topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for December 21st, 2008 - Codename "Tree Ornaments"  (Read 28934 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for December 21st, 2008
Codename "Tree Ornaments"

"If you read nothing else on our site, read our blog!"
(new rss feed with images)

1. Newsletter Editorial - NANY 2009 Approaches!

Well, only 10 more days until the New Year and the official release of the NANY 2009 Applications.  What is NANY 2009?  NANY stands for "New Apps for the New Year", and it's a little challenge we hold every year to encourage coders who hang out on DonationCoder.com to write and release a new program.  We have a ton of participants who have pledged to release something new and many are available to download and experiment with now.

In addition, although my normal custom is to spend holidays programming, this New Year's it looks as if I'm going to get a visit from DC members Gothi[c] (our intrepid server admin and expert coder), and his wife Della.  I'd like to warmly welcome any other DC member within driving range to come join us.  It will be a low-key, uneventful get together. I'm not generally very social, so I wouldn't re-arrange your schedule if it means missing a party where you might have a chance of talking to that girl/guy you have a crush on! However, if you are living a geeky, solitary life, why not come have dinner with us?  There is plenty of room to camp out in my house for the night.  See the post below for more info.

2. NANY 2009 Updates

The NANY 2009 event looks like it will have more participants than ever before.. Let's review the basic ground rules:

We encourage all programmers, of any skill level (many are just beginners), to write a new, small, free program to be released on or around December 31st.  You'll find that some submissions are silly, some are horrific, some are quite useful.  It's a really fun event for coders and non-coders alike, and there are always some interesting surprises.

As with all of our previous NANY events, this isn't a contest to see who can write the best program. It's mostly a celebration of creating something new.  So, in that spirit, we don't really award prizes, but we will be sending out a special commemorative DonationCoder.com coffee mug featuring our cute bird/duck mascot Cody to all participating programmers.  If you know a programmer who you think would get a kick out of participating, please let them know!

3. DC in the News

Life has it's ups and downs -- one day you are on top of the world and the next day you are in the gutter staring up at the stars..  This edition of the newsletter brings a mix of good and bad.  We found out that Z. Ridling's review of archive tools on our site was mentioned in a serious book on compression algorithms, and my own Find and Run Robot program finally got noticed by a couple of the big software download sites.  On the downside, long time DC member Joto is back in the hospital again, and we're asking people to send him another postcard, since that seemed to help him last time.  And the discovery of a new micropayment site using a mascot that is too similar to ours for my tastes, has left me frustrated and ill at ease.  Lastly, I put out the call for DC members in the area to join me for a New Years dinner.

4. Your Participation Requested

No matter what your level of computer knowledge, or how long you've been a DC member, we'd love your input! See the links below for some good places to jump in and make your first post.

Let me also point you to a revived thread on the forum about suggested changes to the DonationCoder.com approach to raising money.  We haven't had a fundraiser in a few years and depend entirely on donations from users to keep this site running.  With the worldwide economy in crisis, things are a little scary.. so we need to make sure that we continue to provide a service that people feel is worth supporting, and provide a mechanism that allows them to do so that they don't find alienating.

5. Fun and Games

A bit of DC on the lighter side - humour, videos, and games.. Something for everyone.

6. News You Can Use

DC Member Ehtyar's weekly roundup of tech news has become a big hit on the forum.  Always a good mix of security issues and mysteries of the universe.

7. The Weird Wide Web

If you come across something interesting while you're surfing the web, feel free to post a link to it on the forum. Here's a sample of such esoterica that others found interesting.

8. General Software Discussion

A lot of the discussions on the DC boards focus on categories of software. These are a great resource it you're looking for a software solution for a particular need. Here are some threads started on DC since the last newsletter:

9. Specific Software Discussion

Often the threads started in the general software discussion wind up evolving into discussions of specific applications:

10. Member Scripts and Coding Snacks

A lot of quality software is available at DC, all of it coded by DC members. Read below for some recent announcements about new applications or updates to applications.  Pay special attention to our Coding Snacks section.  Coding snacks are lite treats for the software aficionado. If there is some tool that you've been looking for, without success, you have nothing to lose by asking... Post a clear description of what you're looking for and one of Donationcoder's resident coding gurus might just take up the challenge.

11. Developer's Corner

There is something of interest for everyone on the Developer's Corner - don't be deceived by the name! It's more than just a forum for the discussion of software development, it's also a place in which entrepreneurial issues, how the current direction of hardware and software development will impact on end-users, how current DRM models affect developer and consumer alike, and much more are discussed.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:12 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
Re: --> Newsletter for December 21st, 2008 - Codename "Tree Ornaments"
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 05:28 PM »
Thanks to Darwin as always for teaming up with me on the newsletter.. wouldn't get done without him.  :up:

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 06:57 PM »
I sure do love these newsletters. Each and every time there they show something I had otherwise missed  :Thmbsup:

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 02:48 AM »
great work mouser and darwin!  :)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 03:40 AM »
Yes, thanks mouser and Darwin  :Thmbsup:

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 04:06 AM »
Excellent as always fellas :)

Ehtyar.

bobzero

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 03:25 AM »
 :)This site Rocks! :Thmbsup:

~~~~Happy Holidays to all~~~~
 8)Merry Christmas :-*

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 03:46 AM »
Thanks to mouser and darwin and everyone else involved (people who started threads or responded to them). :Thmbsup:

insert_nick

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • @insert_nick
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 08:32 AM »
Thanks for it.

ptitom92

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 12:30 PM »
Yes, thanks mouser and Darwin

mateek

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • NewPray.com - A description of a broken window for world peace, law proposals, prophecy explanations, conspiracies, and more.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 02:55 AM »
I enjoyed this month's newsletter very much.  I found some great muti-monitor stuff,  got some laughs, read some great articles, and came up with a bunch of good ideas. 

many thanks.
Stop war, change U.S. Politics, Kabbalah, my case modding, etc: My Website.