topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Forum / Thread Etiquette  (Read 12693 times)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Forum / Thread Etiquette
« on: January 15, 2011, 10:51 AM »
Feels like I missed quite a few fiery threads here on DC in the past, but just recently there have been one or two instances that seem to me to contravene the spirit of the site.

Does DC have a set of unwritten rules about what is and is not acceptable? Maybe a set of written rules that I should have read when I joined but did not? (Much the same way as I gaily click "I agree to the terms of the license" radio button the moment it appears when installing software) ;)

I ask purely out of interest in the opinions of the fine DC population.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Forum / Thread Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 11:55 AM »
Does DC have a set of unwritten rules about what is and is not acceptable? Maybe a set of written rules that I should have read when I joined but did not? (Much the same way as I gaily click "I agree to the terms of the license" radio button the moment it appears when installing software) ;)

I dont know timns - but I dont think it would actually make much difference either way.

As you know,
things usually work nicely around here, but, yes, sometimes they dont. If they dont it's a challenge... I've been, eh, in "challenging" situations a few times - always a PIA but I think I have also learned a bit about myself too that way, FWIW (put it this way, sometimes I've rewritten my posts a lot before posting - luckily I'm not hasty with clicking [Post])

mouser always seems to be able to keep his cool - maybe I should try persuade him to do some coaching sessions :)
Tom

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 12:16 PM »

I dont know timns - but I dont think it would actually make much difference either way.

As you know,
things usually work nicely around here, but, yes, sometimes they dont. If they dont it's a challenge... I've been, eh, in "challenging" situations a few times - always a PIA but I think I have also learned a bit about myself too that way, FWIW (put it this way, sometimes I've rewritten my posts a lot before posting - luckily I'm not hasty with clicking [Post])

mouser always seems to be able to keep his cool - maybe I should try persuade him to do some coaching sessions :)

Good reply, Tom, thank you. Personally I like a good punch-up, but DC is quite a calming sort of place and I'm really enjoying this forum more than anywhere else I tend to hang out.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 12:21 PM »

yoda-cat.jpg

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 12:26 PM »
Feels like I missed quite a few fiery threads here on DC in the past, but just recently there have been one or two instances that seem to me to contravene the spirit of the site.

I think you handled the one situation that I saw a lot better than I would have.  There are some who are just abrasive, some intentionally, and some not.  I haven't always handled it in the best manner, especially when someone is trying to show that they are smarter than you at your expense.  Or some that obviously post under sock puppets.  But in the end, DC is a very good environment, and the ability to be a douche if you take advantage of the environment is one of the reasons- only extreme situations are really policed.

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 05:57 PM »

I think you handled the one situation that I saw a lot better than I would have.  There are some who are just abrasive, some intentionally, and some not.  I haven't always handled it in the best manner, especially when someone is trying to show that they are smarter than you at your expense.  Or some that obviously post under sock puppets.  But in the end, DC is a very good environment, and the ability to be a douche if you take advantage of the environment is one of the reasons- only extreme situations are really policed.

Who you calling a douche  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(   :wallbash:

I DEMAND RESPECT!

lmfao...just playin;

Yeah, some people can just be plain *insert own opinion* and dont seem to like to help people, or play nice with others...these are generally the people who you see posting "Go google it" or "RTFM!"

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 07:27 PM »
My view is, the longer you have been a DC member, the more you are expected to be polite and kind even in the face of withering attack :)
Long time members are expected to embrace the calming zen spirit of Cody the Bird.

I think it's also a matter of trying to avoid getting into the situations where everyone feels the burning need to have the last word or pile on.  The longer you are a member the more you should know that sometimes holding your tongue or taking the high road leads to a better experience for all of us.  And of course we have enough humour on this forum to survive anything :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:29 PM by mouser »

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 07:33 PM »
 :tease:

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 07:34 PM »
I mean... "what mouser said"

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Long time members are expected to embrace the calming zen spirit of Cody the Bird.
So… you're saying, um, what…  give people the bird?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 09:14 PM »
So… you're saying, um, what…  give people the bird?
-cranioscopical (January 15, 2011, 08:43 PM)

Overall, I'd say that DC is remarkably civil when you consider the size of the membership here (even if only 1% of all members participate in the forum there would be over 2000 unique personalities and worldviews here). I still say "bravo" to the whole community - fantastic, civil place to hang out  :Thmbsup:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 09:17 PM »
BTW, one of my all time favourite smileys:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 12:26 PM »
If I had a dime for every time I completely re-wrote much of my post, sometimes post- um... post.  :huh:

Also, if I had 17 cents for every time I wrote a response and then DIDN'T post because I either (A) figured out halfway through that I wasn't going to come across like I wanted to, (B) what I was writing was not going to further the topic, or (C) my snark gland was particularly over-active that day and I had the good sense to just skip it...  :P
That said, some days I feel great need to express some righteous 'geek rage' and I'm just grateful that the people and atmosphere here are as resilient as they are convivial.

I think much of the general tone of this place can be traced back to when this site was young; Mouser's presence and tact kind of set a mood to the forum that serendipitiously continued as like-minded and -tempered individuals showed up looking for a place to hang out.

Thanks Mouser, nice place you got here!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 12:28 PM by Edvard »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 01:37 PM »
To save myself from further exasperating situations, leading to my own embarrassment, I'd like to see a twit feature, if the forum doesn't have one already.  Please?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 02:16 PM »
What's a twit feature?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2011, 02:43 PM »
What's a twit feature?

The ability to filter out posts by specific people so you don't see them.  WikiPedia article Kill file:
A kill file (also killfile, bozo bin or twit list) is a per-user file used by some Usenet reading programs (originally Larry Wall's rn) to discard summarily (without presenting for reading) articles matching some unwanted patterns of subject, author, or other header lines.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Also known as a "bozo filter."

IMO not a generally good idea.  :)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2011, 03:31 PM »
Personally, I think for one or any member to have the ability to block all posts from one person (twit feature) would be the downfall of the good spirit of this site.

This site is working without that feature, by the willingness and cooperation of adults who can work things out or bite their tongue for wisdom's sake.

We take responsibility for our words and speak knowing we could be wrong.
Accept corrections and more perfect info in light of growth and learning.
That is the communication that would die a slow painful death.

I've seen sites go down in flames and still burning with flaming each other.
Silly stuff that becomes the way to post.

It hasn't happened here, why would we want something in place to stop something that doesn't exist here.

I know my posts are dry and could be taken wrong at times,
but there is no malice or ill will from me or any posts I've seen from anyone here.

The old saying-
'don't fix something that ain't broke'

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2011, 03:37 PM »
^ I agree.  While there may be sometimes the occasional poster that takes advantage of this more laid-back free wheeling style, it's what makes DoCo the type of place it is.  To try to police this would be the equivalent of putting in place the Patriot Act- kill freedoms in the interest of policing a few malcontents.  Not the kind of precedent I'd personally like.

jpijper

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 01:24 AM »
What's a twit feature?

RTFM ;)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 01:46 AM »
Personally, I think for one or any member to have the ability to block all posts from one person (twit feature) would be the downfall of the good spirit of this site.

My understanding is that twit filters are a per-user setting, so they wouldn't prevent the 'target' from posting.  It just would make it so that if (for example) I never wanted to read another thing that mouser wrote, I could have the system help me out with that instead of having to avert my eyes.

Since it's a personal setting, I see no particular problem with enabling it (no one can force anyone to read posts anyway).

Are they something else on DC's forum software?

On the other hand, I doubt it would be a much used feature on DC anyway. In my experience, even the worst devolution of threads here never even comes remotely close to what happens on some usenet groups.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 06:24 AM »
My understanding is that twit filters are a per-user setting, so they wouldn't prevent the 'target' from posting.  It just would make it so that if (for example) I never wanted to read another thing that mouser wrote, I could have the system help me out with that instead of having to avert my eyes.

That's exactly what I meant.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 06:28 AM »
I think it's also a matter of trying to avoid getting into the situations where everyone feels the burning need to have the last word or pile on.  The longer you are a member the more you should know that sometimes holding your tongue or taking the high road leads to a better experience for all of us.

At what point do you feel it right to stop fighting back against what one sees as bullies and misrepresentation?

And of course we have enough humour on this forum to survive anything

I cringe whenever I see a job ad that says "sense of humour required."  I interpret it as meaning they want you to be a doormat.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 07:35 AM »
My understanding is that twit filters are a per-user setting, so they wouldn't prevent the 'target' from posting.

Yes that is my understanding of it as well.

"Trolls" are what it's used on mostly.
I don't see much of them here.
I saw the 'china shoe person' though.
That was kind of funny...sort of.

I've also seen this feature used to post and block responses that should be heard by the blocker.
This is where words are used to one's own end without willing to take the responsible action of engaging thought and conversation with responses, whether there is agreement or not.

Two people who disagree can both be right as well, this can be understood in light of each one's understanding of the matter.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 07:48 AM »
I saw the 'china shoe person' though.
That was kind of funny...sort of.
That's spam, and will be dealt with accordingly - definitely not proper use of a killfile :)

IMHO killfile functionality doesn't belong on DC. The atmosphere is - most of the time - friendly and respectful, unlike on usenet (RIP?) where it's almost a necessity.
- carpe noctem