topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:01 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend some music videos to me!  (Read 1043554 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend some music videos to me!
« Reply #800 on: September 24, 2014, 04:04 AM »
I like my jazz one of two ways:  Ultra-traditional or way-out-wacked.  Guess which one this is?
You like that?  More here -> http://www.youtube.c.../user/LakeStreetDive
Thanks. That was rather good.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #801 on: September 26, 2014, 02:18 PM »
Track of the day for me: Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Slight Return), Live Stockholm '69

music only starts @ 0:58 (direct link, cued)
Powerful bass there too; there's a drum solo towards the end - I always have to think of Nick Hornby claiming to have left a Led Zepplin concert during a drum solo for a quick pint and a game of pool in a pub next door - when he came back, the solo was just finishing. I can relate to that approach myself ;-)
Tom

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #802 on: September 29, 2014, 02:52 AM »
Love Jimi! It's funny how he says he forgot the words to All Along the Watchtower. :)

In the guitar line of music videos... this is some pretty funky stuff!

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #803 on: October 02, 2014, 05:49 AM »
"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #805 on: October 02, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Dark, deep, and powerful: Lucy Woodward doing Too Hot to Last backed by Snarky Puppy.

Of interest is the presence of not one - but two baritone guitars. They occupy the frequency range that falls roughly between a regular guitar and an electric bass. The 'bari' is an interesting and unique sounding instrument that's really hard to find a good place for in most arrangements. Coupled with a voice like Lucy's and lyrics like these however, the baritone guitar becomes the perfect accompaniment. Check it out! :Thmbsup:

----------------------------

Note: for enthusiasts out there, Mike League is playing an Eastman Sidejack Baritone, and Bob Lanzetti is playing a Danelectro of some sort. I have no idea what the model name is.

This is the sound of the baritone by itself along with a little discussion of why someone may want to use one:

8)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #806 on: October 03, 2014, 12:22 PM »
I like the range of that guitar.  I've actually found that I enjoy playing simple mid-tempo solos on the piano in that range from middle-c to a couple octaves down.  Makes it sound funky.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #807 on: October 03, 2014, 12:49 PM »
On baritone guitars:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Baritone_guitar

Metal bands started using baritone guitars in the late 1980s, as it became increasingly popular to "down-tune" or "drop-tune". Early examples include Carcass (using B Standard) and Bolt Thrower (Using A Standard on Realms of Chaos). Pat O'Brien of the band Cannibal Corpse has a baritone guitar to allow him to use the tuning G# without experiencing tuning problems because of his use of a Floyd Rose Tremolo.Dylan Carlson of drone metal band Earth played a baritone guitar on Hex (Or Printing in the Infernal Method). Machine Head also uses baritone guitars tuned to Drop B and C# standard (tuned 40 cents sharp). Robb Flynn, singer and guitarist from the band also has a signature Epiphone Baritone Flying V called "Love Death".

FWIW - I will NEVER use a Floyd again. They're just crap. I hate them. Got one now, and still hating it. I just don't like them - they decay like milk on a hot day. F that.

But I never thought about a guitar that way. I just thought of them as they were. (I grew up with different tunings.) I've done down-tunings, but never thought of "baritone". Then there were the 7-string Ibanez guitars too. Take Korn for example. Great stuff. Heavy low strings.

This is a great tune that shows that low thumping:

NSFW or NSFL!!!!

More Korn with that low thump (SFW):

This is a tune that would really have benefited from lower tunings or a 7th string:

I think a lot of metal could really benefit from those low notes more.

For example, can you see Angel of Death dropped a fifth for the main riff and that signature riff?

How much heavier would the heaviest tune of all time be?

And yeah, I like cello more than violin. :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #808 on: October 03, 2014, 03:56 PM »
I like the range of that guitar.  I've actually found that I enjoy playing simple mid-tempo solos on the piano in that range from middle-c to a couple octaves down.  Makes it sound funky.

I like it too even though everybody seems to play it with reverb or delay cranked up to the nines! ;D Not what I'd call subtle...unless you're a Spaghetti Western or hardcore surf music fan. It's extremely easy to overdo it. And the baritone's sound character is distinctive enough that it can easily overwhelm an arrangement. Snarky Puppy compensated by going completely over the top with the low end. It worked for that piece. But you can only do so many songs like that before it starts to get gimmicky. Mr. League walked a fine line and pulled it off. Most players don't have his level of musical training or enough good
taste to take chances like that.

My old band had a baritone in the equipment list. I used it on one song to good effect. Did a delicate octave doubling and some harmonizations on the bass line. The regular guitarist played bass on that song since he couldn't get his head (or hands) around the baritone guitar. Too much culture shock I guess.

Quick note: don't confuse the baritone guitar with the rare six string Bass-VI /Bajo Sexto that Fender sold back in the 60s and early 70s. It looks similar, but it's a totally different sounding and playing instrument.

rc_bajosextotele.jpg

bassvi.JPG

FWIW Ibanez currently sells an 8-string guitar intended for the Metalheads that can't get low enough with their 7-string grunge planks. Can a 9-string be far behind? ;D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:39 PM by 40hz »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #809 on: October 03, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Not a fan of more strings than 6 on any guitar, and 4 on the bass. Downtune all you want, just don't pretend you really want to go back up.  I think Death Angel and Slayer sounded fine the way they were.  Downtuning doesn't automatically mean heavy(er).  I've heard some decidedly god-awful CRAP done in drop B, and it would have been crap in E standard too; crap is crap, and gold is gold.
That said, when I get my next guitar actually built sometime in the next 10 years, it's gonna be strung up in C.  Just sayin'  :P

Quick note: don't confuse the baritone guitar with the rare six string Bass-VI /Basso Sexto that Fender had back in the 60s and early 70s. It looks similar, but it's a totally different sounding and playing instrument.

And what of the piccolo bass?  Which one is it gonna be?  All these overlapping ranges, a man could go MAD I tell you!

FWIW Ibanzez currently sells an 8-string guitar intended for the Metalhead that can't get low enough with their 7-string grunge plank. Can a 9-string be far behind?

Oh, for the love of Pete, just STOP... STOP I SAY!!  STAAAHHHHHHHPPPP!!

I SAID STAAAAAAAAAAHHH... oh never !@#$%^&ing mind...  :mad:

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:35 PM by Edvard »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #810 on: October 03, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Not a fan of more strings than 6 on any guitar, and 4 on the bass.

I'm with you. 6 for a git, 4 for a bass. However, I do own a Spector 5-string bass. (Spector was one of the first 5-strings that actually had enough tension on the low-B string for it to be playable and actually have distinct notes. Many 5-string bass's low-B flops all over the place and mostly sounds like mud.) Currently strung B-E-A-D-G. I'll probably switch it over to a high-C string set (E-A-D-G-C) instead since that low B string isn't all that useful. If I regularly need/want a low open D, I can always put a Hipshot tuner on the E string and be done with it.

That said, when I get my next guitar actually built sometime in the next 10 years, it's gonna be strung up in C.  Just sayin'  :P

Not Nashville or Methaney Nashville? ;)

The prototype guitar I'm working on right now has 5 strings and is tuned to open G ala Keith Richards. I love it. Now all I need to do is make one with better materials. Still up in the air about electronics although some combination of lipstick, mini humbucker, 'jangle-tron', and P-90 is definitely where it's going.

And what of the piccolo bass?  Which one is it gonna be?  All these overlapping ranges, a man could go MAD I tell you!

What of it indeed? I like the piccolo bass. Like it a lot more than going up above the 12th fret to get the same notes - but with zero sustain.

Checkout Zander Zon who "gets it!"

FWIW Ibanzez currently sells an 8-string guitar intended for the Metalhead that can't get low enough with their 7-string grunge plank. Can a 9-string be far behind?

Oh, for the love of Pete, just STOP... STOP I SAY!!  STAAAHHHHHHHPPPP!!

I SAID STAAAAAAAAAAHHH... oh never !@#$%^&ing mind...  :mad:

Agree! Really sucks (no better word for it unfortunately) doesn't it? Just goes to show, if you want something bad enough - you can get it. And that junk is about as bad as you can get it. :-\

Oh...since we're on the subject...don't forget that noble (but mostly forgotten) little gem of an instrument: the tenor guitar. Now that's one sweet little box o' strings.

Here's the modern Eastwood version:

But there are dozens of variations on it that go back to the beginning of the last century including some beautiful antique Martins.

Gibson even did an SG version they never released to production. This circa 1964 one-off has got to be among the rarest of rare Gibsons!

8)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:46 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #811 on: October 03, 2014, 10:30 PM »
All I have to say is that I see these posts on the guitar, and realize how far I really have to go.  I just wish I hadn't taken so many shortcuts when I was younger on the piano... a lot of that would come in useful now  :-[

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #812 on: October 04, 2014, 06:53 AM »
Oh, for the love of Pete, just STOP... STOP I SAY!!  STAAAHHHHHHHPPPP!!

I SAID STAAAAAAAAAAHHH... oh never !@#$%^&ing mind...  :mad:

7, 8 , 9, 10...

God! Before you know it, they'll have a 12 string guitar~! :P ;D

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #813 on: October 04, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Not Nashville or Methaney Nashville? ;)

Robert Fripp's New Standard Tuning, maybe.  Just maybe.

7, 8 , 9, 10...
God! Before you know it, they'll have a 12 string guitar~! :P ;D

"Don't Be Butt-Hurt"; song for 12-string BASS.
12. actual. strings.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #814 on: October 04, 2014, 02:46 PM »
Scott Fernandez's 12-string bass seems like it has more in common with a Chapman Stick or the sound of a clavichord than it does with the lute family from which guitars and pizzicato-style basses ostensibly trace their heritage. FWIW I'm starting to find the whole' tap-a-tap' bit is getting kinda old. It's fine as an accent point in a solo - if it fits within the context of the larger piece. (Think parts of Eddie Van Halen's solo in Panama or Somebody Get Me a Doctor for examples of where it does fit.) But a whole song (or show) worth of it? No thanks! It might have been real "rad" at one point. (Like maybe back in the early 80s?) But it's been so overdone after all this time that my ears switch off if neck-tapping goes on too long. And it doesn't matter how "good" it is. I'm tired of it. And I'm not alone.

------------------------------------

Note: about the Chapman Stick and neck tapping in general

Maybe it's just me, but I'm always amazed at how people go ga-ga over a mediocre performance of something on an instrument clearly not designed to do what's being asked of it. To me, it's like the proverbial "singing dog" at a Carnival sideshow. People lay their money down to see it. And they applaud the performance...but...I can't help wondering if they're applauding because they actually liked what they heard...or they were just amazed that a dog could 'sing' anything at all? Kinda like some of these parent-proclaimed "child prodigies" who play a musical instrument. They don't really play all that well. But they do play extremely well for a 5-year old.

IMHO there are far better instruments to play most of what gets played by neck-tapping a guitar or bass. Keyboards, tuned percussion, and harps come most readily to mind.

So can we skip fixating on the party tricks so much and possibly get back to making some fine music again?

Dunno...maybe it's just me...but:

tool.jpg

:Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:58 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #815 on: October 04, 2014, 03:14 PM »
Robert Fripp's New Standard Tuning, maybe.

It's an interesting experiment. And probably worth pursuing if you want to play that "not really jazz" thing Fripp does. :P

FWIW I think Alan Holdsworth does "not jazz" far better. And he uses standard Torres tuning most of the time. 8)

Speaking of which, here's Alan talking about his signature model Carvin:

To be honest, although I admire Alan Holdsworth as a musician and an innovator on guitar, I can't really say I find his sound and music to be all that enjoyable. Interesting perhaps. But not really enjoyable. He's kinda like John Cage, whom I admire more as a theoretician and experimentalist than I do as a composer or performer.

Just my :two:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #816 on: October 06, 2014, 09:00 AM »
This from OpenCulture.com

Musician Shows How to Sing Two Notes at Once in Mesmerizing Video

in Music | October 6th, 2014

Anna-Maria Hefele, a musician based in Munich, has an unusual talent. She can sing two notes at once. In the music world, it’s known as polyphonic overtone singing, and it’s believed that the practice originated and still endures in Mongolia. Above, Hefele offers a pretty captivating five-minute display of her technique. On her website, she notes that she offers concerts, lecture performances, and workshops in overtone singing. In fact, there’s a workshop being held later this month near Salzburg, Austria. Find updates on Hefele’s Facebook page. Enjoy!

She's pretty amazing! (She's also rather pretty too.  ;) )

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #817 on: October 06, 2014, 09:14 AM »
(Think parts of Eddie Van Halen's solo in Panama or Somebody Get Me a Doctor for examples of where it does fit.)

+1 for 40hz's analysis.

Panama cued up to a mind bending solo: http://youtu.be/w-NshzYK9y0?t=2m10s

(I never could nail that solo. Everything else was easy and fun, but the solo? Nah. I could never get it right.)

Somebody Get Me a Doctor cued: http://youtu.be/NkJOZOOXJWk?t=1m10s

It's more obvious in Panama though. Somebody Get Me a Doctor is more subtle.

But, there's a reason why Eddie is venerated as a guitar (demi)god.

Art often involves "infanticide". You kill your babies. You work and work and come up with this uber cool riff/phrase/paragraph/plot line/method/UI/whatever, and then you realise that you have to kill it. Because, well, various reasons. That bit was beautiful, and you loved it - it was your baby... and then you realise that it can't see the light of day in the broader canvas that you'll present to the world.

Salt and cumin are great, but pouring an entire package in your meal doesn't work.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #818 on: October 06, 2014, 09:18 AM »

Anna-Maria Hefele, a musician based in Munich, has an unusual talent. She can sing two notes at once. In the music world, it’s known as polyphonic overtone singing, and it’s believed that the practice originated and still endures in Mongolia. Above, Hefele offers a pretty captivating five-minute display of her technique. On her website, she notes that she offers concerts, lecture performances, and workshops in overtone singing. In fact, there’s a workshop being held later this month near Salzburg, Austria. Find updates on Hefele’s Facebook page. Enjoy!

She's pretty amazing! (She's also rather pretty too.  ;) )

Avi Kaplan from Pentatonix can do this too.

The Lion Sleeps Tonight

His parts in this song merge throat singing with dubstep overtone.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #819 on: October 06, 2014, 09:23 AM »

She's pretty amazing! (She's also rather pretty too.  ;) )

1. HA! Let's see the pitch correction* software deal with that! :P
2. Bah, that can all be done in the studio and fixed in the mix! :P
3. Yeah... pretty damn amazing! :D

But seriously, that was darn cool.  :Thmbsup:

I do wish that she would have used words in some places.

From the page:

the video is live, and every human being is able learn overtone singing ;) ....well...not starting directly with polyphonic overtone singing.... but singing overtones on one fundamental isn't too hard.

I would like to see her do a tutorial on how to do it. Just a very basic one. But everyone can do it? Wow. That's a big claim.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #820 on: October 06, 2014, 06:14 PM »

I would like to see her do a tutorial on how to do it. Just a very basic one. But everyone can do it? Wow. That's a big claim.

She does workshops. Just not around where I live.

But wait! There's more...

Here's an ensemble Ms. Hefele is part of: SUPERSONUS The European Resonance Ensemble ( http://www.supersonus.eu)

Ok...overtone singing, jew's harp, Harpsichord, Kannel (Estonian zither), and a Nyckelharpa (keyed fiddle) all on one group???

Awesome!

Definitely my kind of weird. 8)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #821 on: October 07, 2014, 04:40 AM »
Definitely my kind of weird. 8)
really good as well :up:

Saw a Mongolian guy doing overtone in concert a few years back but cant remember his name...
These were easier to find: this group played regularly in front of the Pompidou in Paris a few years back. There's a few videos of them in YT so they must have been 'in residence' for a while.

a couple of years later they evolved into this:

(I saw them around the time of the first video)
[edit] the first group at any rate are called Altai KhairKhan [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:52 AM by tomos »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #822 on: October 07, 2014, 06:57 AM »
Saw a Mongolian guy doing overtone in concert a few years back but cant remember his name...

Possibly Kongar-ol Ondar of Tuva? He's probably the most famous in the Western world. He was featured in the documentary Genghis Blues. And he was touring with Bela Fleck and The Flecktone some years back. Caused quite a sensation at the time. He passed away in 2013 at the young age of 51.

Here's Ondar demonstrating to an enthusiastic audience at the Fairfield University Quick Center. After that there's a short introduction of the three separate styles of Tuvan throat singing.

Tuva is an unusual country with a tragic history. Physicist Richard Feynman became fascinated with Tuva and attempted to travel there in 1977. His story about that ultimately fruitless attempt is documented in a book by his travelling companion Richard Leighton entitled: Tuva or Bust!: Richard Feynman's Last Journey

As a stamp-collecting boy always fascinated by remote places, Nobel Prize–winning physicist Richard Feynman was particularly taken by the diamond-shaped stamps from a place called Tannu Tuva deep within Outer Mongolia. He hoped, someday, to travel there.

In 1977, Feynman and his sidekick— fellow drummer and geography enthusiast Ralph Leighton—set out to make arrangements to visit Tuva, doing noble and hilarious battle with Soviet red tape, befriending quite a few Tuvans, and discovering the wonders of Tuvan throat-singing. Their Byzantine attempts to reach Tannu Tuva would span a decade, interrupted by Feynman's appointment to the committee investigating the Challenger disaster, and his tragic struggle with the cancer that finally killed him. Tuva or Bust! chronicles the deepening friendship of two zany, brilliant strategists whose love of the absurd will delight and instruct. It is Richard Feynman's last, best adventure.

There's an excellent CD by Ondar that's well worth a listen. It's called Back Tuva Future.

ondar.jpg

Highly recommended. :Thmbsup:

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #823 on: October 08, 2014, 03:32 PM »
Highasakite - Leaving no traces:
- A great song, about a heavy subject. Live version.

Mew - Symmetry:
- After all these years, this song is still as mesmerizing as when I first heard it (YouTube is being a d**k, so you'll have to watch this one on youtube.com).

Eels - Things the Grandchildren Should Know
- Very few artists write songs that have the same impact as a good Eels song do. Live version.

Noisettes - Never forget you
- It's a few years old by now, but it's still insanely catchy. This is an acoustic version.
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #824 on: October 09, 2014, 08:09 AM »
I like very very much Hiromi Uehara.  :Thmbsup:
I propose an astonishing video where she even alters the sound of the pianoforte by a unique manner that I have never seen before:

"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"