ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Recommend some music videos to me!

<< < (162/300) > >>

40hz:
Dark, deep, and powerful: Lucy Woodward doing Too Hot to Last backed by Snarky Puppy.

Of interest is the presence of not one - but two baritone guitars. They occupy the frequency range that falls roughly between a regular guitar and an electric bass. The 'bari' is an interesting and unique sounding instrument that's really hard to find a good place for in most arrangements. Coupled with a voice like Lucy's and lyrics like these however, the baritone guitar becomes the perfect accompaniment. Check it out! :Thmbsup:

----------------------------

Note: for enthusiasts out there, Mike League is playing an Eastman Sidejack Baritone, and Bob Lanzetti is playing a Danelectro of some sort. I have no idea what the model name is.

This is the sound of the baritone by itself along with a little discussion of why someone may want to use one:

8)

superboyac:
I like the range of that guitar.  I've actually found that I enjoy playing simple mid-tempo solos on the piano in that range from middle-c to a couple octaves down.  Makes it sound funky.

Renegade:
On baritone guitars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baritone_guitar

Metal bands started using baritone guitars in the late 1980s, as it became increasingly popular to "down-tune" or "drop-tune". Early examples include Carcass (using B Standard) and Bolt Thrower (Using A Standard on Realms of Chaos). Pat O'Brien of the band Cannibal Corpse has a baritone guitar to allow him to use the tuning G# without experiencing tuning problems because of his use of a Floyd Rose Tremolo.Dylan Carlson of drone metal band Earth played a baritone guitar on Hex (Or Printing in the Infernal Method). Machine Head also uses baritone guitars tuned to Drop B and C# standard (tuned 40 cents sharp). Robb Flynn, singer and guitarist from the band also has a signature Epiphone Baritone Flying V called "Love Death".
--- End quote ---

FWIW - I will NEVER use a Floyd again. They're just crap. I hate them. Got one now, and still hating it. I just don't like them - they decay like milk on a hot day. F that.

But I never thought about a guitar that way. I just thought of them as they were. (I grew up with different tunings.) I've done down-tunings, but never thought of "baritone". Then there were the 7-string Ibanez guitars too. Take Korn for example. Great stuff. Heavy low strings.

This is a great tune that shows that low thumping:

NSFW or NSFL!!!!

More Korn with that low thump (SFW):

This is a tune that would really have benefited from lower tunings or a 7th string:

I think a lot of metal could really benefit from those low notes more.

For example, can you see Angel of Death dropped a fifth for the main riff and that signature riff?

How much heavier would the heaviest tune of all time be?

And yeah, I like cello more than violin. :)

40hz:
I like the range of that guitar.  I've actually found that I enjoy playing simple mid-tempo solos on the piano in that range from middle-c to a couple octaves down.  Makes it sound funky.
-superboyac (October 03, 2014, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I like it too even though everybody seems to play it with reverb or delay cranked up to the nines! ;D Not what I'd call subtle...unless you're a Spaghetti Western or hardcore surf music fan. It's extremely easy to overdo it. And the baritone's sound character is distinctive enough that it can easily overwhelm an arrangement. Snarky Puppy compensated by going completely over the top with the low end. It worked for that piece. But you can only do so many songs like that before it starts to get gimmicky. Mr. League walked a fine line and pulled it off. Most players don't have his level of musical training or enough good
taste to take chances like that.

My old band had a baritone in the equipment list. I used it on one song to good effect. Did a delicate octave doubling and some harmonizations on the bass line. The regular guitarist played bass on that song since he couldn't get his head (or hands) around the baritone guitar. Too much culture shock I guess.

Quick note: don't confuse the baritone guitar with the rare six string Bass-VI /Bajo Sexto that Fender sold back in the 60s and early 70s. It looks similar, but it's a totally different sounding and playing instrument.

FWIW Ibanez currently sells an 8-string guitar intended for the Metalheads that can't get low enough with their 7-string grunge planks. Can a 9-string be far behind? ;D

Edvard:
Not a fan of more strings than 6 on any guitar, and 4 on the bass. Downtune all you want, just don't pretend you really want to go back up.  I think Death Angel and Slayer sounded fine the way they were.  Downtuning doesn't automatically mean heavy(er).  I've heard some decidedly god-awful CRAP done in drop B, and it would have been crap in E standard too; crap is crap, and gold is gold.
That said, when I get my next guitar actually built sometime in the next 10 years, it's gonna be strung up in C.  Just sayin'  :P

Quick note: don't confuse the baritone guitar with the rare six string Bass-VI /Basso Sexto that Fender had back in the 60s and early 70s. It looks similar, but it's a totally different sounding and playing instrument.
-40hz (October 03, 2014, 03:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

And what of the piccolo bass?  Which one is it gonna be?  All these overlapping ranges, a man could go MAD I tell you!

FWIW Ibanzez currently sells an 8-string guitar intended for the Metalhead that can't get low enough with their 7-string grunge plank. Can a 9-string be far behind?
--- End quote ---

Oh, for the love of Pete, just STOP... STOP I SAY!!  STAAAHHHHHHHPPPP!!

I SAID STAAAAAAAAAAHHH... oh never !@#$%^&ing mind...  :mad:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version