topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: List the crappiest websites you know here. (warning: potentially NSFW)  (Read 17023 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I figured I'd start this thread for myself.  I'm just going to list the shittiest websites I know of here.  This is purely for venting purposes, don't expect me to be rational here.  There are a couple of things that makes a website shitty:
1) Just being generally shitty.
2) Not only being shitty, but being so pervasive as to make the internet (as a whole) significantly more shitty also.

OK, here I go:

about.com
We all know and hate this website.  It tries to answer every question known to mankind, yet accomplishes so staggeringly little with that task.  In true shitty fashion, it makes sure to be at the top of any google search.
My bad, overreation.

Experts-exchange
Along the same lines, this website is masked as a helpful forum to answer all your geek questions.  Yet, they want a subscription to see any of their answers.  I've never seen nor had the need to see their answers, but I can safely assume that the answers are pretty shitty.  And even if they are not, the website is still shitty.

http://www.oracle.co...primavera/index.html
Primavera is the industry standard for scheduling software.  It's like MS Project on steroids.  Funny enough, when you visit the website, the word "schedule" does not appear on its front page.  Just the idea of that makes me laugh.  If you didn't know the program, you would have no idea what it does.  The first sentence states:
a leading provider of Project Portfolio Management (PPM) solutions for project-intensive industries.
WTF does that mean??  How do you not stick the word "schedule" in there somewhere???
Also, if you google "scheduling software", Primavera is nowhere to be found (on the first few pages, at least).  Very nice.

Ok, friends...join in the fun!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:29 PM by superboyac »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
about.com
We all know and hate this website.  It tries to answer every question known to mankind, yet accomplishes so staggeringly little with that task.  In true shitty fashion, it makes sure to be at the top of any google search.

delphi.about.com is actually quite useful. (I guess that would be the exception huh?)

If the rest of about.com were like this particular subdomain, it wouldn't be on your list.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How could I not mention the most notoriously crap site of them all- SUPER ©.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Experts-exchange you can see the answers if you visit the site via google search results. Some are actually good but as far as 'business model' goes it's pretty much anti-spirit-of-internet

A bad site in my view is something like godaddy.com, when trying to buy or manage a domain, a mish mash of extra options and extra screens just to get to where you want to go.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I absolutely HATE fixya.

Krishean

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • I like pie
    • View Profile
    • Draconis Labs
    • Donate to Member
weather.com, if you view source on any of their pages its apparent they have a horde of programmers that have no idea what they are doing, its a mish-mash of coding styles all cobbled together, and its a wonder it loads at all

they should fire their entire programming staff and hire a team of monkeys, their pages would load faster and contain less 3rd party code

edit: it looks like they have switched most things to yahoo-ui, but its still a mess, they have a ridiculous amount of extra newlines, and the code formatting is terrible, there might as well be no formatting at all
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

- Arthur C. Clarke
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:41 PM by Krishean »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Experts-exchange you can see the answers if you visit the site via google search results. Some are actually good but as far as 'business model' goes it's pretty much anti-spirit-of-internet

Does that still work?  I'd read somewhere that this was because of the way that google cached the site, but they'd complained and google stopped caching certain sites.

A bad site in my view is something like godaddy.com, when trying to buy or manage a domain, a mish mash of extra options and extra screens just to get to where you want to go.

That doesn't bother me because they put a button there to stop annoying you and go to checkout.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Does that still work?  I'd read somewhere that this was because of the way that google cached the site, but they'd complained and google stopped caching certain sites.

They got slapped by Google for cloaking. In order to stay in the index, they have to show Google users the same page that gets shown to the Googlebot.

You can also reach the full content if you change your browser's useragent to match that of the Googlebot. (firefox users can do that easily with this) This means you can bookmark pages and go back to them later, and see the same thing you did the first time.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Has anyone seen this "Donation Coding" website? I believe the website address is www.donationcoder.com

;)  :-* :-* :-*

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member

I think all you've ever had to do is scroll to the bottom of the page to see the solutions.

Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I think all you've ever had to do is scroll to the bottom of the page to see the solutions.

Quite true, and there is frequently some very good (expert...) info - saved my ass more than a few times - but outside of what is chosen to "share" (try a search) you quickly get hit with their rather staggering membership fee...Yikes!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Experts Exchange recently changed again. (Checked them a couple days ago.) Now they've got a big  DIV covering the answer... Anyone feel like breaking out Firebug and doing some HTML editing just to view a page? Didn't think so... I generally just skip over EE now and look for other sites. They have some good content, but then again so does Stack Overflow.

It's about time that they got spanked for cloaking.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
Re: List the crappiest websites you know here. (warning: potentially NSFW)
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 07:13 AM »
Now they've got a big  DIV covering the answer...

When I scroll down, the solutions are visible.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 07:25 AM »
for experts-exchange using noscript in firefox, or using a javascript-uninfected web browser, also works to see the answers.

ps: did you know their domain name used to be expertSexChange.com? (emphasis mine) :D

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Experts-Exchange
Originally, the name and URL of the site was expertsexchange.com but this created confusion and ridicule as many users interpreted it as Expert-Sex-Change as opposed to Experts-Exchange. Subsequently, the domain was changed to experts-exchange.com.[19]

:D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 07:54 AM »
ps: did you know their domain name used to be ExpertSexChange.com? (emphasis mine)
...Because nobody wants to have their winky modified by an amature.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Here's a typical shitty description for (surprise!) a corporate type of software:
Wave Systems' EMBASSY Trust Suite (ETS) delivers advanced levels of security to the client PC using the TPM security chip found on most enterprise PCs today. ETS 7 features a variety of secure business productivity capabilities with an easy-to-use security center and is compatible with all TCG-Compliant secure hardware platforms.

ETS 7 includes multifactor strong authentication support for hardware-secured Windows login using fingerprints, smart cards, TPMs and passwords. ETS 7 also provides data protection, password management, TPM management, and TPM key backup/recovery. ETS 7 integrates with Wave's enterprise servers for domain-based strong authentication, for enterprise level key management, and for remote administration of Trusted Drives and TPM systems.

For systems containing self-encrypting hard drives, the EMBASSY Security Center includes the Trusted Drive Manager to activate and manage the drive’s hardware-based full disk encryption. (For more information on EMBASSY Trusted Drive Manager, please contact Wave Sales at [email protected].)
So what does it do?  Why do I want it?  How much?  See there at the end?  They just want you to call them.  All that nonsense description stuff is just fluff.  They really just want you to call them so they can send a rep down to you to try to make you buy some overpriced software that can probably be done better by some little freeware utility out there.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 11:38 AM »
about.com
We all know and hate this website.  It tries to answer every question known to mankind, yet accomplishes so staggeringly little with that task.  In true shitty fashion, it makes sure to be at the top of any google search.
Well, I don't know much about most of the about.com sites, but spanish.about.com is pretty useful.  It certainly doesn't belong on a "worst websites" list.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 11:45 AM »
i've seen lots of good info on about.com pages; in fact i'd go so far as to say it's one of the rare cases where i get the feeling that the people maintaining the pages actually care about providing good and useful information.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 01:28 PM »
i've seen lots of good info on about.com pages; in fact i'd go so far as to say it's one of the rare cases where i get the feeling that the people maintaining the pages actually care about providing good and useful information.
Ok, yes, mouser is right.  I have come across some good info there.  I guess my complaint is more with the presentation...it's borderline annoying to me.  Ok ok...I think i was a little hard on about.com.  My main complaint is that, yes, there's pretty decent information there, but not the definitive kind of information that a real expert would give.  It's more like an overview.  Also, another thing that bothers me is that their links are always very prominent in google searches, and other more helpful articles will not be so easy to find.  It's not about's fault, so I shouldn't say they are shitty.  I'll revise that.  My bad.  Overreaction.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 04:21 PM »
http://dhanti.com/ad...toughbook-c1-review/
What a typically shitty review.  It's titled "Advantages and Disadvantages of Panasonic Toughbook C1 (Review)" yet there is nothing in the article that talks about advantages or disadvantages.  NOTHING!!  What is happening?!  The internet is going to turn into 4chan.

Here's my analysis of this particular site.  This can be applied to just about 90% of the sites out there today:
screenshot_20100902141531.pngList the crappiest websites you know here.  (warning: potentially NSFW)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 11:47 PM »
I actually have an account with Experts Exchange, though I am not sure it is still active. Way back when I joined most people didn't have to pay anything but instead could collect "points" for providing selected answers/solutions. Of course it was kinda like S&H Green Stamps - I remember seeing something like "You now have 550 points toward your Expert goal of 6,000,000,000 points." However whenever I clicked on a Google search result and ended up there I could always log in and see all the replies/answers. I don’t know if that is still the case though.

As for About.com, I have seen some marginally helpful pages but TBH most of the time their "experts" aren't really that at all and instead have a page full of very broad brush summary information. I have only seen a few comprehensive categories there.

Thank you.

Jim

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 09:07 PM »
Posted earlier about godaddy...for one of my old domains I have as contact a @canada.com address. @canada.com email is shutting down in a few weeks.

Please someone try and edit your email (registrant, administrator, etc.) on godaddy. Still can't do it, some gibberish about a 'preset profile'. I hope it's me who is dumb because otherwise  ::)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2010, 11:34 AM »
(On a positive note I tweeted about it and @godaddy replied to my tweet)

sazzen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok, yes, mouser is right.  I have come across some good info there.  I guess my complaint is more with the presentation...it's borderline annoying to me.  Ok ok...I think i was a little hard on about.com.  My main complaint is that, yes, there's pretty decent information there, but not the definitive kind of information that a real expert would give.  It's more like an overview.  Also, another thing that bothers me is that their links are always very prominent in google searches, and other more helpful articles will not be so easy to find.  It's not about's fault, so I shouldn't say they are shitty.  I'll revise that.  My bad.  Overreaction.
I'm late to the party as always. Just wanted to put in 2 cents.  I started using about.com when I found my grammar wasn't quite as perfect as I'd long believed it to be. They were very helpful.  Now may grammar is perfect :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
This has got to be the crappiest website I've ever seen. I'd forgotten about it years ago but this thread made me remember it.

THANKS A LOT! >:(

http://www.doodie.com/

This could scar you for life. You have been warned.
But tub girl is worse. If you don't know what it is, please don't even google it. If you can't stop your curiosity, then just read about it from Wikipedia or someplace rather than having to actually see it.

EDIT: And just to clarify, doodie.com is relatively safe for viewing (but maybe NSFW), being just generally a lot of "bathroom humor." What's in the spoiler, however, is absolutely disgusting and horrifying.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 04:00 PM by Deozaan »