topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend some music videos to me!  (Read 1043561 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend some music videos to me!
« Reply #950 on: February 04, 2015, 08:04 PM »
@SB - I'm not quite as over the top about it as Stephen Fry is, although I suspect his tongue is very firmly planted it his cheek for most of it.

But I do not like to dance even though it runs in the family on both sides. My dad was an excellent dancer as was my mother. My two sisters are phenomenal dancers. I have a cousin who danced ballet professionally with the Joffrey and the ABT ballet companies among others. She and her husband (also a dancer) taught ballet out of her own private school for several years after she retired from performing. And my youngest niece is enrolled in a very serious dance program at the ripe old age of six. She just did her first Nutcracker performance (taking on two minor roles) last holiday season. And she wants to do it professionally as well. If so, she's definitely born into the right family. She'll get all the support and encouragement she needs if she pursues it.

Oh...and my GF absolutely loves to dance. Something she does extremely well too. That fact that I do what little dancing I do (mostly slow waltzes) is purely to please her. Fortunately there are always enough guys who do want to dance with her that I can usually sit back a weddings or other occasions and seem quite generous whenever someone asks "Do you mind?" ... to which I always reply: "Why not ask her if it's ok with her rather than me?"

Also, unlike Mr. Frye, I do like watching good dance performance: Ballet, modern, Broadway-type musical dance numbers, Balinese temple dance, hula, some avant-garde and/or experimental (such as MOMIX or Pilobolus), Irish and contemporary Acadian step-dancing (similar in many ways to the better known Irish variety but looser, sexier and not as stiff - see some glimpses of it here - watch the beginning and then fast-forward to about the 5:40 mark), and pretty much anything else that shows talent and looks good.

It's been said you can't be a great spiritual leader if you don't dance...

I guess I'm not a great spiritual leader. But I'm good with that. :Thmbsup: ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:25 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #951 on: February 04, 2015, 11:30 PM »
@SB - I'm not quite as over the top about it as Stephen Fry is, although I suspect his tongue is very firmly planted it his cheek for most of it.

But I do not like to dance even though it runs in the family on both sides. My dad was an excellent dancer as was my mother. My two sisters are phenomenal dancers. I have a cousin who danced ballet professionally with the Joffrey and the ABT ballet companies among others. She and her husband (also a dancer) taught ballet out of her own private school for several years after she retired from performing. And my youngest niece is enrolled in a very serious dance program at the ripe old age of six. She just did her first Nutcracker performance (taking on two minor roles) last holiday season. And she wants to do it professionally as well. If so, she's definitely born into the right family. She'll get all the support and encouragement she needs if she pursues it.

Oh...and my GF absolutely loves to dance. Something she does extremely well too. That fact that I do what little dancing I do (mostly slow waltzes) is purely to please her. Fortunately there are always enough guys who do want to dance with her that I can usually sit back a weddings or other occasions and seem quite generous whenever someone asks "Do you mind?" ... to which I always reply: "Why not ask her if it's ok with her rather than me?"

Also, unlike Mr. Frye, I do like watching good dance performance: Ballet, modern, Broadway-type musical dance numbers, Balinese temple dance, hula, some avant-garde and/or experimental (such as MOMIX or Pilobolus), Irish and contemporary Acadian step-dancing (similar in many ways to the better known Irish variety but looser, sexier and not as stiff - see some glimpses of it here - watch the beginning and then fast-forward to about the 5:40 mark), and pretty much anything else that shows talent and looks good.

It's been said you can't be a great spiritual leader if you don't dance...

I guess I'm not a great spiritual leader. But I'm good with that. :Thmbsup: ;D
For someone who doesn't dance, you sure are surrounded by it! 
I personally like dancing, I just suck.  I used to be quite good at it, even traditional type stuff...but I had a late, extreme growth spurt, and the lankiness was difficult to deal with.  I'm athletic and coordinate, I just didn't care after that.  One day, i might get back into.  Can't be good at everything!!  Wait...i totally forgot...I did do about a year of ballet 2 years ago!  It was fun and actually very freaking hard...I think all the girls in there were stronger than me.  But the few times I got in the groove a bit, it felt like dribbling/footwork of basketball.

Ok...now I have to look up like 7 things from your post.  Coffee is brewing...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #952 on: February 05, 2015, 02:08 AM »
How about some Caro Emerald?

She's got an interesting mix of 20s-40s swing, jazz, and big band(?), along with some modern elements. I'm personally not a fan of swing, and I especially don't care much for jazz, but I really like this stuff:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #953 on: February 05, 2015, 07:29 PM »
@Deo - like it even if it drifts dangerously close to hip-hop in places. She reminds me a little bit of Blossom Dearie with her vocal styling. Be fun to hear her with a real big band.  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #954 on: February 05, 2015, 07:33 PM »
For someone who doesn't dance, you sure are surrounded by it!
[/quote]

It is my lot in life to be surrounded by people who are much smarter and far more creative and talented than I am. Which is great. Because this way there's always somebody interesting to watch, talk to, or learn something from. ;D :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #955 on: February 06, 2015, 10:32 AM »
For some reason it reminded me of something from a long time ago. My first thought was "Baby Got Back" for visuals, but not sure.

Had the same reaction. It's not even really a song. It's more like what you'd call an extended riff in my book. It reminded me of an old clunker from back in the bad ol' 80s (which was pretty much an Ice Age for pop music) called I`m Too Sexy. It was...uh...performed?... by a rather odd saccharin skinhead duo called 'Right Said Fred.'

I could never decide if they were just another not-very-good 80s group - or if they were some elaborate "in" crowd put-down on the whole MTV/music video thing.

I just saw RSF mentioned here. Looks like they won't make it to Anarchapulco, but they're still touring. I've not seen any interviews with them, so I'm not really sure where they stand as far as you've talked about above. However, that they'd consider going to Anarchapulco, or be asked says a bit.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #956 on: February 06, 2015, 11:56 AM »
^I agree. For many, they're a successful and entertaining musical stage act. ;) If their fans wish to see them perform, I'm all for it. Considering I'm not "too sexy" for anything (including sex), who am I to say otherwise?

It's like Pringles®. I don't 'get' Pringles®.

grinch.jpg

But they sell well...so what do I know? ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 03:54 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #957 on: February 06, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Pringles!  They're fun to eat!  Fits on the tongue like a glove!
pringles.jpg

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #958 on: February 06, 2015, 01:21 PM »
^I think I'd rather just swallow a quarter pint of liquid starch with a little salt in it while looking at a picture of a potato chip. Same result, but less chewing needed. Although...in fairness, that 'can' they come in does find its uses when employed as part of a wifi cantenna. There are many better cantenna designs out there. Most using cans that hold stuff I'd much rather eat. But the Pringles version does do the job.

8)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #959 on: February 06, 2015, 03:35 PM »
^I think I'd rather just swallow a quarter pint of liquid starch with a little salt in it while looking at a picture of a potato chip. Same result, but less chewing needed. Although...in fairness, that 'can' they come in does find its uses when employed as part of a wifi cantenna. There are many better cantenna designs out there. Most using cans that hold stuff I'd much rather eat. But the Pringles version does do the job.

8)
oh man you reminded me...NSFW!
Spoiler
One of my friends told me an awful story involving a disgusting use of a pringles can.  It involved fireworks and scatological elements.  It does not end well.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #960 on: February 09, 2015, 06:49 PM »
@Deo - like it even if it drifts dangerously close to hip-hop in places. She reminds me a little bit of Blossom Dearie with her vocal styling. Be fun to hear her with a real big band.  :Thmbsup:

Agreed. I'm not a fan of rap or hip-hop in general. That said, I'm occasionally OK with things that are close to it if mixed well with something else I enjoy. Though, to the best of my memory, "Back It Up" is the only song that has anything close to hip-hop on that album. (Though I've been told I have a poor idea of what exactly constitutes hip-hop.)

Here's another one from Caro Emerald:

:D

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #961 on: February 12, 2015, 05:35 PM »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:10 PM by bit »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #962 on: March 06, 2015, 04:30 AM »
The Beatles rooftop concert. London 1969
http://en.wikipedia....s%27_rooftop_concert

havent watched it all myself yet ... nice to see the people on the streets too.
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #963 on: March 08, 2015, 11:34 PM »
Yeah... this isn't hard at all.  At least, that what her expression says.  Her playing says something else!

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #964 on: March 09, 2015, 09:31 AM »
Yeah... this isn't hard at all.  At least, that what her expression says.  Her playing says something else!

Hahaha! Yeah... Seems like it was a walk in the park for her. :)

The Beatles rooftop concert. London 1969
http://en.wikipedia....s%27_rooftop_concert

havent watched it all myself yet ... nice to see the people on the streets too.

I'll check that out later. Looks interesting!
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #965 on: April 04, 2015, 11:36 AM »
Eric Burden and the Animals.. This song gives me chills:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #966 on: April 04, 2015, 11:39 AM »

That kid has the goods.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #967 on: April 05, 2015, 01:45 AM »
It isn't my style of music and that is the only thing bad thing I can say about this guy.

With a talent like his, why does the US even put up with a Justin Bieber and consorts? This is awesome and I don't even like his style of music (too close to country for my taste). He reminds me a bit of John Denver (my mother did like his music).

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #968 on: April 11, 2015, 03:39 AM »
Yuja Wang - Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.2 - 1st Movement
Yuja Wang: Rachmaninov Piano Concerto - 2 - 2nd Movement
Yuja Wang: Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.2 - 3rd Movement
Playlist Index of above links
Firefox supports Youtube Unblocker to enable a connection in case you want to use FF with Tor Vidalia or can't see it in your country or proxy connection for any reason. :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 03:52 AM by bit »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #969 on: April 11, 2015, 10:27 AM »
Yuja Wang - Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.2 - 1st Movement
Yuja Wang: Rachmaninov Piano Concerto - 2 - 2nd Movement
Yuja Wang: Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.2 - 3rd Movement
Playlist Index of above links
Firefox supports Youtube Unblocker to enable a connection in case you want to use FF with Tor Vidalia or can't see it in your country or proxy connection for any reason. :)
Very nice, thanks !
.merle1.

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #970 on: April 15, 2015, 06:55 AM »

Quality of video and audio is very bad, however I like very much the performance (especially the first half of the video):

"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 03:42 PM by Giampy »

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #971 on: April 25, 2015, 03:49 PM »

Pleasant song, seductive singer, and a ugly mug guitarist  :) :

"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #972 on: April 29, 2015, 12:27 AM »
Wintergatan - Starmachine2000

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #973 on: May 05, 2015, 05:32 PM »
in memoriam
[...]
and a bit younger: Cry Me a River
https://www.youtube..../watch?v=wKNJj6MsGfI

* by Joe Cocker (I'll have to remember to add searchable text to video posts)

I bought that album since (Mad Dogs & Englishmen) and it's great - a real party-piece - and now that I look at the videos I see that they saw it that way too, but kept making great music. Note that some videos may be a wee bit NSFW but nothing too dodgy I dont think (didnt check everything).

in fact I'm struggling to choose which track to post :)
Try
Honkey Tonk Women (musical intro to 1:21 or so):

which sounds a lot better on YT ripped from vinyl - now you just need to sync the two :D

I couldnt really choose though, so, another couple of gems:
Feeling Alright,
The Letter,
Sticks and Stones
and
from Harrison and McCartney respectively:
Something & She Came In Through The Bathroom Window

(should have made a playlist...)
Tom

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009