topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful  (Read 766023 times)

Winkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful
« Reply #550 on: May 11, 2013, 01:54 PM »
For my ultra-heavy-duty favorite pages, I made an entire (low tek) special home page with them. Thus it's available from anywhere, so I don't have to think about home comp vs phone vs friend's house vs net cafe vs hotel. It's just there.

I do the same thing for sites I think I'll want to come back to fairly often.   For the rest, I use Linkman Pro, which I love for many reasons, including its superfast search capabilities.  I keep an identical copy of Linkman on my netbook.
I also use Linkman Pro, but I have set MyBookmarks as my homepage/new tab page for the frequent visited pages. Previously I only used the bookmark toolbar in Firefox, but it became too crowded...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #551 on: May 12, 2013, 06:21 AM »
I believe it is a file manager that can tag every downloaded file, and replace Evernote
- all from within Firefox.
Looks rather intriguing. Shall give it a whirl, and see.
I posted a comment about the FF add-on mentioned above - TagSpaces - here (in the context of Tag standards): On the lack of standardisation in "tagging".
TagSpaces itself seems like quite well-made software, but I am unsure as to whether I could make much use of it in its present state.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #552 on: May 13, 2013, 12:14 AM »
I also use Linkman Pro, but I have set MyBookmarks as my homepage/new tab page for the frequent visited pages. Previously I only used the bookmark toolbar in Firefox, but it became too crowded...
One disadvantage of using a Firefox add-on to do this is that it works only in Firefox.  From time to time, I use Opera or Internet Explorer, and I have all my browsers set to use the same page of links on my hard drive as the browser's homepage.  That way, it doesn't matter what browser I use. 

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #553 on: June 04, 2013, 06:46 PM »
I have been trying out the FF add-on PopVideo, and it seems to work rather nicely. Looks promising. I think I might keep it.
Could be worth a look anyway.    :up:
The add-on manifests as a little white-on-blue-background icon tab of a video camera at the top RHS corner of a video window. It auto-hides, and only appears on mouse-hover over the video frame, so you might miss it at first glance (as did I).
I am not sure if the add-on will handle the views for all types of browser-based video clips - I am still trialling it.
PopVideo
PopVideo is a completely free add-on that pops out your web videos into resizable windows. Use our lightweight and powerful add-on to create a more immersive and enjoyable video viewing experience.

Brought to you by the crazy code Ninjas at WeKnowNet, the folks who created EatMyCookies, PowerZoom and EaseLink, PopVideo will transform your internet video consumption habits.

PopVideo takes an ordinary video embedded on a web page, and pops it out of the page, allowing you to resize and move your video around the page. Why be a sucker and watch a small, sad video stuck in the middle of a page when you can POP it out and live the big cinema video life?

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #554 on: June 04, 2013, 07:50 PM »
Does this Skrommel software do the same thing?

https://www.donation...dex.html#DetachVideo

Or differently. I've used this little jewel off and on for a long time now.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #555 on: June 05, 2013, 07:09 AM »
Does this Skrommel software do the same thing?
https://www.donation...dex.html#DetachVideo
Or differently. I've used this little jewel off and on for a long time now.
Ah, thanks. I had forgotten about that software. Never tried it out either.
It looks as though it achieves a similar outcome to PopVideo, but in a different way.
I shall have to take a look and see...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #556 on: June 15, 2013, 07:34 AM »
Quote URL Text_1.0.9b (title, url, quote, date)
multicopy_1.1 (list of Ctrl-c clips)
Scrapbook_1.5.6
Web Of Trust
firefox_18.0.1 in live linux puppy-precise_5.4.3 from DVD-RW in amd64 box

I have been using this add-on for some time now and am keeping it. It really is useful and a real timesaver.
The great thing is that the selected text and all the associated URL metadata is saved as text into CHS (Clipboard Help & Spell) - which is a feature in CHS that I have wanted for quite a while.
Developer's website: http://qoelabs.com/quoteurl.php
Mozilla addon site: https://addons.mozil.../addon/quoteurltext/

I went to the latter website, highlighted some text, pressed Ctrl+Shift+C, and pasted the text in the Clipboard below, in the quote. Note that the emboldened text in the quote was the selected text, to differentiate it from the rest of the text - which is related metadata collected by the add-on.
QuoteURLText :: Add-ons for Firefox
https://addons.mozil.../addon/quoteurltext/
Sun Jun 16 2013 00:08:19 GMT+1200 (New Zealand Standard Time)
QuoteURLText 1.0.9b
by Jay Palat

Quote URL text will copy selected text to the clipboard including Page Title, Location and copy date.

Pretty nifty.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #557 on: August 08, 2013, 04:15 AM »
Re-reading this post, I can now understand it may be important to say:
it has nothing to do with facebook!

---------------------------------------
Original post:

I was looking for something to make it acceptable to visit facebook...
but found "about:addons-memory" [a:am] and "RAM Tab" instead:

1) https://addons.mozil.../about-addons-memory (by Nils Maier)
2) https://addons.mozil...irefox/addon/ram-tab

The problem with facebook (making the browser not answering) has gone, something was changed for the better, but I still like the informations given by Maier's addon [a:am]. It is of course not meant to be activated all of the time - just turn it on when you install a new addon, or when things have been updated or are acting weirdly.

The "ram-tab" is merely a button to make a:am easy accessible.

Dear press,

no, it is not OK to install this add-on along with the Top 20 or something add-ons and publish articles singling out the "biggest memory wasters" or something along the lines of this. This is wrong, superficial, sensationalist and outright wrong.

Adblock Plus, being the most popular add-on, using 20-30 MB of memory is not a problem. Add-ons that may use hundreds of mega bytes of memory with steadily growing memory usage *may* be a problem and this add-on is intended to find exactly these kinds of issues more easily.
-Nils Maier

You might not bother to click-to-enlarge my screenshot (519x3194 pixels!), so let me just tell its conclusion: My many extensions and addons for Firefox are using a total of merely 10MB. I think it is amazingly little! Even the handful that are using the most, are in my opinion using very little; how many "programs" do you have that are merely using a MB or less?

2013-08-08_103604.gifFirefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

appended:
I must admit, at first the informations from a:am made me de-activate a handful of addons. But when I then thought of it, I realized I merely had gained 3MB, and really, what is 3MB?! No, I will stick to my former claim: It is amazing how little memory all these addons are using!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:03 AM by Curt, Reason: 519x3194 pixels »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #558 on: October 23, 2013, 01:56 PM »
I wonder if anyone knows an AddOn or setting that would allow the web site's images,backgrounds and colors to come through, but also allow text and link colors to be overridden?  The built in FF settings allow me to choose text, non-visited, and visited link colors. But they won't be used if "Allow sites to use their own colors" is checked.

What I'm running into is nice themes on forums but the text is hard to read.  If I could only override the text colors I'd be golden.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #559 on: October 23, 2013, 02:03 PM »
Stylish perhaps is your answer... :)

Note: Not affliated with that addon just a user of it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #560 on: October 23, 2013, 03:04 PM »
Stylish perhaps is your answer... :)

Note: Not affliated with that addon just a user of it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I dabbled with it. But trying to edit each site is too time intensive(assuming no ready-made themes produce legible text.)  I think the real answer would be in the Firefox settings.  In the color picker there should be a special choice called "pass through" to leave that color alone.  That way changes could be enforced in one or two categories.  A lot simpler for the user.  Although it's probably more difficult to program.

Winkie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #561 on: October 24, 2013, 12:20 PM »
Color toggle maybe? (I don't use that one myself)

For hard to read pages I use No Color.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #562 on: October 24, 2013, 02:15 PM »
Color toggle maybe? (I don't use that one myself)

For hard to read pages I use No Color.

:)  I was just coming back to report I found Color Toggle.  :)

I set up my color scheme with "allow pages" unchecked .. and the alternate scheme I left at default/don't care with "allow pages" checked.  So it amounts to toggling "allow pages" setting with a hotkey.  At least it's a start.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #563 on: October 25, 2013, 02:18 AM »
I wonder if anyone knows an AddOn or setting that would allow the web site's images,backgrounds and colors to come through, but also allow text and link colors to be overridden?  The built in FF settings allow me to choose text, non-visited, and visited link colors. But they won't be used if "Allow sites to use their own colors" is checked.
What I'm running into is nice themes on forums but the text is hard to read.  If I could only override the text colors I'd be golden.
Not sure if this is what you want, but you could try NoSquint:
I've been using it for a while now to reduce glary webpages, including DCF, after someone in DCF pointed it out.

NoSquint - settings for Firefox add-on.png
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:31 AM by IainB »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #564 on: October 25, 2013, 02:28 AM »
Came across this todayand am trying out the user script version rather than the add-on; seems quite handy:
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
TitleQ
a FireFox extension for faster browsing
TitleQ is a browser enhancement that lets you jump between headlines on a page. You do this by pressing Ctrl + Arrow Up/Down. This can speed up reading blog frontpages and similar, where you quickly want to skim through the article headlines.

Download from Mozilla AddOns:
Download TitleQ

Note: If you have GreaseMonkey (or equivalent) installed, you can download this extension as a user script instead: TitleQ.user.js
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 02:34 AM by IainB »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #565 on: October 25, 2013, 09:28 AM »
but you could try NoSquint:
I've been using it for a while now to reduce glary webpages, including DCF, after someone in DCF pointed it out.
 (see attachment in previous post)

Thanks.  I'll try it.  :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #566 on: October 26, 2013, 02:21 AM »
One for those that dislike cookies: Self-Destructing Cookies

Cookies when you need them, not when others need them to track you - gets rid of a site's cookies and LocalStorage as soon as you close its tabs. Protects against trackers and zombie-cookies. Trustworthy services can be whitelisted.

2013-10-26 18_10_43-.png 2013-10-26 18_24_35-Firefox Extensions_ Your favorite or most useful - DonationCoder.com - Pale Moon.png

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #567 on: October 26, 2013, 08:22 AM »
I wonder if anyone knows an AddOn or setting that would allow the web site's images,backgrounds and colors to come through, but also allow text and link colors to be overridden?  The built in FF settings allow me to choose text, non-visited, and visited link colors. But they won't be used if "Allow sites to use their own colors" is checked.

What I'm running into is nice themes on forums but the text is hard to read.  If I could only override the text colors I'd be golden.

You could try this one.

https://addons.mozil...addon/no-small-text/

It sets a minimum text size for all web pages.

And for color, from the same developer.

https://addons.mozil...x/addon/colorific-1/

A dozen or more color themes for the browser.

Here is all the add-ons from this "pjs"

https://addons.mozil...fox/user/SloetjesPJ/

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #568 on: October 26, 2013, 09:37 AM »

Mmm, interesting.  Thanks for mentioning this.

Supposedly no restart required either -- though a bit complex-seeming after first installation.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #569 on: October 26, 2013, 09:38 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  :)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #570 on: October 27, 2013, 12:44 AM »
Supposedly no restart required either -- though a bit complex-seeming after first installation.

Not really, you click on the icon in the Addon bar and then select when you want to have that sites cookies terminated, (or not).

Otherwise, you can go to its options, (through Add-ons Manager), and change what you like, they're pretty self-explanatory.

The only things I've changed are:
Grace Period - now 3 seconds
Notifications - checked
Include Local Storage - checked
Clear cache when idle - 30 minutes
Strict Cookie Access Policy - checked
Icon and Menu Entries - checked

Another add-on: Mozilla has released Lightbeam - it originally started life as Collusion.

The origins of Lightbeam
Lightbeam began in July 2011 as Collusion, a personal project by Mozilla software developer Atul Varma. Inspired by the book The Filter Bubble, Atul created an experimental add-on to visualize browsing behavior and data collection on the Web.

2013-10-27 16_39_31-Lightbeam - Pale Moon.pngFirefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful

Normally you'd have lines linking all the sites and a few triangles signifying third-party sites you've connected to that href back to the originating site - so I guess all my anti-tracking stuff kind of works :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 12:50 AM by 4wd »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #571 on: October 27, 2013, 02:49 AM »

Not really, you click on the icon in the Addon bar and then select when you want to have that sites cookies terminated, (or not).

Well, being presented with a new browser window with a fair bit of text to go through counts as seemingly-complex to me -- even if it doesn't turn out to be complex :)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #572 on: October 27, 2013, 07:50 AM »
I use Lastpass, Xmarks, Adblock and Getpocket :)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #573 on: October 27, 2013, 09:44 AM »

Cookies when you need them, not when others need them to track you - gets rid of a site's cookies and LocalStorage as soon as you close its tabs. Protects against trackers and zombie-cookies. Trustworthy services can be whitelisted.
(see attachment in previous post)  (see attachment in previous post)

I use this on Android, and it seems to work, but on Firefox for Windows, I prefer CookieCuller which is very simple but gives me much better manual control over which cookies I want to allow and for how long I want to keep them.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #574 on: November 13, 2013, 01:30 AM »
Pale Moon Commander for those that like to have a bit more, (and easier), control over their Pale Moon/Firefox options.

2013-11-13 18_25_58-Pale Moon Commander.png

From the developer's website:

There be dragons here!

Using Pale Moon Commander to change advanced preferences is potentially dangerous and can leave your browser profile in a potentially unusable state. If you don't know what a setting is for, don't touch it. A number of the preferences made accessible through the add-on can prevent proper operation of the browser.

Because all the add-on does is change preferences, you can, at all times, reset the preferences by starting Pale Moon with the SHIFT key depressed, and selecting "Reset preferences to Pale Moon defaults". Of course this will also reset any other modified preferences you may have.

Use of this add-on is at all times at your own risk. I do not give warranty or guarantees, and it is provided "as-is" although I've done my best to make sure it works as-intended.