topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)  (Read 471196 times)

kevlar_heart42

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)
« Reply #500 on: January 10, 2017, 09:27 AM »
Welcome to 2017!

I am having intermittent problems as other have stated: sWeather goes "blank" at times, reporting NO DATA for all locations (even Codyville!). I have found that a few refresh attempts restores the data. As I have no working knowledge of the Yahoo API, I am wondering if the call out (polling) to Yahoo is persistent enough to insure connection. Hey, it's only a weather program (and a fine one too), but it's just a thought.

Many thanks for the effort.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #501 on: January 10, 2017, 09:29 AM »
I am having intermittent problems as other have stated: sWeather goes "blank" at times, reporting NO DATA for all locations (even Codyville!).
-kevlar_heart42 (January 10, 2017, 09:27 AM)

I've noticed this as well and it's a Yahoo! Weather API issue.   >:(  Unfortunately, I can't do anything about it.    :(

Dogmeat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #502 on: January 13, 2017, 12:54 PM »
I am having intermittent problems as other have stated: sWeather goes "blank" at times, reporting NO DATA for all locations (even Codyville!).
-kevlar_heart42 (January 10, 2017, 09:27 AM)

I've noticed this as well and it's a Yahoo! Weather API issue.   >:(  Unfortunately, I can't do anything about it.    :(

Does the auto-refresh timer reset when you manually refresh? The data loads properly when you manually refresh, so thinking maybe the auto-refresh is not waiting long enough for Yahoo (or whatever it is going to be called) to send the requested data? I noticed that there is a very pregnant pause when you manually refresh.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #503 on: January 13, 2017, 01:08 PM »
Well, the Yahoo service has been very flaky for several weeks now, where earlier sWeather just refreshed fine. I'm also hoping that Yahoo gets its act together and just serves the data stable.

kevlar_heart42

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #504 on: January 25, 2017, 09:34 AM »
As of 2017-01-25, my sWeather isn't updating and it's interesting that the header says Thursday, January 1, 0:00 AM...so it's gone back all the way to 2015. Interesting. I'll give reinstallation a shot
sWeather.JPGRelease: sWeather (tray-based weather app)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #505 on: January 25, 2017, 09:44 AM »
It is still the Yahoo service playing havock with all its users >:(
It seems that the server hosting the service is in a bootloop, providing service for a few minutes and then restarting all over again :down:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #506 on: January 25, 2017, 04:33 PM »
As of 2017-01-25, my sWeather isn't updating and it's interesting that the header says Thursday, January 1, 0:00 AM...so it's gone back all the way to 2015. Interesting. I'll give reinstallation a shot
-kevlar_heart42 (January 25, 2017, 09:34 AM)

As Ath said, this behaviour is the the result of the Yahoo! site acting up.  Please don't bother reinstalling sWeather as that's not going to fix things.  Rest assured that, if the API changes, I'll do my best to fix things but this isn't one of those times.  There is nothing you can do except be patient with the Yahoo! service.

Mimori

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #507 on: February 23, 2017, 11:50 AM »
I've spotted a particularly interesting issue. It goes like this:

• If the program is started while the system display is set to '16-bit High Colour', then the icons for 'Powered by Yahoo!', 'Click to View the Next Location', 'Click to view the Previous Location', 'Click to Refresh Weather Data', and 'Click to Show the Expanded View', all have a solid black field around them (as depicted in the first attached image). No other icons exhibit that behaviour.
  • If the display is then changed from '16-bit High Colour' to '32-bit True Colour' while the program is still running, the problem described above still remains as it is until the program is closed and re-run, at which point everything is normal.
  • If the program is started while the system display is set to '32-bit True Colour', and it is changed to '16-bit High Colour' while the program is still running, the problem never manifests (as depicted in the second attached image). If the program is closed and re-run, the problem appears as described in the first bullet point.

Most people will probably never encounter this problem, but I thought it was worth pointing out since there are some circumstances (however rare that circumstance may be -- for example, maybe on Windows Embedded with a display adapter that uses shared video memory) where the program may be started while the display is at 16-bit depth, and then a person will see that problem.

Location in the example images is chosen randomly.

sWeather-16bitdepth-01.pngRelease: sWeather (tray-based weather app)sWeather-16bitdepth-02.pngRelease: sWeather (tray-based weather app)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:59 AM by Mimori »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #508 on: February 23, 2017, 12:44 PM »
This is due to the fact that sWeather uses 32-bit PNG and ICO files with transparency.  If the user's computer is set to 16-bit colour, they will not display properly (as you discovered).

totya

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #509 on: March 16, 2017, 04:20 PM »
Hi!

Thanks for this great app. Today I try this app (version is 1.6.8 b1), but this doesn't work correctly, because the curent temperature higher than needed.

For example, My place is Miskolc (town) in Hungary. In this app the current temperature is 12C. But this isn't true. If I click to "full forecast" from this app, this link open in the web browser: link and it show the correct temperature, which is now 5C.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #510 on: March 16, 2017, 10:23 PM »
Hi, totya, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.

In this app the current temperature is 12C. But this isn't true. If I click to "full forecast" from this app, this link open in the web browser: link and it show the correct temperature, which is now 5C.

The issue is that sWeather gets its data from the Yahoo! Weather API and the Yahoo! Weather website does not.  For whatever reason, the website gets its data from Weather.com.

totya

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #511 on: March 17, 2017, 09:19 AM »
Hi!

Thanks for this answer, but I'm not sure this is the problem, because weather.com show the correct temperature:

weather.com

I returned from work, and now 1 see 0 C, and this is too bad, because the temperature here is 13 C. In this app status bar I see this:

"Last provider update was at 03:00 AM CET". As I remember I always see this...

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #512 on: March 17, 2017, 11:19 AM »
"Last provider update was at 03:00 AM CET". As I remember I always see this...

If that's the case, it unfortunately looks like the Yahoo! Weather API only gets updates for your location once per day.

totya

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #513 on: March 17, 2017, 11:32 AM »
Hi!

Thanks for this answer!

Daily refresh is unusable :(

This app can handle other weather info API somehow?

Edit.: Not much before, the temperature is changed:

"Last provider update was at 05:00 PM CET"
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:42 AM by totya »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #514 on: March 17, 2017, 11:51 AM »
Daily refresh is unusable :(

Agreed.

This app can handle other weather info API somehow?

No.  All the other weather APIs I've researched are very limited in what they offer for free.

"Last provider update was at 05:00 PM CET"

So, it is every two hours.  Unfortunately, this is the standard for the Yahoo! Weather API these days.

totya

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #515 on: March 17, 2017, 01:08 PM »
Thanks for the answers!

So, it is every two hours.  Unfortunately, this is the standard for the Yahoo! Weather API these days.

Isn't really, because my last report is PM, and the first report is AM.

Edit:

Now the weather report refreshed is 07 pm CET, now it is two hours differents really...

Edit 2:

Today morning at CET 10:00:00 (AM) the last provider update is CET 07:00 PM...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 11:07 AM by totya »

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #516 on: June 13, 2017, 07:16 AM »
Over the last two days, found Full Forecast and Radar link issues: 1) The former's page (http://us.rd.yahoo.com) times-out (server not responding?), 2) The later (weather.com) doesn't load the radar (page script change?).

I'm running v 1.6.8 build 1.

Everything else seems fine as before.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #517 on: June 13, 2017, 12:04 PM »
Over the last two days, found Full Forecast and Radar link issues: 1) The former's page (http://us.rd.yahoo.com) times-out (server not responding?), 2) The later (weather.com) doesn't load the radar (page script change?).
-Midnight Rambler (June 13, 2017, 07:16 AM)

Thank you for the report; the full forecast links should be fixed.  However, the radar links appear to work for me.  Some were a bit slow in coming up, but they did work.  With all the Yahoo! changes lately, I often wonder how long I'll be able to keep this app working.  =]

Website | Download
v1.6.9 - 2017-06-13
    ! "Full forecast" links were broken.  (Thanks, Midnight Rambler)

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #518 on: June 13, 2017, 05:58 PM »
Thanks for fixing the forecast link.  The radar page still doesn't load (as it used to) and I'm thinking that it's because weather.com is just another site that won't work with Firefox or Firefox with certain plugins.  That's becoming more common.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

NunoEspadinha

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #519 on: July 20, 2017, 06:39 AM »
What is wrong with Yahoo???? the weather temperature is always wrong... I live in Dubai, just checked cos i was finding strange what it was giving me.. you can check at the major sites for yourself:
Google weather - 42 degrees
Accuweather -43 degrees
Yahoo - 36 degrees.....

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #520 on: July 20, 2017, 07:19 AM »
What is wrong with Yahoo???? the weather temperature is always wrong... I live in Dubai, just checked cos i was finding strange what it was giving me.. you can check at the major sites for yourself:
Google weather - 42 degrees
Accuweather -43 degrees
Yahoo - 36 degrees.....
-NunoEspadinha (July 20, 2017, 06:39 AM)

I gave up on sWeather in the past, because yahoo weather was so inaccurate for my location - FWIW I just tried it again and it's working correctly i.e. yahoo weather is reporting accurately
Tom

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #521 on: July 20, 2017, 12:40 PM »
it's working correctly i.e. yahoo weather is reporting accurately
I've been using it nearly since day 1, and the yahoo service has been flakey a lot over time, but the last couple of months the service is quite stable and the forecasts are reasonably accurate.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #522 on: July 20, 2017, 12:44 PM »
but the last couple of months the service is quite stable and the forecasts are reasonably accurate.

Agreed.  Inaccuracies aside, it has been more stable in recent months.

NunoEspadinha

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #523 on: July 20, 2017, 04:13 PM »
Yeah, don't take me wrong.. i love the program.. it's great.. i am just sad that Yahoo is normally wrong on my area..

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #524 on: July 20, 2017, 04:15 PM »
Yeah, don't take me wrong.. i love the program.. it's great.. i am just sad that Yahoo is normally wrong on my area..
-NunoEspadinha (July 20, 2017, 04:13 PM)

No offense taken whatsoever.   :D  I'm sorry the data for your area is incorrect.   :mad: