topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Is there a right-click menu tool to quickly resize images?  (Read 15126 times)

deano

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is there a right-click menu tool to quickly resize images?
« on: February 06, 2011, 03:15 PM »
Has anyone written a bit of software where I can right-click on an images file and then hover over a "Resize to..." option (or similar) which then reveals common file size options e.g 640 x 480, 800 x 600 etc and user-defined choices.

I often use software that outputs images to set sizes and I then have to open them in IrfanView and then click the various menu options to get the job done.  I already use an old program called Picaview for quick previewing and filetype conversion - it's just missing an option to resize.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is there a right-click menu tool to quickly resize images?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 03:28 PM »
Has anyone written a bit of software where I can right-click on an images file and then hover over a "Resize to..." option (or similar) which then reveals common file size options e.g 640 x 480, 800 x 600 etc and user-defined choices.

I often use software that outputs images to set sizes and I then have to open them in IrfanView and then click the various menu options to get the job done.  I already use an old program called Picaview for quick previewing and filetype conversion - it's just missing an option to resize.

I've written a simple program, but it has no context menu integration with Windows Explorer. It's Photo Resizer in this thread. You can drag & drop a photo onto the desktop icon then resize it.

Not quite what you asked about, but it's very simple.

One other thing -- there are no presets. Resizing is visual with the size slider.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 03:36 PM »
doesnt the ms image resizer "power toy" work via the context menu?
I havent tried it so dont know if it fulfills your wishlist...

https://www.microsof...oys/xppowertoys.mspx
Tom

deano

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 04:16 PM »
doesnt the ms image resizer "power toy" work via the context menu?
I havent tried it so dont know if it fulfills your wishlist...

https://www.microsof...oys/xppowertoys.mspx

Good suggestion, however image resizer is XP only and I'm using Windows 2000 and Windows 7  :(

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 04:23 PM »
I've written a simple program, but it has no context menu integration with Windows Explorer.
It's not hard to add a simple context menu entry for a particular file type/extension.

Use the Folder Options dialog, File Type tab, navigate to the various file types by extension (.jpg, .bmp, .png, .gif, etc) and use the Advanced tab to add a menu entry:  name of entry and file to run, usually with a "%1" parameter to pass the name of the file to the executable - keep the quotes to allow for filenames with spaces.

If you don't see an Advanced tab, but instead a Restore tab, there's an extra step and a caution.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 04:26 PM »
Another option: For XP I always used the Microsoft Power Toy Photo Resizer. Right-click on file and resize. Can't get much simpler. And someone has re-invented Photo Resizer for Win7. Seems to work fine.

:)

On that last url...

About
This is a clone of the Image Resizer Powertoy for Windows XP -- a PowerToy that allows you to right-click on one or more image files in Windows Explorer to resize them. It was created (by me) to extend support to non-XP and 64-bit versions of Windows (including 2000, Vista & 7).
-http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:29 PM by hamradio »

deano

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 04:46 PM »

I often use software that outputs images to set sizes and I then have to open them in IrfanView and then click the various menu options to get the job done.  I already use an old program called Picaview for quick previewing and filetype conversion - it's just missing an option to resize.

I've written a simple program, but it has no context menu integration with Windows Explorer. It's Photo Resizer in this thread. You can drag & drop a photo onto the desktop icon then resize it.

Not quite what you asked about, but it's very simple.

One other thing -- there are no presets. Resizing is visual with the size slider.

Thanks, yes it's not what I asked for but really liked that.  It also works well with Quick Cliq.  I can't drag an image directly onto the shortcut icon though - is that what you meant?  I have to run the app, then drag the image onto the left-hand side.  
Nice bit of software which I will use - I certainly know a few people who would like something this simple.

deano

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 04:49 PM »
Another option: For XP I always used the Microsoft Power Toy Photo Resizer. Right-click on file and resize. Can't get much simpler. And someone has re-invented Photo Resizer for Win7. Seems to work fine.

:)

On that last url...

About
This is a clone of the Image Resizer Powertoy for Windows XP -- a PowerToy that allows you to right-click on one or more image files in Windows Explorer to resize them. It was created (by me) to extend support to non-XP and 64-bit versions of Windows (including 2000, Vista & 7).
-http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

Thanks, that might just do it!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Thanks, yes it's not what I asked for but really liked that.  It also works well with Quick Cliq.  I can't drag an image directly onto the shortcut icon though - is that what you meant?  I have to run the app, then drag the image onto the left-hand side. 
Nice bit of software which I will use - I certainly know a few people who would like something this simple.

No -- I meant that you *can* drag a photo directly onto the shortcut icon on the desktop. That opens the program with the photo loaded. You then need to either save it resized photo or to slide the slider to resize however you like, then save. Dragging & dropping onto the desktop icon just saves a step, making it a little bit easier.

deano

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 05:24 PM »
Thanks, yes it's not what I asked for but really liked that.  It also works well with Quick Cliq.  I can't drag an image directly onto the shortcut icon though - is that what you meant?  I have to run the app, then drag the image onto the left-hand side. 

No -- I meant that you *can* drag a photo directly onto the shortcut icon on the desktop. That opens the program with the photo loaded. You then need to either save it resized photo or to slide the slider to resize however you like, then save. Dragging & dropping onto the desktop icon just saves a step, making it a little bit easier.

I thought so but it doesn't work for me - not a big issue as I can start it really quickly and then it's right there for me to use.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 06:47 PM »
I thought so but it doesn't work for me - not a big issue as I can start it really quickly and then it's right there for me to use.

Hmmm... That's odd. What OS are you on? (I've not tested on Windows 2000 as it is not in the list of .NET 4 supported systems.)

deano

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 06:49 PM »

Hmmm... That's odd. What OS are you on? (I've not tested on Windows 2000 as it is not in the list of .NET 4 supported systems.)

Windows 7 Home.  I didn't see a shortcut created when I ran the exe so created my own...

I basically assume that most things won't run on Win 2000 anymore  :'(

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 07:09 PM »

Windows 7 Home.  I didn't see a shortcut created when I ran the exe so created my own...

I basically assume that most things won't run on Win 2000 anymore  :'(

Odd. There should be a desktop icon by default.

I checked, and that *should* work...

It will take me a bit to test as I don't have a Windows 7 Home VM setup yet. (Gotta hit MSDN & download first.)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 07:57 PM »
deano, this doesn't exactly match what you are looking for as far as a one click solution, but you may find it handy.  i used this program when I had to do a lot of fiddling with image sizes and what not when i first made my website.  Now, I just do it manually because I have more control for cropping in particular.  But check it out, I mentioned it in a thread here:
https://www.donation....msg121947#msg121947

The program is called Thumbnailer.

Oh!!  I totally forgot about a great program I bought several years ago and never used.  To answer my question above, there's a program called Thumbnailer that is amazing for this sort of thing.  And the last time I used it, they were on version 6 or something.  Now it's version 9.  It's awesome.  It can resize images just the way I was describing above with a couple of clicks.  Awesome awesome awesome!!

I highly recommend this program.  I remember researching similar programs back then, and this was hands down the most powerful, customizeable thumbnail creation program.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 12:55 AM »
Got the context menu done now:

https://www.donation....msg235608#msg235608

Screenshot - 2011-02-07 , 5_53_30 PM.png

That just opens up the program with the picture loaded. You still need to resize & save. It's 1 less step anyways.

Also, you can cycle through presets now. See the thread above for what they are & how (i.e. F2, F3, -, +)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 03:51 AM »
... I then have to open them in IrfanView and then click the various menu options to get the job done.  

I almost only use IrfanView, to resize normal-resolution pictures, because it is done so fast: "Ctrl+R > Alt+1 > Enter > Ctrl+S > Enter" = resized to 1024 pixels, and saved.

If you still want it to be done via the right-click context menu, CFi ShellToys of course has a fast way to do it.

IrfanView:

2011-02-07_102531.gif

CFi ShellToys:

resizeimages.png

« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:02 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 05:29 PM »
If you are not yet on Win 7, you can also see if you can find a copy of the old and forgotten Dropbox Image Processor. (But I wouldn't dare to trust Brothersoft's "version 3.62" - everybody else is talking as if version 1.02 was the last version!) It was listed as a $15 program:

Today's GiveAway is the fastest photo resizer I have tried
-Curt, 04 September 2007

Sadly, it is not even on the company's homepage any more.

Operating system: Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP/Vista/NT