topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:26 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: chrome getting extensions makes even more evident why Opera doesn't get it  (Read 23259 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
even adblock seems to be functioning (I don't use chrome much) at least on linux:

http://www.chromeext...functioning/adblock/

chrome getting extensions makes even more evident why Opera doesn't get it. Pretty much every other browser does support them. I don't use Opera anymore, but I'm just amazed that management could be this clueless. The audiences are screaming 'extensions!' and they don't hear it... no wonder their market quota is diminishing. A pity, because they are trully innovative in other aspects.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I second that emotion. I have long loved Opera on Linux and Win, but I see it falling behind since their kickass version 9, and it's all because of extensions. It's what people want. Extensions are like building sidewalks where people have trod paths, rather than building them where no one walks.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ah, yes, the quintessential Chrome extension, written by an Opera user, ported from the original Opera version, and available for Firefox using Greasemonkey ;D

What everyone (including Google) calls extensions is nothing more (for what I read about them a while ago) than mere souped up user scripts, more tightly integrated with the browser, and easier to use/manage, as well as more powerful, but nowhere near what you can achieve with the Firefox extension system thanks to XUL, at least right now.

IMO Opera could achieve something similar improving the already existing UserJS, it has been petitioned more times than I can remember, and Opera has nothing against it, with the CEO always leaving a door open for further improvements in that area (official UserJS repository) along with a possible "extension" system. Dunno why still Opera doesn't have anything like that, either it's due to a lack of resources that are assigned to other areas (IIRC the core Desktop Team isn't as big as you might think), or simply a byproduct of Opera's lack of certain features (like HTML5 localStorage) as Opera is so damn stubborn in refusing to add certain features until they can be done using HTML standards.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I agree, I don't care how it's being done, this is "extension" functionality of some sort, and it's a lot easier to use than Opera's. A consistent refrain of the knowledgeable Opera user is "yeah it can do that, you just need to tweak this thing and that thing", which is great, but it's not going to increase their userbase.

Opera definitely works against themselves seemingly more often than not, and I agree it's a shame because they have a really nice product. When I first discovered Opera (shortly after it became free) I fell in love and stuck with it for over a year as a devoted fan. But as FF matured and gained extensions that slowly brought it on par with Opera's functionality and nice little touches (Past and Go anyone?), and with Opera going through a rougher patch around this time (the early 9.x versions were not great IMO), I made the switch back.

Nowadays I use a pretty even mix of different browsers, and it even varies by my environment, e.g. at work I use FF the majority of the time, with Chrome a reasonable second (maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the time spent in FF), and IE a distant 3rd, with Opera bringing up the rear in a very seldom-used capacity. That doesn't sound very even, but contrast it to my home use where recently Opera has been at least 30% of my browsing, with Chrome and IE each taking a reasonably even 30% as well, and the remainder made up with occasional FF use. Why the disparity? I actually use browsers a bit oddly sometimes, as a sort of task info management system specific to web content. So I'll leave 10 or 20 tabs up in a browser for a project I want to get back to. I use alternative browsers to make up for that in the meantime. So it can mean my browsing habits shift from time to time, as a project is dealt with and its tabs retired for example.

So with that in mind, I will say that my recent heavier Opera use is mainly because it's just another browser option, not because I specifically appreciate it above say FF or Chome. In fact Opera used to be my choice for light, clean, and fast browsing, but generally Chrome fills that role now, with FF as the heavy workhorse for when I need to do more, need extensions, etc. Opera just doesn't have a lot to distinguish itself now, and Unite is not going to do it I don't think. There are a lot of things they *could* do to recover their position I think, but they seem too stubborn to do so. Still, I'll probably keep using it as an alternative as long as it's available...

- Oshyan

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Add to the fact that users are looking for browsers to provide speed on top of features they can only get by building the extensions themselves. Compared to Opera, basic Firefox doesn't impress me. However, add any number of killer extensions to Firefox and suddenly it's an exciting app.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FF does slow down with more extensions. We'll see how Chrome fares in that regard. But Chrome starts out a lot faster than FF anyway, so it's got more headroom. :D There has been some contention that Opera avoids extensions for performance reasons in the past, but I'd wager Chrome will disprove that idea in short order...

- Oshyan

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Once the roboform extension is successfully implimented I will be moving to chrome. Firefox is nice but chrome is just far more responsive, quicker to startup, and feels more fluid. I do wish it had more options available to configure but I really don't require that. It operates well out of the box and only a few things need to get added to it for me to be happy:

• Foxclocks substitute (world time zones)
  • Roboform
  • Tab clicking options

Overall, chrome feels great. I just wish opera would stop trying to tell the users what they should use and let them decide for themselves. I've heard rumors that Apple is going to open up safari in a similar manner which would leave, for all intents and purposes, Opera alone in the realm of major browsers which do not support extensibility. UserJS is nice but it is limited. Oh well.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...I will be moving to chrome. Firefox is nice but chrome is just far more responsive, quicker to startup, and feels more fluid. Overall, chrome feels great.

Based on the nightly Linux builds of Chrome, I'll likely move that direction, too. I do the Google Docs, Calendar, email, and Chrome/Linux also does twitter well, too. Simplify my computing and you simplify my life.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...I will be moving to chrome. Firefox is nice but chrome is just far more responsive, quicker to startup, and feels more fluid. Overall, chrome feels great.

Based on the nightly Linux builds of Chrome, I'll likely move that direction, too. I do the Google Docs, Calendar, email, and Chrome/Linux also does twitter well, too. Simplify my computing and you simplify my life.

Remember this day, Zaine and I agree on something! ;-)

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How the hell does Opera still make money? (I'm genuinely curious since they are giving away their browser and don't have the bazillion dollars the Mozilla foundation gets from using google as the default search).

For me, its only Firefox. The slight speed hit compared to Chrome is nothing compared to the extra features and time saved from all the extensions. Its not just a browser anymore, it needs to be productive.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Opera is the biggest (read: only) player in the mobile browser market. No other player currently has a browser that runs on MORE THAN ONE platform (Keyword: Platform).

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How the hell does Opera still make money? (I'm genuinely curious since they are giving away their browser and don't have the bazillion dollars the Mozilla foundation gets from using google as the default search).

Oh, they do, since they have the same arrangement with Google Firefox has, in addition to other search engines and a few key sites. That's only on the desktop browser. With Opera Mini and Opera Mobile they have many more sources of revenue. Plus contracts and licensing of the engine for certain devices or software.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Once the roboform extension is successfully implimented I will be moving to chrome.

What is it that doesn't work?

Seems to work well enough for me, though I only use a tiny number of functions.

For me, its only Firefox. The slight speed hit compared to Chrome is nothing compared to the extra features and time saved from all the extensions. Its not just a browser anymore, it needs to be productive.

I've given Firefox a good go, but slid gradually back to Opera as my main browser. And probably Chrome/ium as No 2. I just find FF too slow to load, too slow to work - and that is with only a few extensions. I'd certainly be happier with Opera if it worked with Roboform or Lastpass, though I'm pretty happy that I have its passwords secure. And I'd also be happier if there were no programs that insisted on using ie to connect to the net.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Roboform works for chrome? I know they have the bookmarklet but that is NOT the toolbar and requires online access to work.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Roboform works for chrome? I know they have the bookmarklet but that is NOT the toolbar and requires online access to work.

Roboform have their own Chromium variant - Roboform Chrome.
Alpha, but seems to work well enough for me (most of the time anyway).

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, but I prefer one with the latest enhancements from Google. The one from roboform is not updated.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, not updated for a little while (end September). Depends what you want most. I prefer Chromium with Roboform to Chrome with latest enhancements. Would be happy with Lastpass, but that seems constrained by the same limits as Roboform really.

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
Opera has extentions doesn't it? http://widgets.opera.com/
They call them widgets... same thing?
The only problem is that nobody makes any useful ones... which isn't Opera's fault I think?
Or am I missing something?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Widgets extend the browser to the desktop, not the browser itself.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Slightly off-topic: Those of you still using Roboform, have you given LastPass a try? It has all the features of Roboform and doesn't need to be installed (works via a bookmarklet). I own a Roboform license yet don't use it after I discovered LastPass. You can export all the passcards from Roboform to it.
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I tried lastpass but do not like the idea of being REQUIRED to store my information online. The fact that the service is free also gives lastpass the right to say "This is a free service, we have no responsibility if your data is compromised". Not to say that would happen as they are very proud of their "Host-proof hosting" solution, but I would prefer this be optional.

markan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nobody mentioned it but Lastpass has a working extension for Chrome as well.  :)

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nobody mentioned it but Lastpass has a working extension for Chrome as well.  :)

So does roboform. Both LP and RF support bookmarklets for every browser as well. Roboform has a customized version of chromium, as mentioned above, built for it and LP appears to have finalized a working extension. I alerted roboform of the chrome extension system going live and one should be out shortly as they already had it developed.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've put Chrome on my laptop since the addition of adblock, flashblock and xmarks.
But FF is my default still on this rather slow machine, 1.8 sempron.

With this latest add on, Webpage Decorator, I may make it the default. Since I've been waiting to see a similar extension to FF's No Squint. This is...similar.
Using Control++ to change the website size is tiring.
This new extension remembers your font settings, a big plus imo.

https://chrome.googl...koghokmjmgbeejhfjncc

found via gHacks-

http://www.ghacks.ne...fonts-google-chrome/

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have to say, once roboform release their extension for chrome I am dropping firefox. Chrome is just so much quicker and snappier, especially on my low-end netbook and even more so on my high end x64 dell laptop. I am in love with chrome but need RFs toolbar.

On a side note, 2100 posts!