topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)  (Read 471245 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)
« Reply #525 on: July 22, 2017, 04:04 PM »
Trying with Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

:-* :P

I got it I got it !!!!!!!!!
Wonderful indeed !

sWeather from Skwire

http://imagizer.imag...g923/1164/h1aiBh.png
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 04:11 PM by Contro »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #526 on: July 22, 2017, 04:22 PM »
I'm glad you find it useful, Contro.   :)

Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Beautiful part of the world.  =]   :Thmbsup:

shin_hibiki

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #527 on: October 02, 2017, 11:28 PM »
Hi, please forgive the noobness.  In looking for a new tray app, I found some recommendations for this one.  Unzipped it, tried to search for a location, and... nothing happens.  Is it broken?  Is my brain just broken?  It looks so straightforward!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #528 on: October 03, 2017, 12:08 AM »
Hi, please forgive the noobness.  In looking for a new tray app, I found some recommendations for this one.  Unzipped it, tried to search for a location, and... nothing happens.  Is it broken?  Is my brain just broken?  It looks so straightforward!

sWeather works fine for me under Windows 7.  Which operating system are you using?  Also, if you're running it from a UAC-protected folder, try running it as admin (or running it from a non-UAC-protected folder).

shin_hibiki

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #529 on: October 03, 2017, 10:57 PM »

sWeather works fine for me under Windows 7.  Which operating system are you using?  Also, if you're running it from a UAC-protected folder, try running it as admin (or running it from a non-UAC-protected folder).

UAC seems to have been the problem there.  Unfortunately, it still won't "Start with Windows" despite the option being checked.  (Win7-64, BTW.)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #530 on: October 03, 2017, 11:59 PM »
You might have to create your own shortcut to sWeather.exe and manually move it to your Startup folder.

shin_hibiki

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #531 on: October 04, 2017, 12:46 AM »
Looks like I got it now.  Deleted and re-created the config files and whatnot just in case.  Looking forward to using it--now to install it on my other machine!   :Thmbsup:

LEDAdd1ct

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #532 on: November 23, 2017, 09:44 AM »
Hello!  Thank you so much for this awesome program. 

It is so lightweight and nimble!

I wanted to ask a few questions:

1)  Is it correct that Yahoo! only updates the weather in the data that feeds this utility once every hour?

2)  I would like to dedicate a computer to use this program 100% of the time and show this information. 

a)  In the mornings, the monitor would come out of idle and power on, probably between 5:30 A.M. and 8:00 A.M. while getting ready for work, and again in the evenings from 5:00 P.M. to 10:00 P.M.

b)  I would love it if there was the ability to make this program fill the entire screen, with all the texts/fonts/little icon graphics resizing dynamically as you increase its size, or, simply making a "full screen option" where the exact same data fills the screen, just much, much larger so that you can see it from far away, across the whole room. 

c)  Would this be a difficult feature to add?  It's so, so very clean and simple.  Making this fill the screen would be amazing!

Thank you for all your hard work!  :-)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #533 on: November 23, 2017, 02:26 PM »
1)  Is it correct that Yahoo! only updates the weather in the data that feeds this utility once every hour?

Yes.  Some locations, it's once every two hours.   >:(

b)  I would love it if there was the ability to make this program fill the entire screen, with all the texts/fonts/little icon graphics resizing dynamically as you increase its size, or, simply making a "full screen option" where the exact same data fills the screen, just much, much larger so that you can see it from far away, across the whole room. 

c)  Would this be a difficult feature to add?  It's so, so very clean and simple.  Making this fill the screen would be amazing!

Yes, it would require quite a bit of code to do that plus the icons and such would not scale well at all.  It might be easier to find another weather app that is more geared toward full-screen usage.  Ghacks had an article a while back with a few that might fit the bill for you.

https://www.ghacks.n...rograms-for-windows/

Weather Channel Desktop and YoWindow, in particular.

LEDAdd1ct

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #534 on: November 24, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Thank you!  :-)

I will check those out. 

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #535 on: January 02, 2018, 09:32 PM »
Is it possible for it to display severe alerts and a radar image for the location that is being shown by it? If so, please add an option to do that.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 09:40 PM by Zero3K »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #536 on: January 02, 2018, 09:33 PM »
Is it possible for it to display severe alerts for the location that is being shown by it? If so, please add an option to do that.

IIRC, that information is not in the RSS feeds that power sWeather.  Apologies.

Zero3K

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #537 on: January 02, 2018, 11:30 PM »
How about using AerisWeather's API instead of Yahoo's?

EDIT: Nevermind, its not free.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:20 AM by Zero3K »

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #538 on: January 16, 2018, 08:05 PM »
How do I hide the tray condition? I only need the temp.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #539 on: January 16, 2018, 08:11 PM »

Only the temperature icon can be hidden.

HideTrayCondition

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #540 on: February 08, 2018, 07:50 PM »

Only the temperature icon can be hidden.

I embarked upon a hunt for a systray weather app today and came across this one.  Functions as desired, but please allow my username to serve as an enhancement request...really that's the main functionality i was going after (no condition, just temp).   :) :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #541 on: February 14, 2018, 08:28 PM »
I embarked upon a hunt for a systray weather app today and came across this one.  Functions as desired, but please allow my username to serve as an enhancement request...really that's the main functionality i was going after (no condition, just temp).   :) :Thmbsup:
-HideTrayCondition (February 08, 2018, 07:50 PM)

I changed this in the latest version (v1.7.0):

Website | Download
v1.7.0 - 2018-02-14
    * Made the temperature icon the default and made the weather condition icon optional.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #542 on: February 15, 2018, 01:07 PM »
Made the temperature icon the default and made the weather condition icon optional.

Well, the disadvantage of this change is that the temperature icon now gets hidden if you're not showing all systray icons. The weather condition icon is now the only icon I can make visible permanently, in that configuration. I'm on Windows 10, and the temperature icon isn't available in the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" configuration screen (just like the weather condition icon wasn't there in the previous version). Haven't tried that setting on Win7 (yet), and I don't want to show all systray icons (way too many, uninteresting icons that can't be hidden in another way, AFAIC).
Is there a way you can make the 'main' icon to use configurable, and the secondary optional? (I actually have them both enabled, but only one is visible all the time)

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #543 on: February 16, 2018, 05:11 AM »
-HideTrayCondition (February 08, 2018, 07:50 PM)

I changed this in the latest version (v1.7.0):

Website | Download
v1.7.0 - 2018-02-14
    * Made the temperature icon the default and made the weather condition icon optional.

Thank you!

Now we just need DjPete (Celsuis) icons that go above 48.ico so they can be used for F degrees.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #544 on: February 18, 2018, 02:17 PM »
Well, the disadvantage of this change is that the temperature icon now gets hidden if you're not showing all systray icons. The weather condition icon is now the only icon I can make visible permanently, in that configuration. I'm on Windows 10, and the temperature icon isn't available in the "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" configuration screen (just like the weather condition icon wasn't there in the previous version). Haven't tried that setting on Win7 (yet), and I don't want to show all systray icons (way too many, uninteresting icons that can't be hidden in another way, AFAIC).

Apologies, Ath.  I figured there might be some fallout from this.

Is there a way you can make the 'main' icon to use configurable, and the secondary optional? (I actually have them both enabled, but only one is visible all the time)

There is actually a technical reason for this right now and it boils down to an old ANSI library I use to get that second tray icon displayed.  In other words, the temperature icon is the native one you get with any AHK script and the conditions icon is provided by this third-party library.  The library seems to work fine in Unicode AHK except for the tray icon tooltip.  Basically, it only shows the first letter of the specified tooltip string so I've disabled the tooltip in current build for that extra icon.  You might have noticed that the tooltip only shows when you hover over the temperature icon (before the tray changes I made, it showed only on the conditions icon).  I've tried to fix the library function to work properly for Unicode strings but that sort of thing really isn't in my wheelhouse.  If I could get this library working with Unicode strings, I could fix it how you like.  I mean, I could make it work how you want right now but there won't be any tooltip when you hover over the tray (and I know I'd get bug reports about it).  I'll do some thinking and see if I can make it work using a primary/secondary approach like you suggest.

Now we just need DjPete (Celsuis) icons that go above 48.ico so they can be used for F degrees.

I made a DjPete fahrenheit version for you in the latest release:  http://www.dcmembers...her-v1-7-1-released/

Biffle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #545 on: April 29, 2018, 07:43 AM »
The times of the sunrises and sunsets are very great, it would be very nice, if they were here as well:

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #546 on: April 30, 2018, 06:46 PM »
The times of the sunrises and sunsets are very great, it would be very nice, if they were here as well:

Unfortunately, that data isn't available in the data feeds that Yahoo! Weather provide.   :(

Biffle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #547 on: May 01, 2018, 01:36 AM »
Oops, I hadn't supposed that. Because there are other services offering such data. OK, but Yahoo does not.

Many thanks
Windows 10 Home, 64bit

Biffle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #548 on: May 15, 2018, 02:27 PM »
May be that data could be taken from soemwhere else?

From http://www.suncalc.net/ or such.
Windows 10 Home, 64bit

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #549 on: May 18, 2018, 09:49 AM »
May be that data could be taken from soemwhere else?
From http://www.suncalc.net/ or such.

I don't think that site has an API to pull data from.  In any case, doing so would mean I'd have to make the sWeather window bigger to fit the sunrise/sunset data and I really do not want to do that.