topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Recommend some music videos to me!  (Read 1043801 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend some music videos to me!
« Reply #725 on: May 29, 2014, 10:04 AM »
See how he arches his wrist over the edge of the body?

That's actually (supposedly) the more "correct" way to to do it. You see a lot of jazzers play that way. Largely (i suspect) because that "perched and peeking" over the bout was Jaco

jaco.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!  jaco2.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!

and Stanley Clark's thing back in the day. Lots of bassists who wanted to play like those two felt that hand position was the key to their unique sound. It wasn't. However, some flat out genius (in Jaco's case) - or in Stanley's case, a hell of a lot of study and practice combined with one of those gorgeous Alembic Series-I basses with active electronics -  might have had something to do with it.

Here's Stanley back in his Weather Report days with the scariest tarantula-like hand position imaginable (makes me think of the scene where Shelob was about to pounce on Frodo):

stanley1.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!

definitely creepy...although in later years he toned it down a lot. But he still kept that bend:

stanley2.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!

FWIW, that's a hand position I always found uncomfortable. I generally try to keep my wrist in a fairly straight line with my forearm. Far less worries about cramping or carpal tunnel when you do it that way.

On a string bass you need to arch your hand (and Stanley started on upright) because the strings are arced. On an electric with a fretboard radius between 7.25" and 9.5" you really shouldn't need to bend your wrist much if at all.

Either way, the "best practice" being taught by most bass instructors these last few years is to wear your electric bass up high and drape your hand over the bout. Can't say (having seriously tried it) that it brings much (if anything) to the party. But that's me. And don't even get me started on those effin' "bass ramps" that are all the rage.

And...I better stop here. I could (already did?) go on and on about this stuff. Apologies to all for rambling. :-[
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:19 AM by 40hz »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #726 on: May 30, 2014, 02:37 AM »
BTW, Jody's guitar is a (Steve) Klein in case anybody's wondering "What in the name of all that's holy is he playing???" (Most guitarists do btw.  ;D)
 (see attachment in previous post)
Awesome! :tellme:

Aww, yeah!  The boilerplate design for years of ergonomic guitar designs.  I remember that short time in the late early 80s when some guitar makers experimented with ergonomics (remember fan frets?) just before the hair farmers and their ridiculously pointy guitars showed up and trashed the place... :Thmbsup:

My ideal ergonomic six-string mademoiselle would be the Klein's inspiration, the Ovation Breadwinner.
Breadwinner 73 Brochure 4.jpgRecommend some music videos to me!
* Edvard drools salaciously

I saw Roy Clark playing a VERY rare 12-string model of the BW's upscale cousin, the Deacon, on a video of his concert in Russia.  The dude was AMAZING!  He put his own spin on a Russian folk tune and in the process broke prolly 7 of the 12 strings but just pushed them out of the way and kept rippin'.  That was the first time I put "Roy Clark" and "awesome guitarist" in the same box, and it wasn't the last.

I couldn't find the Russian concert video on Youtube, but here's the man doing something else awesome:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #727 on: May 30, 2014, 10:52 PM »
BTW, Jody's guitar is a (Steve) Klein in case anybody's wondering "What in the name of all that's holy is he playing???" (Most guitarists do btw.  ;D)
 (see attachment in previous post)
Awesome! :tellme:

Aww, yeah!  The boilerplate design for years of ergonomic guitar designs.  I remember that short time in the late early 80s when some guitar makers experimented with ergonomics (remember fan frets?) just before the hair farmers and their ridiculously pointy guitars showed up and trashed the place... :Thmbsup:

My ideal ergonomic six-string mademoiselle would be the Klein's inspiration, the Ovation Breadwinner. (see attachment in previous post)
* Edvard drools salaciously

One of the guitarists in my old group owned it's cousin the Deacon. None of us were in love with the sound of the thing. (It was kinda harsh played through a SuperTwin Reverb.) And it wasn't any more comfortable or balanced than a Strat was. But what the heck - if you like it, go for it!

That said, having personally had a shot at playing both a Deacon and a Klein, the Deacon is to a Klein as KittyHawk is to an SR-71 Blackbird. No comparison in terms of design, construction, finish or materials.

(remember fan frets?

I do. Lowden, Beneteau, and Dingwall have all used them. Dingwall currently makes some unbelievably wonderful basses that use fanned frets. I tried one (the AR5) at a music show. It didn't seem to want effort to adapt to it. I was comfortable after about 5 minutes. I figure a week of real practice would have been all it would take to no longer notice the frets were fanned. On a 5-string it definitely improved the low B string's clarity and intonation without resorting to a 35" scale across all strings like most good sounding "5-vers" do. Lee Sklar agrees so I guess I wasn't imagining it.

re: Roy Clark: man was amazing. Totally amazing.

ok...back on topic...here's a great live pairing: Australian blues guitarist Fianna Boyes teamed up with Texas swing steel goddess Cindy Cashdolar performing Fiona's song I Got My Eye on You. I really love the melodic interaction between these two on this song. You can see why Ms. Cashdollar is one of the most respected and sought after sidemen in the business.

:Thmbsup:

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #728 on: May 31, 2014, 02:16 PM »
One of the guitarists in my old group owned it's cousin the Deacon. None of us were in love with the sound of the thing. (It was kinda harsh played through a SuperTwin Reverb.) And it wasn't any more comfortable or balanced than a Strat was. But what the heck - if you like it, go for it!

I had my eye on them since seeing ads from the '70s, then in '93 or so had the delicious golden opportunity to actually play one, and was immediately sold.  It felt solid and comfortable and played like no other guitar I'd ever tried.  The guitar store turned down my credit or else it'd be mine right now, as well as the Mesa Boogie Mark IIc twin I played it through.  Amps and guitars should be 'matched', IMO.  The only guitars I've ever gotten to sound "right" through a Fender were either a classic Telecaster or a semi-hollow body by Gretsch or Gibson.  Never gotten single coils to sound right through a Mesa of any stripe.  I know there will be lots of folks disagreeing, but they also forget that Sound (capital 'S') is always subjective.  ;)

That said, having personally had a shot at playing both a Deacon and a Klein, the Deacon is to a Klein as KittyHawk is to an SR-71 Blackbird. No comparison in terms of design, construction, finish or materials.

Well, my that is a bit harsh of a comparison, but then again, I've never played a Klein, so I'd never know.  Breadwinner/Deacon's were more of a mass-produced thing anyways, whereas the Klein seemed almost like a limited production art piece, so yeah... :-[
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 02:28 PM by Edvard »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #729 on: May 31, 2014, 03:27 PM »
Well, my that is a bit harsh of a comparison,

Wasn't meant to be harsh. More like me saying it's nice to know that spending a ridiculous amount of money for a built to order guitar like the Klein actually got you something. Whether it was actually worth it is something the potential buyer would need to decide. I personally don't think you'd need to spend anywhere near what a Klein goes for if you're just shopping for superior sound or playability. There are plenty of far less expensive mass produced guitars and basses that will fit the bill. You'll just have to audition several before you find your ideal match.

FWIW I never spent more than $1200 (and that $1200 was only once) for any instrument I've ever owned - although a few in the collection are now supposedly worth considerably more than what I originally paid. I don't really get why. They're the same instrument they were the day I bought them. Just older and a little more shop worn. Like me! ;D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 03:35 PM by 40hz »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #730 on: May 31, 2014, 06:14 PM »
loving that cash dolla!  yo!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #731 on: June 06, 2014, 02:18 AM »
I've been really liking this song lately. (The music video isn't much to see, though.) As a person who doesn't traditionally like the saxophone, I feel it goes a bit crazy toward the end. But other than that, I really, really like it.

Letoile by Parov Stelar
From the album Coco (even though the video shows the album art from Part 2, it's actually on Part 1)

Or, more accurately: L'étoile.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:25 AM by Deozaan »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #732 on: June 11, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Another scary-good bassist by the name of Grant Stinnett out of Cambridge MA.

Here's Grant performing one of his solo compositions called Run of Angels. Fellow bassists might have trouble reconciling his fingering and sound with standard bass tuning. That's because he's using a piccolo string set (on a standard scale LeFay bass) that's tuned C-G-C-G.

This is a studio-live performance. No overdubs, effects or processing other than some light reverb are in use. Grant presented it as a demo of what he's capable of doing (and what an audience can expect) when seeing him perform live.

I like the hints of bluegrass, Shadowfax, Bill Ackerman, and Michael Manring stylings in various places. A very pretty piece of music in that odd jazz-influenced genre the Windham Hill record label made famous.

Check it out:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #733 on: June 15, 2014, 07:31 AM »
Keeping to high-brow music with refined tastes...

Guitar Lessons With Bubbles - Liquor & Whores

Liquor and whores
Liquor and whores
Cigarettes and dope and mustard and bologna
Liquor and whores

I went down
Drinkin' at the Legion
I met a girl she was nice
She was pretty and pleasing

She said "Hey boy
We should do some marrying"
I said sure but before we do
There's something that you should know

I like
Liquor and whores
Liquor and whores
Liquor and whores...

Then one night down at the legion
She walked in, I was drunk on gin
Dancin with a lady friend
She said hey boy, You'd better fly the f**k home
I said no cause five little words I coulda
Swore I said to you

I like
Liquor and whores
Liquor and whores
Liquor and whores...

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #734 on: June 15, 2014, 12:43 PM »

A nice version of Take Five:

"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #735 on: June 17, 2014, 10:12 AM »
@Giampy - Love it! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #736 on: June 17, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Nice  :up:

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #737 on: June 17, 2014, 11:53 AM »
Keeping to high-brow music with refined tastes...

If we're going for high brow, I give you Mojo Nixon:

And extremely NSFW (possibly not even safe for human consumption) Mojo Nixon:

Don't say I didn't warn you...

I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #738 on: June 17, 2014, 09:01 PM »
This one is for Superboy. Alison Moyet (with that lovely contralto of her's) doing Cry Me a River. Ms Moyet comes the closest to Julie London's definitive version of this classic. Truth be told, I like some of Moyet's phrasing and her less affected delivery (plus the overall band arrangement) just a tiny bit better.

Silky smooth bass and drums plus some excellent piano accompaniment, marred only by that clueless twit who is playing the most un-jazzlike of all guitars, the dreaded Gibson SG! (WTF? Seriously. WTF?)

Alison is just one of the many fine indie musicians soon to disappear from YouTube if Google goes ahead with some of its recently announced plans. >:(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:03 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #739 on: June 23, 2014, 02:21 PM »
Here's the lovely scene from the movie Once where we get to hear the song Falling Slowly.

Some background: The film is about a Dublin vacuum repairman and street busker (know only as "the guy" in the script) who dreams of putting a demo recording together and making a stab at a music career in London "once" he's ready.

While performing a few of his songs on the street he is approached by a woman (a Czech immigrant worker known only as "the girl" in the script) who annoys him by asking several questions about his songs. When he tells her he's really only a busker, and is actually an appliance repairman, the girl is delighted. She has a broken vacuum cleaner and asks him to repair it. After tugging her canister vacuum across Dublin the next day to his repair shop and getting it fixed she mentions that she is a musician too. When the guy asks if he can hear her play, she explains she's a pianist and doesn't have the money to buy an instrument. But she tells him there's a music store not too far away that lets her play the store instruments from time to time. They set off, him carrying his guitar and she dragging her vacuum cleaner behind her. When they arrive at the music store the following scene takes place as he shows her one of his songs - and to his surprise sees her quickly master it, sparking a near perfect duet...

I particularly enjoyed this because anybody who has ever played music seriously has a similar experience sooner or later. It doesn't even have to be this romantic - and it's usually not. But there are those magic moments when you're playing along with someone else and something suddenly clicks - and real music springs into existence.

It's one of the most gratifying experiences ever. And the thing that absolutely makes all the lonely and frustrating years of study and practice feel like a bargain - the best you ever had. ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:44 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #740 on: June 23, 2014, 02:35 PM »

I like it more than the original. :)

And apparently this guy is someone else from AGT:

His channel is full of great covers simply done...

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #741 on: June 24, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Here's the lovely scene from the movie Once where we get to hear the song Falling Slowly.

Some background: The film is about a Dublin vacuum repairman and street busker (know only as "the guy" in the script) who dreams of putting a demo recording together and making a stab at a music career in London "once" he's ready.

While performing a few of his songs on the street he is approached by a woman (a Czech immigrant worker known only as "the girl" in the script) who annoys him by asking several questions about his songs. When he tells her he's really only a busker, and is actually an appliance repairman, the girl is delighted. She has a broken vacuum cleaner and asks him to repair it. After tugging her canister vacuum across Dublin the next day to his repair shop and getting it fixed she mentions that she is a musician too. When the guy asks if he can hear her play, she explains she's a pianist and doesn't have the money to buy an instrument. But she tells him there's a music store not too far away that lets her play the store instruments from time to time. They set off, him carrying his guitar and she dragging her vacuum cleaner behind her. When they arrive at the music store the following scene takes place as he shows her one of his songs - and to his surprise sees her quickly master it, sparking a near perfect duet...

I particularly enjoyed this because anybody who has ever played music seriously has a similar experience sooner or later. It doesn't even have to be this romantic - and it's usually not. But there are those magic moments when you're playing along with someone else and something suddenly clicks - and real music springs into existence.

It's one of the most gratifying experiences ever. And the thing that absolutely makes all the lonely and frustrating years of study and practice feel like a bargain - the best you ever had. ;)

Hey, is that Glen Hansard of The Frames?

I think he (Glen) and she (Maria?) have a band together. Or at least an album or two. Definitely worth checking out.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #742 on: June 24, 2014, 07:36 PM »

I think he (Glen) and she (Maria?) have a band together. Or at least an album or two. Definitely worth checking out

I lived in Dublin when the Frames were in full swing (the 90's), but never saw them :-[

Heard one of Glen Hansard's albums when passing a record shop a couple of years ago - didnt know who it was, but it prompted me to go in and buy it -

https://www.youtube..../watch?v=MgFTM4sdW70
https://www.youtube..../watch?v=uZiCW4w3mI0
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #743 on: June 24, 2014, 07:53 PM »

I think he (Glen) and she (Maria?) have a band together. Or at least an album or two. Definitely worth checking out

I lived in Dublin when the Frames were in full swing (the 90's), but never saw them :-[

Heard one of Glen Hansard's albums when passing a record shop a couple of years ago - didnt know who it was, but it prompted me to go in and buy it -

https://www.youtube..../watch?v=MgFTM4sdW70
https://www.youtube..../watch?v=uZiCW4w3mI0

I didn't even hear about the Frames until 2003 or 2004. My sister invited me on a whim to go to a Damien Rice concert. I didn't particularly love Damien Rice's music, but I'd never been to a concert before, so I went. The Frames opened that evening and I bought their CD and have been a fan of them ever since.

I haven't kept up with Damien Rice. :D It was a pretty good/enjoyable concert, but I definitely enjoyed The Frames more.

BTW, I just looked it up and the band/album the two folks from the video up above have is called The Swell Seasonw. Her name is Markéta Irglová. Again, it's definitely worth checking out.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #744 on: June 26, 2014, 10:46 AM »
I've always been into 'home-made' music. That's where the compositions are original, largely improvised, and played on self-built, improvised, or invented instruments.

Over at the Cigar Box Nation website, members are invited to post audio tracks and videos of...whatever. Some are instructional. Many are simple noodling to demonstrate a technique or recently built instrument - and somethimes just a way of saying "Hi!" The quality varies widely, but it's all submitted in the spirit of community. None of that "Who Wants to be a Star" competitive nonsense. It's mostly amateur - and all just for fun. And the CBN community is very supportive - no matter what level of ability and natural talent (or lack thereof) gets shown.

Occasionally however, an original piece comes along that's a significant step up from what normally shows up there. This is A Long Night at the Carnival by a CBN member known only as Turtlehead. It's done with a pair of 3-string cigarbox guitars (one tuned GCE and the other CGC) plus a washtub bass. I think it's a remarkable example of just how good something like this can sound.

Check it out:

8)

Giampy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #745 on: July 01, 2014, 07:44 AM »

A beautiful old song performing a funny sound at time 0:07...0:08:

"A refrigerator without beer is like a body without soul"

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #746 on: July 01, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Just found this yesterday. Noel Paul Stookey (the "Paul" in Peter, Paul, and Mary) doing the PP&M take on an old Pete Seeger standard Kisses Sweeter than Wine. Lovely melody (via Lead Belly who took it from an old Irish tune called Drimmen Dow). It tells a bittersweet love story like all good folk tunes do. This performance is from the PP&M 25th Anniversary Concert recorded back in 1986.

You get to see a little bit of just how entertaining PP&M (and especially Paul) used to be back in the day as Paul leads the audience in a little sing-along. The results are amazing as the audience vocals gain an almost orchestral quality by the end of the song.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:43 PM by 40hz »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #747 on: July 01, 2014, 07:34 PM »
^^ Classic, man, classic.  As much as I appreciate this song, I have to admit my favorite is the first version I ever heard.  Shimmy Disc label head and creative whirlwind Kramer, and performance artist Ann Magnuson in their band Bongwater.  It's got a cool 'aaaalmost creepy' vibe to it, and the bit of spoken word at the end gives it a neat little twist.  All other versions I've heard since this one sound a little too 'sweet' to my tastes, but... well... ignore the video and listen to the tune:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #748 on: July 02, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Something for the guitarists out there.

Pat Metheny doing his version of Cherish, that big hit for a group called The Association back in the 60s.

This is an interesting arrangement performed on a baritone guitar using what Pat calls a "half-Nashville" tuning. Baritone guitars (for those who don't know) range an octave below a standard guitar. I like to think of them as the "cello" since their range falls between a bass and a standard guitar.

The most common tuning for a baritone is [B E A D F♯ B] or a perfect 4th below a standard guitar. Pat's half-Nashville tuning is a little more complex however. In that system the strings are tuned [A-E-c-g-D-A] which is a perfect 5th below a standard guitar - BUT - with the middle two strings (i.e the c and g) tuned up an octave.

The half-Nashville tuning allows for some very unusual tight and open chordal intervals that wouldn't be possible in ordinary tuning. The overall sound is huge and packs enough bottom end that you can send your bass player off on break when playing one of these puppies. In the  hands of a musician of Metheny's calibre it can sometimes sound like there are two players at work rather than one.

But enough jabber from me. Give it a listen:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:05 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #749 on: July 03, 2014, 05:53 AM »
Shimmy Disc label head and creative whirlwind Kramer, and performance artist Ann Magnuson in their band Bongwater.

Wow! Bongwater and Ann Magnuson! Haven't thought about that group in ages.

I love that term 'performance artist.' Lori Anderson (who was also so labelled) famously answered the question "Exactly what is a performance artist?" by replying "That's what the New York Times calls you when they can't figure out just what it is you do."
 ;D