topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)  (Read 471253 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)
« Reply #375 on: March 28, 2016, 12:16 AM »
Downloaded.. Appears to be working.  That was fast work upgrading that!!!!

Sending some donationcredits -- and I suggest other sWeather users do the same to show some appreciation for such a fast non-trivial fix -- it doesn't get any better than that.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #376 on: March 28, 2016, 12:18 AM »
Thanks for the kind words, AzureToad & mouser.  Much appreciated.   :D

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #377 on: March 28, 2016, 04:28 AM »
Another +1 :Thmbsup:

D-Credits are in the mail 8)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #378 on: March 28, 2016, 08:08 AM »
Thanks, Ath, much appreciated.   :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #379 on: March 28, 2016, 09:51 AM »
I noticed when I saved the old .ini file to desktop, then deleted all old files from folder, then unzipped new files in and move the .ini file back(as I usually do with portable programs) I could not search to get a location.  City State Country or Zip when clicking Lookup  Button nothing happens.

I unzipped into an empty folder and it worked as expected as far as that goes.  The other weird thing when I click on Full Forecast link, I get the weather forecast page.  But as soon as I slide the mouse over the browser page it starts showing me some weird desktop screen caps.  Like a futuristic building and a rain forest shot.  I can't click on anything to get the page to do anything.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #380 on: March 28, 2016, 11:08 AM »
The other weird thing when I click on Full Forecast link, I get the weather forecast page.  But as soon as I slide the mouse over the browser page it starts showing me some weird desktop screen caps.  Like a futuristic building and a rain forest shot.  I can't click on anything to get the page to do anything.

I tested this in a new VM and I get the same popup you're describing.  However, I just clicked the "X" in the upper right of the popup and was able to access the weather site just fine.   :huh:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #381 on: March 28, 2016, 01:01 PM »
Running again to try what you wrote I double clicked the tray icon to Show and instead got this:

strange.png

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #382 on: March 28, 2016, 01:02 PM »
Which OS are you running?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #383 on: March 28, 2016, 02:52 PM »
Which OS are you running?

Windows 8.0

Let me try it again without this external keyboard.  Sometimes the touchpad can get, er, touchy with stuff leaning on it.  I'll unzip and try it fresh just a sec..

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #384 on: March 28, 2016, 02:59 PM »
It seems to come right up with one click on the cloud tray icon now.  Sorry.  It must have been the touchpad acting up.  Go figure.  :)

finchley

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #385 on: March 28, 2016, 03:39 PM »
The behavior is a bit goofy now.  Trying to get to the options is a chore.  I have to wait about 15 seconds before the menu appears and then I get the following error:
1.jpgRelease: sWeather (tray-based weather app)

Now at this point it either terminates or continues on and actually brings up the options menu.  Clicking on the save button in the options usually gets the "not responding" message.  However, the options will eventually be saved and the application will continue.  If you click on the X button then you will definitely get the "not responding" message and it will terminate.  Windows will of course try to find the reason for the early termination but it won't (I don't think it ever has).

So it kinda works (it's all hit-or-miss) but not like it did before.

Just in case anyone asks:  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #386 on: March 28, 2016, 04:25 PM »
@finchley: This is probably due to the 1) lack of responsiveness of the new API and/or 2) the fact that it requires OAuth authentication.  During my testing, I noticed that the new API seems to be much slower than the old one.  On a hunch, I don't think this has much to do with the OAuth requirement; I think it's more the Yahoo! console API and the YQL (Yahoo! Query Language) I have to use now.  I've noticed some delays here and there on my home connection but have not seen what you're describing.  What kind of internet connection are you using?  Is it usually fast, stable, etc?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 05:46 PM by skwire, Reason: Grammar/typo fix. »

The Tramp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #387 on: March 29, 2016, 04:22 AM »
Just installed the download, it seems that the feels like is not converted to celcius.
2016-03-29.pngRelease: sWeather (tray-based weather app)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #388 on: March 29, 2016, 05:10 AM »
^, and also the Barometer value is quite high :o

Dogmeat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #389 on: March 29, 2016, 07:26 AM »
Thanks for the API fix! The connection to the Yahoo server seems to be working. Just a few still with grokking the API data:
1) I think some of the data is being misread. The "Feels like" is showing as 28C but it is 3C outside. The wind speed is 54 km/h, 100% humidity and a massive barometer reading. No tropical storm outside.  :)
2) The time for sunrise and sunset is dropping the trailing 0 e.g. 7:00 am is showing as 7:0 am.
3) The date/time in the title bar is fixed at Thursday, January 1 0:00 AM.

Thanks for all the work though.

DM

PS I have no issue (or noticed any) with responsiveness though I do have a pretty fast rig and a very fast fibre connection.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #390 on: March 29, 2016, 08:48 AM »
Thanks for the bug reports, all, and welcome to DonationCoder for the first-time posters.

The bloody frustrating thing is that the data bugs are actually API bugs on Yahoo!'s side, i.e., they're not sWeather bugs.  Of course, some I can fix with math (Feels Like temp always reporting in Fahrenheit, for instance) but what happens if Yahoo! fix their side? Any math fix I implemented would then bork things up again.  The sunrise/sunset issue is, again, a data issue on their side.  Though, I should be able to fix this one so that it displays properly even if they end up fixing their side of things.

@Dogmeat: Regarding the titlebar timestamp, it uses a different API at https://timezonedb.com/.  Are you able to reach this site?  The feature seems to work fine for me.

The Tramp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #391 on: March 29, 2016, 09:50 AM »
The bloody frustrating thing is that the data bugs are actually API bugs on Yahoo!'s side, i.e., they're not sWeather bugs.  Of course, some I can fix with math (Feels Like temp always reporting in Fahrenheit, for instance) but what happens if Yahoo! fix their side?

I see....

Now that you mention, on the status bar it says, when I hove the mouse on the Feels like: Converted feels like 147 F when it shows 64 C

Same with pressure: Converted barometer 982.00 in and steady.

M0g13r

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #392 on: March 29, 2016, 03:52 PM »
on win7 everything is fine

on winXP
capture06 - 29.03.2016.jpgRelease: sWeather (tray-based weather app)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #393 on: March 29, 2016, 04:27 PM »
The bloody frustrating thing is that the data bugs are actually API bugs on Yahoo!'s side,

If just calling a few APIs are this much fun just imagine a few years from now when most everything will run in the cloud!  Ughh.   :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #394 on: March 29, 2016, 10:37 PM »
Workarounds for new Yahoo! Weather API inconsistencies.   >:(

Website | Download
v1.6.0 - 2016-03-28
    ! Several fixes related to bad or different data coming from the new Yahoo!
      API.
        - Barometric pressure readings should now be correct.  Hey, I learned
          what a hectopascal is.  Thanks, Yahoo!.  =\
        - "Feels Like" temp should now be correct when using metric units.
        - Fixed Sunrise/Sunset times missing a trailing zero.  WTH, Yahoo!?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #395 on: March 30, 2016, 01:33 AM »
That looks much better, thanks for fixing the Yahoo F*ckups :Thmbsup:

qbic

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #396 on: March 30, 2016, 05:31 AM »
Hi, just registered to thank you for a great application and quick solving of the problem with the API.
I've been using sWeather for months now and it's really great little app.
Regarding alternative weather providers someone mentioned earlier here are some that are available
on the main weather app i use on Android:

- Open Weather Map
- Foreca
- Yr.no

Not that I have any complaints what so ever with the current provider, just thought i could chip in some info.
The app is free and have a lot of users so i think there is no problem with large amount of daily requests since everything works just fine.
Oh yeah, i noticed a small bug. For a couple of cities on my list sunset time is 7:70pm and 7:80pm :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #397 on: March 30, 2016, 10:45 AM »
Hi, qbic, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.   :)

Hi, just registered to thank you for a great application and quick solving of the problem with the API.
I've been using sWeather for months now and it's really great little app.

Thank you for your kind words.   :)

Regarding alternative weather providers someone mentioned earlier here are some that are available
on the main weather app i use on Android:

- Open Weather Map
- Foreca
- Yr.no

Not that I have any complaints what so ever with the current provider, just thought i could chip in some info.
The app is free and have a lot of users so i think there is no problem with large amount of daily requests since everything works just fine.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I have checked into those sites before and their free tiers of their APIs (if they even have one) are limited.  What I'm saying is that, even if an app is free, the authors might be paying for better API access and, possibly, making up the costs in ad revenue.  I honestly don't know.  The cost of some APIs are waaay up there.  We're talking hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of dollars per month.   :o

Writing freeware is a hobby for me and all of my software is ad-free and bundle-free.  Other than very gratefully accepting donations, I don't do anything to monetise my software.  In fact, I've gone the rounds with certain software sites that have, without my permission, bundled my software with their toolbars, installers, and other garbage.  CNet, I'm looking at you.   >:(  The fact is, sWeather just doesn't get enough donations to justify me paying for any kind of API access.  I truly hope I don't come across as crying about this; that wasn't my intention.  Again, writing freeware is a labour of love for me and I really enjoy doing it.   :D

Oh yeah, i noticed a small bug. For a couple of cities on my list sunset time is 7:70pm and 7:80pm :)

Fixed, thank you.

Website | Download
v1.6.1 - 2016-03-30
    ! Another fix for the incorrect Sunrise/Sunset times.  (Thanks, qbic)

Brothbeard

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #398 on: March 31, 2016, 04:59 AM »
Hi,

I've just downloaded the latest version in the hope that things would start working again and the .exe file has been gobbled up by Norton Internet Security which complains that it is monitoring my keyboard. Since it's never done this with previous versions, I am puzzled. Is there anything I (or indeed you) can do? I'm running XP SP3.

lotra

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #399 on: March 31, 2016, 06:50 AM »
@ Brothbeard
In a 16 years of computing I have never seen piece of software (except for the malware, of course) that caused more problems than various Norton programs. That's just a side note, :) author will surely have better answer for your problem.

Anyway, new sWeather is working fine on my 2 machines with XP and Win7. Thanks for such a quick update, skwire!  8)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:56 AM by lotra »