topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend some music videos to me!  (Read 1043488 times)

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend some music videos to me!
« Reply #925 on: January 22, 2015, 01:05 PM »
^In my case, the chief inspirations in my formative years were: Paul McCartney, Jonathan Lodge, Andy Kulburg, Greg Lake, and Dave Paton. I'm pretty much UK inspired with the exception of Andy Kulberg. Hmm...roots in Motown but heavily influenced by that melodic UK vibe. No wonder I don't sound like anybody else according to people I've played with. I don't know what I am!!!! ;D

Yet another interesting coincidence. Once I hit my late teens, and started really expanding my musical palette, that UK sound was a huge influence on me too. I feel like the Brits had some real advantages for a couple reasons. The first is the regional folk music, which provided both the melodic element you mentioned, but also made their compositions less formulaic and pattern oriented.

Once the blues really exploded in London, there was an influx of jazz drummers and bassists recruited to provide the foundation for people like Eric Clapton and Peter Green. Add in the formally trained classical and jazz talent in the recording studios, both among the producers and session musicians, and you have a sort of perfect musical storm to produce a wide array of sounds.

I guess I technically discovered Greg Lake when a prog rock nut friend of mine gave me a copy of pictures at an exhibition. He seems to get dismissed as a bassist by a lot of prog rock fanboys because he's less about technical virtuosity than sitting back in the pocket. For me, of course, that's part of his appeal. What's even cooler, though, is how he throws in all kinds of harmonies you wouldn't expect, but he can still bring the funk.

What really changed my playing was when I picked up a stack of old Jethro Tull albums at a second hand record shop and discovered Glen Cornick. His bass lines from Stand Up, Benefit, and Living In The Past created the blueprint for their future arrangements, long after he was fired. Their version of Bach's Bouree is like a master class in how to glue a song together on bass. He starts out right up front, harmonizing with the flute, then slides back between the drums and guitar before throwing down a brilliant solo without a single wasted note, and then leads the whole band back in for the big finish.

What's really cool to me is how he integrates the low harmonies from the Bach original in the walking lines at the beginning and end. Even the first part of the solo evokes a baroque feel without ever losing that amazing groove.

I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #926 on: January 22, 2015, 09:34 PM »
I guess I technically discovered Greg Lake when a prog rock nut friend of mine gave me a copy of pictures at an exhibition. He seems to get dismissed as a bassist by a lot of prog rock fanboys because he's less about technical virtuosity than sitting back in the pocket. For me, of course, that's part of his appeal. What's even cooler, though, is how he throws in all kinds of harmonies you wouldn't expect, but he can still bring the funk.

For me it was hearing his bass line on From the Beginning on the Trilogy album. That was my "What the heck is that???" moment. It was...OMG...utterly melodic! That bass didn't only sound smooth and clear and beautiful - it could also hold its own balanced up against the tonal purity of a Moog using the awesome 'Cosmic Wow' patch!

Then I read his interview in Guitar Player and discovered he was using something called Rotosound Swing Bass strings on a really oddball (for the time) bass made by Gibson called The Ripper (or more prosaically the L9-S).

gp-sep74.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!    ripper.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!

I immediately switched to Rotosound strings on my Fender Jazz bass, and saved up as quickly as possible to buy a Ripper about a year later - which I still have and use as my main instrument to this day. It now sports nickel roundwounds from DR since D'Addario no longer makes the copper-wound strings I preferred to put on it. (They have recently introduced copper-coated strings called XL Reds - but they don't produce the same warm sound, or have the same buttery feel as their original wound 'Reds.' To me, that coating is mostly cosmetic.)

But that's me... ;)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:58 PM by 40hz »

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #927 on: January 27, 2015, 12:18 PM »
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 12:29 PM by Giampy »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #928 on: January 27, 2015, 12:57 PM »

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #929 on: January 28, 2015, 10:01 PM »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #930 on: January 28, 2015, 10:10 PM »

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #931 on: February 01, 2015, 03:48 PM »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #932 on: February 01, 2015, 05:53 PM »
America's Got Talent - Lilia Stepanova

Quite impressive !  I am just wondering why she is not using real arrow tips ?
.merle1.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #933 on: February 01, 2015, 10:11 PM »

Because accidents can happen? I'm sure it was the show management that insisted. :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #934 on: February 01, 2015, 10:33 PM »

Because accidents can happen? I'm sure it was the show management that insisted. :)

That was my thought.  You can demonstrate skill while removing risk... and it doesn't reduce the amount of skill required.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #935 on: February 02, 2015, 02:35 AM »

Quite impressive !  I am just wondering why she is not using real arrow tips ?

That was my thought.  You can demonstrate skill while removing risk... and it doesn't reduce the amount of skill required.
True enough but in this kind of TV show, they take some risks, I have seen knifes throwers, people who ingest light bulbs etc.  Anyway, that's not what matters, she is truly remarkable.  Thanks for posting this.
.merle1.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #936 on: February 03, 2015, 07:07 PM »

Not sure if this has been posted.

I love this video.  I generally scoff at these star studded tribute lineups.  but this one turned out pretty perfect.  Tom Petty's no nonsense leadership, jeff Lynne's shockingly beautiful vocals, Winwood being very tasty as usual, and the perfect Prince setup where he comes out of the shadows.  Supposedly, harrison's son specifically asked for Prince...and he claims to have heard the song for the first time that day (hard to believe, but he DOES live in a bubble).  Look at Dhani Harrison's face when Prince comes in, he is ecstatic.  And whoever the tamborine guy is, he is making every second of that count (i would, too!).  I LOVE how Petty gives Prince "permission" to go off on the extended solo, lol.

This video also keeps reminding me how brilliant Prince is when it comes to rock guitar gods.  This comment on the youtube is perfect:
This shows why Prince could never be a part of a band. He doesn't ruin it, but he does take over a but. he's almost too talented for anyone to really embrace him. People like their guitarists to hang back a bit. Brilliant though. Even if he's never mentioned among the best, he really is and we all know it. 

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #937 on: February 03, 2015, 08:44 PM »
@SB - Agree 100% with you on your assessment of superstar lineups and the quality of this number being an exception to the normally disappointing results most of those get-togethers produce. I don't really think Prince took over the performance as the person quoted suggests. Prince was tapped for the "show solo" and did what is expected when that role is handed to you. No more. No less. I found his performance nicely played and respectful to both the song and the rest of the ensemble. I'm not much of a Prince fan...but credit where credit is due. :Thmbsup:

The following is from another mega-rockstar tribute lineup that played for The Concert for George back in 2002. Pretty much anybody who was anybody in that genre (and still alive) was there onstage that night.

Here is Samantha (Sam) Brown performing Horse to Water. She reminds me a little of a beagle we used to own. We could never figure out how such a small body could pack so much raw vocal power.

Really nice sax work, piano playing, and some superb backup vocals on this one.

Sam's father (musician Joe Brown) closed the concert with I'll See You in My Dreams which is also worth a watch:

Just goes to show that even a corny old love song like this one (written in 1924!) can still charm the heart and ear if done well.  :Thmbsup:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
*Note: there is an unspoken but very real thing called "gig etiquette" that governs how (most) professionals conduct themselves when performing as a guest - or hosting non-band members - at performances such as these. The exact details of 'the rules' varies by genre of music (i.e. blues, rock, jazz) and venue (i.e. stage vs studio). Suffice to say, Prince's performance and stage manner was in perfect keeping with rock stage etiquette. But being the perfectionist in all things Prince supposedly is, I'm hardly surprised.
8)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 08:12 PM by 40hz »

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #938 on: February 03, 2015, 10:03 PM »
And whoever the tamborine guy is, he is making every second of that count (i would, too!)

Pretty sure that's Ray Cooper, and he's quite a bit more than a tambourine man :Thmbsup:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #939 on: February 03, 2015, 10:31 PM »
@SB - Agree 100% with you on your assessment of superstar lineups and the quality of this number being an exception to the normally disappointing results most of those get-togethers produce. I don't really think Prince took over the performance as the person quoted suggests. Prince was tapped for the "show solo" and did what is expected when that role is handed to you. No more. No less. I found his performance nicely played and respectful to both the song and the rest of the ensemble. I'm not much of a Prince fan...but credit where credit is due. :Thmbsup:

Exactly.  Harrison did ask for Prince.  And Prince asked him how he wanted him to play it.  And Dhani said the perfect tribute would be if you just do what you normally do- over the top and everything.  And he did.

Another interesting anecdote... he didn't practice the solo with the band.  He came in, they had a talk about it, and the length, and from there, they improvised it.

A lot of people don't realize what a talented musician Prince is in general, and on the guitar for this specific instance.  His ... uniqueness sometimes outshines his genius.  I think this showed a glimpse of that genius.

*Note: there is an unspoken but very real thing called "gig etiquette" that governs how (most) professionals conduct themselves when performing as a guest - or hosting non-band members - at performances such as these. The exact details vary by genre of music (i.e. blues, rock, jazz) and venue (i.e. stage vs studio). Suffice to say, Prince's performance and stage manner was in perfect keeping with rock etiquette. But being the perfectionist in all things Prince supposedly is, I'm hardly surprised.

This.  So much this.  He's such a perfectionist that he played nearly all the instruments on his first five recordings. (ref bio on Rolling Stone)

He might be strange and eccentric (and I definitely don't agree with his draconian attitude towards his music with fans)... but he's good enough to pull it off.

Also @40 I never caught until you were talking about etiquette he keeps looking over to Tom Petty who keeps telling him to go.

... and that fall off the stage!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:44 PM by wraith808 »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #940 on: February 04, 2015, 02:42 AM »
Perhaps interesting for some:

I saw that at a bar during a layover in KL. I wasn't sure if it was some kind of retro or old song that I missed or whether it was new. I only listen to news radio in the car, and we don't have a TV. For some reason it reminded me of something from a long time ago. My first thought was "Baby Got Back" for visuals, but not sure.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #941 on: February 04, 2015, 04:21 AM »
For some reason it reminded me of something from a long time ago. My first thought was "Baby Got Back" for visuals, but not sure.

Had the same reaction. It's not even really a song. It's more like what you'd call an extended riff in my book. It reminded me of an old clunker from back in the bad ol' 80s (which was pretty much an Ice Age for pop music) called I`m Too Sexy. It was...uh...performed?... by a rather odd saccharin skinhead duo called 'Right Said Fred.'

I could never decide if they were just another not-very-good 80s group - or if they were some elaborate "in" crowd put-down on the whole MTV/music video thing.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 04:35 AM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #942 on: February 04, 2015, 11:15 AM »
Apparently, opinions vary looking at their history...

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Right_Said_Fred

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #943 on: February 04, 2015, 01:06 PM »

From that, it looks like they're more a follow-the-market-trends-and-go-for-the-money sort of operation.

More power to them if so. That perhaps made them a successful stage act. But that doesn't make them what I'd consider to be a genuine band. :-\ :P

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #944 on: February 04, 2015, 01:21 PM »
And whoever the tamborine guy is, he is making every second of that count (i would, too!)

Pretty sure that's Ray Cooper, and he's quite a bit more than a tambourine man :Thmbsup:
It is Ray Cooper!!  lol.  I love Rainbow Rock; I think that's the album that really introduced me to Elton John.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #945 on: February 04, 2015, 01:22 PM »

From that, it looks like they're more a follow-the-market-trends-and-go-for-the-money sort of operation.

More power to them if so. That perhaps made them a successful stage act. But that doesn't make them what I'd consider to be a genuine band. :-\ :P
Weren't they on one of Gervais' shows recently?  lol.  ridiculous.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #946 on: February 04, 2015, 01:45 PM »

Isn't that what most dance music groups are, though?  ;D :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #947 on: February 04, 2015, 02:58 PM »

Isn't that what most dance music groups are, though?  ;D :P

Don't know. Whenever I try to listen to one, it all goes in one ear and straight out the other, leaving me hungry for some music to listen to. :P

Besides, people who play 'dance music' aren't doing it to actually listen to a band. They're doing it to dance. Either on the club's dance floor - or in their heads. Dance music and club mixes are primarily kinaesthetic rather than auditory sensory experiences. That's why they blast it they way they do. Like the lyric (singular) says: "<Boom-BOOM!> FEEL THE BEAT!." It's "all about that bass, 'bout that bass - no treble." ;)

But I don't dance much - or willingly. So I guess it's yet another one of those "different strokes for different folks" things. ;D

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:09 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #948 on: February 04, 2015, 03:27 PM »

Isn't that what most dance music groups are, though?  ;D :P

Don't know. Whenever I try to listen to one, it all goes in one ear and straight out the other, leaving me hungry for some music to listen to. :P

Besides, people who play 'dance music' aren't doing it to actually listen to a band. They're doing it to dance. Either on the club's dance floor - or in their heads. Dance music and club mixes are primarily kinaesthetic rather than auditory sensory experiences. That's why they blast it they way they do. Like the lyric (singular) says: "<Boom-BOOM!> FEEL THE BEAT!." It's "all about that bass, 'bout that bass - no treble." ;)

But I don't dance much - or willingly. So I guess it's yet another one of those "different strokes for different folks" things. ;D
:D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #949 on: February 04, 2015, 04:59 PM »
speaking of dance music

Dance music traditional Irish style (Séamus Begley & Steve Cooney)

& for contrast:
Sylvester - You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)

:P
Tom