manually update it...
Sometimes on Windows load it loads, sometimes not... When Not, all the locations have no data.

Also, at times there will be a 'pregnant pause' from the time you refresh data, until it is seen... Other times it refreshes quite quickly...

qbic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #405 on: April 02, 2016, 07:10 AM »
I've noticed that the new version: 1.6.2.Build 1, will randomly act like the previous version did, (get no data) until you manually update it...
Sometimes on Windows load it loads, sometimes not... When Not, all the locations have no data.

Also, at times there will be a 'pregnant pause' from the time you refresh data, until it is seen... Other times it refreshes quite quickly...

I can confirm this. It does hang when i try to refresh data manually, and than it doesn't show any weather data until it refreshes itself i suppose.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #406 on: April 02, 2016, 08:19 AM »
@JanJ, @qbic: I've noticed this as well and it seemed particularly bad yesterday (especially later in the evening Central US time).  I'm mostly certain it's a Yahoo! issue, possibly one of capacity as more apps are moved to the new API.  At the moment I write this, it's very quick and it loaded my numerous locations into the expanded view with no hesitation at all.  I'll try to keep an eye on it and, the next time it's slow, I'll try to figure out if it's something in my code or not.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #407 on: April 03, 2016, 06:27 PM »
Arghhh, the performance of this new API is frustrating.  After several hours of testing, I'm certain this is not an sWeather; hell, even the official Yahoo! developer page doesn't return data a lot of the time.  I really hope they fix the issue but, in the meantime, I figured out a way to get data from the old API and have added an option for that (enabled by default).  As the changelog entry states below, I have no idea how long Yahoo! intend to make the older API available.  Please read the changelog entry for more caveats to this workaround.

Website | Download
v1.6.3 - 2016-04-03
    + Due to Yahoo!-realted issues with the new API, I've added a workaround
      option to use the old API.  This option is enabled by default.  That said,
      while the older API seems to be much more reliable, I cannot guarantee how
      long Yahoo! will make it available.  Maybe this workaround will buy enough
      time for Yahoo! to get their stuff together regarding the new API.  Please
      note that the data is slightly different between the two APIs and that the
      "Full forecast" link doesn't appear to provide proper links when using the
      old API.
    * Prettied up the Options dialog with some icons.
    * Made the main form display missing data more elegantly.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 06:50 PM by skwire »

wd9598

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #408 on: April 06, 2016, 04:06 AM »
I figured out a way to get data from the old API and have added an option for that (enabled by default).

Thanks, now it's working on Win XP again (jep, I'm the one who' s still using XP)
Except the 5 and 10 days extended forecast does not work, but who cares?
That was and will be always only a guess.

Regards

sportman12

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #409 on: April 06, 2016, 11:58 AM »
When you say Except the 5 and 10 days extended forecast does not work, can you tell me which  5 and 10 days extended forecast does not work, ?

wd9598

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #410 on: April 06, 2016, 12:12 PM »
When you say Except the 5 and 10 days extended forecast does not work, can you tell me which  5 and 10 days extended forecast does not work, ?

sportman12

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #411 on: April 06, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Ok if the 5 and 10 days extended forecast does not work as seen in the screenshot , can you show me a screenshot of the way it looks now if it dose not have the 5 and 10 days extended forecast does not work, ?

wd9598

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #412 on: April 06, 2016, 02:50 PM »
It looks like this because I deactivate the extended forecast always.

sportman12

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #413 on: April 06, 2016, 04:07 PM »
Dose the extended forecast for the new version of  sWeather work ?

wd9598

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #414 on: April 06, 2016, 06:39 PM »
no, does not work in version 1.6.3.1. (which is the most recent version at the time of this post).

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #415 on: April 06, 2016, 07:53 PM »
Dose the extended forecast for the new version of  sWeather work ?

Instead of asking and waiting, why not just try it?  Yes, the extended forecasts do work on my test systems (all some flavour of Windows 7).

no, does not work in version 1.6.3.1. (which is the most recent version at the time of this post).

wd9598, I added Windsor, Ontario to my test instance and I get extended forecasts using both the old and new APIs.  I'm not sure what the problem is for your system.  It could be the fact that you're running XP but I've had reports from other users that sWeather runs fine on their XP systems.  Another sWeather user on this forum, Ath, has reported that the extended forecast works fine for him at home but not on his computer at work which would lead me to believe it's a proxy or some other internet connection anomaly.

Can you verify that your Windsor WOEID is 4079?

sportman12

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #416 on: April 06, 2016, 10:15 PM »
skwire I have Windows 10 dose it work when it refreshes it is like this in the screenshot ?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #417 on: April 06, 2016, 10:20 PM »
skwire I have Windows 10 dose it work when it refreshes it is like this in the screenshot ?

Why did you repost wd9598's screenshot?  As I stated in my previous post, the extended forecast DOES work for me and plenty of others.  For some reason, it's not working for wd9598.  In your case, why don't you simply TRY IT on your own computer instead of waiting to hear back on this forum?

sportman12

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #418 on: April 06, 2016, 10:46 PM »
skwire I have Windows 10 when it refreshes every 15 mins  it is like on the  screenshot ?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #419 on: April 06, 2016, 11:41 PM »
Are you running v1.6.3?  If not, please download it and see it fixes things.

wd9598

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #420 on: April 07, 2016, 03:08 AM »
It could be the fact that you're running XP
-skwire
I posted that before:
Thanks, now it's working on Win XP again
Except the 5 and 10 days extended forecast does not work

Can you verify that your Windsor WOEID is 4079?
-skwire
Verified

As I posted before: It does not matter that the EF (Extended Forecast) does not working for me,
I never used it (I only wanted to let You know).

But:
I tested the EF a few times in the past, it was working very well and without any problems on my system before the changes on Yahoo starts and everything had to be updated in sweather.
So it is not a bug in my system.
And I am not willing to switch to an other OS (because I am addicted to XP :-)
Again, it does not matter for me because I never used the EF.
So do not worry, it is fine like it is (for me).

Regards

wd9598

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #421 on: April 07, 2016, 03:52 AM »
UPDATE:

Here it comes:

How I did that?
I played a little bit around with the sweather options:

And I switched from THAT:

To THAT:

I deactivated the metric units.
And the EF is working.

But Canada is a METRIC country and I am a metric guy and without METRIC I will not use sweather at all.
So I turned METRIC back on. Now, the EF is not working for me (and all the other Windows XP metric-guys here in Canada I guess) but as I posted: For me is fine, I do not need the EF at all.

Hopefully, my informations are helpful for fixing a few bugs in the sweather future.
Regards

wd9598

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #422 on: April 07, 2016, 06:36 AM »
UPDATE 2:

I figured out something more:
It looks like Canada is the ONLY Country (or perhaps one of a few countries) in which metric is not working, I checked out three different countries (and one thing for sure: I will NOT check out more of them :-))

GERMANY:

FRANCE:

ARGENTINA:

All of the 3 countries are working fine with metric units, except Canada.
Why is it like this?
Because the weather in Canada was never predictable and it never will be :-))

So I do not believe it is a bug in sweather. Metric does not work for one country but for all the others? No that's not a sweather bug, this must have something to do with the source
sweather got his weather data from (I guess).

Regards
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:53 AM by wd9598 »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #423 on: April 10, 2016, 12:51 AM »
Based off of what I've seen over the past few days, it seems that Yahoo! have fixed the problems they were having with their new API.  Currently, for me, it's MUCH faster than the older API.  If anybody is up to it, feel free to test out the new API by unchecking the "Use older Yahoo! Weather API" option.  If you do so, I'd appreciate a quick post here with your findings.

Brothbeard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #424 on: April 13, 2016, 01:28 AM »
New API seems to work well this morning - in fact for the last day I've been having problems with the old one and only just noticed your message. Hoorah!