topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 4:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The All Day Coding Dojo  (Read 6152 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The All Day Coding Dojo
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:29 AM »
A month ago, I ran an "All Day Coding Dojo" event as part of the London Games Festival Fringe 2008. The idea is to run a complete game development project in a single day so that the attendees can experience working in a team and discover first hand the trials and tribulations of making a game.

Brighton Coding Dojo

I first experienced Coding Dojos at the Brighton Coding Dojo. These were held in the evening and lasted a couple of hours. This worked well for forming a disparate group of people. I tried this at work with my team, but we found that work intruded to easily and people found it hard to concentrate.

All Day Coding Dojo format

This is a new term that I have coined. As part of my Agile/Scrum process we operate a "Gold Day" where developers are allowed to do any work they want to for a whole day every two-week sprint. This is somewhat akin to the Google 10%. I decided to run an All Day Coding Dojo which would act as a mini Agile/Scrum project.

from friendfeed

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: The All Day Coding Dojo
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 02:32 AM »
No information on how the game turned out? Bummer.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 06:54 PM »
I wonder if the concept could be expanded: let people finish projects or meet their goals instead of having them "do work".

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 12:50 PM »
I wonder if the concept could be expanded: let people finish projects or meet their goals instead of having them "do work".
Bah, what kind of IT system would that be?  Someone actually completing something?  Next thing you know you are going to be introducing Unicorn's and Dragons.... ;D